If tanking, why is Sheldon Richardson not traded yet?

Fibonacci

Not a cap expert but I believe his salary is guaranteed for 2017 (since on an executed 5th year option) so can't save money by cutting. With no one offering anything significant in trade to pick up a malcontented player's $8m/year salary, Jets are stuck. Play him this year and if he gets his head out of his azz maybe can tag+trade next off-season. He has incentive to work hard in contract year. Worst case let him walk with no cap hit after '17.

Actually make sense at this point. Teams are happy with their squads now, but after a few weeks somebody will bite. Because the trading deadline is in October. Wilk may be on the block too. If they can show any modicum of talent entirely plausible both end the season elsewhere and the Jets may actually do something smart. 

At some point the Jets will trade Sheldon Richardson during the season.    Teams just don't want to pay eight million for one year rental.    Sometime at the trading deadline , someone will bite( when the cost is a little less). 

The Jets will have 90 million dollar in cap space next year- can forget about getting a compensation in 2019 if they let him leave next year.( Jets will be big players in the Fa market in 2018). 

22 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

At some point the Jets will trade Sheldon Richardson during the season.    Teams just don't want to pay eight million for one year rental.    Sometime at the trading deadline , someone will bite( when the cost is a little less). 

The Jets will have 90 million dollar in cap space next year- can forget about getting a compensation in 2019 if they let him leave next year.( Jets will be big players in the Fa market in 2018). 

Is it spending in general that's important or the position itself?

What I mean is if the Jets let Sheldon go, he signs a 5 year 50 mill deal someplace, and the Jets don't replace him with any other D-lineman in FA (because they don't need to)  although they do spend maybe 30 million elsewhere wouldn't that garner a comp pick anyway?

I thought it was a matter of compensation for the player in question individually, not broad spending. Or am I just remembering incorrectly?

23 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Is it spending in general that's important or the position itself?

What I mean is if the Jets let Sheldon go, he signs a 5 year 50 mill deal someplace, and the Jets don't replace him with any other D-lineman in FA (because they don't need to)  although they do spend maybe 30 million elsewhere wouldn't that garner a comp pick anyway?

I thought it was a matter of compensation for the player in question individually, not broad spending. Or am I just remembering incorrectly?

Maybe this explains it better than I can .

• Compensatory Picks Are Based on Players Lost/Gained in Free Agency: In most cases, a team needs to have lost more players who qualify for compensatory status than gained over the last league year. The NFL determines which players qualify for said status. 
  • A Team Cannot Have More Than Four Compensatory Picks: This is for obvious, competitive-balance reasons.
  • All Free Agents Are Not Considered Equal: The NFL makes its determination on what round compensatory players correlate to via a combination of factors: "salary, playing time and postseason honors," per a 2012 press release. The exact formula, again, is not public; however, it's a pretty good bet that the more money a player makes, the higher his compensatory value. In essence: Look for the Detroit Lions to land squarely in the third round next year after losing Ndamukong Suh to the Miami Dolphins.
  • There Are 32 Selections That Can Be Awarded: Theoretically, there is one for every team.

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He has no value and nobody wants him.  They have been trying for months to trade him.  If anyone wanted him, hed be gone.

It was reported that last year the cowboys offered Macc a 2nd round pick and Macc declined.

It's not that no one wanted She'll, it's that Macc tried to bend a team over and it didn't work. Now we'll probably never see an offer like that again given that a team can simply wait one season to potentially sign him.

But let's not act like no one wants him. Macc messed that up

18 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Who have the Jets cut or traded that was a prime player like Sheldon?

Nobody... They are clearing out the garbage not trading top players.

Yep. Getting rid of Richardson doesn't align with their other cuts. But I can see Wilk or Richardson traded for reasonable compensation. 

When we suck, and we will suck, if he is even playing remotely well - we will get decent value back for him, maybe a 3rd rounder and a conditional pick? I dont think any team will spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy who's in his contract year and has off the field issues... At best we get a 3rd rounder and I'd be happy with that. 

