Pat Mahomes "News"

KRL

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Looks like the Jets did a private workout for Mahomes. They did it the morning after his pro day, probably to keep it under wraps. I think they're going after him.

"The Jets already have two young quarterbacks on their roster, but they may be planning to add a third in this month’s draft.

Former Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes worked out for the Jets this morning, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Mahomes has had a busy schedule this offseason. At his Pro Day on Friday, he worked out for 28 teams, showing off a strong arm with a 78-yard heave. He has also had private workouts with the Bengals, Chargers, Cardinals, Saints and Browns.

The Jets are expected to start veteran Josh McCown, at least at the beginning of the 2017 season, but they’re also developing 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg and 2015 fourth-round pick Bryce Petty. Last year they kept four quarterbacks on the 53-player roster, and it’s possible they will again this year if they draft a quarterback this month."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/02/jets-work-out-patrick-mahomes/

They've had or having private workouts w/all the top rated QBs.  Kizer, Trubs, Watson, Webb. Yet to read anything about Peterman. We never heard about Hacks private w/o last yr until after the draft. All parties, Hack, his agent, etc. were sworn to secrecy. Not much secrecy this yr so who knows. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/1/2017 at 3:25 PM, jack48 said:

I have seen Watson and Mahomes play once.  Mahomes can physically throw it.  But so could Geno.  And both played in wacky systems.  I just have no idea.

You and everyone else on this board and in the media, your just the only one to admit it. 

Tell me one skill that Mahomes possesses that Bryce Petty didn't when he came out two years ago.  And then I will point out that Petty's mechanics were ahead of Mahomes and we have still seen the struggle of a gun slinger air raid QB into the pros. Hopefully we have learned and don't waste a pick on another extreme project.

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

They've had or having private workouts w/all the top rated QBs.  Kizer, Trubs, Watson, Webb. Yet to read anything about Peterman. We never heard about Hacks private w/o last yr until after the draft. All parties, Hack, his agent, etc. were sworn to secrecy. Not much secrecy this yr so who knows. 

True, but Tony Pauline didn't put out any article saying that the Jets had strong interest in any of them. He did however say something similiar last year about Hackenberg.

14 hours ago, Stark said:

Want zero, no part of Trubiscky. Watch him and all I get is, meh. Does nothing for me..... let Mitchel save Cleveland, lol

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion.  If you've taken time to watch some film i can respect that.  What i see with what i've watched of Trubiski is the ability to sidestep in the pocket to avoid the rush while keeping his eyes down the field.  That part of his game looks natural to me and after seeing QBs' on the Jets for so long that hold on to the ball, take sacks and fumble because they had no idea the rusher was coming, pocket awareness is a refreshing skill to watch and something all great QBs have.  

11 hours ago, Stonehands said:

Tell me one skill that Mahomes possesses that Bryce Petty didn't when he came out two years ago.  And then I will point out that Petty's mechanics were ahead of Mahomes and we have still seen the struggle of a gun slinger air raid QB into the pros. Hopefully we have learned and don't waste a pick on another extreme project.

Couple differences here, and I admittedly hadnt read a single word or watched his cutups on draftbreakdown until I read the Pauline comment yesterday, but there is a lot to like about mahomes.

Petty was not a very accurate QB.  He completed 63% in his last season, which in that system is not great at all.  RGIII for comparison was at 72% his last year in that system.

Secondly, and this is just my opinion, but Petty needed to work on his mechanics in order to get more accurate.  WIth Mahomes, I wouldnt mess with his mechanics all that much, he isnt the type of player that will be routinely working a 3 step drop, and moving the chains.  That isnt his game, and trying to change him into that player isnt a good idea.

Lastly, Petty did rely on the one-read, spread attache, whereas Mahomes improvises so much that you see his ability to move through his progressions, which is something petty never did.

Personally, Mahomes reminds me a bit of russel wilson, in that he seems to have a tremendous feel for the pocket/game and is able to evade rush while keeping focused downfield.  WIlson did come from a pro-system, but the reason he is so successful is his ability to stay focused on the play down the field while avoiding the rush and making a play.  

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Couple differences here, and I admittedly hadnt read a single word or watched his cutups on draftbreakdown until I read the Pauline comment yesterday, but there is a lot to like about mahomes.

Petty was not a very accurate QB.  He completed 63% in his last season, which in that system is not great at all.  RGIII for comparison was at 72% his last year in that system.

Secondly, and this is just my opinion, but Petty needed to work on his mechanics in order to get more accurate.  WIth Mahomes, I wouldnt mess with his mechanics all that much, he isnt the type of player that will be routinely working a 3 step drop, and moving the chains.  That isnt his game, and trying to change him into that player isnt a good idea.

Lastly, Petty did rely on the one-read, spread attache, whereas Mahomes improvises so much that you see his ability to move through his progressions, which is something petty never did.

Personally, Mahomes reminds me a bit of russel wilson, in that he seems to have a tremendous feel for the pocket/game and is able to evade rush while keeping focused downfield.  WIlson did come from a pro-system, but the reason he is so successful is his ability to stay focused on the play down the field while avoiding the rush and making a play.  

I hear that comparison in terms of style, but comparing a 6'4" guy to a 5'11" guy just seems like a stretch to me, but if we could end up with a 6'4" Russell Wilson clone, then yeah, sign me up!  The Favre comparison intrigues me a bit more.   Big arm, good improv, probably needs to learn to stay in the pocket more.

But there are plenty who see him as a major work-in-progress and compare him more to Kaepernick or Tyrod Taylor.  Probably would have to take him in round 2 to get him but how many 'project' QBs can we afford to have on the roster?  Intriguing but I think I'd rather grab productive players and wait for next year. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I hear that comparison in terms of style, but comparing a 6'4" guy to a 5'11" guy just seems like a stretch to me, but if we could end up with a 6'4" Russell Wilson clone, then yeah, sign me up!  The Favre comparison intrigues me a bit more.   Big arm, good improv, probably needs to learn to stay in the pocket more.

But there are plenty who see him as a major work-in-progress and compare him more to Kaepernick or Tyrod Taylor.  Probably would have to take him in round 2 to get him but how many 'project' QBs can we afford to have on the roster?  Intriguing but I think I'd rather grab productive players and wait for next year. 

How many guys who are exactly like Brett Favre was coming out of Southern Miss do you think would make it in the NFL with today's rules about practice and coach/ player availability  ? 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

How many guys who are exactly like Brett Favre was coming out of Southern Miss do you think would make it in the NFL with today's rules about practice and coach/ player availability  ? 

There is no way to know. You can assume not many, but if the player does what Favre did and frustrating Holmgren because he went off script only to have the play workout, then a good coach will learn to taylor the play calling and take the bad with the good.  Then hope the good ends up showing up during games more than the bad.

And to be fair, I don't think that it is likely with less time around coaches that players that need the developmental time get a fair chance to learn and grow. So I think I am agreeing with you, possibly?...?

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Boy, you are really reaching with that over a couple of percentage points in completion percentage.  Mahomes was at 65.7% and 63.5% his last two years while Petty was at 62% and 63.1%.  If you want to read into stats, Petty was throwing downfield a little more with a higher yards per completion.  I see it as a wash.  Mahomes was also much more accurate throwing it to the opposing teams, DB's too.  His interception percentage is a little alarming given that the air raid offense is about high volume low risk throws. They are both guys that have a lot of physical gifts, but with one guy we have already seen the long road from Air Raid style QB to the NFL.  No thanks. You compare him to Russell Wilson in your post and outside of his race and arm strength, I am not seeing it.  Wilson played in two pro style offenses and came into the league leaps and bounds ahead of Mahomes in being able to think the NFL game.  Plus, Wilson was a mid round pick.  Mahomes is probably gone before that to some GM that will end up losing his job as a result of that pick.

