By my count, Jets need to fill 12 positions this offseason

Sarge4Tide

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Another important position the Jets need to fill is offensive coordinator. Depending on the type of offense he wants to run, it should target which positions he thinks should be given the highest priority. 

Unlike our head coach and dcoordianotr I want an oc that can take what talent we give him and develop.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think Folk is a cap casualty. He's paid like a top ten kicker. He isn't one. 

You left off Marcus Williams (he'll be retained) and Buster Skrine (won't be cut). And Jalin Marshall. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ijalana back on the cheap. He can at least push Shell for time at RT. 

They brought in Tomlinson at TE and he seemed to get decent snaps as the blocking TE. He's cheap and I bet he'll be back. They also held onto Bowman for a while at TE on the IR so I bet they have plans for him. Position obviously needs work but it's not as presssing as others.

Jenkins can catch as well.....I would be pushing TE to next draft.  I would be drafting a CB in this draft though; there is quite a bit of talent. 

MAYBE drafting a developmental OT.  I would not be counting on any of these guys to step in and start at LT.  That has to be a FA fix.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Unlike our head coach and dcoordianotr I want an oc that can take what talent we give him and develop.

You might find this hard to believe, but that's not their job.

It's the job of the position coaches to develop the talent the GM assembles.  The HC sets the plan for the team and he hires coordinators to execute his plan .  Then you hire the best possible position coaches to teach the schemes you want to deploy .  It's the Job of the position coaches to develop the players .

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

You're on the right track.  I actually think it is more like 15. 

Best case scenario is the team is legitimately competitive in 2020.  And that is if they execute a rebuild correctly.

If the Jets continue to draft poorly, a decade of Jets dark ages football like the 70s are on the horizon.

NO FRAUD AGENCY SPLURGING. Bargain shop only fot quality character guys, Special Teams contributors, and versatile fringe starter offensive lineman until they can draft some blue-chip big fellas.

Pretty damn good.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Marshall is clearly in decline and long overdue to melt down and physically accost a teammate, but Woody is guided by whatever dumb sh*t season ticket holders say on Twitter, so I'm sure he'll be back with a renegotiated contract that keeps him here until 2020.

90c12df3645aee61e4a548013189b230fa8a7cf0

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Since the $6m is sunk cost (no matter where he ends up), anyone else would have to outbid the Jets by $6m to outbid us. If we offered him $8m it's "only" $2m more than our sunk cost, but $7m more than he's likely to be offered from anyone else.

Unless someone was willing to offer him >$6m, why would they bother bidding more than $1m? To Revis, it's the same money, whether it's $1m from his new team and $5m from the Jets, or $5.5m from his new team and $500k from the Jets.

We offer $8m and someone else would have to offer up >$8m (with no Jets offset anymore), and I see about zero teams interested in that after his 2016 performance.

While I agree with the theoretical logic behind all of what you're saying, the one potential benefit that could come the Jets way, if they were willing to roll the dice with cutting him, is that while it might be the same amount of money Revis gets, it's simply a matter of his ego that I think could very likely cause him to refuse to agree to a $1M contract with another team.  You know he'll be making moves with the mindset of wanting to cash in again next year, so having such a small contract agreement on his resume is something that would seem a bit out of character for him.

With that said, the other risk of that is if he were only to get those kind of offers, I would not be at all surprised if Revis instead opted to simply sit the year out and collect his paycheck from the Jets while sitting at home.  If nothing else, he certainly has no issues gambling on himself.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It literally amazes me how Jets fans are fooled by this dude.  I get it.  2015 was fun to watch.  He made some amazing catches, sh*t we havent seen since Toon.  He also dropped the most meaningful pass of the year vs. New England but we let it slide because he made Fitz look like a real Qb for a season and the offense was good.  Meanwhile, he's top 3 in drops and the worst catch ratio in the league and has proven yet again to be a divisive and terrible person to have in the locker room. 

This all gets ignored because he's says all the right things to media.  You know, a sector in society that's he's a part of and clearly wants to be his career after Football.  He's the most calculated player in the NFL when it comes to addressing the media.  Of course he says the right things all the time because that's his job.  The job he's good at.  The other job he gets paid a ton for...not so much.  Statistically he's one of the worst and now he's destroyed another locker room, admittedly. 

