After Off-Season of Talk and Tweets, Jets Need Results From Adams

IMG_5878.jpg

It’s been an awfully busy off-season for Jets safety Jamal Adams who has been making the rounds on television, radio and twitter to make some fairly bold proclamations in regards to both himself and the Jets as he heads toward his second pro season.

There’s no denying that Adams had some ups and downs throughout the course of his rookie year, but he did flash the ability that the Jets saw on film, leading them to take him with the sixth overall pick in the 2017 draft.

Adams spent his fair share of time around the line of scrimmage as a rookie, leading the casual fan to continue the preposterous claim that Adams is merely a “box safety”, an observation that is based in fallacy, not reality.  In fact, according to profootballfocus.com, Adams lined up at slot corner, left corner, right corner and free safety on 437 snaps.  Textbook box safety snap counts in the minds of some, apparently.

However, while showing versatility was a positive sign, Adams has to do more than that in 2018 as a player who commanded a premium draft slot who now has a year under his belt.

The irony of the fact that the highlight video posted above starts off with almost a full minute of talking, not playing, should be lost on no one, as Adams’ bold predictions this off-season have been far bigger than the results his rookie season yielded.

In fact, Adams recently reiterated a prediction he made earlier this off-season, saying he doesn’t plan on ever missing out on another Pro Bowl bid after failing to make it this season.  While Jets fans would be elated if the prediction came to fruition, it’s a bold claim for a player who failed to register an interception in his first season and struggled at times in coverage.

Not only has Adams predicted greatness for years to come, but he’s embracing a new moniker that looks to be making the rounds on the internet as the, #President.

While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a young player brimming with confidence, it’s bound to rub some fans the wrong way that after one season in the league on a 5-11 team and few game changing plays, Adams is opting to let his mouth do his talking through the media, both traditional and social, instead of his play on the field.

Even after his zero interception rookie season, Adams took to twitter to roast new division rival signal caller Josh Allen, saying he couldn’t wait to pick him off when the Jets and Bills face off.

As the saying goes, “talk is cheap”, and up until now, Adams’ talk has outpaced his words.  However, that could all change in September when the lights come on.  Once Adams straps on the helmet, Jets fans should be hoping that every word of his predictions prove to be prophetic.  There is no denying that Adams has all of the qualities you look for in a great player and leader.  At this point, it’s going to be about proving it on the field, instead of preaching it online.

The post After Off-Season of Talk and Tweets, Jets Need Results From Adams appeared first on NY Jets News.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BXnunuwDb_Q

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

I notice the same thing about the minute of talk before I read it.  

The fans like him and are supportive,and want him and the team to do well.  It is time for Adams to deliver.  

The challenge for Bowles is that one of Adams or Lee need to be able to cover a TE.  At this point neither of them can, so one can’t hide the other.  

• Upvote 2

He played edge rusher, slot corner and even outside corner. He made the all rookie team. He was calling out the offense plays in minicamp and is the leader of the defense 

Safety: Jamal Adams, New York Jets

Draft position: Round 1, NO. 6 overall.

Adams started all 16 games and finished with 83 tackles, two sacks and six passes defensed. He's going to be a Pro Bowler for many years to come.

Jets fans are weird 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Adams spent his fair share of time around the line of scrimmage as a rookie, leading the casual fan to continue the preposterous claim that Adams is merely a “box safety”, an observation that is based in fallacy, not reality.  In fact, according to profootballfocus.com, Adams lined up at slot corner, left corner, right corner and free safety on 437 snaps.  Textbook box safety snap counts in the minds of some, apparently.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

He played edge rusher, slot corner and even outside corner. 

The argument isn’t that he literally only plays in the box. It’s that playing in the box is the only thing he’s good at, which is not good for a guy picked sixth overall.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes. I’m weird. I wanted the safety picked at number six overall to be a great safety. 

Jets fans are weird because they seem to hate praise, confidence and high expectations above all else and are tougher on their own players than outside observers. 

My nephew is a bills fan and loves Adams and wanted him to fall to them desperately. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes. I’m weird. I wanted the safety picked at number six overall to be a great safety. 

Because the Jets now have at least 2 CBs who can cover, my prediction is that Adams has a much better year.  

They want to have him be a hybrid S/LB who spends most of him time within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  It is ok if he blows coverage if he is not asked to cover someone he can’t cover.  

Was more than 1/2 his highlight film him talking or tackling RBs?

