Hackington

Maxman

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I don't think so.  Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong here, actually, and I have no problem with it at all.  For now, I can't get particularly excited about a draft pick who based on all available data, looks like a reach and another in a long line of Jets QBs who can't get it done.  This isn't a "doom and gloom" prediction, as it's been called here.  It's simply an honest and unbiased evaluation based on the facts we presently have.  Unfortunately, switching coaches (after a season that wasn't as good as it's been described), having a bad offensive line, and tapping your helmet like Tom Brady, isn't enough to make me ignore the tape/history/stats on the player.  In the end, I'll happily wear his jersey (I don't actually wear jerseys, but you get the idea) and be wrong that I thought a guy with a poor college career, including poor accuracy, and a poor combine that we took in the second round, turns out to be a valuable player.  In the end, I think you'll find most of the 'data' guys will do the same, they just don't delude themselves until they see it.

And just like that, you know what all of us do-Not much and without credentials to substantiate. Gotta sit and wait

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Scott Dierking said:

I stand confirmed

No, you just wrote something that was barely English, and then pat yourself on the back for it.  If you don't want to discuss, then enjoy your self-anointed victory lap.

38 minutes ago, gEYno said:

ninja'd... Oh, the humanity.

Ouch, sorry.  I'm in Kong Kong, some sketchy connectivity over here.  Oh, the jetlagity.

That said, mine is subtly different-  "Hindenburg" is the proper spelling, Hackenberg has the "e", so thusly "Hindenberg" is a unique creation. 

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In simpler terms for you- No one knows

Ah.  Thank you.  That is simply brilliant and I have much to learn.  Until you mentioned it, I thought that some people here knew for sure how he would turn out.  Not that we were making predictions, or probably more accurately, responding to a draft pick, based on either hope or what data we have available, or some interaction of the two.  I appreciate that insight that "we don't know" and will hold it with me going forward.

Acceptable derogatory Hackenberg Nicknames to-date:

Sackenberg

Hackensack

Hackenturd

There really hasn't been a good "Hack is Penny" nickname as yet.

Honestly, the two players seem to have very little in common.  If anything, I'd compare Hackenberg to Ken O'Brien, as both had big strong arms, were prototypical in size, considered smart, but were sack machines, neither played with good O-lines, neither had a good feel for pressure, and neither knew when to throw the ball away.

Kenny O'Hackensack 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sackenberg

Hackensack

Hackenturd

Honestly, the two players seem to have very little in common.  If anything, I'd compare Hackenberg to Ken O'Brian, as both had big strong arms, were prototypical in size, considered smart, but were sack machines, neither played with good O-lines, neither had a good feel for pressure, and neither knew when to throw the ball away.

Kenny O'Hackensack 

I like this one

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sackenberg

Hackensack

Hackenturd

Honestly, the two players seem to have very little in common.  If anything, I'd compare Hackenberg to Ken O'Brian, as both had big strong arms, were prototypical in size, considered smart, but were sack machines, neither played with good O-lines, neither had a good feel for pressure, and neither knew when to throw the ball away.

Kenny O'Hackensack 

Or, just maybe, "starting QB for the NY jets". Let's hope that is the case.

Just curious, anyone know the last QB that had a sub 57 completion % that had success in the pros? Do they exist?

Compared to Cook, Hackenberg played against a slightly harder college schedule and had less support in NFL­caliber offensive teammates. But Hackenberg projects further below replacement level because his expected draft position is lower and his 2015 stats (53.5 percent completion rate, 7.0 YPA, 16 TD, 6 INT) are even worse. No quarterback in QBASE's database (top­100 picks since 1996) has succeeded with remotely similar stats. The list of previous top­100 picks with completion rates under 55 percent in their last college seasons ­­ Brock Huard, Dave Ragone, Kyle Boller, Marques Tuiasosopo, and Quincy Carter ­­ augurs poorly for Hackenberg's NFL prospects. (Ed. Note: In the original article on ESPN, we listed Josh McCown as a quarterback with a completion rate under 55 percent in his last season. McCown had a completion rate of just 51 percent in his final year on the FBS level, but a completion rate of 60 percent as a senior transfer at FCS Sam Houston State.)

