Mack traded to Bears

JetsFanatic

Just now, joebabyny said:

It isn’t so much what he is worth, it’s that the jets need other things, and 2 firsts and that cash needs to be allocated toward building around our QB. If the O-like were solid or at least decent and we had our 2nd next year, then ok maybe we talk Mack, but we have neither of those. 

Mack is a hall of fame talent. You aren’t going to find a game changer like him in draft or free agency. 

On the surface I agree with you, but you do run the risk of drafting busts and spending the cap space on mediocrity. 

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wow, that’s a lot. This should be a laughable amount to surrender on paper.

If we use our next 2 first round picks on a guard and a TE (or another DE/DT/MLB), and trying again to sign Suh and meh WRs at $14m apiece, and extending Kearse at $10m per, many will come back to rethink their current elation. 

You had to string 7 ifs together to make this bad for Maccagnan ???

10 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Wow J Gruden better hit on those draft picks because the Raiders fan base will turn on him real quick if this doesn't work out.    I expect the Raiders to sign CB B Breeland with the money they now have trading K Mack.

Who cares?  He’s got like a 10 year deal, no?  He can do whatever he wants free of consequence.

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm seeing a lot of focus on Mack's age.  The facts suggest this isn't such a concern.

Reggie White had 16 sacks in his last season when he was 36 years old.  Bruce Smith had 9 sacks when he was 39 years old!  Kevin Greene had 15 sacks at age 36 and 12 sacks at age 37.  The list goes on.  Dominant pass rushers can still dominate into their mid-30s.  

And Mack isn't close to any of those guys.  He had 15 sacks once 3 years ago.  Very good player, but he's not Reggie White.

Just now, Larz said:

You had to string 7 ifs together to make this bad for Maccagnan ???

I’m using his similar past history to predict future events. Crazy, right? 

What it means is he has to hit - really hit - on 2 first round picks, and they need to hit big while under their rookie contracts. He should be able to do this, and make this trade look foolish for the Jets in hindsight.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I was willing to hand over a 1st and 3rd. That’s not minimal compensation. It’s what was given for Revis.

That’s max offer that I posted as well. I just didn’t want to mortgage more future and that was limit.

Then I thought about it and didn’t even want to do that. I want to see a good coaching performance before we give any more  major commitment in resources to this regime. 

I am fine with trading 3rd rounder or something for a mid grade pass rusher as that is not a major commitment that mortgages the future. Mac and Bowles already used that card when they traded up to get Darnold. Time to make do and show something or change coaches. 

Jets fans "We have a gaziilon dollars in cap space so we can solve our rush and ol problems next year!"

Best edge rusher in football comes available, "We can't use the cap space on him!"

I know that I would NEVER think about trading Lee and Adams for mack, those are the quality of our last two 1st round picks before darnold.

This is classic a bird in the hand (in this case one of the top 3 D players in the nfl) vs 2 in the bush.

I can see why the Jets did not make this move but dingle balls GM had better make damn good use of the next two 1st rounders.

25 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So it sounds like 2 picks, a player and probably a contract worth nearly 90 million guaranteed.  That's steep. 

I would have parted with 2020 1st rounder, and Leo Will, but with this years pass rushing draft talent being touted as the equivalent of the 2018 QB class, and the Jets starting a rookie QB with an average AT BEST roster with, or without Mack, and Bowles still the HC there is a better chance the Jets pick in the top 10 then make the playoffs, and I’d hate to see the Raiders using our say 8th overall pick, and pluck a edge rusher who becomes very successful on a rookie contract while the Jets have to hope they can attract enough free agents to fill the other OLB spot, replace McLendon, get a offensive play maker, or TWO, and possibly as many as 3 new starting O-Line including LT, and who knows maybe Lee needs to be replaced he hasn’t proven he is worth giving a guaranteed starting spot next season yet, oh, and the #2 CB position will need to be addressed, I see Nickerson as Skrine’s replacement at best, had hope for D Jones to possibly be ready to step in as that #2 starter next year, or maybe even this year if something happens to one of our starting CB’s (and for Christ sakes pay a veteran PR whatever unless one of the playmakers signed is a proven Punt Returner, ANYONE with a little vision can return Kick Offs I don’t understand why it’s so complicated with the Jets, they don’t even have to be a speedster as your looking for good field position for the most part the TD return is a bonus, someone like McGuire, Cannon, McBride, heck even Powell, Pryor, Stewart, or Enunwa can possibly do that job relatively successful with a good special teams coach/plan) because they have no pick in the first 2 rounds next year, and no 1st round pick the following year while paying Mack what will probably amount to about 23.5-25 million per year for 3-4 years of guaranteed money (he would be 31 in year 4).

