Jamal Adams, a Safety, IS how you build a team - Leader of Men.

Gas2No99

Jets got the best DB, but more importantly, got THEIR IDENTITY with safety Jamal Adams.

Congrats @Maxman on getting the Shout Out and salute at the 18 second mark:

This young man WILL CREATE the locker culture and a New Era of Players and ATTITUDE on which the Jets foundation will be built upon:

Don't believe me? See for yourself - The KING OF DEATH VALLEY:

PS  - I eat crow on being DEAD WRONG that 3 QBs were NOT going to go in the first. I'm just glad it wasn't us that reached. Disappointed that Bills & Cleveland made the trades I wanted Mac to execute. Once Trubisky was gone, looks like Jets lost all leverage on a trade down, but made the CORRECT decision on drafting a footballSTUD, a Tone Setter, and Culture maker. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as long as he turns out to be a pro bowl player the pick is fine.  the jets secondary was horrible last year so it was a need.  he was the best defensive player available at 6 and there was no offensive player that was even close to grading out how he did

THIS! What people are discounting is that we are not just getting a future All-Pro Safety, Jamal Adams is the kind of leader and player that raises the levels of everybody around him. He doesn't just dramatically improve the Safety position, he changes the entire secondary and the defense... which by the way is our biggest weakness outside of QB.

He will be the face of this team and our team captain for as long as he's a Jet.

This intangible is HUGE because no matter how the media wanted to paint it we didn't have good leadership over
the past two years.  Just because we had players who answered their questions (Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Mangold,
Revis) the media made it seem like they were good leaders.  If that was the case certain things should've
been squashed before they blew up:

- Smith / Enemkapli incident

- Marshall / Richardson argument after the KC game

- Marshall / Richardson incident after the NE game

If Adams is the kind of "leader/culture changer" that all the reports seem to indicate, it's a big plus
with the young locker room we're going to have

1 minute ago, KRL said:

This intangible is HUGE because no matter how the media wanted to paint it we didn't have good leadership over
the past two years.  Just because we had players who answered their questions (Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Mangold,
Revis) the media made it seem like they were good leaders.  If that was the case certain things should've

If Adams is the kind of "leader/culture changer" that all the reports seem to indicate, it's a big plus

So go get a platoon of Eagle Scouts. You people are now looking at ANOTHER cock up and trying to sell yourselves on this pick. 

10 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

THIS! What people are discounting is that we are not just getting a future All-Pro Safety, Jamal Adams is the kind of leader and player that raises the levels of everybody around him. He doesn't just dramatically improve the Safety position, he changes the entire secondary and the defense... which by the way is our biggest weakness outside of QB.

He will be the face of this team and our team captain for as long as he's a Jet.

The entire offense is a toxic waste dump next to a nuclear reactor meltdown. But don't give it any way to fix things, let's score 6 points a game and talk about "leadership". 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

So go get a platoon of Eagle Scouts. You people are now looking at ANOTHER cock up and trying to sell yourselves on this pick. 

He is both the best player in the draft and a leader. There was nothing wrong with this pick.We didn't pass on more talented players to take Adams. 

However, if we pass on Cook, then I can see the complaints about being a bunch of boy scouts. 

I do think when you have a guy like him in the secondary and a guy like Leo on the line...that they can be the type of players that change the culture of that sh*t head poor attitude D that is currently is place.  As much sh*t as I give Lee, apparently he's a great leader too.  So you have to hope that these guys can change the attitude of the D.  

Now, if they can move Sheldon and get some draft capital for it...now they're really cooking with fire and truly working toward changing their identity. 

I am going to be happy when he bitch slaps Sheldon Richardson and mo wilk for loafing and not coming to meetings on time if at all.  It will also be great to see him grab Darron Lee by the neck and tell him to get his mom out of the locker room and to tell David Harris that he can no longer play  the game and to gtf out.

Second best of all the can grab skrine by the hair braid tufts and tell him to L2P and to Git gud.

Best of all he can tell Todd bowles and Kacy rogers that he is not really an ILB and would maybe be better playing as a safety,.

