Jets \ Jaguars: The Official Game Thread

Maxman

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see 17 points on the board which I know doesn't mean anything but I still think we're a moderately scoring team with a good defense. And a Qb who doesn't make too many mistakes. And can keep drives going and can eat clock. It's a big deal because keeping the D off the field allows them to make plays. That pick at the end of the game ok just an exhibition game. But I think think this is the kind of game we're going to win this year. So to me the pick was symbolic of a good play that can win a close game. Just glad that we didn't blow it at the end. 

5 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Yes to

Peak and the other Marshall

No to

Geno, Milliner and every RB except Powell tonight

Well here's a name I haven't seen in a hot minute lol.

Agree for the most part.  Would put Morris on the PS.

Based on what I saw tonight Geno is the sure no. 2 on the Jets this season. Of course we haven't seen Hack play yet. And I think Gailey should be giving Hack a fair amount of reps. My problem with Geno is can he play a complete game. Consistently. I'm a strong believer in not giving inexperienced or unsuccessful Qbs a complete playbook. Give them an easier one they can handle. This esp includes Geno. Gailey always says he adapts the play calling and the scheme to players ability and talent level. I kind of doubt that but I hope it's true in case he gets to play this season. And the way Fitz plays there's a good chance of that happening. The idea with Geno is to give him an offense he can run successfully. Hopefully there is an offense like that.

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Based on what I saw tonight Geno is the sure no. 2 on the Jets this season. Of course we haven't seen Hack play yet. And I think Gailey should be giving Hack a fair amount of reps. My problem with Geno is can he play a complete game. Consistently. I'm a strong believer in not giving inexperienced or unsuccessful Qbs a complete playbook. Give them an easier one they can handle. This esp includes Geno. Gailey always says he adapts the play calling and the scheme to players ability and talent level. I kind of doubt that but I hope it's true in case he gets to play this season. And the way Fitz plays there's a good chance of that happening. The idea with Geno is to give him an offense he can run successfully. Hopefully there is an offense like that.

Not sure what you saw, but I saw the good and bad with Geno.  Made some very nice passes and a few good decisions to avoid dumb turnovers.  Also saw some bad throws.  What I saw from Petty was very similar.  Some really good throws and some not so good ones.  Where I can't agree with you is that I did not see Geno do anything to make him a lock for the #2 slot.  He did enough to keep it for now, but I could see as many scenarios where Petty pushes him as where Geno runs away with it.  We'll know more each week.

Although I can't watch the game hearing that Petty looked good is great news. I always liked him in college and think he could be the Jets QB after Fitz. He's a big strong kid and just needs to get a pro game mentality. On to the next game and see even more growth. The fourth preseason game should be Petty for at least 3 quarters.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Peake could make this team. If they try to PS him some team will pick him up. It might be between him and Jalin Marshall. 

Why can't they keep both. Marshall has a additional role as punt and kickoff returns. No way Peake will get through waivers.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not sure what you saw, but I saw the good and bad with Geno.  Made some very nice passes and a few good decisions to avoid dumb turnovers.  Also saw some bad throws.  What I saw from Petty was very similar.  Some really good throws and some not so good ones.  Where I can't agree with you is that I did not see Geno do anything to make him a lock for the #2 slot.  He did enough to keep it for now, but I could see as many scenarios where Petty pushes him as where Geno runs away with it.  We'll know more each week.

I thought overall Petty was ineffective and Geno was ok and the more NFL of the two and by a considerable amount. Say if Hack plays and does well I could see a Qb competition between those 2 but not with Petty so far. I think the Jets will take a chance and cut him. And PS him unless they can get someone else they like better. After Fitz who looked good Geno at Qb gives us our best chance to win unless Hack is ready to step up. 

Petty had his moments but just doesn't look NFL ready to me. I know there is a lot of Geno hate out there and fans are looking for someone to pass him for the number 2 spot but I just don't see it. Wasn't EXCITED about Fitz coming back but it's clear to me he is our only hope to winning games this season. QBs are hard to come by in this league. And if Fitz goes down Petty won't get it done. Sorry!

24 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Although I can't watch the game hearing that Petty looked good is great news. I always liked him in college and think he could be the Jets QB after Fitz. He's a big strong kid and just needs to get a pro game mentality. On to the next game and see even more growth. The fourth preseason game should be Petty for at least 3 quarters.

I really think to get a good assessment on Petty, Bowles is going to have to give him a series or two with a better OL.  Much of his time out there was spent behind camp bodies that could not establish a pocket for him...

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Lee flies to the ball. All over on this drive.... when he gains more experiences and has even faster recognition... holy sh*t.