Again IF this was next season, AND Darnold had 1 year under his belt, and it was obvious he wasn’t just the goods for the future, but obvious he is ready to be the goods in 2019, and the Jets got a blue chip OL, or offensive playmaker in the draft, and addressed the other via FA, and the Jets thought they were a K Mack away from contending by all means hand over 2020, and 2021’s 1st for a player of Mack’s abilities to go for it for the next 2-3 years, wouldn’t even bat an eye at the compensation (think basically the same situation the Jets were in after the 2009 season, and a guy like Mack was available right before the 2010 season I would have given up 2011, and 2012’s 1st rounder ++++ no Mo Wilk, no Coples, and if they gave up a 2nd instead of a player also so no S Hill, or heck they could take Wilson back also in that trade who cares, but not this year we don’t have that type of team).

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

What a dumb move by the raiders. Pay your superstars. 

Lincoln kennedy said Raiders were willing to pay K Mack 20 million per year, he wanted 23 . That extra 12-15 lifetime of contract is a big deal.( can mean losing a top player down the road) 

Very risky move, but the Raiders love the three young defense lineman they drafted this year. ( Pj Hall, Arden Key , and M Hurst- who all showed ability to get to the Qb. By freeing up 13.8 million I expect them to be able to sign B Breeland.( Raiders had him in a couple times already,  but didn't have the money to sign him) .

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

There are always good free agent offensive linemen available in FA keep talking out yer ass

Pass rushers never hit the free agent market

Keep talking out my ass? Getting a little aggressive there. 

I think we can just disagree with where those 2 firsts would be better served. I’d rather not play the part of used car buyer every 3 years looking for new olinemen, a position where great ones drafted high can last over a decade and are probably the best value positions on the team. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

Jets fans "We have a gaziilon dollars in cap space so we can solve our rush and ol problems next year!"

Best edge rusher in football comes available, "We can't use the cap space on him!"

I know that I would NEVER think about trading Lee and Adams for mack, those are the quality of our last two 1st round picks before darnold.

This is classic a bird in the hand (in this case one of the top 3 D players in the nfl) vs 2 in the bush.

I can see why the Jets did not make this move but dingle balls GM had better make damn good use of the next two 1st rounders.

What’s more appealing if you’re the prospective next head coach of the Jets: Darnold, Mack, no first rounder until 2021 and a skinny cap number in three years, or Darnold, a top five pick, and $90 mil in cap space to sign who you want? 

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And Mack isn't close to any of those guys.  He had 15 sacks once 3 years ago.  Very good player, but he's not Reggie White.

He is dominant enough in this version of the NFL to compare to White IMO, he was All Pro at 2 different positions the same season.

51 minutes ago, slats said:

I haven't been this happy since the Jets were outbid for Kirk Cousins' services. 

Correction:  The Jets weren't outbid.  The Jets were flat out rejected in favor of a lower bid.  But I get your point.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m using his similar past history to predict future events. Crazy, right? 

What it means is he has to hit - really hit - on 2 first round picks, and they need to hit big while under their rookie contracts. He should be able to do this, and make this trade look foolish for the Jets in hindsight.

Hey look on the brightside, Bowles would have put Mack on the inside and moved Williamson outside ???

13 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

Mack is a hall of fame talent. You aren’t going to find a game changer like him in draft or free agency. 

On the surface I agree with you, but you do run the risk of drafting busts and spending the cap space on mediocrity. 

Sure it’s always a possibility, but the rookie wage scale makes the gamble more palatable. Also, I would say the risk when going oline at the top of the draft is probably less than other positions. 

15 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

Umm ... where do you think Oakland found him?

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s more appealing if you’re the prospective next head coach of the Jets: Darnold, Mack, no first rounder until 2021 and a skinny cap number in three years, or Darnold, a top five pick, and $90 mil in cap space to sign who you want? 

Prepare to be disappointed.  Bowles is not going anywhere for about 2 years at least.  If the jets show any life at all this year and if darnold looks good he will be praised.

I'll wager we use one of those 1st rounders on an edge rusher anyway.

8 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

If the story is accurate and the compensation is correct, if we wake up this morning and hear the Jets have traded Lee, Adams and Jenkins for Mack, is anyone complaining?

Did we actually offer those players in a trade for Mac? Because if not and you are just using them as representatives of the picks dealt, then your correct hypothetical shouldbt be those players particularly but ANY players in the league that COULD have been drafted at those spots. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Prepare to be disappointed.  Bowles is not going anywhere for about 2 years at least.  If the jets show any life at all this year and if darnold looks good he will be praised.

I'll wager we use one of those 1st rounders on an edge rusher anyway.

I’m living inside my Heimerdinger Coup Theory/Fantasy, thank you. 

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.  This would have been nice for the Jets but let's not upset the apple cart of a great offseason by torpedoing our next two drafts completely.  We're not win-now....even with Mack here in 2018.  Several pieces still missing and Sam will need a year or two of experience.

Next year's 1st has to go to Edge or OLine.  No other way around it.  Target one of those positions and move up a little if you have to....like we targeted QB this year.

Archived