After 50 years I’m losing interest in this franchise.

johnnyjet

At the beginning of the year I had hope.  Hope because we had Sam. I’m losing hope now because of Bowles and company. Without there is only despair and that’s where this franchise it headed once again.... the patriots will win their ,seems like 100th afc east crown and we still have no answers.  Ownership sucks.  Our coach has overstayed his welcome and it seems  we are going to destroy a promising young QB by not giving him any support. We never do anything right. While we have had a little success we never finish the job, from parcels, to Edwards, to Mangini, to Farve, to Fitz, the story is always the same in the end.  We don’t even play in our own stadium. 

Next year we change uniforms, probably coaches once again and have a new slew of players. But I still do not see anyway we compete with the likes of Brady, Mahomes, Rothlisberger, brees etc. Since 2012 we have 14 games, 14 GAMES! Where we have not scored a touchdown of any kind. Our franchise is a perrinial loser. The culture needs to change and how does that happen.  I for one have no answers. I’ll never give up but I’m losing interest. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

At the beginning of the year I had hope.  Hope because we had Sam. I’m losing hope now because of Bowles and company. Without there is only despair and that’s where this franchise it headed once again.... the patriots will win their ,seems like 100th afc east crown and we still have no answers.  Ownership sucks.  Our coach has overstayed his welcome and it seems  we are going to destroy a promising young QB by not giving him any support. We never do anything right. While we have had a little success we never finish the job, from parcels, to Edwards, to Mangini, to Farve, to Fitz, the story is always the same in the end.  We don’t even play in our own stadium. 

Next year we change uniforms, probably coaches once again and have a new slew of players. But I still do not see anyway we compete with the likes of Brady, Mahomes, Rothlisberger, brees etc. Since 2012 we have 14 games, 14 GAMES! Where we have not scored a touchdown of any kind. Our franchise is a perrinial loser. The culture needs to change and how does that happen.  I for one have no answers. I’ll never give up but I’m losing interest. 

45 years for me and I'm there with you. The Johnson's are worthless owners, but I don't see them selling anytime soon so I doubt much changes

4 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

I'm with you in the 50 yr. Jet fan club. It DOES get depressing and frustrating for sure. Yesterday's game and the Cleveland game for me were gut wrenching. We win those and we're 5-4 instead of 3-6. HUGE difference. Just gotta look ahead , keep hoping. Good group of young players with Sam at the helm. Better days are coming.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

No one would blame you for walking away. As Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank, every man has his breaking point.

I’m still sticking with them, but I’ve detached myself emotionally for the most part. Living in NC probably has a lot to do with that.

Well if anybody here is built to wait. It’s you 80. It’s you. 

the Jets broke me as a human being somewhere about 4 years ago

they aren't trying to win they are just taking everyone's money and keeping the lights on 

woody doesn't care in fact he might move the team to London that's how little he cares.  

Here's my advice, drive to Borgata, place money on the other team every week (unless they play the Bills) and you at least will have something to console yourself with from an entertainment perspective

Hoping for the Jets to win games or a championship is a fool's errand. 

I’m not a sports guy. I have no other sports that I watch and could never root for another team or even follow them for fun and care AT ALL. I can’t watch/root for a young up and coming team or an underdog and have 1 ounce of satisfaction or care. It just doesn’t work that way for me. It’s Jets. J E T S motherf*ckin JETS. It sucks and there is nothing that the fan can do.

Sure as Captain I could organize a bunch of us to march on Florham and take over the Jets (kidding) but really what else could we do besides watch? The owners do not care and that’s where the problem lies. It’s clearly ownership. I used to think that they cared and tried but they really don’t. Or maybe Woody being gone is a bad thing. He’s not usually this patient and FINALLY trying the rebuild and it’s been a complete disaster.

Maybe enough is enough. Idk what I’m rambling about but I couldn’t walk away even if I wanted to and it sucks. It’s like a bad tv show that you continue to watch because you know it so intimately and want to know what happens next no matter what crap they roll out there. 

