This is the scenario on draft night...

JetFanatic

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

In that scenario I would take  Adams, unless Mac's alleged man crush on Mitchell is true than he is the pick the Jets would make. I don't trust one year starters especially that high.  I would hope some team would want to move up for Adams or another player (definitely not getting my hopes up for that). I still think teams in the top of the draft will take a QB high. Watson' 49 mph speedball is definitely concerning, I like Watson but that is as scary stat.

By all reports Watson is a very nice kid and is going to interview well.  It's possible some GM will fall in love with him and take him top 5, I just hope it isn't the Jets at 6.  Is it possible he over comes his extremely weak arm and becomes a player in the NFL?  Yeah.

I just don't want to gamble #6 on a very long shot when there will be players there that can help make the Jets a better team.

If he were there in the 2nd, I'd probably take him.  No way at 6

You run and grab OJ Howard and give your young qb's a fighting chance to perform. A elite TE is the best security blanket for any young qb and would immediately help this offense tremendously. Add in we don't have diddly squat in TE position and it seems criminal if we pass on him.

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

By all reports Watson is a very nice kid and is going to interview well.  It's possible some GM will fall in love with him and take him top 5, I just hope it isn't the Jets at 6.  Is it possible he over comes his extremely weak arm and becomes a player in the NFL?  Yeah.

I just don't want to gamble #6 on a very long shot when there will be players there that can help make the Jets a better team.

If he were there in the 2nd, I'd probably take him.  No way at 6

I am not saying take Watson at 6 or at all, but this "extremely weak arm" has come to the ridiculous stage. 

This IS NOT how the top 5 picks will play out. IMHO. Which changes everything other than the Jets wanting to trade down.  

CLE: Garrett

SF: S.Thomas

CHI: Allen

Jax: Fournette

Tenn: Adams

*Jets: Hooker, OJ Howard or trade down

This leaves Hooker and Lattimore, both of whom have injury concerns. So it will depends on how worried the Jets are about that.

It leaves their pick of QB. Which depends on how highly they rate any of the QBs on the board and what their faith is in Hack.

It leaves D.Barnett as the #2 pass rusher. Depends on how highly they value him in relation to other pass rushers in this draft. I'm really not sure.

It leaves their choice of WR. Not sure if they value a WR so high in the draft. I don't. And Williams is not even #1 for me, its C.Davis. 

It leaves OJ Howard, who seems to be gaining more traction as not only the top TE prospect but the top pass catching prospect.

I don't see anyone else in play.

*Personally, I think the Jets will do everything they can to move down, maybe with a team in need of a QB- I'm talking about CLE here.

If they are not able to move down, it will come down to how the Jets feel about the injuries of Hooker and Lattimore. If they don't feel confident that they can pull the trigger on either player b/c of injury concerns, I predict they will take OJ Howard. If injuries are of little to no concern for them, I think they will take Hooker.   

15 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

That's what I'm afraid of.  Other teams realizing how many talented players there are in this draft.  Who would want to give up picks???  Hopefully someone wanting a QB bad enough.

I think we fit that description.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

This IS NOT how the top 5 picks will play out. IMHO. Which changes everything other than the Jets wanting to trade down.  

CLE: Garrett

SF: S.Thomas

CHI: Allen

Jax: Fournette

Tenn: Adams

*Jets: Hooker, OJ Howard or trade down

This leaves Hooker and Lattimore, both of whom have injury concerns. So it will depends on how worried the Jets are about that.

It leaves their pick of QB. Which depends on how highly they rate any of the QBs on the board and what their faith is in Hack.

It leaves D.Barnett as the #2 pass rusher. Depends on how highly they value him in relation to other pass rushers in this draft. I'm really not sure.

It leaves their choice of WR. Not sure if they value a WR so high in the draft. I don't. And Williams is not even #1 for me, its C.Davis. 

It leaves OJ Howard, who seems to be gaining more traction as not only the top TE prospect but the top pass catching prospect.

I don't see anyone else in play.

*Personally, I think the Jets will do everything they can to move down, maybe with a team in need of a QB- I'm talking about CLE here.

If they are not able to move down, it will come down to how the Jets feel about the injuries of Hooker and Lattimore. If they don't feel confident that they can pull the trigger on either player b/c of injury concerns, I predict they will take OJ Howard. If injuries are of little to no concern for them, I think they will take Hooker.   

I am not a sports medicine expert here, but it seems like Lattimore's injuries are more chronic/problematic than Hooker's.

Jamal Adams. He's going to be a 10 year stud, multiple pro bowls and all pros. He'll be a fierce leader for this defense for a generation.

OJ Howard scares me. Freak athletes who don't contribute consistently? Seems like the exact kind of player the Jets would squander and never develop.

4 hours ago, Stark said:

I am not saying take Watson at 6 or at all, but this "extremely weak arm" has come to the ridiculous stage. 