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It will be fun watching the SOJ fans eat crow when Hackenberg plays well in two years.

Just as all the crow we ate after Clemens, Bollinger, McElroy, Simms, Geno, Todd, Ryan, Nagle, and Foley had stellar years/careers.

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

The kid knows how to run a pro style offense, in fact Tom Brady's and the Patriots' offense. If we go into Training Camp with Fitzpatrick still unsigned I would like to see Hackenberg be given every opportunity to win the starting job. If Fitz DOES sign, then I really like Petty and Hack having such a smart mentor to learn from. I think we now finally have our franchise QB of the future and if pushed into duty a player who could be the Jets starting QB for the next decade.

I agree that if Fitzpatrick doesn't re-sign, I think the Jets will give Hackenberg every opportunity to be the game 1 starter.  No matter what Bowles has said, I cannot believe that the Jets will go with Geno Smith as the starter.

55 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just as all the crow we ate after Clemens, Bollinger, McElroy, Simms, Geno, Todd, Ryan, Nagle, and Foley had stellar years/careers.

Kid hasn't actually, you know, thrown one snap yet in a practice....Maybe we could add him to this bunch AFTER he actually, you know, plays a few games and THEN doesn't work out.

Anyone saying that Hackenberg's football IQ is lacking or ge doesn't have the mental makeup is just plain wrong. He ran the Pats offense as an 18 year old.

Arm strength and overall talent is world's above Chad too. Now if you want to critique Hackenberg's footwork, mechanica, internal clock, ability to avoid the rush, then by all means....

27 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Kid hasn't actually, you know, thrown one snap yet in a practice....Maybe we could add him to this bunch AFTER he actually, you know, plays a few games and THEN doesn't work out.

Right.  Which is exactly why you should not be calling anyone out for questioning the kid's ability and potential to be our starter.  

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

I feel like the debate over Hackington is going to be intense. Much like the debate over Chad Pennington was.

So I would like to be the first person to use the term: Hackington.

Remember we are all Jets fans and most likely we will be debating this for years. So pace yourself, this is a marathon not a sprint.

Let the games begin.

I once got banned from JI for calling Sanchez "Mexington"....

Tread lightly

4 hours ago, jetrider said:

"Tom Brady/Patriots offense" lol.

Kid got the pre-snap Brady impersonation down pretty well.

After snap ... not so much. 

For that, he needs 5 OL who can get away with holding all day and WRs that are allowed to run pick plays...

7 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

^

Part of Hackenberg's completion percentage "issue" probably has to do with his throwing the ball downfield more, but it is an  issue going forward.

A lot of it had to do with throwing as he was getting crushed every other play. 

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

I feel like the debate over Hackington is going to be intense. Much like the debate over Chad Pennington was.

So I would like to be the first person to use the term: Hackington.

Remember we are all Jets fans and most likely we will be debating this for years. So pace yourself, this is a marathon not a sprint.

Let the games begin.

This is a big letdown after your last attempt. i gave your trolling an A for the start Hackington thread

7 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

^

Part of Hackenberg's completion percentage "issue" probably has to do with his throwing the ball downfield more, but it is an  issue going forward.

Agreed, a lot of completion % especially in college are inflate due to dumping off to rb's and quick wr screens. 

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ouch, sorry.  I'm in Kong Kong, some sketchy connectivity over here.  Oh, the jetlagity.

That said, mine is subtly different-  "Hindenburg" is the proper spelling, Hackenberg has the "e", so thusly "Hindenberg" is a unique creation. 

SAR I

Doesn't matter. Can't use it anyway. Kid couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of the sky.

Archived