NFL says salary cap set to increase by over $10 million in '17

AFJF

Couldn't find the first tweet I saw about it from Rapoport but he pointed out that the cap has gone up MORE than the projected number each of the past few years.  Here's a tweet for anyone looking for a source.  Courtesy of the Saints.

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this growth isn't sustainable but in the near term there's no such thing as Salary cap hell, for any team. 

The ratings decline and soon to be cancellation of Thursday night football will have an impact eventually.

36 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets are gonna have a ton of money to spend after a few cuts. We're gonna be a dramatically improved football team.

They'll have a lot of space (or they could if they really cut ties with all dead weight), but they'll then need to re-sign or replace about half a team's worth of starters, including the 4 hardest and most expensive veteran positions: QB, LT, CB1, Outside pass rusher. Then to that, add CB2 (or NB), RT, RG, ILB, FS, and TE. Oh, and everyone wants a RB upgrade as well. Again, that's about half a starting football team.

If you think all that's adequately getting filled by one top 10 pick and some $40-50M, with the proportional rise in FA salaries that comes with these cap increases, you're in for a disappointment. 

Where are getting 40-50 million? 

Revis-Mangold-Gilchrist-Harris-Breno-not resigning Fitz & Clady is closer to 65 million based the 2017 savings.

You already have Burris & Roberts, Skrine will be a 4th CB. Jets will have plenty of money & 2018 will clear any dead money from Revis, Fitz, Gilchrist (13 million). This isn't a 2 year rebuild. Hopefully either Martin or Middleton can replace Gilchrist, they get a 3 game audition. 

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Where are getting 40-50 million? 

Revis-Mangold-Gilchrist-Harris-Breno-not resigning Fitz & Clady is closer to 65 million based the 2017 savings.

You already have Burris & Roberts, Skrine will be a 4th CB. Jets will have plenty of money & 2018 will clear any dead money from Revis, Fitz, Gilchrist (13 million). This isn't a 2 year rebuild. Hopefully either Martin or Middleton can replace Gilchrist, they get a 3 game audition. 

Because $40-50 is the correct #?  the better question is where are you getting 65M?

With the DL and, possibly, WR being the only areas without glaring needs, whatever cap room the Jets have will be gone quicker than poop through a goose.  Not many guys standing in the wings waiting to step up and replace both aging and incapable starters.  More $$ will also pump up any bidding going on for FA's.  A little more cap really does nothing to help this team dig their way out of the cesspool. 

8 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Yay. Free agency. That always works.

Just because the Jets swung & missed doesn't mean they can't have success in free agency. You guys don't give young players a chance if they don't hit the field as all pros. Burris played very well last week. We have no idea what we have at safety with Martin & Middleton. We don't know if Khiry Robinson can come back, he's still young with very little mileage on him. 

Im positive Sheldon Richardson will be moved for draft picks (maybe a combo of 2017 & 2018). 

We aren't getting our return on what we are paying Revis, Gilchrist & Skrine in the secondary so they are easily replaceable with younger better players. They might target Gilmore? They may target Collins? Both of those guys are proven young players. 

Maybe they swing a trade with Dallas for Ron Leary that includes Sheldon? The Jets have got to start getting younger and I love Maccs scouts so far. Finding players like Anderson, Peake and J.Marshall (Marshall has talent, he's still learning & is very young). 

Maybe Shell can play? Who knows, he could end up your RT. The Jets have to stop signing free agents on their last legs! Forte @ 5 million in 2017 is a bit much, but 10 million for 2 backs won't kill us, or keep Macc from drafting another young back. The difference between winning & losing in this league is so minute (getting off the field on 4th & 4), just a couple of good moves & a weaker schedule can change your whole season. 

The biggest thing going forward for the Jets is do we have a QB in Petty or Hack?

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They'll have a lot of space (or they could if they really cut ties with all dead weight), but they'll then need to re-sign or replace about half a team's worth of starters, including the 4 hardest and most expensive veteran positions: QB, LT, CB1, Outside pass rusher. Then to that, add CB2 (or NB), RT, RG, ILB, FS, and TE. Oh, and everyone wants a RB upgrade as well. Again, that's about half a starting football team.

If you think all that's adequately getting filled by one top 10 pick and some $40-50M, with the proportional rise in FA salaries that comes with these cap increases, you're in for a disappointment. 

i'll look at the glass half full. imo yours is a worst case scenario and if you think all of those holes will be filled through free agency, you're dreaming.  the jets should be able to fill at least two holes, maybe 3 through the draft because they will be picking in the top 10 of each round.  assume that petty and/or hack can play qb and their problems aren't half bad.  and even today's team isn't bad talent wise.  what they haven't been able to do is execute their plays consistently.  i hope the jets will objectively evaluate the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Just because the Jets swung & missed doesn't mean they can't have success in free agency. You guys don't give young players a chance if they don't hit the field as all pros. Burris played very well last week. We have no idea what we have at safety with Martin & Middleton. We don't know if Khiry Robinson can come back, he's still young with very little mileage on him. 

Im positive Sheldon Richardson will be moved for draft picks (maybe a combo of 2017 & 2018). 

We aren't getting our return on what we are paying Revis, Gilchrist & Skrine in the secondary so they are easily replaceable with younger better players. They might target Gilmore? They may target Collins? Both of those guys are proven young players. 

Maybe they swing a trade with Dallas for Ron Leary that includes Sheldon? The Jets have got to start getting younger and I love Maccs scouts so far. Finding players like Anderson, Peake and J.Marshall (Marshall has talent, he's still learning & is very young). 

Maybe Shell can play? Who knows, he could end up your RT. The Jets have to stop signing free agents on their last legs! Forte @ 5 million in 2017 is a bit much, but 10 million for 2 backs won't kill us, or keep Macc from drafting another young back. The difference between winning & losing in this league is so minute (getting off the field on 4th & 4), just a couple of good moves & a weaker schedule can change your whole season. 

The biggest thing going forward for the Jets is do we have a QB in Petty or Hack?

It's not as simple as that. Adding players via free agency and trades has more implications than just roster spots. There are cap implications to both. Generally, players you really want on your roster that have been drafted by other teams are never going to be made available. It's easy to be fooled that you can pay big money and get some star, but there is always a reason why he didn't stay "home". You draft and develop players well, or you become a perennial loser, like the Jets, Browns, etc. You draft well, you become the Cheaters, Seahawks, Broncos and Steelers.

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'll look at the glass half full. imo yours is a worst case scenario and if you think all of those holes will be filled through free agency, you're dreaming.  the jets should be able to fill at least two holes, maybe 3 through the draft because they will be picking in the top 10 of each round.  assume that petty and/or hack can play qb and their problems aren't half bad.  and even today's team isn't bad talent wise.  what they haven't been able to do is execute their plays consistently.  i hope the jets will objectively evaluate the coaching staff.

It is neither optimistic nor pessimistic; it's the reality of the situation. When was the last time the Jets filled 3 immediate starter holes through the draft? Last year we filled 1 (Lee) and he wasn't even a full time starter this year himself. Year before that it was only the can't-miss Williams who somehow fell to us at #6. Now from out of nowhere Maccagnan's suddenly going to find at least 2 maybe 3 instant starters? Please. There is no rational basis for this prediction.

I do not "assume" Petty or Hackenberg can play QB until either one shows he can actually do it. I like/liked Petty fine, and was all for getting him onto the field all year long, but so far I've seen a lot of off-target throws, a lot of bad pocket presence, one deep out pass right on the money against SF, and a few bigger plays that were generally due to WR acrobatics on misfires or jump balls. Petty could get better, and I sure hope he does because it would erase a lot of the Jets' problems in 1 shot, but he's given no real reason for spectators to believe he actually will. What he still is right now is a QB who couldn't beat out Geno Smith, who himself couldn't hold off Ryan Fitzpatrick, who himself is horrible. 

There will be roughly the same number of starter holes for 2017 as the day Maccagnan got here, and the same number of them are the most important, hardest-to-fill positions.

I mean, look at the dog**** season we're mopping up, and all the starters he still has to find (or bad incumbents he has to replace). This is the result of 2 years of his idiotic acquisitions, poor drafting, and mass spending. It's not optimistic or pessimistic. It's what the situation actually is.

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

this growth isn't sustainable but in the near term there's no such thing as Salary cap hell, for any team. 

Interesting to see how this works out. I'm not ready to put the nail in the NFL coffin. An increase of 10mill seems kinda low IMO.

There will be lots of opportunities to rid the team of money, but in saying this, positions then need to be filled:

Eric Decker              $5.7 million

Brandon Marshall    $7.5 million

Buster Skrine           $3.5 million

Darrelle Revis            $7 million

Sheldon Richardson $8 million

Nick Mangold         $9.00 million

Ryan Clady             $10 million

Breno Giacomini     $4.5 million

Nick Folk                 $3.00 million

Erin Henderson      $2.75 million

David Harris          $6.5 million

That's close to $70 million dollars.  Now, we would have no starting QB, lose our 1-2 receivers, 3/5 of the starting Offensive line, lose our #1 (ha!) CB and our slot CB, and our kicker.  The only position where we have depth is Richardson (IF he is tradeable), and ILB (I believe the Jets draft a true OLB, leaving Jenkins and Lee to start).

There is also HUGE dead money cuts there.  Revis and Skrine alone would be $13 million, so I do not see that happening.  MAYBE they renegotiate with Revis, get that number down, and move him to safety (NOT a fan of that idea).  Skrine is going to cost us $8.5 for a BIG decline in play.  Maybe a true #1 helps make him better on the team?

Lots of questions, lots of holes.  But again, I don't think they need to fill them all this year.  Forte is on this team for one more year, so the thought of drafting a RB high is gone.  I believe its time to focus on the OL, CB, and OLB positions. 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

There will be lots of opportunities to rid the team of money, but in saying this, positions then need to be filled:

That's close to $70 million dollars.  Now, we would have no starting QB, lose our 1-2 receivers, 3/5 of the starting Offensive line, lose our #1 (ha!) CB and our slot CB, and our kicker.  The only position where we have depth is Richardson (IF he is tradeable), and ILB (I believe the Jets draft a true OLB, leaving Jenkins and Lee to start).

There is also HUGE dead money cuts there.  Revis and Skrine alone would be $13 million, so I do not see that happening.  MAYBE they renegotiate with Revis, get that number down, and move him to safety (NOT a fan of that idea).  Skrine is going to cost us $8.5 for a BIG decline in play.  Maybe a true #1 helps make him better on the team?

Lots of questions, lots of holes.  But again, I don't think they need to fill them all this year.  Forte is on this team for one more year, so the thought of drafting a RB high is gone.  I believe its time to focus on the OL, CB, and OLB positions. 

here's the thing though.  everyone wants to cut the dead wood and replace them with draft picks or other free agents.  that's perfectly okay.  each year the team has to churn through 10 or so players just because of normal attrition.  but when looking at drafted players, especially vets, their contracts have to be compared to the players that will replace them.  top flight first round picks may not demand the 20m/season of times past but the rookie salaries are high enough to put them in the range of some vets. take a guy like skrine.  he's probably costing around 3.5 M per season.  A top 15 draft pick corner will demand way more without even playing a single down.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

here's the thing though.  everyone wants to cut the dead wood and replace them with draft picks or other free agents.  that's perfectly okay.  each year the team has to churn through 10 or so players just because of normal attrition.  but when looking at drafted players, especially vets, their contracts have to be compared to the players that will replace them.  top flight first round picks may not demand the 20m/season of times past but the rookie salaries are high enough to put them in the range of some vets. take a guy like skrine.  he's probably costing around 3.5 M per season.  A top 15 draft pick corner will demand way more without even playing a single down.

Skrine costs $6.25M a year. Thats basically the equivalent of the 5th or 6th draft pick.  Top draft picks are cheap now, its the veterans that are expensive. Skrine wsa always overpriced and they could replace him with a better value veteran or a much cheper draft selection. 

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'd keep Marshall.   Maybe keep Folk as well.  He's the first decent kicker we've had in forever, and how much are you going to save by cutting him and signing a replacement, 1 million?  Not worth it. 

The rest, go.  The team really is in full rebuild mode, a LOT of dead cap space next year, Mike Mac did not do a good job, the team is no better off now then they were 2 years ago.

Archived