Why aren't they using Bilal Powel?

Jetsbb

Forte had 30 runs for 3.3 yds per while Powel had 1 run. Its one thing if Forte was playing amazing so now even when he is struggling they wont be using Powell? This doesn't make any sense they have a more than capable back that has all the receiving skills that Forte has. You would think a rotation with a fresh back would be ideal. No?

IMO it's because we lost last week and with the threat of being 0-2 it's balls to the wall. So you keep the experience out there. I thought Forte was outstanding, just his consistency to make ground and no mistakes. 

As the season goes on Powell will get more snaps in relief, he has a role to play.

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Forte had 30 runs for 3.3 yds per while Powel had 1 run. Its one thing if Forte was playing amazing so now even when he is struggling they wont be using Powell? This doesn't make any sense they have a more than capable back that has all the receiving skills that Forte has. You would think a rotation with a fresh back would be ideal. No?

they better. love Forte.  A very classy runner with great intelligence.  But 30 a game?  yeeesh.

Because we needed that win badly & he'll now get 10 days rest to heal up.  Forte doesn't need a lot of practice the guys a pros pro. Smart smooth as silk, a combination of Curtis Martin & Marcus Allen. Damn, he makes this offense f*cking awesome! Bring safeties up we'll throw, move them back we'll run, blitz we'll get it to Forte in the flat.

I think ultimately the plan is to use Powell as "fresh legs" in the fourth quarter of games. Much like Rex did with Shonn Greene early in his career.

Last night it wasn't necessary, as Forte was running well late in the game.

I think Powell's touches will increase as the season progresses.

15 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

They are trying to kill forte.

he'll be done at mid season at this rate

He's not going to run 30 times a game.

The announcers said something last night which really stuck with me. From his days in Tulane, Forte said that the most important thing he was taught was to avoid the big hit. He plays like that, almost always behind his blockers, waiting for things to develop, not putting himself in position to get blown up.

1 minute ago, bergenjets said:

He's not going to run 30 times a game.

The announcers said something last night which really stuck with me. From his days in Tulane, Forte said that the most important thing he was taught was to avoid the big hit. He plays like that, almost always behind his blockers, waiting for things to develop, not putting himself in position to get blown up.

Slides through the cracks and never takes the big hit.  Very similar to Curtis in that respect.

Powell = State Farm

INSURANCE...

And he has a 3rd down role.

but they should sprinkle in a series here and there, Forte has an injury history of wearing down,

he does look awesome in this Offense tho, can't plame the coaches for keeping him out there all the time... right now at least..

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

The politically correct answer would be it's a long season and Matt Forte is a 30+ year old RB who's hot and exactly the same player as Powell . Wear out 1 guy early and the other guy late .  

5 hours ago, The Walrus said:

IMO it's because we lost last week and with the threat of being 0-2 it's balls to the wall. So you keep the experience out there. I thought Forte was outstanding, just his consistency to make ground and no mistakes. 

As the season goes on Powell will get more snaps in relief, he has a role to play.

Didn't Powell drop a shovel pass on in the reds zone.  This was a must win game.  Case closed. 

It's a long season and they didn't use Bilal as much until the second half of the season last year and he came on big time. Although Forte only averaged 3.3 yards per carry he was consistent and very effective last night and had a good game. I thought he was underused as a receiver. Forte has shown me he's a good runner and has replaced Ivory in that job. I see Bilal having a bigger role as the season progresses. 

I agree with much of what was said here, but the other thing to remember is that Forte's YPC was heavily influenced by the OL getting their asses kicked at the beginning of the game, and there just being nowhere to go.  There wasn't really anything Powell could have done with those carries either.  By later in the game when Powell would normally be considered for subbing in, Forte was really hitting his stride and having his best runs, so there was little motivation to pull him out other than if he needed a breather.

18 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I agree with much of what was said here, but the other thing to remember is that Forte's YPC was heavily influenced by the OL getting their asses kicked at the beginning of the game, and there just being nowhere to go.  There wasn't really anything Powell could have done with those carries either.  By later in the game when Powell would normally be considered for subbing in, Forte was really hitting his stride and having his best runs, so there was little motivation to pull him out other than if he needed a breather.

it's not about powell being better.  it's keeping forte fresh.  too imbalanced right now.  

Archived