But lets keep him around because that's the type of player you want to help a sh*tty young QB on a terrible Football team. 

His numbers way overstate his actual ability and he's a huge prick, but he's really famous and spouts tough-guy platitudes to the media. If you went into a lab and created a guy to be worshipped by dumbass Jets fans, you'd come out with Brandon Marshall.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It literally amazes me how Jets fans are fooled by this dude.  I get it.  2015 was fun to watch.  He made some amazing catches, sh*t we havent seen since Toon.  He also dropped the most meaningful pass of the year vs. New England but we let it slide because he made Fitz look like a real Qb for a season and the offense was good.  Meanwhile, he's top 3 in drops and the worst catch ratio in the league and has proven yet again to be a divisive and terrible person to have in the locker room. 

This all gets ignored because he's says all the right things to media.  You know, a sector in society that's he's a part of and clearly wants to be his career after Football.  He's the most calculated player in the NFL when it comes to addressing the media.  Of course he says the right things all the time because that's his job.  The job he's good at.  The other job he gets paid a ton for...not so much.  Statistically he's one of the worst and now he's destroyed another locker room, admittedly. 

But lets keep him around because that's the type of player you want to help a sh*tty young QB on a terrible Football team. 

So how does keeping him not give us a better chance at Sam Darnold? I mean that's our goal. Right? Please?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You're amazed?! These are the same people who were still begging to keep Fitzpatrick as the starter. That wanted him signed no matter what. That even after 9 INTs in three games were saying how bad everyone else was.

These are the same people who think he "plays hard" while attempting to catch passes one-handed and while, as you mentioned, he's top-3 in drops.

As has been brought up, the one position (or set of them) that I definitely think is going to need more than predicted here will be the OL.  It would require retention of multiple players who are far from sure things, and faith in Shell to be pretty much locked in as a starter.  There's a good chance they'll at least want some insurance for Shell, even if not a guaranteed starter, and there's the very real possibility of any (or all) of Winters, Mangold, and Johnson being gone.  LT is of course the most obvious of needs along the OL that everyone knows, amongst the rest of the positions, Carpenter is really the only one that's a sure.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

I really don't get the hatred for Marshall.  Only high priced vet who actually played hard last season.  Oh he was honest about the team quitting! How dare.

Dropped more passes than I ever saw. Plus, he is a phony, which is why Sheldon Richardson hates him. Even Enunwa had some harsh words for him, saying that Marshall gives spot on advice but makes it a personal criticism of you in the process. Not good. He's gotta go.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

You might find this hard to believe, but that's not their job.

It's the job of the position coaches to develop the talent the GM assembles.  The HC sets the plan for the team and he hires coordinators to execute his plan .  Then you hire the best possible position coaches to teach the schemes you want to deploy .  It's the Job of the position coaches to develop the players .

Your theory is wonderful but it is 100% incorrect under Rex Ryan and todd bowles and in many other coaches in this league that have a specialty.  Worse for our team is the GM and coach seem to have a disconnect.  The Gm has provided the team with some young assets that will play best in one system and our Dcoacjhes are all over the place in how they use players.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

You're amazed?! These are the same people who were still begging to keep Fitzpatrick as the starter. That wanted him signed no matter what. That even after 9 INTs in three games were saying how bad everyone else was.

These are the same people who think he "plays hard" while attempting to catch passes one-handed and while, as you mentioned, he's top-3 in drops.

I guess you can divide Jet fans into five categories.

They love Fitz.

They want Geno back.

They want a QB that a divisional who hasn't made the playoffs in a generation's cast off.

They want a perennial back who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in two full seasons on a team that hasn't been near a playoff team while he has been on it.

Dont want anybody so we can have the top pick in 2018.

All of us are delusional and the only thing that is certain, what ever happens will fail.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Your theory is wonderful but it is 100% incorrect under Rex Ryan and todd bowles and in many other coaches in this league that have a specialty.  Worse for our team is the GM and coach seem to have a disconnect.  The Gm has provided the team with some young assets that will play best in one system and our Dcoacjhes are all over the place in how they use players.

If you say so .

