Report: Jets management doesn't expect to be good for a couple years

King P

Don’t kill the messenger, but top brass of the New York Jets privately admitted today they don’t expect to put a winning product on the field for at least two years.

And while this may be obvious to most, it is a startling admission from a team struggling to fill its new stadium with fans.

The current situation has little to do with general manager Mike Maccagnan.

For years former general manager Mike Tannenbaum traded away early draft capital and multiple picks at a time for aged veterans such as receivers Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. Tannenbaum did much the same in order to move up in the draft and select quarterback Mark Sanchez as well as running back Shonn Greene.

The plan almost worked, as the team assembled by Tannenbaum and coached by Rex Ryan went to successive AFC title games.

The Tannenbaum era was followed by two disastrous drafts from his replacement John Idzik Jr. in which little was gained, despite a year when the franchise had multiple first-round picks followed by a draft which featured 12 selections.

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-report-32-free-agency-rumors-more

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a blurb about a month ago on a scroll so I missed the source and was surprised nobody here caught it either, but it was an insider-type, saying Woody knew Mac and Bowles were in year two a what they called a "four year plan" or "rebuild".  I forget the exact terminology, but it seemed to add up with bowles not being fired and Woody saying there is no playoff mandate.

6 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Lmfao.  I am sure Macc or woody told this to this clown.  

Total bs

Tony Pauline definitely has connections on the team. He's called plenty of moves the Jets were gonna do before they did it. He reported Tannenbaum was getting fired in the middle of the season. And that the Jets would draft a QB last year in the 1st 2 rounds.

Not saying that he's definitely right, but he's definitely plugged in, so I wouldn't just brush him off

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

She doth protest too much!

I guess I was subconsciously waiting for Dbuttman to grace the thread with a gloomy 1 sentence post about the tragic state of affairs that is the Jet hierarchy.

I corructed the typo.

I agree. I would rather they just publicly state it and be clear what they are doing. Not only to be honest to the fans, but more importantly to prevent the half a** measures. They've started to trim a lot of the fat and still have a ways to go, but I'd like to know what to expect heading into FA rather than feel this uneasiness.

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I just hope we don't half ass this tank job.

I want to go all in.  I don't want anyone over the age of 23 taking a single snap.

I don't want the #2 pick next year.  I want the #1 pick.  

Trust the process.

What could you possibly point to that suggests we're undertaking a "tank job"?

2 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I agree. I would rather they just publicly state it and be clear what they are doing. Not only to be honest to the fans, but more importantly to prevent the half a** measures. They've started to trim a lot of the fat and still have a ways to go, but I'd like to know what to expect heading into FA rather than feel this uneasiness.

I imagine they didn't include this type of language with their PSL invoices.

This team won't be competitive until 2019 at the earliest.  They won't be "good" until 2020 in a best case scenario.

Like I've been saying all along.  Blow it up just as the the Browns did. 4 year rebuild.

I AM FULLY ON BOARD TO BE AWFUL.  And I would much rather watch a terrible team give effort than that drek we saw last year.

48 minutes ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline definitely has connections on the team. He's called plenty of moves the Jets were gonna do before they did it. He reported Tannenbaum was getting fired in the middle of the season. And that the Jets would draft a QB last year in the 1st 2 rounds.

Not saying that he's definitely right, but he's definitely plugged in, so I wouldn't just brush him off

Who gives a f*ck about Tony Pauline?  This is exactly what the Jets should be thinking.  I have been saying this since the 3rd quarter of the Chiefs debacle.

Archived