If Petty Proves to be the Real Deal... Then what?

JetBlue

Let's say Petty plays lights out these next few games; is that enough to cement him as a the favorite to start next season?  Or does the team still feel the need to go out and find another potential starter (Glennon etc) and them fight it out.

My feeling is the latter because 3 games really is not enough of a sample size to go all in on Petty, which is the reason I wanted him start at least 6 games and even that may not have been enough.   At any rate, I think last weeks win gave him a lot of confidence I am expecting a big game from him against Miami.   If Gailey moves him around the pocket and calls more roll out plays, I believe he will have success against their secondary.  I love our weapons in Marshall, Enunwa, Anderson and now ASJ making an appearance.   This may be the game we see something from Smith if he gets on the field.  If Powell can keep them honest, I like our chances in this game. 

Last week, the team actually rallied around him for the first time and I think that is also significant.   I think he has somewhat energized some of the veterans as well (that is why the whole Fitz saga this year was such waste...).  I know the younger guys will be hyped as this is their chance to show what they can do.   

I hope Petty can really shine this last few games and give us some hope this offseason... 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Trubisky news (who most sources have a rd 2grade) I suspect this team will still take another QB but not in rd 1, regardless of how Petty plays. They need to keep adding competition and they will need a 3rd QB anyway. 

for round 1 the top 5 prospects are shaping up to be DE Myles Garrett (who goes 1 probably), QB Deshone Kizer, DT Jonathan Allen, DB Jabrill Peppers and RB Leonard Fournette  

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can just see Allen (The best player in the draft) falling to us.  :P

I am in the minority but I want no part of Fournette that high.

Agree on both counts. If they draft another D lineman I'll puke. Fournette is risky, especially his ankle, but if he checks out medically he could be in the mix. There are other pass rushers as well that could factor into the discussion where the Jets pick. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

My feeling is the latter because 3 games really is not enough of a sample size to go all in on Petty, which is the reason I wanted him start at least 6 games and even that may not have been enough.  

If the coach and GM also feel that based on the sample size this year that they don't have enough to properly assess Petty then they should both be fired on the spot for not letting him start sooner.

If Petty plays "lights out" then Geno is definitely out (which is a forgone conclusion for most people) and there's a very real chance that #14 returns as Petty's back up...and a mentor to Petty and Hack. Since #14 is very familiar with Chan's offense, he can give up the lion's share of reps with the 2nd unit to Hack....and still remain "sharp" enough to fill in for Petty if Petty suffers an in-game injury. #14 comes cheap, and Hack gets reps....sounds plausible to me.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can just see Allen (The best player in the draft) falling to us.  :P

I am in the minority but I want no part of Fournette that high.

If things stand as is, the Jets could have their pick of Myles Garrett, Demarcus Walker, Jonathan Allen, Derek Barnett, and Jabril Peppers.  Would go a LONG way in helping with the pass rush.

That said, with so many options, including the second-tier of edge rushers like Dawuane Smoot, Tim Williams, Charles Harris, Takkarist McKinley, Reuben Foster, and T.J. Watt, they could get bold and move down a bit in the 1st or 2nd and recoup that 4th we lost in the Shell deal from last year.  By picking near the start of every round, there is a good possibility of netting a couple of pass rushers, another QB prospect, a CB, and some developmental OL guys.

29 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Draft a QB first round. No matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in this draft....too risky, and too many good EDGE rushers to pass on.  This is a draft where you look in Rd's 2-3 to pick a QB and let him sit and learn.  It sucks, but there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft.

He would really have to explode to lock the starting job and even then I'd imagine they will still bring in some vet backup. 

Even if Petty or Hack are serviceable for a couple years that would help the team build up other areas and hunt for a QB we want versus always scrambling to find somebody who can do the job without being a total ****up. 

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

With the Trubisky news (who most sources have a rd 2grade)

2 things the Jets shouldn't do: 

1-  draft a TE in rd 1 

2- draft a QB in rd 2  

I understand that there is no correlation to what's happened over the past 25 years but sometimes you just can't fight city hall.   

Regarding Fitzpatrick, I am a little confused on his contract.  As far as his contract goes, it is a 1 year deal with 2017 a $0 voidable year to let them prorate the bonus.  $5M against the 2017 cap, yay!  Does that mean that the Jets could be in line to get a comp pick if he signs a deal somewhere?  The Revis deal with the Pats was kind of the opposite... his 2015 number was voidable at $22M or something like that, but I think it netted the Pats a 3rd.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Regarding Fitzpatrick, I am a little confused on his contract.  As far as his contract goes, it is a 1 year deal with 2017 a $0 voidable year to let them prorate the bonus.  $5M against the 2017 cap, yay!  Does that mean that the Jets could be in line to get a comp pick if he signs a deal somewhere?  The Revis deal with the Pats was kind of the opposite... his 2015 number was voidable at $22M or something like that, but I think it netted the Pats a 3rd.

No

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Let's say Petty plays lights out these next few games; is that enough to cement him as a the favorite to start next season?  Or does the team still feel the need to go out and find another potential starter (Glennon etc) and them fight it out.

My feeling is the latter because 3 games really is not enough of a sample size to go all in on Petty, which is the reason I wanted him start at least 6 games and even that may not have been enough.   At any rate, I think last weeks win gave him a lot of confidence I am expecting a big game from him against Miami.   If Gailey moves him around the pocket and calls more roll out plays, I believe he will have success against their secondary.  I love our weapons in Marshall, Enunwa, Anderson and now ASJ making an appearance.   This may be the game we see something from Smith if he gets on the field.  If Powell can keep them honest, I like our chances in this game. 

Last week, the team actually rallied around him for the first time and I think that is also significant.   I think he has somewhat energized some of the veterans as well (that is why the whole Fitz saga this year was such waste...).  I know the younger guys will be hyped as this is their chance to show what they can do.   

I hope Petty can really shine this last few games and give us some hope this offseason... 

it seems to me if petty does play lights out then the jets really won't need to use a high draft pick on another qb nor would they need to sign someone like glennon or romo or some other potential starter.  the thing is if petty plays well then the new guys on the oline are also playing well and so on.  not such a bad place to be heading into next year.

Regardless if Petty proves to be a legit starting QB the rest of the way or not, if the Jets do not draft another QB and have to sign another QB as either a backup or as a starter, if Fitz or Geno are even considered, there will be a lot of very unhappy campers around here, myself included.  We need some new blood at the position and to inject some life into the team.   A new face will help do that, especially at QB.  Fitz proved who he really is this year, and we all know (well, most of us) know what Geno is.  Both aren't the answer.  Time to move on.

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

What I look at with a QB is what was he did the year before. Petty has improved greatly from last year. Last year there was no way he competes in an NFL game.  This year he can compete. After watching him in Pre Season and now with what we are giving him shows me will and drive. I am positive he will get better. 

3 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Open QB competition next season no matter what.  Petty, Glennon and Hack.  Best player starts.

Your point makes sense, except for the fact that I don't think Glennon is going to be cheap.  Or a one year deal.  If they pay Glennon semi-big money he be the starter the second he walks in the door

7 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

2 things the Jets shouldn't do: 

1-  draft a TE in rd 1 

2- draft a QB in rd 2  

I understand that there is no correlation to what's happened over the past 25 years but sometimes you just can't fight city hall.   

NO NO ////  Not a tight end.

I see ugly visions of KYLE BRADY

Archived