6 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Linebacker - 8
   52 - David Harris 6'2" 245 Michigan
   55 - Lorenzo Mauldin 6'4" 259 Louisville
   48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Ohio State 
   50 - Darron Lee 6'1" 235 Ohio State
   54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina 
   56 - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan 
   95 - Josh Martin 6'3" 245 Columbia 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT

Unless your VETERAN FREE AGENT is Von Miller then I can't believe you'd be happy standing pat with this unit. It still surprises me that in all the analysis of our failures, all the talk of ageing O-Line or lack of a franchise QB etc  people still don't get that it's about the pass rush, we simply haven't had one for a decade and while there is major talent up front(despite the evidence of this season), it's all 300 pounders who are never going to be able to apply the kind of rapid, in-the-blink-of-an-eye pressure that comes from having serious speed at LB, especially off the edge.

Apply serious rapidity, quick twitch and rush from the OLB position and the guys inside become more productive exponentially, Those talented big-bodies up front need blocking too so gaps open up for blitzers or edge rushers to exploit. Getting in the face of opposing QB's quicker and more consistently means WR don't have an age to wriggle free from coverage so our DB play improves.....everyone gets better

How many times did we see opposing passers having an age back there to find an open receiver? not just this year but going back to Rex and beyond.

Anyone who read Collision Low Crossers will remember how Pettine and the staff identified the major hole in their defense, right back at the beginning, was the lack of a 'b!tch kitty' pass rusher. They never filled that hole and it was in my view the major reason why the D under Rex never took that step up to elite, Sure we could shut down almost any running attack and scheming and creative blitzing got us so far but ultimately we couldn't get off the field on critical 3rd downs against the Roethlisbergers or Brady's of this world when it really counted because our OLB have been slow and ponderous for years.

Not saying that some worryingly poor coaching, the legacy of shocking drafting over several years and the regression of a number of previously solid units on the team hasn't contributed massively also, especially this year, to our present situation but finally there is a draft upcoming where the edge talent is there in abundance and runs deep. With a top 6 pick at the very least I expect a difference maker to be drafted at OLB this year, possibly two(sorry Mauldin & Jenkins are the same player for me, solid edge setter with some pass rush ability but worrying nobody overly much without some serious help coming from the other LB  positions). It'll need to be some player at 6 to not go pass rusher(maybe Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker), 

I personally would bring back Marshall and Revis, I just don't see how we can find 3 quality DB's in one off-season and I still love what Marshall has brought to the team. Sheldon Richardson is not enough of a grown up for me to take his word against anyone else's that BMarsh is the problem and not him.

For me Mangold is increasingly the odd man out, I know it's tantamount to heresy to say it but I've thought he has been overrated for a while now, Brick was the bigger loss(ironically he always got the criticism around Jets fans for being overrated while Mangold got a free pass) Mangold is increasingly unreliable health wise and I can't honestly say there was a notable drop off in play from the C position when Wesley Johnson took over. Dakota Dozier too looked ready for a starting role after the Bills game. he and Brandon Shell were absolutely dominating people on the right side of the line, Bilal Powell was finding acres of space that earlier in the season's simply wasn't there. Dozier could be ready to challenge with Johnson for the start at Center with Kyle Friend also providing an intriguing option. 

Just my opinion

The best way to groom a young QB is to release your #1 WR, especially when he's making a whooping $7.5 mil. Have we not learned our lesson yet? If Marshall is released to make cap room, I hope Macc gets canned. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think there is a good chance Brandon Marshall is back. Depends on the fall out from the locker room stuff. From a football standpoint though, he will be back. 7.5 million, and he would re-negotiate.

I am not sure Revis is getting cut either. I wish they would have moved him to safety. But I am wondering if they bring him back on a new deal and change the expectation level around him.

God I hope not with Revis. He has nothing. He'd be a terrible safety. Beyond bump and run, he really can't do anything. 

I'm not sure if this was factored in but Tanner Purdum, Bruce Carter, Brian Winters, Josh Martin are all free agents.  Brandon Bostick and Wesley Johnson are restricted free agents (as is Marcus Williams).  Is it assumed that all of the players that were mentioned that are free agents would sign back with the Jets?  Seems likely, but was just checking.  Would change the numbers a little bit depending on who is re-signed vs players that may sign elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I agree with the theoretical logic behind all of what you're saying, the one potential benefit that could come the Jets way, if they were willing to roll the dice with cutting him, is that while it might be the same amount of money Revis gets, it's simply a matter of his ego that I think could very likely cause him to refuse to agree to a $1M contract with another team.  You know he'll be making moves with the mindset of wanting to cash in again next year, so having such a small contract agreement on his resume is something that would seem a bit out of character for him.

