Golden Tate - any interest?

jamesr

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why trade a 4th round pick for a player that we can sign in free agency? Is there a rush to win 7 games this year? 

Your point is 100% correct.  But how did you come up with 7 wins?  That would be a stretch even with DeAndre Hopkins...  ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What about just keeping our draft picks and signing free agents?

Can we sign the free agent wrs that we drafted and cut?  I hear good things about a couple of young guys called hansen and stewart that we can sign if we pay enough.

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Draft picks are overrated. The Browns have had 46 draft picks in the last 4 years and their record is 6-49-1. The amount of draft picks you have means nothing. 3rd round picks fail about 80% of the time. Would you rather take that chance or bring in a proven veteran player that can help your team immediately? 

Immediately is deceiving.  Yeah, he'd help but only if he returned next year.  Tate's in the last year of his deal.  You would need assurances or its just a waste of time.  At best you slide a 7th but doubt the Lions bite at that.  

22 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Of course injuries can happen to anyone a guy like Quincy is a game changer for us when he is playing but he suffered a season ending injury last year and an injury this year. When you have your best receivers injured all at once though it really hurts our team and darnolds development

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Of course. So what’s the concern again? I’m not concerneced at all about resigning Q. He’s 1 piece to the puzzle and this is why you want depth at these positions instead of 1 superstar. 

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tate is a guy you bring in on a veteran team thats close to winning it all.

Hes not a guy you bring in when you are in a rebuild like the jets.

These threads are getting ridiculous.

The issue is there isnt even baseline NFL talent at the position right now with the injuries. The Pryor release remains completely puzzling. Throwing Darnold to the wolves with AAAA type players at wideout is really silly. It wouldnt shock me to see the Jets make a trade here.

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree that late round picks are ok to trade for the right type of player but I can assure you a 30 year old WR that’s worse than Q and Enunwa, surely isn’t the right way to do things.

4th round isn’t that late and we used to do really well in the 4th round (Leon washington, Brad Smith). We need to save draft picks and use FA for crappy-mediocre players like Tate. No way you trade for him. That’s my opinion and we can agree to disagree. 

The guys on pace for over 90 catches and 1100 yards. He's a better WR than anybody on the Jets roster.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The guys on pace for over 90 catches and 1100 yards. He's a better WR than anybody on the Jets roster.

I’d say that’s right in line with Q and Robbie if they were in a more ideal offense. Similar skill level. Our guys are younger and part of the future. Tate costs a pick. Let’s leave it at that.

I would totally trade for someone younger with upside but Like I said, they aren’t available for cheap. I’m hopeful that a new GM will be calling the shots and the pick will actually be valuable. I know it’s wishful thinking. 

14 hours ago, jamesr said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980498/article/detroit-lions-seeking-midround-pick-for-golden-tate

Article suggests he could be had for a 4th ... but also that the Lions would need to be "blown away" by an offer.

He's 30, and in a contract year, but given our situation with WRs at the moment, if a 4th would get it done I'd be interested. We have the cap room to extend him next year.

Thoughts?

Even a 4th is too high a price for me. Like you said he's 30 and a FA after the season. We are not contending this year so we should not be renting players.

As much as I would like to get a few legit WR's for Sam to throw to the rest of the season, it doesn't make much sense to burn a pick on a rental during a season where the playoffs were never a goal.  The team has to ride it out with what they have and hope Sam continues to play smart football and make good decisions despite the lack of talent around him.  

Golden Tate is not coming here.

A tweet from the Bleacher Report podcast, Simms and Lefkoe, asked if the Jets should fire Bowles if the team loses to the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

Tate responded “no,” instead writing that Bates should be the first to go. He ended the tweet with a trash can emoji.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/07/lions-wr-golden-tate-thinks-the-jets-should-fire-jeremy-bates/amp/

OK, so he's gone to Philly for a 3rd rounder.

I'm still wondering who we expect Sam to throw to the rest of the year though. Many of his incompletions on Sunday weren't drops / near things, they were throwaways as no-one was open. How does that help his development?

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

OK, so he's gone to Philly for a 3rd rounder.

I'm still wondering who we expect Sam to throw to the rest of the year though. Many of his incompletions on Sunday weren't drops / near things, they were throwaways as no-one was open. How does that help his development?

I expect he'll be throwing to Anderson and Enunwa and the rest of the receivers. They suffered ankle sprains. That's all. They'll be back.

10 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I expect he'll be throwing to Anderson and Enunwa and the rest of the receivers. They suffered ankle sprains. That's all. They'll be back.

Agree. Without knowing firsthand what Tate's strengths/weaknesses are here in 2018 - I don't exactly watch endless film on him lol - I don't think he'd be worth anything more than a 5th round pick to give that a try since he's a FA after the season. Usually I wouldn't even go that high halfway through an obvious non-contender season, but I figure we could probably recoup a 5th or 6th as a comp pick a year later, or make him the offset FA lost instead of a higher pick like Enunwa (if we lose him as well). Plus with a pair of 3s it's plenty easy to recoup a 5th this year by trading down just a half dozen slots, or a low 5 / high 6 by trading down just 2-3 slots.

It's all moot since Philly was willing to fork over a 3rd rounder. They have a bye this week, and while they're 2.5 games back from Washington they still have 2 head-to-head games with them coming up and even if they don't take the division they're still very much in the WC hunt. Guess no matter what happens they won't accept a later WR injury as the straw that breaks the camel's back on their season. At 4-4 they have a lot less room for error than Washington. 

38 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Anderson had a hammy, which can be a nagging issue for a WR whose game is mostly based on speed. Enunwa likely will be limited till after the bye.

I guess everyone will be counting on Burnett to get us the yards?

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

No trades! 

Just sign Tyrell Williams & draft offense. 

I despise fraud agency... But TW is a player I would key on.  I could stomach it if they only have to overpay a little... as long as it isn't exorbitant.

He is a rising talent.  Not coming off an injury, like so many others in FA like Allen Robinson and Cameron Meredith. 

TW can make big plays which is always a plus.  The biggest hole in the Jets offense is a chain moving centerpiece though.  The 3 and outs are brutal.  Like a Le'Veon Bell.  Not sure if he is the guy... But like him...

Archived