Jets' Austin Seferian-Jenkins sought help for drinking problem

Marshmello

That's just awesome to hear that about someone, getting their life together.  I feel like this could be our future TE for years to come..

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19499429/new-york-jets-te-austin-seferian-jenkins-admits-seeking-help-drinking-problem

Jets' Austin Seferian-Jenkins sought help for drinking problem

5:37 PM ET
  •  
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  
  •  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- An ordinary day for the New York Jets -- Day 4 of OTA practices -- was another winning day for Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

His 129th day without alcohol.

In an interview with ESPN, the veteran tight end admitted Tuesday he sought help after the season for a drinking problem that led to a DUI arrest last September. Seferian-Jenkins said he stopped drinking Jan. 21 and attended rehab four times a week on an outpatient basis.

"Even since I stopped drinking, it's been a transformation," Seferian-Jenkins, 24, said. "It really has changed my life. I just try to win one day at a time. I've won 129 days and I'm going to continue to win however many more days. It's been a blessing."

The Jets took a chance on Seferian-Jenkins after he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers following the arrest. An embarrassing police video surfaced in the aftermath, showing him making crude remarks in the back of the police cruiser. In March, he received a two-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

Seferian-Jenkins said he continued to drink during the season, allowing his weight to balloon to 285 pounds -- about 25 pounds about his listed playing weight. Finally, he decided to get help.

"Knowing you need help and you don't go get it, that's the worst thing," he said. "I was scared to get help. I was scared and embarrassed to tell people I have a problem."

Seferian-Jenkins said he wasn't a daily drinker, claiming he wasn't dependent on alcohol. During therapy, he came to the realization that he drank to cope with "dormant issues." He declined to elaborate on those issues.

"It's not like I was dependent on it; I was dependent on self-medicating myself so I could deal with s---," he said. "Once I figured out what was going on, I got help. I went to the doctor and figured everything out. "I've been straight. It's not like I'm f-----g dying. It's not like I craved it, wake up in the morning and I need a drink. It was just like, I'm having a tough time, I'm dealing with something, it's 6:30 p.m. and let's crack one back."

Seferian-Jenkins said he "graduated" last week from his outpatient program, receiving a commemorative coin. For several weeks, he spent 14 hours a week at a facility near the Jets' training complex. Now he plans to attend weekly sessions, knowing he also can speak with the Jets' in-house counselor.

"I give a lot of credit to the Jets' organization because they supported me when I told them I need to get help," he said. "They were the first people to say, 'We're so proud of you.' It wasn't embarrassing. They were like, 'This is great. This will be a great turning point in your life.'"

Seferian-Jenkins, a second-round pick of the Bucs in 2014, concluded that his drinking was preventing him from realizing his potential. In the offseason, he moved in with his agent, Brian Fettner, in Henderson, Nevada.

Temptation wasn't far -- Fettner's home is on a mountain, overlooking the Las Vegas strip -- but Seferian-Jenkins stuck to a strict diet and exercise regimen. Working with a personal trainer, he ate a lot of vegetables, drank two gallons of water a day, took two Pilates classes per day and ran hills.

He dropped 25 points, and it shows. Seferian-Jenkins, the most experienced tight end on the roster, has caught the attention of the coaches.

"He's running well," coach Todd Bowles said. "It's still early, but he's in a good groove right now."

Seferian-Jenkins believes he's a better person, no longer dreading those early-morning wake-up calls for practice. He will have to miss the first two games because of the suspension, but he said, "I'd rather have that -- the suspension -- than have myself be like the way I was."

His football goal, he said, is to repay the Jets for taking a chance on him at his low point.

"I want to be the guy the Jets brought in, the guy they see as a diamond in the rough, that they want to brush off and clean and show what he really can do," he said. "I'm brushing it away right now. I'm going to shine."

THANK YOU BRANDON MARSHALL!

As much crap - and probably valid - as Beast Marshall got from spoiled Man-Child Shelly and others for "distracting" the locker room in 2016, he DID reach out to ASJ as soon as he became a Jets and (possibly?) was the person who got ASJ on the right track to redemption and resolution to overcome whatever he was battling with alcohol. 