52 minutes ago, JetNation said:

“Adams spent a lot of time at the Line of Scrimmage but had some snaps at free safety and nickel corner where he was entirely overmatched and embarrassingly ineffective. Also, hater-ass fans calling him a box safety just because he’s only good in the box are dum.”

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Jets fans are weird because they seem to hate praise, confidence and high expectations above all else and are tougher on their own players than outside observers. 

My nephew is a bills fan and loves Adams and wanted him to fall to them desperately. 

No one who’s actually good, talks about how good they are like El Presidente...

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

He played edge rusher, slot corner and even outside corner. He made the all rookie team. He was calling out the offense plays in minicamp and is the leader of the defense 

Safety: Jamal Adams, New York Jets

Draft position: Round 1, NO. 6 overall.

Adams started all 16 games and finished with 83 tackles, two sacks and six passes defensed. He's going to be a Pro Bowler for many years to come.

Jets fans are weird 

Kony ealy had one more int and one less pass defended than he did.  He played well as a box safety or LB, he made few impact plays.  You do not draft a fing player 6th overall to be a run stopping hybrid lb.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Kony ealy had one more int and one less pass defended than he did.  He played well as a box safety or LB, he made few impact plays.  You do not draft a fing player 6th overall to be a run stopping hybrid lb.

Mac would say “ but I’m all about BPA baby! It doesn’t matter what position the player plays “ ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

He was a f*cking rookie, playing behind a Dline bottom 5 in sacks, with no 2nd CB worth a sh*t, a tiny LB that you all hate & say is a bust, and made the all rookie team.

Jet fans are a joke! Show me the last GREAT ROOKIE defensive player the Jets have had the last 40 years! Even the great Ray Lewis had his worst year when the Ravens lost Siragusa & Ngata to injury & they couldn't keep olineman out of his face. 

Team game folks. After the way the Jets drafted in the Rex years, you should be happy Adams can actually PLAY FOOTBALL in the NFL, unlike Calvin Pryor. 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

My 22 year old son loves him too. Was excited when we drafted him. Tells me how great he will be one day . Ahhh to be young again. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Confidence is one thing but selfglorification is quite another. We all want the guy to do well, at least I do, but hearing him spout on and on about how good he is gets old. Let your play do the talking. Calling yourself "The President" is ridiculous. So is giving a nickname to yourself. I applaud confidence but loathe fanfaronade of this type. He has accomplished some things but being the leader of a defense on a 5-11 team isn't something to crow about. How about he actually lives up to his own self hyped image instead of just talking about it? I'll give credit where credit is due but when you crow about how good your average play is you have to call him out. If he thinks he is playing at a "great level" but is clearly just average how will he get to that level if he thinks he is already there?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

that is so when the "praise" does not match the performance on the field.  False praise pisses people off and much of the praise for Adams is unwarranted thus far.

Much more bark than bite from Adams so far.  Sure hope that changes.  In a hurry.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

He was a f*cking rookie, playing behind a Dline bottom 5 in sacks, with no 2nd CB worth a sh*t, a tiny LB that you all hate & say is a bust, and made the all rookie team.

Jet fans are a joke! Show me the last GREAT ROOKIE defensive player the Jets have had the last 40 years! Even the great Ray Lewis had his worst year when the Ravens lost Siragusa & Ngata to injury & they couldn't keep olineman out of his face. 

Team game folks. After the way the Jets drafted in the Rex years, you should be happy Adams can actually PLAY FOOTBALL in the NFL, unlike Calvin Pryor. 

Neverthelss, the positional value was just not there, but I'm rooting for him.  He needs to STFU until he plays better.  That is what is pissing people off.  If he had kept his big mouth shut, the only complaint most people would have is drafting a SS at #6.  Basically, Jamall brings all this criticism on himself.  In that regard, he's just not acting smart, IMO.  I want him to succeed and help lead us to a championship.  That is done on the field.  Not via the mouth and keyboard.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

John Abraham and Shaun Ellis. 

DF035D06-1FC0-4D7B-B1C4-9481527C0AA2.jpeg

John Abraham played six games. Sure he had 4 sacks but then he was hurt LIKE ALWAYS when he played for the Jets (That's not a GREAT rookie season). Ellis had 8 & 1/2 sacks, very good year, but GREAT? 

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

John Abraham played six games. Sure he had 4 sacks but then he was hurt LIKE ALWAYS when he played for the Jets (That's not a GREAT rookie season). Ellis had 8 & 1/2 sacks, very good year, but GREAT? 

Ellis had a half sack more than Adams gave up TDs, so yep