Um.....being one of the only QB's coming into the draft to throw UNDER 50 MPH, and that no QB in the NFL has ever succeeded throwing as such is not, in my opinion, anywhere near the ridiculous stage.

Personal preference : Howard, with Adams a close second.

Adams may be better value overall, but I'm thinking we need an offensive play maker / identity more than a defensive one. So it's more based on "best fit" rather than "best player".

18 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Um.....being one of the only QB's coming into the draft to throw UNDER 50 MPH, and that no QB in the NFL has ever succeeded throwing as such is not, in my opinion, anywhere near the ridiculous stage.

Call it weak then, but extremely weak is what i am referring to as ridiculous. you would think that this guy is throwing like Payton Manning in the last Super Bowl where the ball takes 5 seconds to go 15 years down field looking like a wounded duck. That is my point.

His arm strength doesn't seem to be a major concern by any reports about him from any scouts. Adequate arm strength. 

Also those combine readings seen to be inconsistent as they only registered a small amount of QB's that threw at the combine. Why not all Qb's? Maybe the list that was shown was just not updated. To this point Watson also looked to be one of the better Qb's throwing at the combine, so what... you have a canon for an arm Kizer, but you look like ass-meanwhile Watson was just completing passes and not looking like ass.

To reiterate my point. I am not saying take Watson at 6 or at all, but this "extremely weak arm" has come to the ridiculous stage. 

Scouting reports on arm :

1. The ball comes out quickly and his motion is compact and loose. Does a very good job of using his body. Natural release point is a little low, but very consistent and with little-to-no wasted motion. Arm strength allows him to attack with depth from sideline-to-sideline. Throws with zip and softness at the same time and can change ball speeds when necessary.

2.Strengths: 

• Winner; Champion 
  • Excellent character 
  • Strong leadership skills 
  • Work ethic 
  • Mobility 
  • Strong arm 
  • Quick release 
  • Flashes ability to make some beautiful throws 
  • Tough; takes big hits 
  • Can make all the throws required 
  • Throws a catchable ball 
  • Can pick up yards on the ground 
  • Has some pocket presence 
  • Great teammate 
  • Very experienced against good competition 
  • Gritty player 
  • Difficult to sack 
  • Upside 
  • Resilient 
  • Confident

3. Positives

• Athleticism: Watson’s athletic ability is off the charts. His ability to extend plays with his feet is a big attribute if he does it safely at the next level.
  • Intangibles: Watson’s ability to create plays, win games and make the impossible happen has been incredible. This is something that is very hard to measure but it’s apparent in his play.
  • Pocket Awareness: His awareness and internal clock are already at a pro level. What he must do is learn to stand in the pocket to make throws, instead of using his legs to take off downfield. 
  • NFL Responsibilities: On film, his ability and willingness to make calls at the line of scrimmage and take control of each play stood out, which demonstrates good football intelligence.
  • Leadership: Not only is Watson wise beyond his years on a football level, he’s also been lauded as a great leader and it shows on the field. 
  • Accuracy On the Run: This is something that works in his advantage, especially with his mobile ability and overall athleticism. 
  • Arm Strength: His arm isn’t anything special but he has enough to make any throw downfield or across the field. Improved footwork could add some zip on his throws.

4. What he does best: 

• Smooth, efficient delivery.
  • Throws a very catchable ball.
  • Displays a complete inventory of passes with zip, firm with touch. Changes the pace of the ball well when needed.
  • Extremely athletic with the ability to escape when things break down. Good initial burst.
  • True timing/rhythm passer, heavily reliant on pre-snap reads.
  • Throws cover-3 and cover-2 seams very well.
  • Best “glance” route thrower in the class.
  • Anticipates well on timing routes outside the numbers.
  • Flashes good go-ball touch. Good feel for back-shoulder throws to big-bodied receivers.
  • Delivers in big moments. Confident player.

That's a big list which leaves a big question mark. In the last 10 years the Jets went Defense 9 of 10 times in the 1st round. In 2009 Mark Sanchez was the only Offensive pick. Will they follow the pattern? Unknown. The ability to put the ball in the end zone has been a stigmatism for this team for a long time. You need to score points to win games. Duh! I would like to see them go offense this year but not another QB project. We already have 2 projects which I believe at least one will pan out, but not without ample successes and failures. The young QB'S will need support so maybe a TE, Howard, or a RB but a RB in the 1st round is perhaps not so good an idea. The Jets will need to establish the run game this year and having dual TE sets giving big targets to open the game up for some down field passes is a good Offensive strategy. At least we will have QB's that can throw the ball over 25 yds this year and can lead receivers instead having them come back and fight for a reception.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

That's a big list which leaves a big question mark. In the last 10 years the Jets went Defense 9 of 10 times in the 1st round. In 2009 Mark Sanchez was the only Offensive pick. Will they follow the pattern? Unknown. The ability to put the ball in the end zone has been a stigmatism for this team for a long time. You need to score points to win games. Duh! I would like to see them go offense this year but not another QB project. We already have 2 projects which I believe at least one will pan out, but not without ample successes and failures. The young QB'S will need support so maybe a TE, Howard, or a RB but a RB in the 1st round is perhaps not so good an idea. The Jets will need to establish the run game this year and having dual TE sets giving big targets to open the game up for some down field passes is a good Offensive strategy. At least we will have QB's that can throw the ball over 25 yds this year and can lead receivers instead having them come back and fight for a reception.

