ESPN : Jets projected to have second-fewest wins in 2018 ~ ~ ~

kelly

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Really depends on how quickly they move to Darnold.  If Sam starts from Day 1 - he'll struggle (as almost all rookies) and it's possible to be on the bottom...

with that said, the defense should be good enough to win a few games with little help from the offense and Sam is sure to improve.

Tough to see this team winning less than 6 games.

Agreed. With Mo Wilk gone at least we'll have someone giving a full effort. My biggest worry on D is Skrine. Hopefully he's been put on notice.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I keep waiting for the defense to win any games at all.  Bowles as a D centric coach has BADLY underachieved.  the only thing saving him has been the relative overacheivement of the offense at times (including the 1st fitz year)

Agreed.  This defense still doesn’t have a pass rusher and we’ve seen Bowles do absolutely nothing to generate one.  Add to the fact that there really isn’t a difference maker on offense right now, I’m not sure how you could reasonably expect more than 7 wins.  

Jets will start 5-1 if they shock the Lions in the opener. 4-2 if they lose opener. They'll do just enough to excite everyone as an up & comer in the AFC East.

This is the year they sweep Bills & Fins and split with the Pats taking the home game. That's 5 wins right there. I'm trying to figure out how Bills and Fins score enough against us. Kenny Stills? The Bills Oline will be terrible! We chased the sh*t out of Taylor last year, MccArron is a statue.

Well what can you say? Do I think they regress? If Darnold starts week 1 I could see them doing just that. Right now its hard to say but anywhere from 4-7 wins is my guess. Maybe they steal one or two more but thats if Teddy is ready. If its McCown and then Darnold than 6 wins is the ceiling. I will wait to see them in TC and the pre-season before I can comment on more.

We were projected to be the worst team last season. We shattered those projections. Some Mac supporters will tell you those 5 wins were nothing short of a SB victory. Technically, yes since a SB victory is simply one victory if you ignore everything else. So yeah, we ‘shatteted’ The expectations last year. 

48 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well what can you say? Do I think they regress? If Darnold starts week 1 I could see them doing just that. Right now its hard to say but anywhere from 4-7 wins is my guess. Maybe they steal one or two more but thats if Teddy is ready. If its McCown and then Darnold than 6 wins is the ceiling. I will wait to see them in TC and the pre-season before I can comment on more.

I see your logic but there were about 3 games last year that we should have/ would have won with a break here or there. I think this years Jets edition is greatly improved over last years thus I can see an 8 win season or better.

3 hours ago, jmat321 said:

It’s the damn Jets.  Will probably win 8 games with Bridgewater being the CBPOY, setting up another Fitz-like off-season debate on whether to give him big bucks or move on to Darnold.

The best case scenario for the Jets if Darnold isn't ready right away is for Bridgewater to start and play real well.  They have enough money to tag and trade him in the off-season and pick up a couple of premium picks in the process.

20 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The best case scenario for the Jets if Darnold isn't ready right away is for Bridgewater to start and play real well.  They have enough money to tag and trade him in the off-season and pick up a couple of premium picks in the process.

Who the **** is going to give up a "couple of premium picks" for the chance to pay Teddy Bridgewater $25M+ per year? 

There is a reason that Cousins wasn't traded in 2017, or tagged in 2018.  There is a reason Garoppolo was traded, instead of tagged. 

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Hey Ive been waiting years for Mac to prove me wrong ? even though we traded a 4th to pick shell in the 5th, that doesn’t mean we used a 4th rounder on shell?‍♂️?

I know you and I have a good time and tease each other about this but I'm with you TOTALLY on using a 1st or 2nd round on a LT. Crappo just remembered we don't have a 2nd next year. Anyway yes let's get someone in here like a Mangold or a Brick who you can just plug in a forget about him for the next 8-9 years. Don't think we'll find him in the 5th round or later. 

57 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Jets will go 10-6. This is one of those years.

This would NOT surprise me in the least. Like I've been saying we could have easily been 8-8 with a little luck or a right bounce here or there last year. From 8-8 to 10-6 is only 2 games. Every year some team does it. Why not us ?  We're overdue !

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets will start 5-1 if they shock the Lions in the opener. 4-2 if they lose opener. They'll do just enough to excite everyone as an up & comer in the AFC East.

