Jets Sign Davis Webb to Practice Squad

Jack Straw

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN 

Interesting wrinkle in Jets adding Davis Webb: Jeremy Bates was in line to be Webb’s personal QBs coach during pre-draft process before he was hired by the Jets two years ago, I’m told: 

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73 

Bowles says #Jets liked Davis Webb’s size and arm, so they signed him to the practice squad.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

This is what happens when you change regimes.......Webb means NOTHING to Gettleman and Schurmur. They had nothing to do w/drafting him

i guess so.  i thought the same thing but it still makes very little sense.  at the very least webb has more experience with his team mates than the journeyman.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Wow. This is hard to process because its usually the Jets making a stupid move like the Giants did in not drafting Darnold and then releasing Webb. Now the Jets have both Darnold and Webb? Are the tables turning? Is the shoe on the other foot?

Giants Fans right about now:

image.png

Truly is there anything sweeter than Giants Fans losing their sh*t?

yes, patsie fans and doltfin fans.

Based on What?  He was a 3rd round project, who hasn't played in the NFL yet.

Draft Analysis:

"Davis Webb's  got a live arm.  He drops it in the bucket.  Moves well enough, quick release, big arm.  He's one of the five QB's where you can make a case in this draft that they can start a game in the NFL and be a QB-----Mike Mayock

AFT ANALYSIS:

"Davis Webb's got a live arm. He drops it in the bucket. Moves well enough, quick release, big arm. He's one of the five quarterbacks where you can make a case in this draft that they can start a game in the NFL and be a quarterback." -- Mike Mayock

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"Davis Webb's got a live arm. He drops it in t

DRhe bucket. Moves well enough, quick release, big arm. He's one of the five quarterbacks where you can make a case in this draft that they can start a game in the NFL and be a quarterback." -- Mike Mayock

43 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm sure you're all about forging familiar relationships, Helen of Troy.

Doesn’t hurt, does it?  Young men across the country from home can lessen any home sickness/adjustment to a new place with a few familiar faces around them.  

I always think like a mom first, before anything else.

44 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN 

Interesting wrinkle in Jets adding Davis Webb: Jeremy Bates was in line to be Webb’s personal QBs coach during pre-draft process before he was hired by the Jets two years ago, I’m told: 

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73 

Bowles says #Jets liked Davis Webb’s size and arm, so they signed him to the practice squad.

Coach is not wrong, and hs mobility is not bad either .

11 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Keep in mind last year bowles said he wanted to be more involved in the defense and how that turned out.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

That is what worries me..Morton knew he was and idiot and obviously didn’t listen to Bowles about offense.. Bowles wants a conservative O, that is good if you have a lot of talent on O, and a dominate D that can hold “ conservative” leads. We don’t. I wish I could say I think they were just being conservative with the play calling this preseason to be easy on Sam. 

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Can a player say no if a team tries to add them to their 53?  I thought once a team adds a player from someone else's PS,  its on the PS team to put him on their 53 or lose him.  I didnt know the player can say no.

Of course the player can say no. They are being offered a contract, not drafted

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Are any of us really who we say we are?

Another difference between college and NFL message boards, I’m assuming....many of us know each other, tailgate together, attend recruiting dinners and university athletic department functions.  We’re a family.

I don’t hide behind a member name, always speak my mind and happy to defend my input face to face.  

My name is Linda.

1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Another difference between college and NFL message boards, I’m assuming....many of us know each other, tailgate together, attend recruiting dinners and university athletic department functions.  We’re a family.

I don’t hide behind a member name, always speak my mind and happy to defend my input face to face.  

My name is Linda.

My name is Salvatore. You can call me anything you like except late for dinner.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

It kind of is. Most teams don't pay any #3 QBs. They pay 2 QBs and taxi the third. I guess paying 3 is better than paying 4 like last year and it's good they freed up the roster spot but it's a worst case scenario. If Davis Webb is playing it's because the season is f--ked and they have to play out the string.  

They are under the floor right now, which is like 80% of the cap. They were under last year too. They have to either spend to 125% over the next two years or incur a huge fine. Moves, like trading Teddy and cutting Mo, don't help the problem.

So they make dumb little moves like paying McCown 10 mil or give Davis Webb a salary. These moves make the gap smaller but don't really improve the roster. 

Put it another way it's not the amount they are spending that bums me out. it's the allocation of resources. 

Where you getting your cash spending numbers from?  According to Over The Cap they are at a 1.16 cash to cap ratio which suggestes they have spent right up to the cap, just slightly over it actually.  

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Why does anyone care about the money?  We are talking about the difference between $600K and $125K for an NFL team to sign a 6'5, strong armed QB with a year of experience in the league and who 18 months ago was picked 87th overall.  That money is beyond meaningless for any team given the increases in the cap and the rookie scale, but is even more meaningless for a team like the Jets with $80+ million of space.

I dont know much about Webb but for a developmental player with his physical ability, "overpaying" to get him in our building for a year is an excellent move.

Not only do we have him in our building for a year, but he becomes an ERFA after the year, so if we want him back, no other team can sign him

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Good.

More depth with potential.

All I wanted after TB was traded.

Exactly.  Let's reset everyone here for a second...

2017: McCown, Hackenberg, Bryce Petty

2018: Sam Darnold, McCown, Davis Webb + a 3rd Round pick for trading Teddy Bridgewater

And people are upset with this why exactly?  Because a team that's tens of millions under the salary cap is paying $600K instead of $125K to a potential #2 QB???  Would anyone rather have kept Wolford from Wake Forest over Webb?

Paying extra $$$ to stash Webb on the PS for a year and then move him to the 53 next year as a backup is a potential genius move.  And, if it doesn't work out then we sign some other veteran to be a backup.  This gives the Jets a year to look at Webb and evaluate him, allows Bates to see how he can fit and if he'd be "good enough" to trust on the field in spot duty or as a backup.  It's not 1999....we're not a "win now" team that will lose it's Super Bowl opportunity if Darnold can't play for a while this year or possibly even next.

I'm 100% onboard with this move.  This is the complete opposite of what the Jets have done in the past with guys like Danny Woodhead coming to mind.  The Giants tried to sneak Webb through to their PS but Macc-Daddy intercepted it like an Eli floater over the middle.  \\:D/

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Walford looked decent. Plus he can run a bit, figured since Bowles wanted to be more involved with the O this yr he was looking for a wildcat ha

If you say so.  I knew Wolford was a longer-then-long-shot roster-spot-filler so frankly didn't pay him any mind.  I was confidant the Organization would replace him with a more legitimate prospect-type.

Sadly (from a pure clown-car entertainment standpoint) I doubt we'll ever see the Wildcat back in Jets Green.  

I make no presumption this ex-Giants kid is any good, but he was considered a decent enough prospect at draft, so I'm happy to A. have three QB's again, even if one is on the P.S., and B. have at least one young prospect behind Darnold now.

Like I said, my standards for a 3rd QB were low, and this meets them.

To cite @jetstream23 above, it's hard to be unhappy with a Darnold + Webb with McCown for jock-holding one more year as compared to McClown + Pettybad + Hackenbust last year.

And we have our bonus #3 from TB to spend on another bust WR, so there is that too.

Archived