Mike and the Mad Dog story about Kotite

JOJOTOWNSELL

Just listened to the Mike and the Mad Dog reunion hour they had down in Houston at the Super Bowl.

They were talking about Pete Carroll and how Mike never could foresee how good of a coach he was going to turn out to be because he was immature during his time with the Jets.

Then they segued over to Kotite and Mike dropped this bomb........"Kotite only got the Jets job because he performed the Heimlich Maneuver on Leon Hess!"   It could've been a throwaway line but Dog finished his sentence for him which leads me to believe they both are under the impression that this is why Hess hired him!  

Anyone ever hear of this before?  Trying to find the video/audio to post here but can't find the whole thing

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Just listened to the Mike and the Mad Dog reunion hour they had down in Houston at the Super Bowl.

They were talking about Pete Carroll and how Mike never could foresee how good of a coach he was going to turn out to be because he was immature during his time with the Jets.

Then they segued over to Kotite and Mike dropped this bomb........"Kotite only got the Jets job because he performed the Heimlich Maneuver on Leon Hess!"   It could've been a throwaway line but Dog finished his sentence for him which leads me to believe they both are under the impression that this is why Hess hired him!  

Anyone ever hear of this before?  Trying to find the video/audio to post here but can't find the whole thing

They were just joking. Hess always like Kotite. He was their Offensive Coordinator in the 1980s. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

They were just joking. Hess always like Kotite. He was their Offensive Coordinator in the 1980s. 

in all fairness kotite's offense wasn't that bad and he also made some good draft picks.  he just never got his teams ready and he was snakebit with bad quarterbacking.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So does Todd Bowles perform sex acts on Woody Johnson I cant see no other reason he was hired and retained as the head coach here.

Woody's got a Grafenberg Spot. Rex could hit it too

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

The 80s Jets offense and Randall Cunningham combined to create the mis-perception that this guy could coach.

The Philly D he inherited from Buddy was one of the most unsung D's I've ever seen. Coordinated by Bud Carson ;)

The owner wanted Kottite gone early on too, even tho they won early with him.

And Joe Walton ran the O here pretty much.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So does Todd Bowles perform sex acts on Woody Johnson I cant see no other reason he was hired and retained as the head coach here.

Not even I would say something like that LOL, that's cold ... But you may have a point, I cannot see any other valid reason to continue this absolute charade, there HAS to be something going on...

23 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

We all know Kotite was the coordinator and Hess loved him, but I'm telling you they were making it seem like their was some mysterious incident where Kotite saved Hess' life!  

Did you hear the segment?

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

in all fairness kotite's offense wasn't that bad and he also made some good draft picks.  he just never got his teams ready and he was snakebit with bad quarterbacking.

What doomed Kotite was the awful coaching staff he assembled.  His two best assistants with the Eagles were SP coordinator Larry Pasquale and Defensive Coordinator Bud Carson, neither returned with him to the Jets. 

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

We all know Kotite was the coordinator and Hess loved him, but I'm telling you they were making it seem like their was some mysterious incident where Kotite saved Hess' life!  

Did you hear the segment?

I didn't hear the segment, I just aasume they were kidding. 

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

Like too many Jets' HCs, it was the Peter Principle; he was a decent coordinator but had no business being a HC. As to his deys, dems and dos, met some bent noses who talked like that, especially some old time bookies, who were way sharper than their speech pattern might lead you to believe. Would probably have a better evening in the company of Kotite than Noam Chomsky anyway. And to his credit understood when the axe came it was time to go, he got. He has done some radio work for the Eagles, but never coached again. And part of the reason he failed in Philly was a team split offense vs. defense because of the My Defense horsesheet of his predecessor.....Buddy Ryan.  

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

Like too many Jets' HCs, it was the Peter Principle; he was a decent coordinator but had no business being a HC. As to his deys, dems and dos, met some bent noses who talked like that, especially some old time bookies, who were way sharper than their speech pattern might lead you to believe. Would probably have a better evening in the company of Kotite than Noam Chomsky anyway. And to his credit understood when the axe came it was time to go, he got. He has done some radio work for the Eagles, but never coached again. And part of the reason he failed in Philly was a team split offense vs. defense because of the My Defense horsesheet of his predecessor.....Buddy Ryan.  

True fact, Rich Kotite won more playoff games than Buddy Ryan

On 2/3/2017 at 1:47 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Yes. He performed the maneuver on sixteen different chokers and succeeded once.

On February 3, 2017 at 1:47 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Belichick would have let Hess die.

Archived