Jets Sign Davis Webb to Practice Squad

Jack Straw

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

9/4/18, 10:33 AM

While former #Giants QB Davis Webb will be on the #Jets practice squad, he’ll make his full salary as if he was on the 53-man roster, I’m told.

Smart move. Should be able to keep him on PS all season if they want without another team signing him. 

Just now, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

9/4/18, 10:33 AM

While former #Giants QB Davis Webb will be on the #Jets practice squad, he’ll make his full salary as if he was on the 53-man roster, I’m told.

Smart move. 

Wait, why would he be making his full salary?

Just now, MDL_JET said:

To keep him from signing with another team who is only offering PS pay which I believe is $7500 per week.  The Vikings enticed Kyle Sloter to sign on their PS last year by offering him $200K.  Webb's take is a bit more though, which I believe is $600K.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'd guess the second year of his Giants' contract may have been guaranteed, as I think there are limitations on how much the Jets can offer him, but I may be wrong.

I'm sure Webb is just happy not to have to move if his best offer was PS anyway.

I imagine he's taking Wolford's spot on the PS?

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

PS salaries are negotiatable. There is a minimum but you can pay more to dissuade another team from signing him to their 53

as I mentioned in another thread. Jets could have told him we’ll pay your full 2018 salary and groom you for the possibility of being our #2 QB next yr. 

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

PS salaries are negotiatable. There is a minimum but you can pay more to dissuade another team from signing him to their 53

It is also possible that there were other teams looking to sign him to PS and the Jets outbid them.  He willl be paid $605K this year according to Spotrac.  Other PS guys are at $129.5K

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'd guess the second year of his Giants' contract may have been guaranteed, as I think there are limitations on how much the Jets can offer him, but I may be wrong.

I'm sure Webb is just happy not to have to move if his best offer was PS anyway.

I imagine he's taking Wolford's spot on the PS?

Never mind, I'm wrong, there is no limit, so it sounds like the Jets are the ones offering up that much.  I guess they're basically considering him to essentially be #54 on their active roster, and would promote him if they end up with a need for another QB (or perhaps if another team tries to swipe him).

The Jets have made a quarterback swap on their practice squad, signing former Giants QB Davis Webb and terminating QB John Wolford.

Webb (6'5", 230) was the Giants' third-round selection, No. 87 overall, in the 2017 draft out of California, where he played only his senior season (after the previous three seasons at Texas Tech) and completed 382 of 620 passes (61.6%) for 4,295 yards, 37 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Webb didn't play in any regular-season games for the Giants last season. This preseason he completed 28 of 53 (52.8%) for 283 yards and a TD. He was waived by the Giants on Sunday and cleared waivers.

Wolford was undrafted out of Wake Forest this year, participated in the Jets' rookie minicamp as a tryout, then was signed Aug. 26 by the Jets and was in for 46 offensive plays in the preseason finale at Philadelphia, completing eight of 20 passes for 89 yards and an interception. He was waived the next day, then signed Monday to the Jets' practice squad.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

It is also possible that there were other teams looking to sign him to PS and the Jets outbid them.  He willl be paid $605K this year according to Spotrac.  Other PS guys are at $129.5K

no doubt. And obviously Jets have the cap room..PS salaries count against the cap

I've read other teams have done this in the past and just read Seattle is doing this with the QB they signed to their PS

Eric Edholm‏ @Eric_Edholm 

QB Alex McGough signed back to Seahawks practice squad, per source

And they’re paying him his Full Paragraph 5 (Base Salary) to be on PS. Clear they want him there ... 

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

He cleared waivers, right? His former contract wouldn't be in play here. 

Probably just had competition from other teams that wanted him on their practice squads. 

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

as I mentioned in another thread. Jets could have told him we’ll pay your full 2018 salary and groom you for the possibility of being our #2 QB next yr. 

Can a player say no if a team tries to add them to their 53?  I thought once a team adds a player from someone else's PS,  its on the PS team to put him on their 53 or lose him.  I didnt know the player can say no.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Can't complain about money that doesn't cost against the cap and a higher ceiling guy than Wolford, but I am not a fan of Davis Webb.

Right, nothing to get excited about one way or the other. He's basically the Jets #3 QB while not taking up a roster spot. I feel about the same as Bengals fans must feel about their practice squad QB, though. 

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Can a player say no if a team tries to add them to their 53?  I thought once a team adds a player from someone else's PS,  its on the PS team to put him on their 53 or lose him.  I didnt know the player can say no.

I'm pretty sure they can. I've read many times a team wants to sign a guy from another teams PS and that team will give him more $$$, promote them, promise to promote them to 53 later etc...PS players are basically FAs on a week to week contract. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Can't complain about money that doesn't cost against the cap and a higher ceiling guy than Wolford, but I am not a fan of Davis Webb.

PS $$ does count against the cap..But we all know the Jets still have what $20m+ this year.

I wouldn't discount the Jets paying above the normal PS weekly salary for Bronson Kaufusi. I would guess he had a few offers too

Wow. This is hard to process because its usually the Jets making a stupid move like the Giants did in not drafting Darnold and then releasing Webb. Now the Jets have both Darnold and Webb? Are the tables turning? Is the shoe on the other foot?

Giants Fans right about now:

image.png

Truly is there anything sweeter than Giants Fans losing their sh*t?

28 minutes ago, slats said:

He cleared waivers, right? His former contract wouldn't be in play here. 

Probably just had competition from other teams that wanted him on their practice squads. 

That was just my guess if they were talking about the total money he was making this year (not necessarily just from the Jets).  I was wrong though, so carry on.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Right, nothing to get excited about one way or the other. He's basically the Jets #3 QB while not taking up a roster spot. I feel about the same as Bengals fans must feel about their practice squad QB, though. 

Ouch.  I feel bad because you probably know who the Bengals practice squad QB is, but I'm not sure everyone else does.  I actually think Wolford might be a better choice for straight backup QB, but Webb certainly has a better chance of becoming a starter and/or getting something back in trade.  The Giants were offering him up to Oakland (which is why they carried 4 QBs for a bit) but Oakland went with McCarron instead.

32 minutes ago, BCJet said:

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'm pretty sure they can. I've read many times a team wants to sign a guy from another teams PS and that team will give him more $$$, promote them, promise to promote them to 53 later etc...PS players are basically FAs on a week to week contract. 

I think the player can refuse to sign but the team cannot block a player from leaving their practice squad.

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

PS $$ does count against the cap..But we all know the Jets still have what $20m+ this year.

I wouldn't discount the Jets paying above the normal PS weekly salary for Bronson Kaufusi. I would guess he had a few offers too

Not really.  The top 51 salaries count against the cap.  If Webb isn't in our top 51 he doesn't count at all.  If he is, we will only lose at most 200K or so, since that is what the absolute bottom of the barrel guys make.  I think $480K is the least.

EDIT:  Spotrac has him at $605K.  That would put him in the top 51, but he would only cost an additional $125K against the cap over our minimum guys (think Fatukasi/Ben Braden) who make $480K.  We have over $700K in dead money to Hackenberg and $600K to Devin Smith, so I would call the amount inconsequential.

Archived