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Not a cap expert but I believe his salary is guaranteed for 2017 (since on an executed 5th year option) so can't save money by cutting. With no one offering anything significant in trade to pick up a malcontented player's $8m/year salary, Jets are stuck. Play him this year and if he gets his head out of his azz maybe can tag+trade next off-season. He has incentive to work hard in contract year. Worst case let him walk with no cap hit after '17.

and even if he walks, they will most likely get a pretty high compensatory pick in the draft.  so when people say to trade him for whatever, there is a floor and that's a 4th or 3rd round pick.  frankly, the way mo played last season the better play would be to trade him and apply the money to re-sign richardson.

Just now, rangerous said:

and even if he walks, they will most likely get a pretty high compensatory pick in the draft.  so when people say to trade him for whatever, there is a floor and that's a 4th or 3rd round pick.  frankly, the way mo played last season the better play would be to trade him and apply the money to re-sign richardson.

You only get a comp pick if you are not active in free agency. The reality is that we have 60+ mil in cap room next year and will be active in free agency which destroys any chance of accumulating any comp picks. 

11 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Do they believe he will stay here beyond 2017? Not happening. I say trade his ass and pea sized brain to the highest bidder before regular season starts. 

Because Mac has demonstrated that he has zero idea how to execute trading a player off the roster to another team.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

You only get a comp pick if you are not active in free agency. The reality is that we have 60+ mil in cap room next year and will be active in free agency which destroys any chance of accumulating any comp picks. 

I've only said this 5x. Nobody is listening. Even if we did, people are banking on hopes of the 100th pick in the 2019 draft. If they want that pick so badly, then just trade back 10 slots in the 2nd round, two years from now. Nobody pays $8m for 10 2nd-round slots in a draft 2 years into the future.

These hopes are predicated that the cash-flush Jets - whose GM will be on ultra-thin ice after back-to-back 3-5 win seasons - will stay away from qualifying UFAs just so the team could get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick a year later, after he's fired.

We aren't getting anything for Richardson unless it's via trade. I think at this point Maccagnan's just hoping he'll get a better offer in October. With our luck he'll get IR'd in August, so his $8m still gets paid without playing a game, and we get nothing. No cap relief to use in the future, and no draft pick compensation.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I've only said this 5x. Nobody is listening. Even if we did, people are banking on hopes of the 100th pick in the 2019 draft. If they want that pick so badly, then just trade back 10 slots in the 2nd round, two years from now. Nobody pays $8m for 10 2nd-round slots in a draft 2 years into the future.

These hopes are predicated that the cash-flush Jets - whose GM will be on ultra-thin ice after back-to-back 3-5 win seasons - will stay away from qualifying UFAs just so the team could get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick a year later, after he's fired.

We aren't getting anything for Richardson unless it's via trade. I think at this point Maccagnan's just hoping he'll get a better offer in October. With our luck he'll get IR'd in August, so his $8m still gets paid without playing a game, and we get nothing. No cap relief to use in the future, and no draft pick compensation.

Just a very arbitrary offseason

2 hours ago, jdeacon said:

Don't sign true FA, just players who were cut.

The purging the roster, getting extra draft picks, Idzik wrote the manual on that.   The "how do I draft anyone with talent" part of the process, he sucked

His value is in the toilet right now. As the season progresses, if he stays out of trouble AND some teams have a hole we might be able to move him. We are likely going to be signing FAs next year with a new QB to support and a lot of cap, so he no longer will have compensatory value to us. But, another team may pony up a 3rd or 4th knowing he will have compensatory value for them.

Worst case and his value doesn't improve, we just let him walk. Also I think the FO believes that our O will suck, but they are trying to build a competative defense. One player MAY make a difference on D, where one player won't make any difference on the O.

Archived