If Petty Proves to be the Real Deal... Then what?

JetBlue

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Your point makes sense, except for the fact that I don't think Glennon is going to be cheap.  Or a one year deal.  If they pay Glennon semi-big money he be the starter the second he walks in the door

Plus the Futz $5MM from his contract. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Your point makes sense, except for the fact that I don't think Glennon is going to be cheap.  Or a one year deal.  If they pay Glennon semi-big money he be the starter the second he walks in the door

I agree.  Making the most money certainly gives him dibs on the starting job and a whole lot of the benefit of the doubt.  But still make him earn the job in camp.  I don't think Glennon will come cheap either, but he won't demand Romo, Cutler, or other washed out name QB money.  He'll cost us, but hopefully not crazy money. 

I think if he plays well it gets thm a wider set of data to analyze this offseason.  He won't be just given the job, but if he shows continued improvement they won't go overboard in going after somebody like Romo.  They'll just sign a veteran arm to compete with him.

The best he can hope for with so little playing time is that he shows enough to make the Jets comfortable about having him as a no. 2, or give himself a fair shot to win the starting job.

Well this is kinda hard to answer, what is "Real Deal?  What is the criteria for it?

If he goes out there and puts up Tom Brady type numbers, then yeah, I'd say we consider him a starter.  But what if it's 230 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT type games?  Is that real deal?  2 TD?

If the weather holds tomorrow, then yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how does against Miami.  Although if it's icy rain/snow, then the game might as well be thrown out.  

Thanks for post JetBlue..I really like petty, but the biggest mistake of the year was not starting him earlier.

we won't know sh*t about petty when season is over ...

i dint know schedule rest of the way but....

1-Miami - weather will dictate game, not QB play. Plus miamis best pass rusher going against our backup LT. 

2- NE @ Gillette. Ha

3- buffalo last game of year. Our OL and Petty will have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them on Jan 1

between the matchups and possible weather issues, not to mention half the team is trying to save their health for 2017 pay checks, pettys evaluation and/or grades, good OR bad, will be INCOMPLETE.

**** this team

**** em all 

I doubt Petty will play lights out. With a mediocre line at best and his inexperience I'm hoping he shows continued progression. There's probably gonna be some good and some bad and maybe some ugly.

I think the worst thing the Jets could do is draft another QB. Hack hasn't even seen the field yet. What the JETS don't need is another QB project. They already have 2 projects in development. They could sign a Vet, keep Geno or keep Fitz. I would hope to get a Vet but I don't want to see another Favre retread situation so, no Romo and no Cutler. I'm sure there will be another QB drama because they are the Jets and it seems to dominate the team these days.

What the Jets need to focus on in the draft is the O-Line and the Secondary but that's no big news to anyone. 

1 minute ago, MaxAF said:

I doubt Petty will play lights out. With a mediocre line at best and his inexperience I'm hoping he shows continued progression. There's probably gonna be some good and some bad and maybe some ugly.

I think the worst thing the Jets could do is draft another QB. Hack hasn't even seen the field yet. What the JETS don't need is another QB project. They already have 2 projects in development. They could sign a Vet, keep Geno or keep Fitz. I would hope to get a Vet but I don't want to see another Favre retread situation so, no Romo and no Cutler. I'm sure there will be another QB drama because they are the Jets and it seems to dominate the team these days.

What the Jets need to focus on in the draft is the O-Line and the Secondary but that's no big news to anyone. 

Petty, Geno and hack IMO. Lets draft lights out and build this roster.  Remember when we drafted BRICK?  They boo'd loudly for about 5 seconds, then a miracle. We JETS fans in attendance applauded loudly as even the mild fan recognizes we need an OLINE.   All the BS Mangini got..we drafted fairly well under him.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Petty, Geno and hack IMO. Lets draft lights out and build this roster.  Remember when we drafted BRICK?  They boo'd loudly for about 5 seconds, then a miracle. We JETS fans in attendance applauded loudly as even the mild fan recognizes we need an OLINE.   All the BS Mangini got..we drafted fairly well under him.

Yeah, can't argue w OL pick, but theees no one worth it at 5.

pass rusher or peppers, IMO.

i agree w petty, genius (ha-autocorrect for geno-I'll leave it)  and hack ...mainly because I believe in petty and would rather see him start 16 games.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Most if not all of the top teams are doing a good job protecting their QB. In reality if you give any NFL QB time they will pick you apart. 

1 minute ago, Shadetree said:

Yeah, can't argue w OL pick, but theees no one worth it at 5.

pass rusher or peppers, IMO.

i agree w petty, genius (ha-autocorrect for geno-I'll leave it)  and hack ...mainly because I believe in petty and would rather see him start 16 games.

OLINE just an example.  We have so many needs. BITONI @bitonti had a great post about a year ago looking at the top OLINE men in the league.  Most were first rounder FWIW.  I cant find it but it was pretty research.

Just now, MaxAF said:

Most if not all of the top teams are doing a good job protecting their QB. In reality if you give any NFL QB time they will pick you apart. 

We forget... each one of these "scrubs" as we fans call them was more than likely the best athlete in their county while in high school. 

EvenEven if Petty plays lights out, the sampling will too small to count on him to be next year's starter. No matter what, Geno and Fitz need to get out of Dodge and the Jets need to either draft a QB or sign a free agent and let 3 QB's compete in training camp.

This is mind blowing. Please let this sink in-Petty sucks. If it's not clear as day to you that he's completely outclassed out there I don't know what to tell you. The guy's ceiling is Case Keenum. As for Hack...he can't even dress, with 3 of the worst QB's in the league ahead of him and a RB on the depth chart...and he can't even dress. He's not even good enough to put a uniform on. If Petty and Fitz get injured we have a better chance seeing Bilal Powell at QB over him.

