The Mount. Rushmore of Jets Worst Mistakes

SouthernJet

I will start:

1 - New owner Johnson making parcells totally leave organization as he promised year before (when Hess promised Belichick he would have TOTAL control following year when Tuna retired). Instead Tuna decides to stay as President and Belichick , not being stupid, says BS, I've been in his shadow my whole career and if he is Prez of team and I start out 2-5, he will come back to sideline. No trophies cause Parcells decided he wanted to stay since new owner would allow it (Hess promised Belichick 100% control)

2 - Is a penalty a mistake? Gastineau roughing Kosar on meaningless last gasp play that allowed Browns to win game and cost us a AFC Champ/SB berth. We were better than Denver that year (they beat Browns following week on 98 yd drive). I think we would have had home field for that game. 

3 - Lam Jones #1 pick in draft

4 - Not having own stadium

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting topic.  Would suggest splitting mistakes between "Worst Decisions -off field" and "Worst Plays - on field"

Since "Worst Plays" would be limitless, I'd with these as the worst 4 decisions:

1. Letting Belichick walk as HC of the NYJ. Hindsight is 20/20, but clearly this is the single biggest mistake in franchise history.

2. Hiring Jay Cross to get a Stadium on the West Side.  The only person in business outwitted by James Dolan.  We hired him!

3. Parcells not having a backup QB going into the 1999 season. By the time Ray Lucas got on the field, the season was already destroyed by the Rick Mirer experiment"

4. Leon Hess for moving and staying in Giants Stadium and having non-football people run the franchise (Jim Kensil) until 1990.

1.  Choosing to hire a head coach to ignore our offense at the very moment we had discovered a 22 year old rookie quarterback who stepped into the NFL as a college junior, led us to the playoffs in back-to-back years, went on a 16-4 run best in team history, won 4 playoff games all on the road, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.

It's just like the Jets to finally unearth the franchise quarterback prospect we've been searching for since Vietnam and treat him like a Communist.

SAR I

Ya agree, that was a odd one. Somehow Kotite, just on how he back stabbed to get job made me never respect him. Beata writers at time told me he left practice many times 2-3 PM to play golf. he has zero fera at time of any repercussions.

Granted I'm not old enough to go back to all of the SOJF moments, but mine:

Parcells (for not guaranteeing Peyton would be the #1 overall pick)
Doug OBrien (Yes, Hermie and Pennyboy deserve their share of the blame here, but at the end of the day, two missed makeable FGs are what they are)
Some sort of facial combination of all of the good players we passed on in various drafts
Some sort of facial combination of all of the sh*tty draft picks by Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Mac

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Marino, end of topic. 

remember marino was old days,, Kiper told me that Marino tested positive at combine (it didnt make the news). That was scandoulous then. Reason Jets and others passed. 

23 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Marino, end of topic. 

Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith. In a time RBs were the sheet, passed on an all time one for a bum. Plus would have saved us watching the downside of Curtis Martin and allowed that FA $ to go to other spots .

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

1.  Choosing to hire a head coach to ignore our offense at the very moment we had discovered a 22 year old rookie quarterback who stepped into the NFL as a college junior, led us to the playoffs in back-to-back years, went on a 16-4 run best in team history, won 4 playoff games all on the road, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.

It's just like the Jets to finally unearth the franchise quarterback prospect we've been searching for since Vietnam and treat him like a Communist.

SAR I

I knew it was coming! I knew it! IT WAS INEVITABLE. The SAR I token Sanchez post.

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

By far the "Worst Play" for me is Gastineau getting flagged for roughing Bernie Kosar.  Could have won the Super Bowl that year.

That's a subjective call though. I've seen worse not called.

It has to be the fake spike. Sent the Jets into the depths for 2 years

Whoops forgot it was moments
1. First half 2010 afc championship game...Rex didn’t have his team ready to play for the championship game just terrible. Add in the comeback that ultimately fell short and we all went home feeling cheated
2.herm Edwards taking knees in Pittsburg....do I need to explain this one?
3. Keith Byars fumble in 1998 afc championship game.....at 15 this was my first true heartbreak by this team and the Byars fumble is always etched into my mind
4. Xmas eve victor cruz: ugh why did I go through all of this for this thread

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Worst of all time was not a mistake but was in fact a greedy business decision.

