Fixing the Jets an 8-Step Plan

Doggin94it

1) Fire Everyone.  This is trivially obvious, but the entire staff needs to be blown out the door, with the limited potential exceptions of Heimerdinger, Mike Caldwell, and Kevin Greene (who have the LBs playing pretty decently).  Interview Heimerdinger for the GM job, and give it to him if he wows you AND Scot McLoughan is willing to come in as assistant GM.  Otherwise, look to someone from the Rams, Chiefs, or Eagles front offices. 

2) Hire an Offensive Guru as HCAgain, this should be trivially obvious; Sam Darnold is the organization's future and best asset, and the next HC should be the person most likely to help him succeed.  Targets: Eric Biennemy (many years in Andy Reid's system, now coordinating the best offense in the league), John DeFilippo, Mark Helfrich (former Oregon HC and current Bears OC, with experience under Chip Kelly and now Matt Nagy, plus HC experience), Matt LaFleur (Rams OC), Lincoln Riley ...  I'd take Helfrich as my first choice.

3) Load up his Staff with Offensive Minds. Press Taylor, Dave Ragone, Zac Taylor, Joe Lombardi - find up and coming coaches who have experience in the most creative systems being run today, and who won't mind being the OC on a staff where the HC is calling the plays for at least a few years.

4) Hire a 4-3 DC. The Jets need a DC who isn't just a creative playcaller, but someone who will move the team to the 4-3 defense it's best suited for.  Marvin Lewis (who will be fired in Cincy) would be a terrific choice here.  Shifting Leonard Williams inside to DT and turning him loose as a one-gap penetrator will work wonders for this defense, which has the makings of a good 4-3 DL with Sheppard, Pennel, and Williams.  They'd need to add a pass rushing DE next to Williams, and move either Lee or Williamson to WILL, but passrushing DEs are much easier to find than 3-4 OLBs, and Williams would be able to take his game to another level.

5) Sign LeVeon Bell. Yeah, I know. Big money for an older RB.  I don't care.  The Jets have more cap dollars than there are players worth spending it on in this year's free agent class (and get used to that being a thing, BTW; as the cap goes up, few if any teams are so cap-strapped that they are forced to let good players walk anymore; check out last year's FA class), and Bell is a uniquely explosive threat who can make Darnold's life infinitely easier.  In three years, Darnold will have hopefully developed to the point that he is making weapons out of lesser players.  But Bell would be a major piece of helping him get there.

6) Sign Ziggy Ansah.  Shifting to a 4-3 allows the Jets to make Ansah their other big-ticket signing.  It'll hurt to have to pass up all the pass-rushing talent at the top of this year's draft, but ...

7) Double-Dip OL with 2 of our top 3 picks - Including Rd 1.  This OL is a dumpster fire, particularly on the left side and at C, and there really isn't much out there in free agency to help, unless you believe in Rodger Saffold or a bounce-back year from Mike Iupati.  Go LT in the first round - or, even better, trade down, pick up a second round pick, and take the top OG on the board if the LTs are gone - and then grab a center in the third.

8.) Realize this Isn't a 1-Year Fix.  The Jets have major holes at pass rush, OL, and WR.  They can't fill all those holes in FA and the draft, and they shouldn't try to.  Instead, hit a couple of those areas hard, make Darnold's life easier by giving him a true weapon on offense in Bell and the OL protection and coaching support he needs to develop, and worry about finding a No. 1 WR and strengthening the OL further next offseason.

I think the offense has to be priority 1 in free agency and the draft.  The NFL is all about offense.  The rules are set up to help the offense.  Sign Leveon Bell and any worthy free agent OL that hit the market., then draft OL and WR in the early rounds.   Sam needs to be surrounded with quality players on offense NEXT year.  

Good list but its not happening. If Bowles was not fired today its not happening. If we eek out a couple victories, we will hear about progress and Bowles and Mac will be back, possibly with another OC. I just dont see Bowles being fired at this point. I am not sure what they see in him other than this perception he is somehow overachieving because of lack of talent but Coffee Drinker is not being held accountable for having a bad roster either. I would touch Bell in any way shape or form. My plan would be similar but more aggressive.

8 steps???  Way too many.

My plan is 3 steps....

1. Replace the coaching staff

2. Draft Pro Bowl talent over the next two years

3. Win the Super Bowl

I'm also the guy who made millions of dollars with the 30 Second Abs exercise program.  I made sure that they put it for sale in Target right next to the 8-minute workout videos. :D

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. I would rather go for Clowney if available than Ansah. Texans have a lot of money to pay out. 

2. The offensive HC is a given at this point. 

3. Drafting the OL is a given at this point.

Definitely go LT with 1st pick. Can’t trade back since drafting best available  LT position is paramount. Find a trade partner and get a 2nd rounder somehow. We need to revamp the OL first. Darnold’s safety comes first. He MUST be protected. We need upgrades at LT, Center, and a RT desperately. Winters and Carpenter are serviceable until we can upgrade later. Either thru draft or FA, the OL must be addressed FIRST. 