21 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

Boy, you are really reaching with that over a couple of percentage points in completion percentage.  Mahomes was at 65.7% and 63.5% his last two years while Petty was at 62% and 63.1%.  If you want to read into stats, Petty was throwing downfield a little more with a higher yards per completion.  I see it as a wash.  Mahomes was also much more accurate throwing it to the opposing teams, DB's too.  His interception percentage is a little alarming given that the air raid offense is about high volume low risk throws. They are both guys that have a lot of physical gifts, but with one guy we have already seen the long road from Air Raid style QB to the NFL.  No thanks. You compare him to Russell Wilson in your post and outside of his race and arm strength, I am not seeing it.  Wilson played in two pro style offenses and came into the league leaps and bounds ahead of Mahomes in being able to think the NFL game.  Plus, Wilson was a mid round pick.  Mahomes is probably gone before that to some GM that will end up losing his job as a result of that pick.

I think you are reading way to much into the system and not simply looking at how Mahomes operates once the ball is snapped.  Sure, the Air Raid simplifies the primary read, but do you not see how Mahomes is able to keep plays alive, and instead of running, find an open WR?  That is why I made the Wilson comparison, because they both seem to be able to extend plays, not by running, but by avoiding the rush, finding a throwing lane and completing a pass to someone who was not their primary read.

Also, with respect to not working under center, yes it would be beneficial if these guys did it more often, but you are talking about the best athletes in the world - did Marcus Mariota struggle with 3/5 step drops as a rookie?  How was his second season?  

Im not a huge mahomes guy, and as I said, only read up on him once I saw that cryptic blurb from Pauline, but I think pigeonholing him as another Geno/Petty because of the offense that Texas Tech ran, doesnt give him enough credit for the things he does well.  Geno played in this offense, have you ever once seen him avoid the rush and keep a play alive?  Hes got absolutely zero feel for the pocket which is why he struggles in the NFL.  I dont see Mahomes as a similar player, but thats just me.

30 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

Mahomes may have played in an air-raid system, but he's not the typical air-raid QB that you're trying to portray him as. He's not a one read QB. He can go through progressions (unlike Petty), and he also doesn't always go by a script the way air-raid QBs (including Petty) do.

This kid's playing style is part Brett Favre, part Fran Tarkenton. He's an improviser who trusts his arm to make throws most people can't. Sometimes it gets him in trouble. Other times it makes your jaw hit the floor. But even while on the run his eyes are always looking downfield. 

He is just fun to watch.

According to Daniel Jeremiah via Move the Sticks, Mahomes has been getting a lot of buzz lately and has secured a spot in the 1st round.  Whether this is just media talk or you don't think Jeremiah is a valid source, he has been getting a lot of buzz lately.  Bucky Brooks stated that scouts have been making the comparison to Matthew Stafford, Jay Cutler and Brett Favre.  Also, stated Mahomes would need an "old school" coach that constantly reminds him of proper footwork, mechanics, etc.  Brooks said Mike (which I believe he was referring to Holmgren) would constantly be correcting Favre.  

17 hours ago, Stonehands said:

So here is the skinny on Mahomes v Petty. It's not even close actually. Let me first start by saying the "air raid" offenses are ALL different. I'm not going to bore you with the details however Petty NEVER had to identify coverage or identify a middle linebacker because of the system. 95% of the time Petty was looking for or going to 1 guy from snap! And this is why he's buried in the depth chart, likely will never get out. He can't identify defenses. It's cerebral! 

During Mahomes Soph-Jr seasons he called every play from the line of scrimmage and it was mandatory to be able to read and identify defenses/MLB. Techs OL sucked more than I care to admit which kept Mahomes on the run. a lot! Every QB entering the NFL is a project in some fashion, some more than others. He has work to do but rest assure wherever he ends up he will win and be a 15 year plus guy..