We do not have a QB on this team. None. If we don't draft a QB waiting on these 2 schlubs to prove something you might as well throw away the next 4-5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Well this is kinda hard to answer, what is "Real Deal?  What is the criteria for it?

If he goes out there and puts up Tom Brady type numbers, then yeah, I'd say we consider him a starter.  But what if it's 230 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT type games?  Is that real deal?  2 TD?

If the weather holds tomorrow, then yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how does against Miami.  Although if it's icy rain/snow, then the game might as well be thrown out.  

Command of he offense. Leads team team to Tds instead of field goals, the team responds to his leadership,  spreads ball around to all his receivers, make the deep ball a true weapon again.  2:1 td to turnover ratio while limiting turnovers especially in red zone. Wins maybe 2 out if next 3 with his play being a key factor in those wins...  something like that

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This is mind blowing. Please let this sink in-Petty sucks. If it's not clear as day to you that he's completely outclassed out there I don't know what to tell you. The guy's ceiling is Case Keenum. As for Hack...he can't even dress, with 3 of the worst QB's in the league ahead of him and a RB on the depth chart...and he can't even dress. He's not even good enough to put a uniform on. If Petty and Fitz get injured we have a better chance seeing Bilal Powell at QB over him.

We do not have a QB on this team. None. If we don't draft a QB waiting on these 2 schlubs to prove something you might as well throw away the next 4-5 years.

Yes All Knowing One.

3 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

EvenEven if Petty plays lights out, the sampling will too small to count on him to be next year's starter. No matter what, Geno and Fitz need to get out of Dodge and the Jets need to either draft a QB or sign a free agent and let 3 QB's compete in training camp.

And this why Bowles should be fired.  Perry should started weeks ago. 

23 hours ago, thatboyjack said:

If Petty plays "lights out" then Geno is definitely out (which is a forgone conclusion for most people) and there's a very real chance that #14 returns as Petty's back up...and a mentor to Petty and Hack. Since #14 is very familiar with Chan's offense, he can give up the lion's share of reps with the 2nd unit to Hack....and still remain "sharp" enough to fill in for Petty if Petty suffers an in-game injury. #14 comes cheap, and Hack gets reps....sounds plausible to me.

#14 Has burnt every bridge in this organization he ever built up, down...this season alone. He will never be a jet again and thank the good lord!! Aside from Bowles incompetence this season, Fitz is the reason the team was divided in the locker room. Goodbye cancer!

23 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Head into 2017 with Petty, Hack, and a rookie.   

If Petty stinks it up in '17 then give Hack a shot and look to the loaded '18 QB draft.  

agree with this, what is the worse that could happen in this scenario. We get 2 more drafts to stock the cupboards with young talent and get a top 2018 rookie QB.

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

So after 2 NFL starts, a shaky O-Line and last weeks start being probably his first full week getting first team reps your assessment is Petty sucks? And you haven't even seen Hack play one snap in the NFL and he's not the guy either. 

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Command of he offense. Leads team team to Tds instead of field goals, the team responds to his leadership,  spreads ball around to all his receivers, make the deep ball a true weapon again.  2:1 td to turnover ratio while limiting turnovers especially in red zone. Wins maybe 2 out if next 3 with his play being a key factor in those wins...  something like that

I think if he shows good command and ability to progress through reads, then he will go into next year as the tentative starter, with Hanckenberg as the backup, and some JAG as the veteran presence, sort of like Fitz a year ago.  I really think they set it up so that, it's find a QB in the last two draft in the mid round, or wait until '18.   I think they are "all in" on Tribusky because if he drops, then they want teams to move up or offer deals to move up and pick him off.  I think it's a smokescreen right now.  

The one thing, I do remember about the Petty draft was that I believe Seattle was sure we would take Lockett, and traded in front of us to pick him off, and we responded by trading out of that spot with the Texans (who at the time picked draftnik favorite Jalen Strong).  I wonder if we really did like Lockett, because he certainly would have solved our punt return issues.  

Draft a QB first round. No matter what.

I do not believe there is a QB that is worth a first round pick in this year's draft. I would take Peppers from Michigan if he is still on the board.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

So after 2 NFL starts, a shaky O-Line and last weeks start being probably his first full week getting first team reps your assessment is Petty sucks? And you haven't even seen Hack play one snap in the NFL and he's not the guy either. 

I'm going by odds. 4th round QB's rarely amount to anything. Yes Russell Wilson and Tom Brady are nice stories. Meanwhile behind them is a massive heap of bodies of late round QB's that don't make it. Bryce Petty is your typical Case Keenum, Jay Feely, Bryan Hoyer, never ending list of guys that never amount to more than solid backups. I'm confident saying that because every ounce of historical evidence proves it. You wanna throw the next 2 years on a roulette wheel 0 bet by all means that's your prerogative. Personally given that we haven't had a franchise QB in 50 years I'd like this team to start investing in serious prospects instead of scratch off tickets.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I'm going by odds. 4th round QB's rarely amount to anything. Yes Russell Wilson and Tom Brady are nice stories. Meanwhile behind them is a massive heap of bodies of late round QB's that don't make it. Bryce Petty is your typical Case Keenum, Jay Feely, Bryan Hoyer, never ending list of guys that never amount to more than solid backups. I'm confident saying that because every ounce of historical evidence proves it. You wanna throw the next 2 years on a roulette wheel 0 bet by all means that's your prerogative. Personally given that we haven't had a franchise QB in 50 years I'd like this team to start investing in serious prospects instead of scratch off tickets.

Dak Prescott says hello. We took Hack with a second rounder. Let's see what he can do next year. 

Archived