Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the bears are picking near the top, they'll take Barkley. They already have their QB.

Not sure about that.  They have Howard and Cohen which is more than enough at RB position. They wouldn't go QB obviously, but I doubt they'd take a RB either.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, maury77 said:

I didn't get to watch Rosen last night. I watched the USC game and it was not one of Darnold's best games. Cal's defense was much better than I expected and they had him under duress most of the game. 

Rosen was under pressure most of the game and his receivers dropped a lot of passes. It didn't help that the bruin D could not tackle or catch Stanford's little RB.

Boy oh boy, the shine of the '18 qb class isn't nearly as shiny anymore. Fanboys tried to tell us how Trubisky and Watson and Mahomes and Kizer weren't suitable to hold these guys' jocks.  Those of us who are smarter said this isn't the case and if we have a chance to grab a top qb THIS YEAR we should do it. Never make the mistake of 'wait til next year' because things change too quickly.

12 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Boy oh boy, the shine of the '18 qb class isn't nearly as shiny anymore. Fanboys tried to tell us how Trubisky and Watson and Mahomes and Kizer weren't suitable to hold these guys' jocks.  Those of us who are smarter said this isn't the case and if we have a chance to grab a top qb THIS YEAR we should do it. Never make the mistake of 'wait til next year' because things change too quickly.

...UCLA has no team. It's Rosen and that's it. He still completed 40-60 for over 400 yards. Darnold still shined more than any QB from last year with his pocket presence and moxie. Cal'a front 7 was on point yesterday and couldn't slow him down good enough. These QB's are OBVIOUSLY more talented. Stop it.

5 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Smarter?  The talk of the 2017 NFLcombine wasn't about Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson.  You know, the top QB prospects in that draft?  It was about Darnold and to a lesser extent Rosen.  If Kizer was in the 2018 draft, he would have been a late round pick.  

Whats great about college football this year is that the networks know that there is heavy interest in these guys and because of this, everyone of their games is televised.  What's bad is you have casual fans watching casually, and critiquing every negative play like it's a deal breaker.

Darnold and Rosen are better pro prospects than anyone in the 2017 draft.  Mahomes, MIGHT have a higher ceiling only because of Andy Reid and the KC surrounding cast, but he still has a LONG way to go.

What both guys did yesterday didn't hurt their draft stock at all.  If you watched the game, you saw Darnold battle without his top 2 offensive weopans against a 3-0 team on the road.  And he won the game.

As for Rosen, despite an inferior roster, an inferior coaching staff, he threw for almost 500 yards while under constant duress.  

Why don't we let this process run the coarse.  With Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Falk, and Lamar Jackson all having a shot at the first round next year, the timing was perfect for us to pass on a QB in 2017 and then set the organization up for our choice in 2018.

Lol at the hypocrisy. Darnold is throwing INTs all over the place, and so is Rosen. And many of the decisons are awful. But now we're giving style points for competing against tough teams. Hell, we're even citing the mighty cal bears defense (ha!) who is historically one of the worst in in the power 5. But when posters pointed out that Watson tore up the best D in cfb 2 years in a row, willing his team to victory and a national championship in the process, that was quickly dismissed. 

Look, I like Darnold but the evidence that these guys are any better than last year's top prospects is absent. 

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Lol at the hypocrisy. Darnold is throwing INTs all over the place, and so is Rosen. And many of the decisons are awful. But now we're giving style points for competing against tough teams. Hell, we're even citing the mighty cal bears defense (ha!) who is historically one of the worst in in the power 5. But when posters pointed out that Watson tore up the best D in cfb 2 years in a row, willing his team to victory and a national championship in the process, that was quickly dismissed. 

Look, I like Darnold but the evidence that these guys are any better than last year's top prospects is absent. 

He's thrown like 3 interceptions all season so far though? You people look at stats too much in college. Didn't Geno Smith throw 50 touchdowns to 6 interception? It's the eye test that matters and both pass with flying colors. Awful decisions?? Half of Darnold's picks have come from tipped balls and zero effort from wide outs. He has had a little trouble with the long ball this year and that's literally the only issue. Everything else is 10/10. You sound ignorant at the moment. Stop cutting your nose off to spite your face and cater your point. You are fooling yourself if you believe Darnold/Rosen aren't better than Watson/Mitch

Calm down, pal. You seem mad for some reason. No I'm not stupid. Darnold has 7 picks already this year which is not good. And yes many have come on poor decisions, poor throws, or both.

Rosen has been better with only 4 picks, which is pretty good considering the amount of attempts he has.

The narrative was always these guys are superior prospects to the '17 class. They're not. And, yes, I know this only because I do watch so much cfb and don't rely on the stats.

21 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Ok aside from Watson, what the heck did Trubisky or Mahomes do in college last year that was even close to what Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield are doing this year?

Watson was incredibly successful but IMO, it was his physical limitations and a very gimmicky offense that hurt his draft stock with most teams.