First the PSLs, then the continued inept management and drafting.  I had really become just a casual Jet fan.  Taking an interest come draft time because I love college football and projecting how these kids will perform in the NFL.  Also, I am far more passionate about Clemson athletics, which made this all much easier.   That said, I was sucked in by the Darnold selection. 

The Jets have done everything in their power over the last 50 years to drive away even the most dedicated fans.......but they (we) still stay for some strange reason.  Part of it is that we all have learned to love to be tortured because we are waiting for the glorious payoff..........but the other part is that I think they put something in the beer they sell at the stadium.  Just a theory.  :cheers:

I am not losing interest.  Yet.  They are still my team and I am going to watch them every week.  Not living and dying with the result the way I do on Saturdays, but it is what it is.  I think my breaking point might be this offseason, if nothing changes.  If Macc & Bowles are both back, then what is there to look forward to.  For now, 7 more weeks to this season and hopefully some real change.  

But if these two guys are back, then what could possibly give me reason for hope.  What offensive free agent is going to want to come here after watching this team the last few weeks.  Any reason to believe Macc is going to pick the right guys in the draft to surroound Darnold.  Early in the season, Darnold was progressing, looked like he was getting better.  I could take the losses when there was progress.  But now, we are completley inept on the offensive side of the ball.  Personnel, coaching, schemne, playcalling, it is all awful.  I at least need hope that things will change next year.  I am usually a patient guy, but I would love to see a coaching change made now, or next week.  It would at least give me some reason to think things will be different.

The Jets are very close to becoming the Knicks. No matter what they do it blows up in their face.

The NFL as a whole is becoming about as unwatchable as the NBA with all the changes they have made to improve scoring. Basically playing defense in either league is like asking a one-legged man to win an ass kicking contest. You got guys letting up up there so as not to get a flag and that is how you get hurt.  

I know alot of what the NFL has done is for quote "Player Safety" unquote, but this has become a joke. I basically now watch the Jets and maybe some of the Sunday night game depending on who is playing.

I'm sorry but that is they way I feel. I don't want to see it go back to the 70's where guys were play on basically cement and running the football 80 percent of the time but what we are seeing now is way to extreme the other way, in the name of generating more points for the fantasy football geeks who on their phones 24-7 or watching redzone all day.

I would expect an entertaining and action packed off season. The empty stadium, billboards, banners, etc will break the Johnsons.   Next year will be better.  There will be some change.  Don’t know if the Johnsons admit defeat and become inactive owners and let professionals run the team.  That is what it will take.  

But unless there is a radical change, I think this is the last year of Bowles, Kacy and Bates. Hopefully we can improve on that.  

yesterdays game was tough to watch for jets and fish fans I am sure.  I would call it a dumpster fire but at least a dumpster fire will catch your eye.  this was a total snore fest.  Outside of president mal owning the field I would have felt better missing this game all together.

I'm surprised this game broke so many of you.  The Jets were never ever winning this game.  I had it 17-10 Dolphags.  We match up terribly and Adam Gase own Todd Bowles.  The Jets never had a chance.

When Buffalo shuts out the Jets, then you're allowed to break...but after this one?  Meh, one of many.

Bowles should have been fired after Buffalo in 2015. 

That game was Bowles in a nutshell:

Unprepared Team/No sense of urgency/no adjustments/sat Ivory?/Losing to a team with a Dead Coach Walking that could not even practice do to a blizzard, to a bunch of guys that had checked out for the season, lol.

It was Todd Bowles football all the way. Keep the game close, giving the Bills team a reason to keep playing & no adjutments on Sammy Watkins who converted on every 3rd down by running to the sticks & catching the ball. 

And there you have it. And here we are 4 years later having to witness a football game that wouldn’t entertain prisoners that hadn’t seen a sporting event in 25 years.

Welcome to the club JJ. I can at least console myself with the thought that I DID get to see the Jets win a Super Bowl game in real time. I was there 14 miles away from the center of the universe when the Jets owned it, and own it they did. I feel for you guys who spend hard-earned money week after week month after month year after $hitty year on the Jets. 

