BILL COWHER’S WIFE IS A JETS DIEHARD. HE LIVES IN NYC. GO GET COWHER (DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS)

Vader

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Saban would never in a million years come here but if we were throwing preposterous money at someone for a splash hire this would be a move.

So he could quit the NFL again because there was "too much parity"?  Those were his words.

Do what the Rams did, youth with a brilliant football mind....forget the fossils, tired old men.

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

So he could quit the NFL again because there was "too much parity"?  Those were his words.

Do what the Rams did, youth with a brilliant football mind....forget the fossils, tired old men.

I tend to agree but I'd roll with Saban if that was a real option. I think he's a great coach who would have been successful in the NFL if he'd landed Brees instead of Culpepper in '05. Presumably we've got the QB.

But yeah, I'm into John DeFilippo or another young offensive mind. 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

As for yesterday the entire Defensive backfield was horrendously out of position, primarily playing zone all day, got destroyed on those crossing routes and didn’t seem to make any adjustments. 

Westbrook had over 100 yards on what looked like the same play, over and over again. And nobody adjusted, this is an assumption bc none of us know for sure but as good as Adams is vs the run and blitzing, he has no feel or instincts in zone coverage. Looked from my layman eye a lot of those big passing plays were on him...in a fool me once, fool me twice, three four times fashion 

Adams is a safety who thinks he is a LB

37 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

giphy3.gif

And I'm a tired old fossil saying this.

I'm old, not tired tho!  My season tickets are in the rowdiest section of the Coliseum, we stand all game, and tailgate all day, beginning at 6:30am.

Our coach at the time at USC when I was there was John McKay, tell ya anything?   Go with fresh young minds that want to coach in the pro game, that embrace the parity.  Fight On!

43 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I love how everyone thinks the rams success is all McVay.  They made a couple really good moves last two years Whitworth, Cooks, Kupp

You can have all the talent in the world, but sh*tty coaching negates that talent at the NFL level.  I don't know anyone that has said it was all McVay, just simply that he put his players in position to win based on their talent.  The Rams have certainly caused excitement in this city that has always been jaded on caring about an NFL team.

I wish Sam and his offense had someone like him.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Saban would never in a million years come here but if we were throwing preposterous money at someone for a splash hire this would be a move.

problem with Saban is his tough guy shtick worked for teenagers at Alabama, but didn’t (unlike BB, Parcells, Cowher) in the NFL. 

This person has to have real bona fides in my opinion. This franchise deserves some damn stability and actual real football brains. It needs a grown up on top. The Johnson’s are good sports, but not good at owning a sports club, and hiring people to run it.

6 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

What about Ted Thompson from the Packers as VP of Football Ops and Eliot Wolf as GM?

They have a clear connection from GB.....Eliot Wolf is the next hotshot GM and Ted Thompson could help him get acclimated his 1st couple of years until hes ready to retire for good

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, pulling a guy out of retirement after 10 years has worked out for the Raiders so well we just have to do the same.

Give me John DeFilippo,

7 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Don’t want either....I was talking about Ted Thompson and Eliot Wolf 

Eliot Wolf is the Assistant GM in Cleveland, I would be okay with him as GM, I was all for him before Mac.

Im also good with DeFilippo.

I would say if we signed Eliot Wolf I would want him to select the HC.. no more of this out of sync type pairings

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Coming back after a decade away has been great for Gruden so.....

:blink:

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, plus no coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams.  

Not that I really agree with the OP, but did you guys bother to read the thread title?  He's advocating for Cowher to take on a role here like Coughlin has in Jacksonville.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not that I really agree with the OP, but did you guys bother to read the thread title?  He's advocating for Cowher to take on a role here like Coughlin has in Jacksonville.

Understood, but I haven't seen Cowher play that role before.  And just because he was a very good coach 10+ years ago doesn't mean he'd be a great Dir. of Football Ops IMO.  It's like Parcells.....great coach, very meh GM.  Wayne Gretzky....great player, bad coach.  What makes us think that because Cowher coached Roethlisberger and the Steelers to a Super Bowl that he'd be the right guy to manage operations including hiring, building an organization and instilling draft, free agency and overall financial philosophies for longterm success?

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

We don't need a relic from the 90s.  We need a modern offensive mind like McVay, Payton, Gase, Shanahan, Nagy, Peterson, etc.  

Get an attractive VP of Football Operations in here, and maybe we'll get one of these great young offensive minds to come in here and work with Darnold. 

As it stands, no one in that category will work for the Johnsons or Mike Maccagnan.  

