So if we sign Cousins in FA, and Lamar Jackson is sitting there in rd 2...

Pointdexter

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I lived down here and got to see him play once. Nice touch nice anticipation on his passes. Perfect kid to pick and sit behind a vet for awhile 

Yes reminds me of when Flacco was at U Del. 

My son went to school there during his time there so we went to a bunch of the games.

I knew he was gonna an NFL star the first time I saw him play.

Granted, it was 1AA competiton and he looked like a man playing against boys but you could just see it.

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

My wish for the NYJ QB room (Lamar Jackson, McCown, Hack)

McCown is on record as saying he believes in Jackson. Great. Have McCown be Jackson's bridge QB/QB coach. 

I expect at least 5 butt fumbles for my post. Thank you.

No, no buttfumble. You're entitled to like what you like. 

Just don;t understand why you want a future WR at your QB.  Guy has no future at the pro level as a QB.  He's certainly not the Mike Vick some are proclaiming him to be, guy doesn;t have 1/10'th of Vicks talent as a passer.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Just don;t understand why you want a future WR at your QB.  Guy has no future at the pro level as a QB.  He's certainly not the Mike Vick some are proclaiming him to be, guy doesn;t have 1/10'th of Vicks talent as a passer.

You're very confident Jackson is not going to amount to much as a QB. I see a player that has ascended each year in college. I assume he's only going to get better. He already has elite tools to work with. Vicks opinion shouldn't matter but he has stated publicly a couple of times now that Jackson is better than him at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm curious why you think this seeing as Vick wasn't anywhere near as good of a passer in college as Jackson.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious why you think this seeing as Vick wasn't anywhere near as good of a passer in college as Jackson.

Would love to hear this one too

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because every single analysis of Jackson I've heard or read says, and I'm summarizing here, "he is not a good, smart or accurate passer, he is a thrower who gets by on natural athleticism.  He's athletic like Vick, but not anywhere near as accurate as passer".

Why would I want to invest the new half-decade of my franchise in a Kordell Stewart wannabe who may never be more than an adequate NFL WR/QB hybrid?

This is the same board that doesn't want Kirk Cousins, because apparently being a top-10 4,000 yard passer isn't good enough for the Glorious Jets, but we want 2nd tier guys who need to massively improve like Jackson?  Because something something upside? 

I'll never understand my fellow fans, seriously.  Best actual QB available = Cousins.  Best performing college QB available = Mayfield.

But no, we want Sam Darnold for the mere cost of all our picks the next two years.  Or Josh "Can't even get to 60% in college" Allen.  Or this Jackson kid, because in some dreamland somewhere, he turns from being a raw athletic thrower into.....what?  A Franchise Passing QB?

Forgive me if I don't think the odds favor that happening.  I want a QB.  Not an Athlete.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Because every single analysis of Jackson I've heard or read says, and I'm summarizing here, "he is not a good, smart or accurate passer, he is a thrower who gets by on natural athleticism.  He's athletic like Vick, but not anywhere near as accurate as passer".

Why would I want to invest the new half-decade of my franchise in a Kordell Stewart wannabe who may never be more than an adequate NFL WR/QB hybrid?

This is the same board that doesn't want Kirk Cousins, because apparently being a top-10 4,000 yard passer isn't good enough for the Glorious Jets, but we want 2nd tier guys who need to massively improve like Jackson?  Because something something upside? 

I'll never understand my fellow fans, seriously.  Best actual QB available = Cousins.  Best performing college QB available = Mayfield.

But no, we want Sam Darnold for the mere cost of all our picks the next two years.  Or Josh "Can't even get to 60% in college" Allen.  Or this Jackson kid, because in some dreamland somewhere, he turns from being a raw athletic thrower into.....what?  A Franchise Passing QB?

Forgive me if I don't think the odds favor that happening.  I want a QB.  Not an Athlete.