The scenario of trading Wilkerson for a first round pick has been tossed around w Mahomes name attached to it! 

15 minutes ago, RJIII said:

So here is the skinny on Mahomes v Petty. It's not even close actually. Let me first start by saying the "air raid" offenses are ALL different. I'm not going to bore you with the details however Petty NEVER had to identify coverage or identify a middle linebacker because of the system. 95% of the time Petty was looking for or going to 1 guy from snap! And this is why he's buried in the depth chart, likely will never get out. He can't identify defenses. It's cerebral! 

During Mahomes Soph-Jr seasons he called every play from the line of scrimmage and it was mandatory to be able to read and identify defenses/MLB. Techs OL sucked more than I care to admit which kept Mahomes on the run. a lot! Every QB entering the NFL is a project in some fashion, some more than others. He has work to do but rest assure wherever he ends up he will win and be a 15 year plus guy..

The scenario of trading Wilkerson for a first round pick has been tossed around w Mahomes name attached to it! 

Wilkerson for a first round pick is being tossed around with Mahomes attached to it? Where on earth did you hear this rumor? Wtf???

Wilkerson is going to toss Mahomes's salad for a 1st round pick?

In all seriousness, he threw a pass over 80 yds at his pro day.  That might be the QB-equivalent of jumping out of the pool.  He's the pick at 6.  I'm convinced.

26 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Wilkerson is going to toss Mahomes's salad for a 1st round pick?

In all seriousness, he threw a pass over 80 yds at his pro day.  That might be the QB-equivalent of jumping out of the pool.  He's the pick at 6.  I'm convinced.

The guy who jumped out of the pool was a massive bust 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:51 AM, varjet said:

It would be absolutely brilliant for a good team like the Giants to take a talented but developmental QB in the late first round.  They should not need their first round pick for holes.

A bad team like the Jets needs to use their higher pick to reach for a QB if they want one.  

You can be really bad, luck out and use your premium pick for a QB.   The Giants traded high value picks to get Eli Manning and rode that train for 15+ years.   So for the Jets to reach for a QB they believe in is a cost of doing business.  Arcorsi believed in Manning.   Macc needs to believe in someone.  

Nothing wrong with picking a developmental QB at 6 and goIng with current QBs in 2017.  Others can be traded or comp picked.   

This may be a long shot, but I don't think there are any Eli Mannings in this draft who is a once in a decade QB and double superbowl winner. 

17 hours ago, RJIII said:

Solid information.

My biggest issue with Mahomes is that he leaves the pocket way too quickly, often when he doesnt need to.  Yes, he keeps the "pass" alive and doesnt drop his eye, but he still needs to be able to make throws from the pocket, before taking off.

Solid information.
My biggest issue with Mahomes is that he leaves the pocket way too quickly, often when he doesnt need to.  Yes, he keeps the "pass" alive and doesnt drop his eye, but he still needs to be able to make throws from the pocket, before taking off.

I don't disagree with your comments and I believe in the NFL he will calm down and trust his lineman. He did leave the pocket quick at times and that was due to heavy, heavy, pressure.. he anticipated it and maybe times he was a bit quick in making that decision. In his defense (no pun intended) he was running for his life, our OL was less than average. Where ever he ends up, keep your eye on him. He will entertain you no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I can't wait for the draft to be over so that I never have to read threads about this guy and the Jets. Good lord. 

Lol, trust me if the Jets are not the team to draft him somewhere down the road depending where he goes (if he sits behind a starter year 1, or gets thrust into action because starter got injured alla Prescott, or he flat out wins the job maybe in Houston), there will be tons of threads about the Jets, and Mahomes, and how the **** did the Jets let him get away (hopefully the Jets get Darnold next year so this all becomes a moot point, and the threads are only 1 year long, or don't exist because both Darnold, and Mahomes are killing it).