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Understood, but I haven't seen Cowher play that role before.  And just because he was a very good coach 10+ years ago doesn't mean he'd be a great Dir. of Football Ops IMO.  It's like Parcells.....great coach, very meh GM.  Wayne Gretzky....great players, bad coach.  What makes us think that because Cowher coached Roethlisberger and the Steelers to a Super Bowl that he'd be the right guy to manage operations including hiring, building an organization and instilling draft, free agency and overall financial philosophies for longterm success? 

What made people think it would work for Elway and Coughlin?  We've tried everything else.  If its not Cowher we need someone who is a lot more like him than the current clowns we have in power, that's for sure. 

This thread is looking towards the right direction and most of you are sh*tting all over it.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What made people think it would work for Elway and Coughlin?  We've tried everything else.  If its not Cowher we need someone who is a lot more like him than the current clowns we have in power, that's for sure. 

This thread is looking towards the right direction and most of you are sh*tting all over it.

Trust me, I'm all for trying new things with this organization and I'm definitely not crapping on the thread.  I'm simply sharing an opinion that I'd be concerned about a retread coach being shoehorned into a different role more than a decade after he last worked in the league.  I'm not saying I have the right answer.  I'm just a bigger fan of looking for new, fresh faces and ideas in a NFL that is quickly changing and evolving (that goes for both Coaches and GMs/DoFO).  And I'll go further regarding Head Coaches....I LIKE that the Jets took a chance on first-time HC's like Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles.  Just because those guys haven't seemed to work out doesn't mean we change that whole approach.  It could just be that we picked the wrong ones.  What if we had gone with Dan Quinn or Sean McVay or Mike Vrabel?

As for Macc, I think the evaluation is tougher.  While Todd Bowles' body of work is on display every Sunday it's more difficult to grade Macc IMO.  Overall, his drafts have been subpar so far.  He's hit on 1st Round picks in terms of having starting caliber contributing guys (Leo, Lee, Adams, Darnold) but we've only seen flashes that any of them could be elite.  Still, he has no 1st Round busts which is a monumental achievement over 4 years given this organizations history (Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, Calvin Pryor, Dee Milliner, Quinton Coples, etc.....AND that's just our recent bust history).  But Macc has also come up dry trying to find mid-round talent and can't draft a WR to save his life.  His FA/trading has been a little better....Brandon Marshall, Henry Anderson, Jermaine Kearse were all astute moves.  It's also hard to judge Macc when the guy who is using this picks is Todd Bowles.  Macc also has a bit of a Cap war chest going into 2019 so again, I'm having a hard time saying that HE is the problem.  I think a better coach would be making this roster look a little better than it does, even with a rookie QB.

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Eliot Wolf is the Assistant GM in Cleveland, I would be okay with him as GM, I was all for him before Mac.

Im also good with DeFilippo.

I would say if we signed Eliot Wolf I would want him to select the HC.. no more of this out of sync type pairings

Ted and Wolf would be an in sync pairing as Wolf worked under Ted in GB for many years....as a young GM he could benefit from having Ted around for a few years 

37 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I have no idea if Cowher would be good or not but I’d be very excited if this happened. 

I think that Chris Johnson has got to start kicking the tires on a seasoned football man to run the Jets Football Operation. No more first timers. No more first time HCs, no more first time GMs. 

If it’s not Cowher, it has to be someone else. And in general, the point I am making is the entire Jets organization chart has to be re-envisioned.

You simply have to have stability at the top. The reporting structure we have — where the HC does NOT report to the GM, but rather where both HC and GM are bilateral, report to Chris Johnson — this is totally dysfunctional and has got to change.

I don’t care if it’s Cowher, someone else with deep football ties, or someone with a good head from within the team’s own history like a Mike Westhoff (Westhoff is someone I am shocked didn’t get consideration at HC). Kick the tires on Chad Pennington. Unfortunately Curtis Martin is invested in the league.  But someone with cache and connections. Hopefully someone with coaching and management experience but nonetheless someone that has had long term success in this league.

58 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Ted and Wolf would be an in sync pairing as Wolf worked under Ted in GB for many years....as a young GM he could benefit from having Ted around for a few years 

right. I was speaking as if we were only to sign Wolf as GM

10 years ago I wanted to hire Cowher instead of Rex. Now, no. Too much game has passed him by.

Go get someone like David Shaw, someone with experience building and running a program. I have far more confidence in a college HC rather than a NFL coordinator over-promoted because of coaching elite talent.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

10 years ago I wanted to hire Cowher instead of Rex. Now, no. Too much game has passed him by.

Go get someone like David Shaw, someone with experience building and running a program. I have far more confidence in a college HC rather than a NFL coordinator over-promoted because of coaching elite talent.

my point is to get Cowher - or someone with deep ties and cache - for a VP Football Operations type role. Not as a HC. Someone who will rehabilitate and oversee the entire football operations program. Someone that the HC and GM will report to.

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It would be to run Football operations, not coach. 

Archived