Should have made it 10/10.:D

I'll go another round on this topic. Many are saying draft a QB. I am guessing and I could be wrong that by going with McCown, which I'm not in favor of by the way, the Jets are making a statement to go with Petty and Hack this year. Do the Jets want 4 QB's on the roster again this year? They took up a position on the roster with Hack last year that never saw the light of day. Would they red shirt another QB this year? Is the 2017 draft pool filled with such outstanding QB talent that they want to use a 1st round pick on a QB? I would say no to both. We saw last year how difficult it was to get quality reps for 3 QBs last year, let alone 4. I just don't see them going #6 with a QB and carry 4 again this year. The other option would be to cut Petty or Hack and keep the DP. That doesn't make sense either. Hack has never taken a snap in a game and Petty only saw limited game time. Not enough to know if they're good enough to be a starters. Petty showed some good play and some jitters. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even draft a QB at all this year. There's enough gaps on Offense and Defense that need shoring up. Jets need an O-Line that can establish a run game and protect the QB. They need secondary help as well. 

On 4/6/2017 at 3:04 PM, SenorGato said:

The Jets are allowed to pick three players at 6:

Watson

Garrett

Thomas

Thomas it is...and **** the 49ers. Anyone outside of those three at 6 should result in instant termination for the GM and coach. 

I think thomas is a lock top 5

10 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Watson should be considered with the Jets second round pick, if he's available. Way too risky to take with the 6th pick, he has a low probability of being a true franchise QB

I doubt he makes it past SF, chicago & cleveland. I'd burn a late round pick on jim kelly's nephew if that's the case 

25 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I doubt he makes it past SF, chicago & cleveland. I'd burn a late round pick on jim kelly's nephew if that's the case 

Why burn ANY picks on QB this year? It's a bad class and they will get taken higher than they deserve.

Would anyone be really that shocked if this class compares to the EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib class of '13?

13 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Why burn ANY picks on QB this year? It's a bad class and they will get taken higher than they deserve.

Would anyone be really that shocked if this class compares to the EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib class of '13?

No but if you find a prescott or wilson in the later rounds it's gold

Who the flip cares what side of the ball the Jets pick at 6.  They need one of 2 things:

1)  A great player

2)  A functional QB.

Yes, they picked defense 9/10 times in the first round.  We had some good teams in those years, driven by a good defense for  NE team.

Understanding that I am giving Macc and his team at this point a pass, at Year 3 of this Regime this team has more holes in its roster than one can even count.   They need great players.  OJ Howard is likely to be a great player.  Malik Hooker.  Fournette.  Adams.

Trubisky will be a functional QB.  

Just pick one.

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Adams or Howard at 6. If not trade down, It's that simple

Those two are firming up as my top two picks at 6.

QB's in this class at 6 (no thanks). I like Leonard Fournette, but it looks like he will be off the board by 6. 

1) OJ Howard.

1A) Jamal Adams.

No Projects, Play makers!

What happens to a players draft status after the college season is over is always fascinating to me . Take for example the status of DE/OLB Solomon Thomas. Before Stanford's game against North Carolina he was carrying a mid to late 1st round grade and considered as a 43 DE who could be move inside to defensive tackle in passing situations to create havoc in a Justin Tuck type role . It was the role he had played his entire college career and excelled just like Demarcus Walker did for the Seminoles . Then the North Carolina game happened, and the combine followed where he shined in shorts and all of a sudden, he's considered the 2nd best prospect in the draft and an edge rusher capable of playing OLB in the 34. Can you imagine Solomon Thomas trying to stop his teammate McCaffrey on Swing pass out of the backfield . There's a difference between Solomon Thomas and Charles Harris even thou both are considered edge rushers, and trying to make Thomas do what Harris does or Vice Versa is a big reason why college football players excel at the college level and fail at the pro level. Solomon Thomas dominated the offensive line of North Carolina during that Bowl game playing the game exactly the way he did his entire college career. His size, strength and quickness made it difficult for the offensive linemen to handle him. I wonder if what he will have to do to try and play the OLb position will have any effect on his quality of play .

20 hours ago, MaxAF said:

They had only 3 picks in 2009 and all were Offense..The other 2 were Greene and Slauson RB and Guard..

Archived