After SB III the ownership began treating the franchise like a cheap rental property wringing out profit in lieu of the annual reinvesting needed for a strong supporting cast for #12 which in turn destroyed his career. Martin Hess Iselin etc should have been ashamed of themselves but hey it was their franchise to run into the ground and they did exactly that.

I have not been a jet fan nearly as long as most here but one that I raged at and and almost kicked my tv in was Eric Barton roughing vs San diego letting them kick the game tieing FG.

Jets won in overtime but I was totally enraged at the stupidity of that play

Just now, Beerfish said:

I have not been a jet fan nearly as long as most here but one that I raged at and and almost kicked my tv in was Eric Barton roughing vs San diego letting them kick the game tieing FG.

Jets won in overtime but I was totally enraged at the stupidity of that play

Nate Kaeding sees the Jets in his nightmares

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Nate Kaeding sees the Jets in his nightmares

That was a part on schottenheimer, as soon as they got in FG range he played for the longer kick when they were steam rolling down the field.

Then a week later Herm does the same damn thing when Brien missed the FG.(s)

58 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Granted I'm not old enough to go back to all of the SOJF moments, but mine:

Parcells (for not guaranteeing Peyton would be the #1 overall pick)
Doug OBrien (Yes, Hermie and Pennyboy deserve their share of the blame here, but at the end of the day, two missed makeable FGs are what they are)
Some sort of facial combination of all of the good players we passed on in various drafts
Some sort of facial combination of all of the sh*tty draft picks by Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Mac

I think your #1 is without a doubt #1 all time. Not only an enormous blunder that destroyed years of fun and success and super bowls...how jetsy. But seriously, can it be can anymore Jetsy than the best coach they ever had, the best success they ever had besides one year in 68, Parcells literally saved this franchise...at the time....and then yet, at the same time diabolically destroyed it for , at least, the next 20 years, first, with Peyton staying (in school), second with Belicheck leaving (to a divisional rival). All because of the same guy who was like, the best thing to ever happen to it (at the time) So Jetsy, like text book definition 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

The question with that is was it just speeding up the inevitable?

People have said that but this league is totally built on opportunity and breaks for players drafted later.  Many guys never get that break and then there are guys like Brady, kurt warner that get their chance due to injury and roll with it.

Just now, Beerfish said:

People have said that but this league is totally built on opportunity and breaks for players drafted later.  Many guys never get that break and then there are guys like Brady, kurt warner that get their chance due to injury and roll with it.

The thing to remember was that those teams were mainly built around defense. By 2007 Brady became the star of the show

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

I will start:

1 - New owner Johnson making parcells totally leave organization as he promised year before (when Hess promised Belichick he would have TOTAL control following year when Tuna retired). Instead Tuna decides to stay as President and Belichick , not being stupid, says BS, I've been in his shadow my whole career and if he is Prez of team and I start out 2-5, he will come back to sideline. No trophies cause Parcells decided he wanted to stay since new owner would allow it (Hess promised Belichick 100% control)

2 - Is a penalty a mistake? Gastineau roughing Kosar on meaningless last gasp play that allowed Browns to win game and cost us a AFC Champ/SB berth. We were better than Denver that year (they beat Browns following week on 98 yd drive). I think we would have had home field for that game. 

Isn’t it the 4 HCs on SAR I’s pic?  

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

I will start:

1. That was on BP and I believe BB's original contract he knew BP would move upstairs but that he would have control.  The issue was BP never let BB in on his plans even though he knew he wasn't coming back. That wasn't on Woody, it was on BP.

2. That penalty kept the Browns hopes alive, it didn't win the game for the Browns.  we had a million chances but we couldn't score w/ legendary ken O'Brien under C after Pat Ryan got hurt.

3. Draft mistakes happen every year for every team, that didn't set the franchise back.  we were 30 mins from the SB w/ him starting.

4. This is overblown.  It would be great to have our own Stadium but our win% at Giants Stadium was higher than at Shea.  If you have talent they will win anywhere.

Archived