Now, if they are on TV or if my wife and son found a way to watch the game (I had already decided that I was done wasting money on DTV season packs) that I may watch. It sucks too because like the Creepy Lurker, I'm also no longer a "sports guy" I haven't been able to sit through a baseball game w/o changing the channel in 20 years. So I was left with the Jets. As for now, I'm still where I was when I made that decision 10 years ago when Johnson stated what 'his' main focus was (not the Jets ). I am emotionally untethered to the NFL and to a game that I have long suspected as not being on the up and up.

Lastly, I really hope that someday, some miracle of fate happens and the Jets are "chosen" to be the team of destiny  (like the Patriots were back in 2001) and if that day does come, I will be happy for all of you guys who have invested so much into the team. As for me I too like 80 will be a North Carolinian by this time next week and like my wife said the other day "maybe I can become a Panthers fan after we move". Naaaa...

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm surprised this game broke so many of you.  The Jets were never ever winning this game.  I had it 17-10 Dolphags.  We match up terribly and Adam Gase own Todd Bowles.  The Jets never had a chance.

When Buffalo shuts out the Jets, then you're allowed to break...but after this one?  Meh, one of many.

It's the content not the result. that bothers me. 4 INT's from a rookie,  if we're moving the ball up and down the field, I can live with.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bowles should have been fired after Buffalo in 2015.  

he was hired in 2015 

such a move makes ownership look reckless  and capricious to potential replacements

the fact any Jets fan thinks firing a coach the year he was hired is a good idea is reason number one why this job is terrible: Sky high expectations while spending bottom 5 resources

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

And you were the guy making fun of me the most back then NJ M, now it's starting to look like I may have just been one fed-up fan who was ahead of the curve

If by "ahead of the curve", you mean "King of the Histrionics", then yes, you are absolutely cutting edge, SoFla.

Guys, it's football. Have a freakin sense of humor.

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

No offense but how could you possible think we were going to be better than the Last 2 five -11 seasons ? Josh McCown had a pretty good season last yr, a 21 yr old rookie was not going to do it all by himself on O and top McCown’s production. Maybe he can in the future, or maybe we can get a competent HC and gm who will actually provide him with real players on O, not just left overs.. Next yr with a new HC/gm, Big cap, and a no longer rookie darnold, we should be playoff contenders..if Johnsons get rid of Mac/Bowles 

The Jets are much more of a habit for me these days than anything. And a bad habit at that.

I have gotten to a point in my life where I question what I get out of something for what I put into it, which never did when I was younger. 

I realized with Woody this franchise will always be highly dysfunctional, much like I realized with the Wilsons the Mets will always be highly dysfunctional, and level of interest went from very high with both to more of a habit. I won't let games like yesterday get to me like they used to, just not worth it.

So are diehard fans especially those that purchase PSL's and season tickets. 

I attended the Minnesota game with a group of 53 people we all sat in the lower end zone 123, I also think the JetNation group sat close with a very large crowd. 

So this tells me PSL's and season tickets are far from sold out if large groups can purchase tickets in the LL end zone. 

Years ago this was unheard of. 

@SAR I  if he still participates in this forum for years he insisted PSL's were SOLD OUT when in FACT they aren't the NY Jets are selling seats on a single game basis. 

That should tell the organization WE HAVE A PROBLEM. 

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

If by "ahead of the curve", you mean "King of the Histrionics", then yes, you are absolutely cutting edge, SoFla.

No sense of humor? I've been laughing at your posts since you arrived

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

No sense of humor? I've been laughing at your posts since you arrived

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

i've been watching for 50+ years too.  i didn't give up with winner or hotlz or coslet or herm magini or rex.  i'm not about to give up now.  darnold seems to be the real deal and if they can put a team around him with the right coaching they will easily supplant the patsies and the other afc east teams.  i was hopeful at the beginning of this season that the offense would at least play well enough to score some points.  it didn't happen.

Archived