IS Right Now the Most Divisive QB-Moment in Jets Fan History?

Warfish

For fans of those elusive comp picks, keeping Geno on the roster for one more year makes sense. He's young, has some natural talent, and starting experience. We've all seen how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. There could very easily be a GM or two out there who sees Geno as a potential reclamation project who suffered bad coaching and weak weapons in his time starting here. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign somewhere else next year in the $5M/year range - which might net a fifth round comp pick. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I lived it, it was extremely divisive. I still remember the "We want Matt" chants after Michaels benched him for lying to him on how he suffered his thumb injury.

Add that to the fact that Todd was a #1 pick, and Matt was a low pick out of Tennessee. It ended by us trading Robinson to Denver for the #2 pick in the draft, and ultimately passing on Anthony Munoz to take Lam Jones.:o It was then and there that I started asking questions about this team. Sadly, 37 years later, still asking same ones.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I ask, because I really think it is.

Never in my lifetime can I recall a time where Jets Fan Nation was so deeply, aggressively, and passionately split on who should play QB for our team.

Fitz?

Geno?

Glennon?

Petty?

Draft Pick?

There are folks deeply entrenched in each of these options, and they seemingly denounce every other option completely and utterly.

I think we're all well aware we, as a franchise, have a weak and limited history of quality QB play.  Namath, of course, and some other guys and thats about it.  

But can you recall a time where the fanbase was this divided over this many potential options before?

Anyone but Geno.  ANYONE.

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The Chad.

People either thought Pennington was elite as f*ck or the single worst human being to ever draw breath. 

I agree with this, I think it was Chad. We had people arguing that he was better than Brady and people who wanted him benched at the same time lol.

I'm in the Fitz at the right price or just go with Geno camp.

I do not think the go with Fitz at the right price is a minority view.

I don't think that or else Geno camp is that unpopular.

It's just that the or else go with xxxx camp has more supporters which is to be expected.  I just wouldn't give any thing up for the xxxx's of the world.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

I can think of one right off the top of my head.  1979...Matt Robinson v Richard Todd.  

THANK YOU WE HAVE A WINNER!! I couldn't remember Matts last name but probably was the most contentious that I can recall.  I think the team was actually divided as well. 

It's always divided, I have been following this team since the early 80s and it's the same cycle with our QBs.  we get a good year here and there but we can never get consistent high level QB play which is why we are never a consistent playoff team.  I suspect the fanbase will be divided until we get an elite level QB.  Hopefully that happens some day, we are due for one.  The one guys that closely fit that description was Namath but he was damaged goods so we deserve a long term healthy franchise guy.

I remember back in the Chad Pennington era when Green Jets and Ham went on a tirade about Kellen Clemens showing that he was going to be a franchise quarterback .... good times ..... 

GJ&H went on many tirades.

I liked the Hammer, he brought a lot of color to the board.

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It's always divided, I have been following this team since the early 80s and it's the same cycle with our QBs.  we get a good year here and there but we can never get consistent high level QB play which is why we are never a consistent playoff team.  I suspect the fanbase will be divided until we get an elite level QB.  Hopefully that happens some day, we are due for one.  The one guys that closely fit that description was Namath but he was damaged goods so we deserve a long term healthy franchise guy.

I've been following the team since the mid 80s. Since that time, every team in our division (Bills/Jim Kelly) (Dolphins/Marino) (Pats/Brady) (Colts/Manning) has developed a hall of fame quarterback except the Jets. Statistically speaking, aren't we due at this point?

Never forget, at Shea, giant banner hung out of the left field corner....."Break Todd's legs"

This is nothing compared to those days. Re-Todd vs. Matt Robinson was much more divisive on every level. 

Clemens v Ratliff! 

Ah good times..

A couple of quarterbacks from the same town - Chico, Calif., - are living in Brett Favre's shadow. There's no doubt which one has it tougher.

For Aaron Rodgers, Favre's successor in Green Bay, it's a 24/7 competition against a ghost. For the Jets' Brett Ratliff, it's a stress-free, nothing-to-lose, everything-to-gain situation.

And he's gaining - on Kellen Clemens.

As the Jets head into the final week of training camp, the unlikeliest of positional battles has developed: Ratliff is pushing Clemens for No. 2. It won't be easy to unseat Clemens, who was competing for the starting job until the Favre trade, but Ratliff is giving the coaching staff reason to pause.

Ratliff threw 70- and 71-yard touchdowns in the preseason opener, and he followed up with an almost come-from-behind victory Saturday night over the Redskins. With the Jets down by three with 1:02 remaining, he marched the team 71 yards before being sabotaged by a dropped pass in the end zone (rookie Paul Raymond) and a missed field goal from 23 yards (Mike Nugent).

Favre might lead the NFL in preseason hype, but Ratliff tops the league with a 119.6 passer rating.

Who is Brett Ratliff? He was undrafted last year, signed with the Jets as a free agent and spent the season on the practice squad, where he worked as a scout-team wide receiver. He struggled so much at quarterback that it took an "act of Congress" for him to make the right play call in the huddle, Mangini joked.

Coming into this season, Ratliff was an afterthought, a happy-to-be-here player who was going to have a front-row view of the Clemens-Chad Pennington battle.

"The story of his life," Jeff Jordan said Monday in a phone interview. "He always seems to be coming out of nowhere."

Jordan coached Ratliff at Butte College, a two-year school in Oroville, Calif. Ratliff landed there because he didn't receive any Division I offers out of high school. Weird twist: His predecessor at Butte was Rodgers, an old high-school rival.

After two productive seasons at Butte, Ratliff signed with the only I-A school that showed interest - Utah, which was scrambling to replace Alex Smith. Smith left after his junior year and became the No. 1 overall pick by the 49ers. It made for a wild game of musical quarterbacks:

Ratliff succeeded Rodgers at Butte. The 49ers famously passed on Rodgers to select Smith, whom Ratliff eventually replaced at Utah. Now Ratliff and Rodgers are in the middle of Favre World.

"I'm trying to learn as much as I can from Brett," said Ratliff, whose 2008 salary ($295,000) is less than Favre's weekly paycheck ($706,000). "He has a lot of wisdom I can learn from."

Ratliff (6-4, 235) has led the offense to 20 points in 11 possessions, albeit against backups. For Clemens, uneven since the start of camp, it's zero points in six possessions. Ratliff has completed 69% of his passes (27-for-39) for 400 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. Each week, he receives more reps in practice.

"I like his progress," Mangini said.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/brett-ratliff-gaining-ground-battle-brett-favre-no-2-article-1.314523

16 hours ago, slats said:

Lol. I so do not care about Fitz's feelings. Not one single GM is willing to give him what he wants. Not a single one has offered more than the Jets have. He needs to put his feelings aside and recognize reality; this is a business, and this is his worth to that business. His hard negotiating stance is leading the Jets to look in other directions. He could easily find himself making less than the reported $7/8M, or out of work altogether if his ego won't accept that. He and his agent have overvalued their position, and misplayed their hand. 

If Denver ends up making that trade for Kaepernick, and the Jets find a way to trade up for a start-now rookie QB, where does that leave Fitzpatrick? I'll tell you where it doesn't leave him: on an NFL roster with the $9M/year deal the Jets already have hinted is on the table (let alone the extra $500K-1m extra he might be able to squeeze out of them, or the incentives he might get in there as well, just for the team to be done with this).

Nobody is offering him what he's looking for. The Jets are the only team to offer him nearly half what he's looking for, and frankly are the only team that's made him any offer at all.

Teams pay the big money for known top QBs, or for what they perceive to be big upside due to youth, physical ability, or hoping for untapped potential that made them great prospects not so long ago. Fitzpatrick offers an NFL team none of this, because nobody sees him this way, and for good reason. He lucked into an impossibly perfect situation, then that further lucked into the most improbable circumstances; every team knows it, and yet he still wants/expects to get paid like things are and were otherwise.

On 1.4.2016 at 6:41 PM, RoadFan said:

Richard "toad" Todd vs. Matt Robinson was pretty divisive according to my father, who was adamant it should have been Robinson for the record...

Idzik's father preferred "Toad."   Shocker...

It was a huge controversy, because Todd really did SUCK, a bad Namth tout, a wishbone qb in college who couldn't run, he benefited from great receivers (ala Wesley Walker and co.), and the Jets in general had a great team on Defense and Offense. Robinson wasn't great, but he was more mobile and untested and we wanted to give him a chance cause we already knew that Todd sucked, and many (including myself at the time) were dying to try somebody else.

Chad/Testaverde was way more divisive. Edwards and Hackett like the complete  morons they are  tried to shoehorn a big arm/not very accurate QB  in Vinny into the WCO and refused to play Pennington, who was before the shoulder injuries very suited to it.

Expect Fitz is gonna be back once they clear some cap space. And if not. Petty plus a high draft pick will fight it out. Between the GM and the HC we at least have adults in charge right now. That doesn't guarantee anything, but I trust these guys know what they're doing most of the time.  

Come to think of it, for me it was Tebow.  May not have been the biggest argument between fans (even though there were many arguments), but the decision to even put Tebow on the team was the only time I questioned being a Jet fan.  So I think that qualifies as being divisive.

Decades of losing, insane ticket/psl prices, Idzik, passing on Marino, butt fumble (the list can go on for quite a while)... all fine.

Tebow?  Really almost considered watching a Giant game as a fan.

On 4/1/2016 at 1:27 PM, Maxman said:

I agree with this, I think it was Chad. We had people arguing that he was better than Brady and people who wanted him benched at the same time lol.

Yep. Never seen a more divisive player

Archived