Golden Tate - any interest?

jamesr

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980498/article/detroit-lions-seeking-midround-pick-for-golden-tate

Article suggests he could be had for a 4th ... but also that the Lions would need to be "blown away" by an offer.

He's 30, and in a contract year, but given our situation with WRs at the moment, if a 4th would get it done I'd be interested. We have the cap room to extend him next year.

Thoughts?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

My head says we really need to develop our own. But our own just aren't coming up to scratch or even staying on the roster.

Dez is younger and can be had for no picks. What is it with WRs and growing up.

My thoughts exactly. We can't hold out for every player to be a young, long term solution - we need some talent now to give our QB a legit target on the field.

I'd rather Tate than Dez personally. Dez couldn't get separation last year, no reason to believe he would now. Tate is at least still productive.

15 minutes ago, jamesr said:

My thoughts exactly. We can't hold out for every player to be a young, long term solution - we need some talent now to give our QB a legit target on the field.

I'd rather Tate than Dez personally. Dez couldn't get separation last year, no reason to believe he would now. Tate is at least still productive.

That’s actually a good point. Yes developing your own WR is ideal,  but Sam needs someone to actually run good routes and make catches in order to improve as well. 

Yet, we are already without a second and really need long term help through the draft. I won’t talk about how bad we draft because it’s sorta been covered. 

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

This is a lost season. Play the young guys and let them develop to become solid depth at the very least. Burnett had a good debut and I’d like to see him, cannon, McGuire and our young TEs improve and build rapport with Sam. 

Yeah who cares about Darnolds development anyway.

Injuries are our main problem at WR.  I'd argue that we have had almost the perfect mix of young, upcoming talent (Robby, Enunwa) and older veteran leadership (Kearse, Andre Roberts, etc).

Yes, we need that true #1 WR, a real weapon that most other teams seem to have (AJ Green, Deandre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Julio Jones, etc.) but in terms of positional group composition, we have a great mix of complementary players.  Our problem is that many of them have been hurt and I don't want to make a 1-year panic move on a guy like Tate for a 4th round pick when we were looking okay when a healthy Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa were starting.  Signing Rishard Matthews was the kind of move we have to make in these situations, not spending future draft capital.

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is a lost season. Play the young guys and let them develop to become solid depth at the very least. Burnett had a good debut and I’d like to see him, cannon, McGuire and our young TEs improve and build rapport with Sam. 

I agree with this.  The OL is holding up well enough that it doesn't feel like Darnold is going to get destroyed back there so why not see what we have?  Besides we have to sort out Enunwa (contract year) and Robby Anderson's future as well.   Plus once he gets more comfortable with the playbook we can assess Matthews.  

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Yeah who cares about Darnolds development anyway.

You act as if it will make enough of a difference to justify wasting draft picks. We have good wide receivers....they are injured. It happens. It doesn’t mean sacrifice your future for a short term fix.

If we are thinking short term, might as well get someone better than Tate or at least younger and can be part of the future. Those guys don’t exist. 

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s actually a good point. Yes developing your own WR is ideal,  but Sam needs someone to actually run good routes and make catches in order to improve as well. 

Yet, we are already without a second and really need long term help through the draft. I won’t talk abouthowbad we draft because it’s sorta been covered. 

All very good points. The lack of a 2 next year is an issue, though the extra 3 helps offset that a bit. I usually loathe giving up draft capital for players who their own teams seem to want rid of, but as things stand we have to do something to help Darnold out. He shouldn't be throwing to special teamers and street free agents.

Darnold is passing the eyeball test and adjusting to NFL speed/culture while in a not ideal situation(injuries and shaky o-line). His growth is not being stunted and his handling of this situation is impressive. Playing him early was the right move(I was hesitant or at least wanted him to sit first 3 games).

His job will be INFINITLEY easier with 1 year experience and when we invest in the offense and get some better coaching here. Future is bright with Sam as long as the right people are put around him. 

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You act as if it will make enough of a difference to justify wasting draft picks. We have good wide receivers....they are injured. It happens. It doesn’t mean sacrifice your future for a short term fix.

If we are thinking short term, might as well get someone better than Tate or at least younger and can be part of the future. Those guys don’t exist. 

Draft picks are overrated. The Browns have had 46 draft picks in the last 4 years and their record is 6-49-1. The amount of draft picks you have means nothing. 3rd round picks fail about 80% of the time. Would you rather take that chance or bring in a proven veteran player that can help your team immediately? 

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Injuries are our main problem at WR.  I'd argue that we have had almost the perfect mix of young, upcoming talent (Robby, Enunwa) and older veteran leadership (Kearse, Andre Roberts, etc).

Yes, we need that true #1 WR, a real weapon that most other teams seem to have (AJ Green, Deandre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Julio Jones, etc.) but in terms of positional group composition, we have a great mix of complementary players.  Our problem is that many of them have been hurt and I don't want to make a 1-year panic move on a guy like Tate for a 4th round pick when we were looking okay when a healthy Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa were starting.  Signing Rishard Matthews was the kind of move we have to make in these situations, not spending future draft capital.

The bigger problem is going to be when the Jets overpay all of them since they're all free agents and there are very little quality WR's in free agency this off-season. Then we'll end up with the same injury prone #3 WR's next year with inflated salaries.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Draft picks are overrated. The Browns have had 46 draft picks in the last 4 years and their record is 6-49-1. The amount of draft picks you have means nothing. 3rd round picks fail about 80% of the time. Would you rather take that chance or bring in a proven veteran player that can help your team immediately? 

I agree that late round picks are ok to trade for the right type of player but I can assure you a 30 year old WR that’s worse than Q and Enunwa, surely isn’t the right way to do things.

4th round isn’t that late and we used to do really well in the 4th round (Leon washington, Brad Smith). We need to save draft picks and use FA for crappy-mediocre players like Tate. No way you trade for him. That’s my opinion and we can agree to disagree. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

The bigger problem is going to be when the Jets overpay all of them since they're all free agents and there are very little quality WR's in free agency this off-season. Then we'll end up with the same injury prone #3 WR's next year with inflated salaries.

The injuries will help with the price. It’s a blessing in disguise.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Except what if they get hurt again next season?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

That can be said about any player. Robbie isn’t injury prone (hamstring injuries will hamper any burner like him so it’s better to heal) and Q’s injuries are unrelated and due to his playing style.

That can be a concern but he played all of 2016 fine so I wouldn’t say he’s super injury prone like Devin Smith or Bob Sanders etc....

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980498/article/detroit-lions-seeking-midround-pick-for-golden-tate

Article suggests he could be had for a 4th ... but also that the Lions would need to be "blown away" by an offer.

He's 30, and in a contract year, but given our situation with WRs at the moment, if a 4th would get it done I'd be interested. We have the cap room to extend him next year.

Thoughts?

Why trade a 4th round pick for a player that we can sign in free agency? Is there a rush to win 7 games this year? 

That can be said about any player. Robbie isn’t injury prone (hamstring injuries will hamper any burner like him so it’s better to heal) and Q’s injuries are unrelated and due to his playing style.
That can be a concern but he played all of 2016 fine so I wouldn’t say he’s super injury prone like Devin Smith or Bob Sanders etc....
Of course injuries can happen to anyone a guy like Quincy is a game changer for us when he is playing but he suffered a season ending injury last year and an injury this year. When you have your best receivers injured all at once though it really hurts our team and darnolds development

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived