Judging draft picks.

UnitedWhofans

Can we not judge the quality of draft picks and players until 2-3 years down the line? Because it shows a lack of patience and it kind of explains why Macc went with a competitive rebuild in the first place.

Because if most fans think that way, then Woody will think that way. Because all Woody wants to do is get fans in the seats and grab the headlines. And given what happened with the last GM, it does affect him

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Can we not judge the quality of draft picks and players until 2-3 years down the line? Because it shows a lack of patience and it kind of explains why Macc went with a competitive rebuild in the first place.

Because if most fans think that way, then Woody will think that way. Because all Woody wants to do is get fans in the seats and grab the headlines. And given what happened with the last GM, it does affect him

The more you post, the more obvious it is that message boards simply aren't for you.

On message boards, fans express their opinions on things and they vent their frustrations.  They have discussions.  Sometimes those discussions are about veterans.  Sometimes they are about rookies.  Sometimes they are about coaches.  Sometimes they are about General Managers.  Sometimes, they are about ownership.

You don't get to dictate the conversation here, and frankly, if you did, there would literally be no threads, because we'd all just be waiting for another couple years before having an opinion.  Now, if you can't tolerate that fans will talk about these topics, you should find something else to occupy your idle time with.

Also, every time you have a thought, it doesn't merit a new thread.

You MUST judge draft picks as soon as they are made.

Why would a person do such a thing?  Because that is what the gm of the New York Jets has to do.

It makes zero sense to not judge until 3-4 years down the road because we all know by then.  I bet we all agree that Vernon Gholston was a bad pick.  I bet we can all agree that Darelle Revis was an awesome pick.  Serves no purpose.

Make your feelings known now about picks and give your logical reasons now and own the decisions 3-4 years down the road.

The people that don't want to judge now are simply chickens who never want to be wrong.  If you like a guy/pick pump his tires if you don't blast him, just own those opinions years down the road.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The people that don't want to judge now are simply chickens who never want to be wrong.  If you like a guy/pikc pump his tires if you don;t blast him, just own those opinions years down the road.

I'm dealing with that now with Pryor... I thought he'd be a really good player and help take away a large portion of the field... I thought he'd police way more and be more than just a guy that can hit people hard once or twice a season... Oops.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

this is new york.  win or suffer

4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm dealing with that now with Pryor... I thought he'd be a really good player and help take away a large portion of the field... I thought he'd police way more and be more than just a guy that can hit people hard once or twice a season... Oops.

Me too, I din;t mind the Pryor pick at the time, we needed a safety and supposedly got a big hitter box safety that could cover.  I guess Ha-Ha got the last laugh.

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The more you post, the more obvious it is that message boards simply aren't for you.

On message boards, fans express their opinions on things and they vent their frustrations.  They have discussions.  Sometimes those discussions are about veterans.  Sometimes they are about rookies.  Sometimes they are about coaches.  Sometimes they are about General Managers.  Sometimes, they are about ownership.

You don't get to dictate the conversation here, and frankly, if you did, there would literally be no threads, because we'd all just be waiting for another couple years before having an opinion.  Now, if you can't tolerate that fans will talk about these topics, you should find something else to occupy your idle time with.

POTW! 

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Me too, I din;t mind the Pryor pick at the time, we needed a safety and supposedly got a big hitter box safety that could cover.  I guess Ha-Ha got the last laugh.

I keep hoping that maybe, just maybe, he's been being played and told to do things that aren't to his natural ability... I feel like that's happened quite a bit this year... Like when they have Buster Skrine cover the #1 outside WR threat instead of play the nickle for some unknown reason... I just kind of hope I don't know enough about Football that I'm missing how out of position they're playing him this year...Maybe if they just go put him back in the box and say "do what you do" he'll be good enough. 

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

how long we have to wait before we judge the quality of your posts?

every other day you post about the same issue , you are the bizzaro version of joewilly12

You cant tell how the drafted players will pan out for some time, its a big jump from college from pro and the kids/young adults have to learn and grow.

Also the drafted players need to have opportunity to learn from existing players and adapt to the team culture.

This is a very important dynamic as it almost completely explains why teams that try to rebuild through draft stay in a perpetual state of rebuild.

Browns are perfect example of this. This year they got rid of all their NFL caliber players [except Joe Thomas] and signed all 14 draft picks most of which were acquired from trading down. Good example is wide receiver position they dumped Taylor Gabriel now a star in Atlanta a drafted a handful of wide receivers. If you can name any without looking up their roster you're doing better than me. I can remember the 5'9" 9th pick with 3 TD's for the year, but only because of his height.

Out of the 14 they have maybe 2 that look like good prospects, no difference makers and are further away from fielding a competitive 53 man roster than when they were basically an expansion team in the 90's. At this rate they will never be able to field a competitive team. But Haslam, the owner, will continue to get richer while the fans suffer.

Even if they get a decent QB next year they will still suck.

Main benefit is to the owner as they are now around $100m under salary cap, which flows straight to bottom line.

At least Woody is prepared to spend and we have a somewhat reasonable player base to add to. We did win 10 games last year. He's not deliberately trying to field an noncompetitive team like the Browns.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Props to you for admitting this. Calvin Pryor was a total WTF pick to me. But I liked the Amaro pick a lot. ?

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You seem to miss Idzik. And I'm glad we were so patient with players like Gholston n Kyle Wilson. 

11 hours ago, gEYno said:

Mlpfb.gif

11 hours ago, gEYno said:

The Raiders - 46 punts inside the 20 and only 1 touchback... That's incredible.

Yea and it took time for Marquette King to become the punter he has become.  M King always had the big leg, but it took time for him to develop touch, and become more consistent kicking.(  shanks aren't as frequently as they were early in his career. 

Have to have patience with your rookie punter, and in time he will be a very good punter in this league. He has all the skill and just needs time to hone his craft.

jmo with out a doubt in time that pick the punter will be a very good one.

The problem is not that we tend to judge every draft pick too early which we do. The problem is that we judge every pick as if he were the number 1 overall. I don't know the statistics off hand but I think it would be pretty uncommon for a team to have more than two or three picks actually become a contributor for them. Most of our draft picks have shown us little flashes, Lee looks like he can become a good lb if he works on his awareness his coverage has been good, Burris too, maudlin will probably end up being a situational player which is ok because every team needs those, devin Smith's biggest downfall when he was healthy is that he was too fast for Fitzpatrick and was often underthrown. Maybe the majority of the fan base doesn't care what different players bring to the table and if the team sucks they just assume all the players suck ( this has actually been obvious with some of the threads this season)

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Forums typically bring out the "what's wrong" type of crowd. For example, there are forums on trucks. Every thread is about something that broke down, and a bunch of people who experienced the same thing and how much their truck sucks. Musician forums, health forums, you name it. The thing I've realized is 99% of Jets fans don't post on forums. It's mainly just the maniacal blow everything up it all sucks people. A Jets forum is not a typical snapshot of the avg Jets fan at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, gEYno said:

it doesn't sound like he's dictating anything.  he merely stating that there's been a ton of vitriol heaped on mac for the players including the rookies.  since mac has only been part of 2 drafts it seems fair to leave the performance of any of his drafted players out of the discussion until next season.  the biggest issues have been drafting the two qb's and devon smith.  well, the jury is still out on those guys.  smith can't seem to get back on the field after a so-so rookie year.  petty has shown some good improvement as he's started to get into games.  hack was going to sit this season out regardless.

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You MUST judge draft picks as soon as they are made.

Why would a person do such a thing?  Because that is what the gm of the New York Jets has to do.

It makes zero sense to not judge until 3-4 years down the road because we all know by then.  I bet we all agree that Vernon Gholston was a bad pick.  I bet we can all agree that Darelle Revis was an awesome pick.  Serves no purpose.

Make your feelings known now about picks and give your logical reasons now and own the decisions 3-4 years down the road.

The people that don't want to judge now are simply chickens who never want to be wrong.  If you like a guy/pick pump his tires if you don't blast him, just own those opinions years down the road.

don't agree except for maybe the top two rounds.  all other rounds are too much of a crapshoot.

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Williams: fine

lee: sucks

hackenburg: sucks

devin smith: sucks

lorenzo maudlin: sucks

jarvis Jenkins: sucks

Brandon shell: sucks

Burris: kinda sucks

punter: ok

Williams: good

Lee: horrible

Hack: ugh

Devin S : double ugh

Mauldin: another hyped up joke

Shell: could be good

Burris: may turn out OK

If we are evaluating Redskins draft picks yeah Jenkins sucks.

Punter: his leg hasnt fallen off yet

Archived