And fans on a Jets message board aren't the only ones stating this.  There are more teams this year that have no interest in winning games than I have ever witnessed in almost 40 years of watching the sport.  And I fear that it will get much worse as the season progresses.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He's thrown like 3 interceptions all season so far though? You people look at stats too much in college. Didn't Geno Smith throw 50 touchdowns to 6 interception? It's the eye test that matters and both pass with flying colors. Awful decisions? Are you stupid? Half of Darnold's picks have come from tipped balls and zero effort from wide outs. He has had a little trouble with the long ball this year and that's literally the only issue. Everything else is 10/10. You sound ignorant at the moment. Stop cutting your nose off to spite your face and cater your point. You are fooling yourself if you believe Darnold/Rosen aren't better than Watson/Mitch

I will say this, Darnold's interceptions were on target.  None of them have been the result of miss communication or inaccurate throws.  They were the result of a young QB not knowing his limitations, tipped balls off his WRs, or incredible defensive plays.  

Anyone is has watched football can tell the difference between someone who has been called "Troy Aikman to a T," to a bunch of guys who are long shots to stick in the league long term.

10 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Calm down, pal. You seem mad for some reason. No I'm not stupid. Darnold has 7 picks already this year which is not good. And yes many have come on poor decisions, poor throws, or both.

Rosen has been better with only 4 picks, which is pretty good considering the amount of attempts he has.

The narrative was always these guys are superior prospects to the '17 class. They're not. And, yes, I know this only because I do watch so much cfb and don't rely on the stats.

You are in a very small minority in your belief that the QBs of 17 are even close to 18.

12 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I never said you were stupid nor' am I mad. You said Rosen has thrown a ton of interceptions and Darnold interceptions have been terrible decisions when that's just not the case. I used the word ignorant for a reason. The 17' class is FAR superior.

56 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

So does Deshaun Watson carving up the defending super bowl champs on the road make him a worthwhile prospect yet, or are we still more impressed with Darnold's success against Cal's vaunted front 7?

Let's see what happens when the opposition has a compilation of game film on him and DC's game plan for him. RG III and Kaepernick made lots of teams look foolish early on , it's amazing how DC's catch up to that.

On 9/2/2017 at 3:38 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

I havent paid much attention to rudolph.  Looks like he threw for over 300 yards and 3 tds.  Ran for a td as well.  He is now on my much watch list moving forward.

Better pay attention to him Oklahoma State's offense is high powered with this guy, but so was Baylor with Petty. So hard to judge whether a guy will be the same guy in the pros as he was in college. That is always the challenge, finding the one that has the upside to make the transition and not lose anything.

Darnold is the choice at this point if we have it.... He's young and yes he's thrown INT's, but he can learn from that. What he already has is pocket presence, good footwork, and a strong arm. Not a big fan of his windup, and wished he had a quicker release, but he can even clean that up as well. He has the if we are losing, "I'm not going to let my team lose because of me" thing...  He and Mayfield both have it. Just at this point, I like the taller and bigger guy. 

I dont watch much college football. Yes I've been turning on games to watch the QB class this season. Am I missing something? If we're talking eye test, is there a QB that has more physical gifts than Lamar Jackson? His arm talent and athleticism are incredible. Why is there no discussion about his potential?

46 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Better pay attention to him Oklahoma State's offense is high powered with this guy, but so was Baylor with Petty. So hard to judge whether a guy will be the same guy in the pros as he was in college. That is always the challenge, finding the one that has the upside to make the transition and not lose anything.

Oklahoma St. has the best WR core in the country, and Rudolph plays in a gimmick offensive system, and has poor mobility, and crumbles when pressured no thanks.  Great college QB, big development prospect just like Petty.

30 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I dont watch much college football. Yes I've been turning on games to watch the QB class this season. Am I missing something? If we're talking eye test, is there a QB that has more physical gifts than Lamar Jackson? His arm talent and athleticism are incredible. Why is there no discussion about his potential?

Jackson will get drafted early in the 1st round IMO, but like Vick, and RGIII you have to be willing to install a special offense for them to succeed, and hope they do not get hurt running around while you wait the 3+ years it will take him to possibly learn to play the game from the pocket.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Jackson will get drafted early in the 1st round IMO, but like Vick, and RGIII you have to be willing to install a special offense for them to succeed, and hope they do not get hurt running around while you wait the 3+ years it will take him to possibly learn to play the game from the pocket.

good to know

On 9/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, Pointdexter said:

I agree. Maybe the hype will catch up, but so far people are talking themselves into a narrative that they want to believe, at least on Darnold. I believe in Rosen, no complaints there. Darnold I don't see as that much better (if at all) to the guys last year. There's some great things on tape, but Trubisky did a lot of the same stuff in terms of throwing on the run and improv, so did Mahomes. And it can't be about mechanics cuz Darnold looks ugly on tape plenty just like Mahomes. When people say they'd trade 2 first rounders, and the entire draft for Darnold I'm thinking like ummmm yeah. Which means people will probably be talking about the "It" factor pretty soon.

Granted I'd be ecstatic to have either over the basura we have now, don't get me wrong.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:06 PM, Lupz27 said:

Oklahoma St. has the best WR core in the country, and Rudolph plays in a gimmick offensive system, and has poor mobility, and crumbles when pressured no thanks.  Great college QB, big development prospect just like Petty.

Mason did not seem to crumble yesterday and I watched most of the game (switching back and forth), Rudolph held strong in the pocket for a scoring drive to put his team up before the half - announcers comparing him to Big Ben - then drive his team down for the win - 27/38 (71%)  376 yards, 3 TD's and 1 Int also ran 11 times for 50 yards and 2 TD's

Thier RB (Hill) did carry a load with 30 for 164 yards 

Archived