Giants trade JPP

T0mShane

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaints have all sorts of options to go trade down a couple of picks and still get a good player  take QB at 2 or barkley or Chubb at two. Giant historical s built on defense might lean on Chubb

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Giants want him. Can get him at 4. Cleveland takes Barkley at 1 and trades from 4 to 2 to get QB?

Seems far fetched 

You have no idea who the Giants want. All reports are that Chubb is a 43DE unless you want to make a stretch. He's not a "freak" athlete either.  

Giants have a 37 year old QB who is old and on a steady decline. They have a 3rd round QB from last year who obviously wasn't thought of very highly otherwise would have went sooner. They have the 2nd pick in a draft year where 4 QBs can go top 10. 

So that means the Giants are passing on a QB?

If they do that says they are dedicated to Davis Webb because you can't say they can get a QB another year. Which also means that they feel Webb, a 3rd rounder last season, is better than these 4 QBs. If true that is a scary thought.

I just don't see how anyone thinks the Giants don't take a QB. Makes zero sense.

47 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've said for months, they can't trade Eli. He's not good and his contract is atrocious. No one wants him. This wasn't a conscious decision by the Giants. Eli was overrated when he was young, now he's just an old turn over machine.

He's basically a high priced version of mccown, tyrod, mccarron, Keenum...

The only question that's relevant to us is whether the giants are high on Davis Webb or willing to ride with Eli and try to build an elite team around him with guys like Barkley, Odell, engram, Shepard...

They can just cut him after this yr I believe 

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Giants have a 37 year old QB who is old and on a steady decline. They have a 3rd round QB from last year who obviously wasn't thought of very highly otherwise would have went sooner. They have the 2nd pick in a draft year where 4 QBs can go top 10. 

So that means the Giants are passing on a QB?

If they do that says they are dedicated to Davis Webb because you can't say they can get a QB another year. Which also means that they feel Webb, a 3rd rounder last season, is better than these 4 QBs. If true that is a scary thought.

I just don't see how anyone thinks the Giants don't take a QB. Makes zero sense.

The giants may think they won’t have a problem getting a quality FA qb to come to them, unlike the jets. Whenever that is. They had maybe 1 the worst OL in nfl, with nobody to throw to with injures. I don’t think they are ready to give up on Eli yet. They will get him actual support first and see..

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, it very well could....if they think they can win one more with Eli.  They may also still want a shot at a QB who can groom for 1-2 years and bide their time.

Yeah, I’m still of the belief they stay out and take Rosen.

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree that a drop from two to twelve is a lot, but when it’s a drop from two to 12 and 22 and 55 and 56, then it’s a different deal altogether. 

But the logic of the Giants trading that far down does not make sense. If you do so, you are basically saying we are in rebuild mode & need these extra picks to fill needs.

What is usually the #1 need for a franchise that is rebuilding? A QB. If the Giants truly are going to rebuild they won't trade the pick & will sit pretty & pick 1 of Rosen Allen Dnarold.

3 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

But the logic of the Giants trading that far down does not make sense. If you do so, you are basically saying we are in rebuild mode & need these extra picks to fill needs.

What is usually the #1 need for a franchise that is rebuilding? A QB. If the Giants truly are going to rebuild they won't trade the pick & will sit pretty & pick 1 of Rosen Allen Dnarold.

I think a large part of the reason they’d take a pass on a QB in the first place is that they think Davis Webb can play, which isn’t out of the question. I’d assume if Shurmur signs off on Webb, then why not trade down?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Puts Bradley Chubb in play at #2.

not necessarily.  but if they want him they should trade down to 5, because colts will take him at 6.  if chubb is the pick, then watch denver move up to 2 and take Allen or Rosen

With each passing day, I'm more and more convinced that if the Giants are NOT taking a QB at #2, their most likely trade partner is the Jets because they can get an extra pick AND still guarantee they get the player they want.  Trading down to #5 or higher or even out of the top 10 doesn't guarantee them any particular player, even if they are stockpiling picks.  Guaranteed to get the player you want AND a free pick is a win win, ZERO RISK proposition for the GM. If the Jets are game, it would be very tough for the Giants to turn that down.

The Giants would be epic fools to not take a QB unless they get a can't refuse deal from a team like Buffalo.

I've said it before, how often does a team find it self picking top 2 when good QBs are in the draft and you do not have to trade up.  The jets have stunk for years and can't even get into a top two position in a draft.  By passing NOW on a QB they can add multiple further high picks when they have to try and trade up to get their guy.

Eli is 37 and sliding.  He is totally one dimensional.  One reason their oline gets singled out for being so bad?  The QB turtles as soon as there is sack pressure.

Davis Webb just stinks.  The new gm has zero loyalty to him. 

The pick at #2 will be a QB, either the giants or a team they trade it to.

35 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The giants may think they won’t have a problem getting a quality FA qb to come to them, unlike the jets. Whenever that is. They had maybe 1 the worst OL in nfl, with nobody to throw to with injures. I don’t think they are ready to give up on Eli yet. They will get him actual support first and see..

I don't see how this is a viable option. Even if you believe in Eli he is 37 years old. The Giants are going to rely on free agency where there is no idea who will be available and how unlikely a franchise QB hits the open market?

Honestly I see a lot of Jet fans trying to formulate scenarios that would work in the Jets favor. Bottom line, franchise QB is more important than a stud RB or Edge. 

7 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I don't see how this is a viable option. Even if you believe in Eli he is 37 years old. The Giants are going to rely on free agency where there is no idea who will be available and how unlikely a franchise QB hits the open market?

Honestly I see a lot of Jet fans trying to formulate scenarios that would work in the Jets favor. Bottom line, franchise QB is more important than a stud RB or Edge. 