Remember that time @JiF was complaining about Lee being behind Henderson on the depth chart, in early August of his rookie year?

Good times.

4 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I think we're overreacting on milliner. He had decent coverage and good position. He's just matched up against a monster right now. 

Yea really give the guy a break. Milliner hasn't played a football game in 3 years. Give em time. 

3 hours ago, Pac said:

They have to root for anything they consider a mistake to justify their nonsensical opinion that he's the worst QB ever.   It's really bizarre and kind of sad.  I mean look at them clinging to this silly belief that Geno is getting cut.  It's cringe worthy.

A year ago you questioned why anyone would think Fitz would start over Geno.

Months ago you questioned why anyone would think the Jets would rush Fitz back on the field after his thumb injury.

A month ago you questioned why anyone would think the Jets would bring back Fitz for starter money.

Not saying Geno will be cut, nor do I want him to be at this point. But are you sure you want to continue to stroll down this impressive path of wrongness youve been on?

I'm also willing to give the secondary a pass without Revis, but pretty much everyone of the starters looked flat.  Dee Milliner was bad.  Pryor should have given up an easy TD if the guy didn't drop it.

I'm also concerned about Mauldin's ability to defend the run.  He tends to get manhandled by linemen.

On the plus side, Leonard Williams looked pretty good.

4 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Tonight I saw the same flawed Geno I've seen for the past 3 years.  The pocket awareness hasn't really improved much.  Fitz is much better at buying time and finding a safety valve, which is a big part of manufacturing scoring drives.

And he'll have a heckuva safety valve in Matt Forte, who has caught 40+ passes every year he's been in the league, including a 102-catch season in 2014.

5 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Yep, Geno looks great in garbage time vs. rookies and 3rd teamers.  

and then he throws the concussion ball....

So Fitzpatrick who throws slow ducks on a regular basis doesn't throw the "concussion ball " genius ? It was a dumb rook safety who hasn't adjusted to the rules... 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So Fitzpatrick who throws slow ducks on a regular basis doesn't throw the "concussion ball " genius ? It was a dumb rook safety who hasn't adjusted to the rules... 

If only we could have a QB capable of throwing 30+ TD's in a season.  Oh wait....

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If only we could have a QB capable of throwing 30+ TD's in a season.  Oh wait....

Lol.. Well it's nice to have a OC who knows how to hide his weak arm.. Plus two outstanding WRs sure doesn't hurt ?? but if we want to have a shot at making the playoffs, Fitz is going to have to improve on that aweful 59 completion %

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. Well it's nice to have a OC who knows how to hide his weak arm.. Plus two outstanding WRs sure doesn't hurt ?? but if we want to have a shot at making the playoffs, Fitz is going to have to improve on that aweful 59 completion %

Covered the completion % critique in another thread.  Part of the reason his completion % was lower than it had been the previous 4 seasons of his career (when he was in the 60-63 % range every season) was because he tended to force a lot of throws Marshall's way.  Marshall is the type of WR who requires a lot of volume to put up big numbers, because he drops a lot of easy ones while also making spectacular catches.  He's been like that pretty much his whole career.  The strategy did produce a lot of flags on the defense, but that neither helped nor hurt Fitz's comp %.

With Forte added into the fold as a very, very capable "safety net", and perhaps the emergence of guys like Amaro and Enunwa, expect to see Fitz's comp % to return to his usual 60-63 % range this year, maybe even as high as 64.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Covered the completion % critique in another thread.  Part of the reason his completion % was lower than it had been the previous 4 seasons of his career (when he was in the 60-63 % range every season) was because he tended to force a lot of throws Marshall's way.  Marshall is the type of WR who requires a lot of volume to put up big numbers, because he drops a lot of easy ones while also making spectacular catches.  He's been like that pretty much his whole career.  The strategy did produce a lot of flags on the defense, but that neither helped nor hurt Fitz's comp %.

With Forte added into the fold as a very, very capable "safety net", and perhaps the emergence of guys like Amaro and Enunwa, expect to see Fitz's comp % to return to his usual 60-63 % range this year, maybe even as high as 64.

64.2 dare to dream :P

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Tonight I saw the same flawed Geno I've seen for the past 3 years.  The pocket awareness hasn't really improved much.  Fitz is much better at buying time and finding a safety valve, which is a big part of manufacturing scoring drives.

Geno looked like Geno...Petty looked better while running for his life. If you think Petty can be a competent backup, show Geno the door. I just dont want to see him plan here anymore...there is 0 upside.

We all know this is Geno last shot with us whether he is on the roster this year or they decide to cut ties with him -risky though to go with no experienced backup- unless we would try to bring in a another veteran

Archived