HomeRunSwing.jpg

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

no offense but you read some lazy, ignorant analysis. “QB/WR hybrid” “franchise passing QB” yeah ok buddy 

tenor.gif?itemid=5342803

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm all in on Cousins but I think people are wrong on Jackson & I hope he goes to the NFC. I don't want to see him in the AFC. 

Of course with our luck Jackson will be picked by Buffalo, and we'll get to see him up close & personal for years looking like a Randall Cunningham rerun, running away from another one of our sh*tty LBs for year ANOTHER 1st down. 

If we don't get Cousins, I'd love to trade back & draft Jackson, sign Tyrod Taylor when he gets cut & build the offense with athletic Olineman that can move & pick the most athletic Center in the draft & one of the stud RBs, Michel, Jones, Guice? I'll wait for all the buttfumbles, lol. 

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm all in on Cousins but I think people are wrong on Jackson & I hope he goes to the NFC. I don't want to see him in the AFC. 

Of course with our luck Jackson will be picked by Buffalo, and we'll get to see him up close & personal for years looking like a Randall Cunningham rerun, running away from another one of our sh*tty LBs for year ANOTHER 1st down. 

Because slow, old, unathletic QB's don't already do this to us? 

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If we don't get Cousins, I'd love to trade back & draft Jackson, sign Tyrod Taylor when he gets cut & build the offense with athletic Olineman that can move & pick the most athletic Center in the draft & one of the stud RBs, Michel, Jones, Guice? I'll wait for all the buttfumbles, lol. 

So.....basically a college option offense then?

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because slow, old, unathletic QB's don't already do this to us? 

So.....basically a college option offense then?

Well, the Bills did make the playoffs while we watched from home. Hey, like I've said numerous times, I'm 100% Cousins first, it's a f*cking no brainer, and he'll be a fixture for us like Brees in New Orleans, he'll be here 7/8 years. Kirk stays in tremendous shape, he doesn't run around that much, he's got a quick release & I do believe Macc would have no choice but to use assets (FA money & the draft) to protect him. 

* I think the exciting alternative in this new NFL is a guy like Lamar Jackson. We'll all find out soon enough who's right & who's wrong about him. I think when a prototypical QB like Josh McCown, a clone like Micheal Vick, two polar opposites praise a guys continued development and believe he has the it factor to succeed in the NFL you have to take notice. McCown isn't a great QB, but he's always been admired for his intelligence. Micheal Vicks a stupid mofo but always had an ego so when he says, this guy is more advanced than I was it means something. Just my opinion, that people who are trashing this kid as a Kordell Stewart type are completely off base in that opinion. It will play out over the next 5 years in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Well, the Bills did make the playoffs while we watched from home. Hey, like I've said numerous times, I'm 100% Cousins first, it's a f*cking no brainer, and he'll be a fixture for us like Brees in New Orleans, he'll be here 7/8 years. Kirk stays in tremendous shape, he doesn't run around that much, he's got a quick release & I do believe Macc would have no choice but to use assets (FA money & the draft) to protect him. 

* I think the exciting alternative in this new NFL is a guy like Lamar Jackson. We'll all find out soon enough who's right & who's wrong about him. I think when a prototypical QB like Josh McCown, a clone like Micheal Vick, two polar opposites praise a guys continued development and believe he has the it factor to succeed in the NFL you have to take notice. McCown isn't a great QB, but he's always been admired for his intelligence. Micheal Vicks a stupid mofo but always had an ego so when he says, this guy is more advanced than I was it means something. Just my opinion, that people who are trashing this kid as a Kordell Stewart type are completely off base in that opinion. It will play out over the next 5 years in the NFL.

Nothing wrong with anything you've said.

I simply don't believe the "Athletic running QB who can't really throw NFL-level passes yet" is the future of the league.

If Jackson was Jackson, with Mayfield's accuracy.....we'd be having a different conversation.

I'm not impressed by athletes.  The world is full of athletic freaks.  There are scores of amazing, spectacular athletes.....who can't play NFL QB.

So yes, I'd pass on Jackson, and in doing so I might be proven wrong one day. 

But I believe in classic pocket passers, with strong arms, and spectacular accuracy, brains, leadership and decision making > athletes.

Personally, I wish Mayfield was 2-3 inches taller.  Then we're not having this debate tbqh.

Jackson versus Vick. I understand its apples to oranges, different time, different conference etc.

Jackson has a slightly higher completion ratio than Vick, a significantly better touchdown to interception ratio, three years of starting college football instead of Vick's two years. It's hard to argue with Vick's assertion that Jackson has the edge leaving school. They are both slightly built and unless Jackson curtails some of the qualities that make him great, he will get hurt repeatedly as Vick did.

In a concussion aware football world, I believe the game is changing but who knows? Thats the beauty of the draft, Lamar Jackson has an opportunity to prove the doubters wrong with the right coaching staff, a year or three from now.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nothing wrong with anything you've said.

I simply don't believe the "Athletic running QB who can't really throw NFL-level passes yet" is the future of the league.

If Jackson was Jackson, with Mayfield's accuracy.....we'd be having a different conversation.

I'm not impressed by athletes.  The world is full of athletic freaks.  There are scores of amazing, spectacular athletes.....who can't play NFL QB.

So yes, I'd pass on Jackson, and in doing so I might be proven wrong one day. 

But I believe in classic pocket passers, with strong arms, and spectacular accuracy, brains, leadership and decision making > athletes.

Personally, I wish Mayfield was 2-3 inches taller.  Then we're not having this debate tbqh.

Do you think all Jackson does is look to run? He’s constantly looking downfield to throw, I feel he uses his athleticism to move around the pocket and buy time more so then to just take off and run wild. He’s not just an “athlete”. 

I really think we’ll regret passing on him if it comes down to it. 

On 2/23/2018 at 10:06 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cousins and Jackson are completely opposite QBs. Not to mention, this team has plenty of holes and we need to use those 2nd round picks to address CB/RB/OL and not backup QB. 

right.  imo they should take  a qb but it should in the 3rd round or higher.  maybe a guy like lauletta, falk, or rudolph.  if they build a team for cousins they need to get a cousin type of qb not a wr.

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I really think we’ll regret passing on him if it comes down to it. 

Some folks say about Darnold.

Some folks say about Rosen.

Some folks say about Allen.

Some folks say about Mayfield.

Some folks say about Rudolph.

Some folks say about Falk.

Some folks say about Jackson.

Etc.

Seems this draft, more than any I can recall, has split folks into about a dozen camps when it comes to "which QB to draft".

That worries me.  They're not ALL future all-pro QB's, obviously.

If it makes you feel better, we haven't passed on anyone yet.  We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Personally, I think Macc busts on wooing Cousins.  Total fail.

Then we look draft, and the guy who drafted Petty and Hack and signed Fitz and McCown will make the pick.

You tell me how you feel about that, lol.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:35 AM, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, you can’t do it because Cousins would have aneurysm. On the other hand, it’d be smart from a PR perspective because, after watching Cousins for six games, Jets fans will want to know what’s next.

Brutal, but probably spot on.

On 2/24/2018 at 11:24 AM, Gangrene said:

Jackson versus Vick. I understand its apples to oranges, different time, different conference etc.

Jackson has a slightly higher completion ratio than Vick, a significantly better touchdown to interception ratio, three years of starting college football instead of Vick's two years. It's hard to argue with Vick's assertion that Jackson has the edge leaving school. They are both slightly built and unless Jackson curtails some of the qualities that make him great, he will get hurt repeatedly as Vick did.

In a concussion aware football world, I believe the game is changing but who knows? Thats the beauty of the draft, Lamar Jackson has an opportunity to prove the doubters wrong with the right coaching staff, a year or three from now.

Vick was way faster coming out of college.   I think Lamar’s ceiling is Tyrod Taylor or what Deshaun Watson was last year which is fine I’d definitely take that

Archived