Good times ahead!

11 minutes ago, KRL said:

I think he'll lead more through vocals, hard work, and preparedness. I think he makes sure guys are keeping serious on the practice field, knowing their assignments, and shaming lack of effort. In game, and in practice. These guys are not going to want a rookie showing them up, and maybe they turn this thing around. We have all world talent throughout the D. This guy seems to be a natural leader of men, and universally respected. I especially hope he can get Pryor, and Lee on the right page. 

It doesn't hurt that he can play almost every position in the back 7. Probably not #1 CB, or Mike but anywhere else. 

I think the infighting will stop when everyone is doing their jobs, and having success. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The entire offense is a toxic waste dump next to a nuclear reactor meltdown. But don't give it any way to fix things, let's score 6 points a game and talk about "leadership". 

The entire offense goes nowhere unless we have a QB. None of the players available on offense (Corey Davis, McCaffery, Mike Williams) make the kind of impact that Jamal Adams does - it's not even close. You can't reach on a player just because we need some offensive help. This is a slam dunk pick.

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

Thankfully, Todd Bowles has found somebody to lead this team.

Will Todd Bowles let this guy lead the team?  If Bowles and Rogers coach like they did last year they will be wasting talent just as they did last year.  i lost any and all confidence in that duo last year.

How is this young D leader supposed to lead when he has a head coach saying its okay to be late or miss meetings because every one sleep in at times.  (or whatever he said.)

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

The entire offense goes nowhere unless we have a QB. None of the players available on offense (Corey Davis, McCaffery, Mike Williams) make the kind of impact that Jamal Adams does - it's not even close. You can't reach on a player just because we need some offensive help. This is a slam dunk pick.

Which is how you miss on David Carr, or Dax Prescott or Mahomes or Watson. Again. Over and over. Or Williams or McCaffrey. 

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The draft is deep at TE, and RB and there were no day one starting linemen. There was only one Adams. That's where the value was. I put a huge amount of weight into a player's drive to succeed. Haven't we learned that lesson? 

No one in recent history has had this kid's drive to succeed to go with instincts, ability, and vocal leadership. I'm tired of guys that lead by example, which really means they are not leaders but self motivators. 

If we don't pick up a TE today, and a RB that can catch today or tomorrow then I won't be very happy.  

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I do think when you have a guy like him in the secondary and a guy like Leo on the line...that they can be the type of players that change the culture of that sh*t head poor attitude D that is currently is place.  As much sh*t as I give Lee, apparently he's a great leader too.  So you have to hope that these guys can change the attitude of the D.  

Now, if they can move Sheldon and get some draft capital for it...now they're really cooking with fire and truly working toward changing their identity. 

Dont forget Jenkins....the sleeper breakout player

31 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

So basically you dont provide anything on offense until that QB is found? Whats the point of even putting anything on defense then if it's the offense that generates points but obviously it cant because we dont have a QB? So in otherwords we simply dont try and its okay to draft defense in the 1st round for 9 consecutive years knowing that nothing will come of it anywhere because we're not doing anything for offense? You basically give the offense the option of a 2nd round pick that the Jets have been notoriously poor at and a 3rd round pick which by that point is truly hit or miss. WTF is even the point then? 

Im highly convinced that Adams will pan out. Im also highly convinced that you provide pieces to your offense as well. I dont like the fact that suddenly picking an offensive player is considered a "reach" by some, but for the sake of argument lets say that he does end up being the safety version of what Big Cat is for us. We're still not scoring points because we have no QB but we're not attempting to provide pieces to help protect the QB from his limitations. Furthermore, how do you develop a QB without providing pieces on the offensive side of the ball? We've seen teams destroy QB's like that. Look at Derek Carr's brother, Look at Geno Smith's two years as a starter. On the flip side, look how productive the Jets were when they were providing value picks before and after drafting Sanchez. Sanchez wasnt good but he had enough talent (primarily a running game and a top 3 Oline) around him to get things going. Sure, we had a #1 and #10 defense but the Jets were controlling the ball and scoring points. Just because Adams may be a better Safety than Davis is a WR or McCaffery is a RB doesnt mean that those guys arent just as valuable in the grand scheme of things. 

This "Everything is the QB" is beyond ridiculous at this point. Im still waiting for Andrew Luck to win a superbowl by himself. These days he cant even get into the playoffs, win a division or even stay healthy because for years the Colts decided that "we have a QB so the offense works". 

For development purposes you are supposed to provide talent on both sides of the ball. No one dislikes the player picked, people dislike a decade long ritual of 1st round defensive picks only to have the worst defense in the league. 

24 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Which is how you miss on David Carr, or Dax Prescott or Mahomes or Watson. Again. Over and over. Or Williams or McCaffrey. 

Jets purposely passed on Derek Carr due to us having just taken Geno Smith. 

The entire league missed on Prescott, numerous times.

Mahomes and Watson are complete projects and what they will be is unknown. Mahomes will be the best in this class IMO but we don't know. What we do know is that he isn't good enough to come in and start immediately. He's a backup until further notice in KC, with the Jets he doesn't get that. Watson is not even a top 10 consideration.

Williams and McCaffrey are not serious considerations for us at 6.

The only way you can change the culture of a team and be a leader of the team is if you can walk the talk. He first needs to get his feet wet and show what he can do. Don't expect him to be the savior from day 1. Remember, Demario Davis was supposed to be that leader, but he couldn't walk the talk. I'd like to reserve my excitement. 

6. Jamal Adams, S, New York Jets

Analysis: "Jamal Adams is the safest pick in the draft. You pair him with Marcus Gilchrist and all of a sudden you have one of the best safety tandems in football. I would assume Mike Maccagnan thinks he can augment the corner position because it is so deep later on."

59 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Thankfully, Todd Bowles has found somebody to lead this team.

I agree.  Too many times I see projected salary as a reason to not pick a position with a top 5 or top 10 pick because they won't merit that high of a salary.  Hearing things like you have to pick a certain position high in the draft because they make more is crazy to me.  At the end of the day this is a game its competition.  Salary figures be damned.  We just drafted a kid who's going to change that locker room from Day 1 and will lead our defense.  For a team that's rebuilding you want to have as many kids like this on your team as possible.  

At the same time though some kids are too talented to pass up ala a Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon so I would still sparingly take a chance.

35 minutes ago, prime21 said:

6. Jamal Adams, S, New York Jets

Analysis: "Jamal Adams is the safest pick in the draft. You pair him with Marcus Gilchrist and all of a sudden you have one of the best safety tandems in football. I would assume Mike Maccagnan thinks he can augment the corner position because it is so deep later on."

He may be replacing Gilchrist.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am going to be happy when he bitch slaps Sheldon Richardson and mo wilk for loafing and not coming to meetings on time if at all.  It will also be great to see him grab Darron Lee by the neck and tell him to get his mom out of the locker room and to tell David Harris that he can no longer play  the game and to gtf out.

Second best of all the can grab skrine by the hair braid tufts and tell him to L2P and to Git gud.

Best of all he can tell Todd bowles and Kacy rogers that he is not really an ILB and would maybe be better playing as a safety,.

Good times ahead!

"tell David Harris he can no longer play and to gtfo."

David Harris has been a class-act, quality player and person.

You should gtfo.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I disagree.

A strong safety at best moves the needle on our Pass D by a rank or two. For us that's what, worst in NFL to third worst in NFL.

Offensive skill players, especially QB's move the needle far more. And they score points, which is what the modern NFL is all about.

Its funny, this pick was all about looking good to draft nicks and taking zero risks while continuing our seemingly aimless, All-Defense focused team concept. It was not at all about making the team better. Worse it shows that Macc can't admit the Hack pick was a poor one, so now we're seemingly doubling down on that spent cost despite no one in the larger NFL thinking Hack is legit.

Like so many ex coaches, Macc seems to GM not to lose cred. He doesn't GM to take risks and win beyond his to-date wild missteps at QB.

Archived