Jets Sign Davis Webb to Practice Squad

Jack Straw

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, slats said:

He cleared waivers, right? His former contract wouldn't be in play here. 

Probably just had competition from other teams that wanted him on their practice squads. 

Is it the minimum for a player with his years of service?  Probably the number he would have gotten on someones 53 man roster.

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

this is a good move. the giants move is such a head scratcher considering the guy they replaced him with is a 7 team journeyman.

This is what happens when you change regimes.......Webb means NOTHING to Gettleman and Schurmur. They had nothing to do w/drafting him

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ouch.  I feel bad because you probably know who the Bengals practice squad QB is, but I'm not sure everyone else does.  I actually think Wolford might be a better choice for straight backup QB, but Webb certainly has a better chance of becoming a starter and/or getting something back in trade.  The Giants were offering him up to Oakland (which is why they carried 4 QBs for a bit) but Oakland went with McCarron instead.

I think the player can refuse to sign but the team cannot block a player from leaving their practice squad.

Not really.  The top 51 salaries count against the cap.  If Webb isn't in our top 51 he doesn't count at all.  If he is, we will only lose at most 200K or so, since that is what the absolute bottom of the barrel guys make.  I think $480K is the least.

EDIT:  Spotrac has him at $605K.  That would put him in the top 51, but he would only cost an additional $125K against the cap over our minimum guys (think Fatukasi/Ben Braden) who make $480K.  We have over $700K in dead money to Hackenberg and $600K to Devin Smith, so I would call the amount inconsequential.

I think the top 51 applies to offseason. Obviously there is no PS in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

I think the top 51 applies to offseason. Obviously there is no PS in the offseason. 

Yup.  Top 51 is just offseason.   All salaries count now, IR, Practice squad, 53 man roster.  It all counts.  Top 51 is offseason cap to allow teams to carry 90 guys without worrying about exceeding cap.

in what scenario is Davis Webb seeing the field a good outcome? 

follow up question did anyone else notice they are paying him a full player's salary to be on the psquad? 

They won the bidding war for Josh McCown too. This is how they are getting above the salary floor. By paying money to QBs we all hope will never play. 

Honestly, I confess to wanting the Jets to hire Dorsey or Gettleman as a Team President last off season. I regret making those suggestions.

I think Mac gets the big picture strategy/waiver wire/FA/trade things very well.  He just set up a very weak scouting and drafting process, but hopefully they are fixing it.  

Upgrading from Wolford was on my list of PS improvements.  Let's work on the OL and ILB now.  

If they're paying him that kind of money they must be interested in him for next season as Darnold's backup. Believe me they've much rather pay him 100k than 600. (are the Giants paying any of that money?) But if a team makes a PS claim does he have to report to their active squad. Maybe the salary is to discourage that. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

follow up question did anyone else notice they are paying him a full player's salary to be on the psquad? 

They won the bidding war for Josh McCown too. This is how they are getting above the salary floor. By paying money to QBs we all hope will never play. 

Paying a $600K salary for a #3 QB is not outlandish. They obviously are looking at him as their backup QB whenever McCown makes the full switch to coaching.

8 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Paying a $600K salary for a #3 QB is not outlandish. They obviously are looking at him as their backup QB whenever McCown makes the full switch to coaching.

It kind of is. Most teams don't pay any #3 QBs. They pay 2 QBs and taxi the third. I guess paying 3 is better than paying 4 like last year and it's good they freed up the roster spot but it's a worst case scenario. If Davis Webb is playing it's because the season is f--ked and they have to play out the string.  

3 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Who cares what he costs. Same with the kicker. Woody has more than he needs.

They are under the floor right now, which is like 80% of the cap. They were under last year too. They have to either spend to 125% over the next two years or incur a huge fine. Moves, like trading Teddy and cutting Mo, don't help the problem.

So they make dumb little moves like paying McCown 10 mil or give Davis Webb a salary. These moves make the gap smaller but don't really improve the roster. 

Put it another way it's not the amount they are spending that bums me out. it's the allocation of resources. 

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll laugh my t!ts off if the Giants are counting on some 4th round pick out of Richmond to be their franchise QB of the future.

Plenty of guys here were ready to roll with him if we missed out on Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/whatever their flavor of the week was.

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It kind of is. Most teams don't pay any #3 QBs. They pay 2 QBs and taxi the third. I guess paying 3 is better than paying 4 like last year and it's good they freed up the roster spot but it's a worst case scenario. If Davis Webb is playing it's because the season is f--ked and they have to play out the string.  

They are under the floor right now, which is like 80% of the cap. They were under last year too. They have to either spend to 125% over the next two years or incur a huge fine. Moves, like trading Teddy and cutting Mo, don't help the problem.

So they make dumb little moves like paying McCown 10 mil or give Davis Webb a salary. These moves make the gap smaller but don't really improve the roster. 

Put it another way it's not the amount they are spending that bums me out. it's the allocation of resources. 

They did not go with 4 QBs last year.  That was 2016.  I think they may have kept Smith hoping that they could get a trade or comp pick out of him.  The smart money thing to do now would be - wait for Webb to learn the offense.  Once he is ready to be on the active roster, McCown retires and is hired as QB coach.  He knows the O and can be brought back in an emergency.  That should save at least some of the $10M to carry-over.  OTOH, I don't think they are even dreaming of any of this.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

What scenario are you glad to put a spare tire on your car? None. But nice to have it when you need it.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

This is what happens when you change regimes.......Webb means NOTHING to Gettleman and Schurmur. They had nothing to do w/drafting him

I dont particularly care for the Giants' assessment of this year's QBs, so this might be a decent move on the Jets part.

Why does anyone care about the money?  We are talking about the difference between $600K and $125K for an NFL team to sign a 6'5, strong armed QB with a year of experience in the league and who 18 months ago was picked 87th overall.  That money is beyond meaningless for any team given the increases in the cap and the rookie scale, but is even more meaningless for a team like the Jets with $80+ million of space.

I dont know much about Webb but for a developmental player with his physical ability, "overpaying" to get him in our building for a year is an excellent move.

Archived