Whoever gets this kid will be set for 10-15 years, and he will be one of the most exciting QB's in the league with his style of play (like watching Rodgers, and Big Ben are fun, and exciting to watch, this kid will be just as exciting as those 2 to watch).

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Lol, trust me if the Jets are not the team to draft him somewhere down the road depending where he goes (if he sits behind a starter year 1, or gets thrust into action because starter got injured alla Prescott, or he flat out wins the job maybe in Houston), there will be tons of threads about the Jets, and Mahomes, and how the **** did the Jets let him get away (hopefully the Jets get Darnold next year so this all becomes a moot point, and the threads are only 1 year long, or don't exist because both Darnold, and Mahomes are killing it).

Whoever gets this kid will be set for 10-15 years, and he will be one of the most exciting QB's in the league with his style of play (like watching Rodgers, and Big Ben are fun, and exciting to watch, this kid will be just as exciting as those 2 to watch).

If the scouts and Mac thing for a minute that Mahomes is going to be a 10-15 year starter they have to take him and accept that he will have a year or 2 of struggles on the field. Go the Seahawks route like they did with Wilson, run the ball a lot and don't put everything on the QB. 

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

If the scouts and Mac thing for a minute that Mahomes is going to be a 10-15 year starter they have to take him and accept that he will have a year or 2 of struggles on the field. Go the Seahawks route like they did with Wilson, run the ball a lot and don't put everything on the QB. 

I think as far as throwing the football Mahomes is ahead of where Wilson was his rookie year just based on arm talent, the question is where is Mahomes going to be mentally week 1 I.E. knowing the system, able to run a huddle, call a play, and lead men, and dissect a D enough to not be atrocious.  I believe he will be able to do everything above by year 2, but I also think he will be able to enough of the above things to play year 1, and like you said keep him protected early in the year while he gets better, and better during the year slowly opening up the plays to the point where you can let him rip it by the end of year 1.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think as far as throwing the football Mahomes is ahead of where Wilson was his rookie year just based on arm talent, the question is where is Mahomes going to be mentally week 1 I.E. knowing the system, able to run a huddle, call a play, and lead men, and dissect a D enough to not be atrocious.  I believe he will be able to do everything above by year 2, but I also think he will be able to enough of the above things to play year 1, and like you said keep him protected early in the year while he gets better, and better during the year slowly opening up the plays to the point where you can let him rip it by the end of year 1.

I've been reading up on and watching more Mahomes lately. We know his physical ability is off the charts rare. We know his weakness now is footwork, risky style of play.

But what I think isn't talked about enough about him is that he seems like he's a true leader that playerw can rally around. He not only never seems scared of the moment, but he seems to thrive and determined to make plays, a true winner.

Its a shame we dont have someone he cant sit behind for a year.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:32 AM, T0mShane said:

Later in the article, he says that the Jets only had their national scout on hand for the workout, which would lead one to believe they're not all that interested. 

smokescreen ;)

21 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I've been reading up on and watching more Mahomes lately. We know his physical ability is off the charts rare. We know his weakness now is footwork, risky style of play.

But what I think isn't talked about enough about him is that he seems like he's a true leader that playerw can rally around. He not only never seems scared of the moment, but he seems to thrive and determined to make plays, a true winner.

Its a shame we dont have someone he cant sit behind for a year.

To me it's blatantly obvious that he will be more then fine leading an NFL offense, and locker room, he grew up inside MLB clubhouses, and knows what it takes to thrive inside a professional locker room, nothing will be to big for this kid, not NY, not starting QB1 in the NFL, and not success, he will embrace it.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:32 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Jets only sending their national scout to pro day could be a smoke screen, as they try and and set up a private visit with everyone on hand and keep it quiet, ala Hackenberg last year.

Yeah cuz other front offices are trying to figure out our head fakes here.

Archived