With that said, the other risk of that is if he were only to get those kind of offers, I would not be at all surprised if Revis instead opted to simply sit the year out and collect his paycheck from the Jets while sitting at home.  If nothing else, he certainly has no issues gambling on himself.

I'm not seeing the benefit to the Jets there. If his ego won't let him play elsewhere for $1m, that's literally the worst case scenario for the Jets, who'd then be on the hook for the full $6m without even a $1m (veteran minimum) offset.

So most of you are ok with a rebuild but want Marshall? Why? He's got to go for the following reasons;

1- he's on the decline, you can't pay a guy for what he did rather for what he can still do. The 2016 #'s speak for themselves..the writing is on the wall. How many dropped passes will it take to convince you guys that he's not the beast he once was?

2- keeping him only takes a spot to develop the team's next #1. I'm not saying that the next guy is the roster but Mac has done a decent job stockpiling a bunch of young WR. These guys need to play. Plus Enunwa has made tremendous strides...who knows maybe it's him? And who knows maybe Mac picks a WR playmaker at #6?

3- He's not a leader. He wants to be, but he isn't. that riff with Richardson proved it. His Halftime speech actually help divide the room and based on Richardson being chosen as a game day team captain ( which if I'm not mistaken is chosen by the players) most players seem to have sided with Richardson.

I applaud the man's strength and resilience for what he has accomplished on the personal side is nothing but impressive. But keeping him is the wrong business move.Time to cut bait.

54 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

So most of you are ok with a rebuild but want Marshall? Why? He's got to go for the following reasons;

1- he's on the decline, you can't pay a guy for what he did rather for what he can still do. The 2016 #'s speak for themselves..the writing is on the wall. How many dropped passes will it take to convince you guys that he's not the beast he once was?

2- keeping him only takes a spot to develop the team's next #1. I'm not saying that the next guy is the roster but Mac has done a decent job stockpiling a bunch of young WR. These guys need to play. Plus Enunwa has made tremendous strides...who knows maybe it's him? And who knows maybe Mac picks a WR playmaker at #6?

3- He's not a leader. He wants to be, but he isn't. that riff with Richardson proved it. His Halftime speech actually help divide the room and based on Richardson being chosen as a game day team captain ( which if I'm not mistaken is chosen by the players) most players seem to have sided with Richardson.

I applaud the man's strength and resilience for what he has accomplished on the personal side is nothing but impressive. But keeping him is the wrong business move.Time to cut bait.

I was for keeping Marshall to help the QBs develop, but I watched him drop too many passes and cause too much trouble.

I would approach it as follows:

1)  Decker-will he be healthy in 2017.  Is he recovered?  If so, he can be the possession receiver for the QBs

2)  If Decker is not recovered, might as well cut him.  We don't need him for 2018.

3)  If we cut Decker based on the above, then we can keep Marshall

9 hours ago, slats said:

Brandon Marshall is still the best WR on the team, I want him back. I'm interested in the idea of Revis staying -after a pay cut- and moving primarily to safety. Don't care about the FB position, but I'd put a priority on TE. 

Revis needs to play for half, or he is gone.. right about Marshall, modest 7.5 and he said he would be willlng to take a cut.. Forget drafting a qb for one yr.. Let hackenberg have a shot. 18 draft Has a good qb class coming out, and we will be be picking high again..

12 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Dropped more passes than I ever saw. Plus, he is a phony, which is why Sheldon Richardson hates him. Even Enunwa had some harsh words for him, saying that Marshall gives spot on advice but makes it a personal criticism of you in the process. Not good. He's gotta go.

That's not what Q said at all. And if we're basing roster decisions on what Sheldon thinks...

7 hours ago, varjet said:

I was for keeping Marshall to help the QBs develop, but I watched him drop too many passes and cause too much trouble.

I would approach it as follows:

1)  Decker-will he be healthy in 2017.  Is he recovered?  If so, he can be the possession receiver for the QBs

2)  If Decker is not recovered, might as well cut him.  We don't need him for 2018.

3)  If we cut Decker based on the above, then we can keep Marshall

If Decker is injured and you cut him, I'm almost positive the Jets are on the hook for that money anyway. Injury protections and whatnot. 

17 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I have us cutting loose Revis and Brandon Marshall - I suppose both could be back.  Have David Harris coming back, but he could be gone. Also have both Richardson and Wilkerson coming back in the DL

By my count we need to fill 12 positions this offseason

• QB (1) PRIORITY 1
  • RB (1)
  • FB (1)
  • WR (1)
  • TE (1)
  • OL (2)
  • LB (1)
  • CB (3) PRIORITY 1A
  • S (1)

TOTAL - 53

OFFENSE - 26
Quarterback - 3
   9 - Bryce Petty 6'3" 230 (QB)
   5 - Christian Hackenberg 6'4" 225 Penn State 
   X - VETERAN FREE AGENT

Running Back - 4
   29 - Bilal Powell 5'11" 207 Louisville 
   22 - Matt Forte 6'2" 218 Tulane (RB) 
   33 - Khiry Robinson 6'0" 220 West Texas A&M (RB) OR VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Fullback - 1
   X - VETERAN FREE AGENT / UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT

Tight End - 3
   82 - Brandon Bostick 6'3" 250 Penn State 
   88 - Austin Seferian-Jenkins 6'5" 260 Washington
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Wide Receiver - 6
   87 - Eric Decker 6'3" 214 Minnesota  
   81 - Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska
   11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple
   17 - Charone Peake 6'3" 205 Clemson
   19 - Devin Smith 6'0" 196 Ohio State 
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Offensive Line - 9
   77 - James Carpenter 6'5 321 Alabama (G) 
   79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (T)
   74 - Nick Mangold 6'4" 305 Ohio State (C)
   76 - Wesley Johnson 6'5" 297 (C/G)
   70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T)
   67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 (G)
   72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (T/G) 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - DRAFT PICK

DEFENSE - 24
  Defensive Line - 6
   96 - Muhammad Wilkerson 6'4" 315 Temple  (DT/DE) 
   92 - Leonard Williams 6'5 300 USC (DE/DT)
   91 - Sheldon Richardson 6'3" 294 Missouri (DT/DE)
   99 - Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT)
   95 - Deon Simon 6'4" 330 Northwest St LA  (DT)
   75 - Anthony Johnson 6'2" 295 LSU  (DT)    OR  97 - Lawrence Thomas 6'4" 305 Michigan State  (DE/DT)

Linebacker - 8
   52 - David Harris 6'2" 245 Michigan
   55 - Lorenzo Mauldin 6'4" 259 Louisville
   48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Ohio State 
   50 - Darron Lee 6'1" 235 Ohio State
   54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina 
   56 - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan 
   95 - Josh Martin 6'3" 245 Columbia 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT

Cornerback - 6
   32 - Juston Burris 6'0" 205 NC State 
   27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall
   37 - Bryson Keeton 6'2" 190 Montana State 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Safety - 4
   25 - Calvin Pryor 5'11" 207 Louisville
   45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA)
   36 - Doug Middleton 6'0" 210 Appalachian State 
   XX - DRAFT PICK

SPECIAL TEAMS - 3
 Punter - 1
   4 - Lac Edwards 6'4" 215 Sam Houston State (2016 Draft Pick)

Kicker - 1
   2 - Nick Folk 6'2" 222 Arizona 

Long Snapper - 1
   46 - Tanner Purdum 6'3" 275

This team sucks 

20 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets need to fill 1 role and that will transform the whole team. In 2015, a tired old washed up QB had a career year and set Jet records with a team that 1 year later, looked lost while struggling to win 5 games .

Three major differences between 2015 and 2016 Jet seasons

The Play of the QB

The absence of the starting RB

The absence of the Starting NT

Of those 3, which 1 would you say was the biggest issue ?   

Tinstar,

first of all, good post.

second of all since I was too cowardly to support you in your Shotty thread for fear of neg reps I'm going to be pos repping you for a while to make up for it. :) 

Archived