If ASJ becomes ANYTHING productive for the Jets as a TE, B. Marshall is the one to thank. . . . . 

"In new teammate Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Marshall sees someone that he can help. 

"I've been talking to Austin for a week now, even before this even happened," Marshall said, referring to the Jets claiming Seferian-Jenkins off waivers, per Newsday. "When I saw what he was going through I reached out to him. We've been talking for a while. He is a great talent. When I heard yesterday we claimed him I was like, 'This is God sent. If he needs me, I am there.' I've already connected him with the right people in the city if he needs them. Guys need second chances. When you make a mistake, it doesn't mean you are a bad person. You need people to believe in you, and sometimes a fresh start is a good start."

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Actually a really good story here. He's clearly talented.

One of my personal favorite TE prospects to watch and dissect. He can be as special as he wants to be.  

I work in a field where I see a ton of people who don't get the help they need or refuse it.  It takes a big person to admit that they have a problem and it takes an even bigger person to identify why they have that problem and then take the necessary steps to fix themselves.  

Really happy for ASJ.  Good on him.

I totally support giving a person a second chance. And if he stumbles, a third chance. Everybody deals with sh** in their lives. Sounds good so far. Hope he really is an impact player this year. God Speed ASJ.

23 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Best of luck to him.  He is finally showing some maturity and professionalism.  Would be great to see him find his redemption here.

We could surely use a feel good story about somebody with a high ceiling and have them reach it. Easy to root for. 

This is great to read! It goes beyond football, it is (his) life and I for one am rooting for him to be successful at staying dry and healthy, he sounds like a good guy who was a bit messed up. Also nice to read that the Jet organization did right by someone in need of help, hell we get all over them for the dumb things they do, they deserve accolades for doing a real good thing by standing by this young man. 

10 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

With our luck hell become a probowler.... we exit the tunnel at the afc championship game, here comes drunky mcstinkton with piss soaked pants cursing like a sailor and stumbling about

AFC championship game ? In!

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The time has come. 

You must be ECSTATIC. :)

I'm pretty anxious to see how ASJ performs for two reasons:

1) an actual offensive THREAT at TE since Johnny Mitchell

2) SOMEONE FINALLY make #88 AWESOME again and break the taboo of the Al Toon curse. 

P.S.

Sidenote: WR Chad Williams from Grambling went in the 3rd!!! :jawdrop: 

I was hoping he'd be a late round flyer for the Jets in the 5th+ rounds. He seems to be impressing early in OTAs- Link

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm still skeptical.  

Recovery is always tenuous.  He's in a contract year and he knows it.  Is he our long term answer, let's wait and see after he cashes the next contract he's working toward.

It is but for some people it just clicks...has nothing to do with contracts or money, they just want to live a different kind of life. I hope for his sake that is EXACTLY what he has discovered. I give anyone the benefit of the doubt. If I never see him in the news related to drinking there is no reason for me to be skeptical. 

10 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You must be ECSTATIC. :)

I'm pretty anxious to see how ASJ performs for two reasons:

1) an actual offensive THREAT at TE since Johnny Mitchell

2) SOMEONE FINALLY make #88 AWESOME again and break the taboo of the Al Toon curse. 

P.S.

Sidenote: WR Chad Williams from Grambling went in the 3rd!!! :jawdrop: 

I was hoping he'd be a late round flyer for the Jets in the 5th+ rounds. He seems to be impressing early in OTAs- Link

not surprised when it happened -- the number of teams that were working him out, it seemed inevitable being that it was such a shallow draft at WR... Dez lite! 

Good for him.  It's obviously great for him to recognize that and be doing something about it, but it's a whole other step to take into upon himself to be publicly discussing it like that.  Here's hoping it helps lead him to good things both on and off the field.

You cant help but root for the kid after reading that.  He's insanely talented.  Seems like he's thinking the right way.  Would be nice to have found an top notch talent at the position.  Hopefully the woes of being a Jet wont tempt him back to the bottle. 

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

You cant help but root for the kid after reading that.  He's insanely talented.  Seems like he's thinking the right way.  Would be nice to have found an top notch talent at the position.  Hopefully the woes of being a Jet wont tempt him back to the bottle. 

or towards a mall parking lot with a bottle of Jergens lotion.

Archived