Per GGN Jets offer McCown $4mil more than any other team

32EBoozer

Report: Jets Offered Josh McCown $4 Million More Than Cowboys

by John B 

626150080.0.jpgPhoto by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Ian Rapoport says the Jets offered Josh McCown a lot more money than the competition to land him in free agency.

Ouch. It’s tough to fathom why a team would get into a drawn out salary battle for McCown to begin with. It sounds like there was never a bidding war to begin with, though. The Jets just seemed to value McCown far more than other team. Dallas was the primary competition, and offered him one-third of the $6 million the Jets did if this report is accurate. There was always an element of, “Why get into a bidding war over a player this bad,” and, “Who cares if you lose him?” Apparently there was no bidding war.

This is just one player, but it isn’t the only marginal free agent the Jets signed to a surprisingly high salary. It makes you wonder whether the Jets valued any of those other players far more than the rest of the league.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You have to pay a lot for someone's self respect. 

This is his swan song. His Opus. His coup de gras. His Grande Finale.

Josh McCown is an artist who's medium is crap. And he's about to paint his masterpiece.

????

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Basically he's going to be starting here while in Dallas a backup. So 6 mil total and only one year is a good deal. 

good deal for who? McCown and no one else. regardless of starter or backup besides the jets, his value was nowhere near 6m. if the jets wouldn't have panicked they could have gotten him for less or better yet not at all. if he wanted to be a backup in D then so be it. 

9 minutes ago, Marco said:

good deal for who? McCown and no one else. regardless of starter or backup besides the jets, his value was nowhere near 6m. if the jets wouldn't have panicked they could have gotten him for less or better yet not at all. if he wanted to be a backup in D then so be it. 

Look, if you want a Qb you have to pay them. You're not getting anyone for a million unless you signed Geno. This guy is a good player. The bottom line is they got him for one season total contract 6 mil. He could have waited it out and signed somewhere off of an injury. If a starter gets injured he's capable of being plugged in and playing well. 

And he will be worth every penny of woody money having extra coach on sideline for petty and hack.

I am also going to enjoy watching jets win a lot of games while a lot of dumbass around here root for them to fall on their face.....

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I believe that includes the game bonuses which are there likely because the Jets told him he would not be starting.

Sadly, no.

I believe the contract starts at 6M and he could get up to 12M with game bonuses.

Regardless, I don't give a fcuk what they paid him. The team has zero money tied up at QB and could afford to overspend to land their guy. But 'their guy' better be 'their guy' to be a mentor to Petty and Hack, and not to start 1/2 the games this season. Of course, given Todd 'He gives us the best chance to win' Bowles, I'm guessing, barring injury, McCown gets every penny of his Jets deal

Things I can give a sh!t about: Giving Mccown a few extra bucks this year. Wah wah wah. Who cares? SOJF's love to find reasons to whine. 

We needed a competent Qb to mentor and possibly start this year. He had a chance to be on a super bowl contender and possibly take over for Dak. Instead he is on a crappy rebuilding team where he may get his a$$ beat behind a weak line. 

This is the kind of garbage Manish/Fatcessa/SOJFs love to cry about. 

He's basically back up player/mentor/third QB coach (Bates and Lombardi). But for that money? Couldn't we have gotten just about anyone for a couple mil? 

Eh...was never a fan of this signing. But maybe his football iq is higher than I'm giving him credit for? I don't know.

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, if you want a Qb you have to pay them. You're not getting anyone for a million unless you signed Geno. This guy is a good player. The bottom line is they got him for one season total contract 6 mil. He could have waited it out and signed somewhere off of an injury. If a starter gets injured he's capable of being plugged in and playing well. 

LOL

Obviously the Cowboys don't need a starter nor do they need a transition QB so they offered what they offered its not that big a deal .... I figured Jets fans would be slitting their wrists over this and its just the same old sh*t with the fans here. 

Mccown is here for maybe 1 year and will probably play if our young QB's just totally sh*t the bed and embarrass themselves out of a chance to be the next Jets QB. In that case we will have one of the top 3 QB's in next years draft. It comes down to what the team perceives as a need and ours happens to be a little different than the Cowboys who already have a starter for the next 15 years.

Anyone notice how the same fans who think Hack will start this year and want to evaluate Hack, are the same fans who are strongest supporters of the sillyness of Suck for Sam?

Wierd.  Going to be ALOT od dissapointment when McCown starts, and we finish with draft pick #8-12 or so.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Obviously the Cowboys don't need a starter nor do they need a transition QB so they offered what they offered its not that big a deal .... I figured Jets fans would be slitting their wrists over this and its just the same old sh*t with the fans here. 

Mccown is here for maybe 1 year and will probably play if our young QB's just totally sh*t the bed and embarrass themselves out of a chance to be the next Jets QB. In that case we will have one of the top 3 QB's in next years draft. It comes down to what the team perceives as a need and ours happens to be a little different than the Cowboys who already have a starter for the next 15 years.

Top 3 QB from next year? Sexy. 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone notice how the same fans who think Hack will start this year and want to evaluate Hack, are the same fans who are strongest supporters of the sillyness of Suck for Sam?

Wierd.  Going to be ALOT od dissapointment when McCown starts, and we finish with draft pick #8-12 or so.

The last two teams McCown started for got the #1 pick in the following year's draft, so we have that going for us. 

The Jets may start him, but I don't think it's what they want to do. I think they'll give the kids every opportunity to win the job. 

The last two teams McCown started for got the #1 pick in the following year's draft, so we have that going for us. 
The Jets may start him, but I don't think it's what they want to do. I think they'll give the kids every opportunity to win the job. 

Lol not out of the realm of consideration...maybe that's why he went bonkers for him. Looked over his accomplishments on his resume...
"Assisted Tampa Bay Buccaneers secure rights to draft franchise quarterback Jameis Winston."

He saw that then to Mac it was over. He was going to be a jet no matter what. What's 6 million dollars if you can draft the number one quarterback in '18.

This is sarcasm but it's an interesting thought.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived