Muhammad Wilkerson says shoulder injury could be year-long issue

Gas2No99

Muhammad Wilkerson says shoulder injury could be year-long issue

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0927%2Fr265713_1 Muhammad Wilkerson hasn't made much of an impact on the stat sheets so far this season. AP Photo/Adrian Kraus

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It looks like it'll be another year of injury questions for Muhammad Wilkerson.

The New York Jets' defensive end revealed Wednesday he has a Grade 1 AC joint sprain in his left shoulder, an injury he believes will have to be managed throughout the season.

"Yeah, probably, most likely, but that's football," said Wilkerson, who receives daily treatment. "That comes with the business. I have to take care of it each and every day and hope it feels good on Sunday."

The injury, which happened in the Week 2 loss at the Oakland Raiders, will limit his practice time, but Wilkerson intends to play through it. He didn't practice on Wednesday, but he expects to play Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Wilkerson underwent an MRI exam; the results were negative, according to coach Todd Bowles, who also acknowledged this could be a season-long issue. AC joint sprains range from mild (grade 1) to severe (grade 6).

Looking at the big picture, this is the second straight year Wilkerson has dealt with an injury. His surgically repaired ankle became an issue last season. He missed only one game, but he said he was hampered by soreness. It was a hugely disappointing season for Wilkerson, who finished with only 4.5 sacks.

"I'll be all right," Wilkerson said, downplaying the shoulder. "I told you, I'll be all right. I'm not frustrated."

The Jets were satisfied with Wilkerson's performance Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, but his season stats aren't jumping off the page -- nine tackles, no sacks and no quarterback hits.

This is an important year for the former Pro Bowl end. It's the second year of a five-year, $86 million contract, but there's no guarantee he'll be on the team next year. His 2018 salary ($16.75 million) doesn't become guaranteed until the third day of the '18 league year in March, meaning there's an easy escape for the Jets.

Fellow defensive lineman Leonard Williams still is battling a preseason wrist injury. He, too, is off to a slow start from a statistical perspective -- 10 tackles, no sacks, three quarterback hits. Bowles sounded more concerned about Williams than Wilkerson.

"It's going to be delicate," Bowles said of the injury. "We've got to understand when he's in a lot of pain and when he's not. It has to be managed every week all year, so it seems. It can be [limiting]."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said this before.  These are great guys to keep drafting high.  They step right in and play well.  BUT DON'T GIVE THEM SECOND CONTRACTS.  Keep drafting them.  Give OL second contracts, because they often get third contracts.  They also tend to be smart.

8 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets tried to trade Wilkerson twice.  They didn't get close to what they wanted.

Yep. And, in hindsight, they probably should've just taken what they could get. Or, at the very least, not give him such a big ******* extension.

Wilk legitimately seemed the second best true DL behind JJ Watt...he even said all the right things...played out his rookie contract, seemed like a really good guy- a couple minor immaturity slip ups but really never saw his lack of heart. I'm sure he's got a real injury but he clearly gives zero ****s when you watch him on sundays.

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I hate Mo but let's be real, he isn't going anywhere mainly because no one will want him. He'll likely restructure after the season when we have the leverage to cut him. 

No he won't. Unless he's willing to take what he's worth, which is maybe 3-4 mil max as of right now. He's a goner. 

6 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets tried to trade Wilkerson twice.  They didn't get close to what they wanted.

I'd think the asking price for Wilk would be similar to Sheldon but maybe our smart GMs got a little too smart. 

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Those bruised Vags are really bad.

I'd love a Olineman to Pancake block him, then stand over him doing the Hula Dance.

You need to start watching some Jets football games. That happens every other play. Well, all except the hula dance. 

Goes to show that a little extra money should not stop you from getting what your gut tells you (you really want)

If the Jets signed Olivier Vernon, Mo does not get that contract from the Jets, second choices are exactly that (see West side stadium)

Sad thing is I probably would have be upset at first if the Jets signed Vernon and pulled the tag from Mo, he did the "right" things before that contract, maybe they should have signed him earlier but guess he got his revenge, hope it was worth it

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I can't believe we're going to have to replace Wilk and Shel, before we address any of the other neglected needs we've had the entire time since drafting them.

Leo will be fine with a couple of the developing UDFA's  - can't be much worse than last year so no rush to replace ShelMo with high draft picks or expensive FA's

Time for the team to focus on the Offense

2 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Asking to use the bathroom more than once a day? WTF??? 

I suppose they expect to eat too, in a 12 hour shift. Ungrateful bastards! They need professional re-education camps! 

Since a Lunch Hour is included in that shift your point is pretty silly don't you think? On the other hand complaining could be construed as Lack of Gratitude. Looks like you have 2 symptoms of this particular disease. Seek Help immediately.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Leo will be fine with a couple of the developing UDFA's  - can't be much worse than last year so no rush to replace ShelMo with high draft picks or expensive FA's

Time for the team to focus on the Offense

My point is, they are 2 of the very few draft picks we hit on... and should have afforded us a chance to focus elsewhere... yet now we need to replace them. Doesn't matter with who. Just that we can't get ahead ic we can't even manage the fed things we get right.

Read his ******* quote you geniuses.  He said it is football, to be expected and he has to do what he has to do to be ready on Sunday.  Shocking!  You don't even need an article to bash him for no ******* reason.  Just put his initials in the title.  What is Williams doing better?  Sounds like Bowles is more likely to think Williams is full of sh*t.  He is the one where Bowles had to mention pain. Sack a week!

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm wiling to give Mo more time. He's had a number of injuries (broken leg, bad ankle and now the shoulder) that people here are simply trivializing. Pass rushers strength comes from their lower body , when your dealing with the after effects of a broken leg and bad ankle it robs your explosiveness.

I feel Mo will be fine , but I know to Jets fans patience is a foreign word.

Archived