Agree 100%. But very often these qbs have a high fail rate. Or much higher fail rate than the rb, and definitely Olineman coming out. So you can be like the jets and piss away high draft picks for qbs Who don’t make it, or fill your roster with players who are a MUCH surer thing. Then go find a Keenum, Smith,foles, ect Who are established. That a lot of these “ franchise qbs “ end up settling to be anyway. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yes.  I believe so.  There is a lot of talk surfacing right now that Chubb is considered a better prospect than Garrett last year.

I have no idea which way it will go, but I think people undersell how far a drop 2-12 is, regardless of what else you get.

Just my 2 cents.

But 4 to 12 makes way more sense especially when you already have the top pick.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree that a drop from two to twelve is a lot, but when it’s a drop from two to 12 and 22 and 55 and 56, then it’s a different deal altogether. 

Not nearly enough to move down to 12 with this QB crop... you would at least have to add next years first and possibly second, and 65 might be in play as well

19 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

With each passing day, I'm more and more convinced that if the Giants are NOT taking a QB at #2, their most likely trade partner is the Jets because they can get an extra pick AND still guarantee they get the player they want.  Trading down to #5 or higher or even out of the top 10 doesn't guarantee them any particular player, even if they are stockpiling picks.  Guaranteed to get the player you want AND a free pick is a win win, ZERO RISK proposition for the GM. If the Jets are game, it would be very tough for the Giants to turn that down.

What exactly are we giving up? 

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Giants would be epic fools to not take a QB unless they get a can't refuse deal from a team like Buffalo.

I've said it before, how often does a team find it self picking top 2 when good QBs are in the draft and you do not have to trade up.  The jets have stunk for years and can't even get into a top two position in a draft.  By passing NOW on a QB they can add multiple further high picks when they have to try and trade up to get their guy.

Eli is 37 and sliding.  He is totally one dimensional.  One reason their oline gets singled out for being so bad?  The QB turtles as soon as there is sack pressure.

Davis Webb just stinks.  The new gm has zero loyalty to him. 

The pick at #2 will be a QB, either the giants or a team they trade it to.

But they could easily take Rudolph or falk later in 2nd or 3rd rounds that need to sit a few years, even Jackson with later first round that they pick up. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Agree 100%. But very often these qbs have a high fail rate. Or much higher fail rate than the rb, and definitely Olineman coming out. So you can be like the jets and piss away high draft picks for qbs Who don’t make it, or fill your roster with players who are a MUCH surer thing. Then go find a Keenum, Smith,foles, ect Who are established. That a lot of these “ franchise qbs “ end up settling to be anyway. 

So why is that not the Jets strategy. Or it was last year and they still don' t have a framchise guy. Why move up to 3? Why not stay at 6 and pick the safer pick? 

Because nothing is more important than getting a franchise qb. And the Giants need one. Because Eli is 37. Because you don't plan to pick 2 again. Because 4 are going very high. 

Unless Davis Webb is the guy and the Giants view A 3rd rounder last year as a better QB than the 4 this year

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

But they could easily take Rudolph or falk later in 2nd or 3rd rounds that need to sit a few years, even Jackson with later first round that they pick up. 

Just like how the jets easily too hackenburg rather than watson or mahommes.

There is a huge gap between the top few guys in this draft and later on. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

i want nothing to do with rudolph...he did not impress me at all in his college games. i'd rather take a shot with faulk.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes there is a huge gap right now but there is belief that Jackson could still be the best of the bunch and Rudolph and Falk could end up being great learning under a "HOF" type QB. This is a great QB draft and there will most likely be a QB not drafted in the top 10 to turn into an NFL QB.  With the draft haul the Giants can get and not being a team that needs a QB this year, I don't see how you pass that up.

Just now, RESNewYork said:

So why is that not the Jets strategy. Or it was last year and they still don' t have a framchise guy. Why move up to 3? Why not stay at 6 and pick the safer pick? 

Because nothing is more important than getting a franchise qb. And the Giants need one. Because Eli is 37. Because you don't plan to pick 2 again. Because 4 are going very high. 

Unless Davis Webb is the guy and the Giants view A 3rd rounder last year as a better QB than the 4 this year

This was plan B. And plan A ( signing a established cousins ) was much more desired then plan B. The jets tried very hard for cousins. There would be no high picks wasted for a guy we would “hope could one day “ play as well as Kirk cousins. But it’s hard to attract a qb to a team who doesn’t care about offense much. So that is why Mac knows he has to draft a qb. Plus I think gettleman wants to build a strong OL, support cast “ before “ he goes worrying about who is going to replace Eli eventually. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This was plan B. And plan A ( signing a established cousins ) was much more desired then plan B. The jets tried very hard for cousins. There would be no high picks wasted for a guy we would “hope could one day “ play as well as Kirk cousins. But it’s hard to attract a qb to a team who doesn’t care about offense much. So that is why Mac knows he has to draft a qb. Plus I think gettleman wants to build a strong OL, support cast “ before “ he goes worrying about who is going to replace Eli eventually. 

This is why a trade back to 5 makes sense for both teams... Denver gets a QB which they need and Giants Get Nelson and some draft picks.

Giants will still either:

1. Take a QB.

2. Take a BOATLOAD of Picks to Trade Down.

I see no way the Giants, sitting where they are in this draft, select a pass rusher or RB or the like.  As good as those kids might be, the value just isn;t there vs. either a Franchise QB replacement for Manning or half a draft's worth of pick compensation.

P.S. I don't think the Jets have enough left in draft picks to beat out what the Giants can get from say, Buffalo.  The Giants would/should be looking at 3x 1st Round Picks+ from what I've heard.

Archived