This is the year they sweep Bills & Fins and split with the Pats taking the home game. That's 5 wins right there. I'm trying to figure out how Bills and Fins score enough against us. Kenny Stills? The Bills Oline will be terrible! We chased the sh*t out of Taylor last year, MccArron is a statue.

Shock seems like a very strong word.  This is still the Lions we're talking about here.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who the **** is going to give up a "couple of premium picks" for the chance to pay Teddy Bridgewater $25M+ per year? 

There is a reason that Cousins wasn't traded in 2017, or tagged in 2018.  There is a reason Garoppolo was traded, instead of tagged. 

First of all your argument makes no sense. Second of all calm the f*ck down.

Who the f*ck wouldn't give up 2 premium picks for a 25 year old QB coming off a good year? The Browns gave up the 1st pick in the 2nd round for Taylor, the 49ers gave up a 2nd round pick for Garoppalo who barely played. Garoppolo wasn't tagged bc the Pats couldn't afford to tag him with Brady still under contract. Then the 49ers paid him $27 million a year. The Jets have $110 million in cap space next year. You don't think they could afford to tag Bridgewater off a good year and take that risk? This is all predicated on him having a good year obviously. If he starts all year, puts up 3500 yards and 20 TD's and proves himself to be healthy there will be a line of teams trying to trade for him and the Jets would be stupid to not tag him in that scenario and try to get whatever they could for him. That was the point I made.

I think they’ll be right around where they were last year. Which is fine. The offensive line is a huge question mark, there is no pass rush, and Todd Bowles is still the coach (that costs the Jets at minimum two games a year). This year is about how Darnold grows as a player and keeping him healthy and upright. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

First of all your argument makes no sense. Second of all calm the f*ck down.

Who the f*ck wouldn't give up 2 premium picks for a 25 year old QB coming off a good year? The Browns gave up the 1st pick in the 2nd round for Taylor, the 49ers gave up a 2nd round pick for Garoppalo who barely played. Garoppolo wasn't tagged bc the Pats couldn't afford to tag him with Brady still under contract. Then the 49ers paid him $27 million a year. The Jets have $110 million in cap space next year. You don't think they could afford to tag Bridgewater off a good year and take that risk? This is all predicated on him having a good year obviously. If he starts all year, puts up 3500 yards and 20 TD's and proves himself to be healthy there will be a line of teams trying to trade for him and the Jets would be stupid to not tag him in that scenario and try to get whatever they could for him. That was the point I made.

Do these other teams have $110M in cap room too? Does Taylor make $27M a year? Is a 2nd round pick, multiple premium picks?  Will a player born November 10 1992 be a "25 year old QB" in March of 2019?

This is all predicated on the season being a complete failure.  If Bridgewater starts all year they won't know about Darnold and won't be able to count on him for 2019.

What cracks me up about low expectations is that we have fans here who act like this new NFL we watch each Sunday still has DOMINATING teams, lol. It can't be further from the truth. The Patriots have been the only team who has consistently won year after year. The Jets ADDED players like Trumaine Johnson & moved Clairborne to the #2 CB, replaced a glue horse in Forte with Crowell who has averaged 4.2 YPC for the lowly Browns, replaced a horrible Wesley Johnson with Long at Center, are getting Quincy Enunwa back, have 2 starting safeties heading into their sophomore years, have at least 6/7 players coming back from injury to add depth to the team. 

Meanwhile, the Bills have lost 3/4 of their Oline, the Dolphins lost their BEST offensive player (Landry) and their BEST defensive player (Suh) that our new Center will not have to deal with when we play the Fins this year. 

Ive said this before, if Bridgewater is in fact 100% healthy & gets Bates offense down, he'll be our starting QB. His skill set is perfect for the WCO as he's more accurate in the short quick passing game than McCown. The Jets are the only team in the AFC East this year that could weather an injury at QB (when is the last time we could say that?). 

So overall the NFL just isn't that great so depending on how the ball bounces, a little luck, staying healthy, the Jets could be anywhere from 7 to 9 wins. 

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The greatness of Jets fandom is that the organization has successfully convinced them that seven wins in the fourth year of a rebuild is a milestone achievement. 

We only won 5 games in the 4th year of our current rebuild.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:33 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Jets won 5 games last year. The Roster is improved. They have one of the easiest schedules. 

The "experts" love to pile on the Jets when they are down. 

It's not an "easy" schedule.

Archived