Who are the best Olineman picked over the last 3 years? Unless the guy is a slam dunk you can't miss with your 1st round pick. If Nick Bosa is sitting there it's really tough not to take him. 

I know..defense, it kills me too, but your asking a rookie LT to protect your franchise QB. The Giants signed Solder, how's that working out? Carpenter & the Center are killing this team along with the terrible system Bates is using & the shotgun sets with no Blockers. 

Sign the best OG that comes free to replace Carpenter & draft a Center in the 3rd & a older cheaper vet better than Long until you can transition him to a starter. 

So, sign Bell, Tyrell Williams, OG, Cheaper Vet Center, draft Bosa which fixes your problems up front & frees up Leo in a 4/3. Id have a hard time passing up Bosa, but if another team wanted to trade up for him or a QB then you'd have to listen. Parcells moved back & it backfired, Jets should have drafted Orlando Pace. 

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. I would rather go for Clowney if available than Ansah. Texans have a lot of money to pay out. 

2. The offensive HC is a given at this point. 

3. Drafting the OL is a given at this point.

100% agreed on 1 - but I don't think there's a chance in hell he's not franchised.

Unfortunately, nothing's a given with this team.

5 hours ago, BigO said:

Definitely go LT with 1st pick. Can’t trade back since drafting best available  LT position is paramount. Find a trade partner and get a 2nd rounder somehow. We need to revamp the OL first. Darnold’s safety comes first. He MUST be protected. We need upgrades at LT, Center, and a RT desperately. Winters and Carpenter are serviceable until we can upgrade later. Either thru draft or FA, the OL must be addressed FIRST. 

I'd lean that way too. But in reality, Carpenter (who's a FA) and Long are much more important to replace than Beachum (who is middling and serviceable at LT).  Shell has actually been pretty decent at RT.  And we also need a potential No. 1 WR, and this year's class isn't deep enough to hope for one in the third. So if you can pick up a high-mid 2, fix the LG spot, and feel comfortable that you've got a shot at a dynamic WR/OL/DPR in the 2d, I'm comfortable rolling Beachum out there for another season (and of course, if an LT drops, take him and do the happy dance)

Who’s doing the interviewing? Chris? Come on. 

The only way this works is if there’s a full on housecleaning and a President ofFootball ops is brought in or a Harbaugh, Urban Meyer etc.

Promoting a 30 year old scout to GM now would be crazy considering how poorly the team/hierarchy is currently constructed. The Jets need an established home run either at Pres or HC to restart the franchise. The last 6 years if you still count the Idzik debacle has set this franchise back about a decade. Stop with the first time coordinators and GM’s. 

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

How do you feel about being VP of Football Operations?

They desperately need this type of organizational structure in place.  At minimum a GM that chooses the coach.

Without it, all the OPs good suggestions are academic...

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

1) Fire Everyone.  This is trivially obvious, but the entire staff needs to be blown out the door, with the limited potential exceptions of Heimerdinger, Mike Caldwell, and Kevin Greene (who have the LBs playing pretty decently).  Interview Heimerdinger for the GM job, and give it to him if he wows you AND Scot McLoughan is willing to come in as assistant GM.  Otherwise, look to someone from the Rams, Chiefs, or Eagles front offices. 

2) Hire an Offensive Guru as HCAgain, this should be trivially obvious; Sam Darnold is the organization's future and best asset, and the next HC should be the person most likely to help him succeed.  Targets: Eric Biennemy (many years in Andy Reid's system, now coordinating the best offense in the league), John DeFilippo, Mark Helfrich (former Oregon HC and current Bears OC, with experience under Chip Kelly and now Matt Nagy, plus HC experience), Matt LaFleur (Rams OC), Lincoln Riley ...  I'd take Helfrich as my first choice.

3) Load up his Staff with Offensive Minds. Press Taylor, Dave Ragone, Zac Taylor, Joe Lombardi - find up and coming coaches who have experience in the most creative systems being run today, and who won't mind being the OC on a staff where the HC is calling the plays for at least a few years.

4) Hire a 4-3 DC. The Jets need a DC who isn't just a creative playcaller, but someone who will move the team to the 4-3 defense it's best suited for.  Marvin Lewis (who will be fired in Cincy) would be a terrific choice here.  Shifting Leonard Williams inside to DT and turning him loose as a one-gap penetrator will work wonders for this defense, which has the makings of a good 4-3 DL with Sheppard, Pennel, and Williams.  They'd need to add a pass rushing DE next to Williams, and move either Lee or Williamson to WILL, but passrushing DEs are much easier to find than 3-4 OLBs, and Williams would be able to take his game to another level.

5) Sign LeVeon Bell. Yeah, I know. Big money for an older RB.  I don't care.  The Jets have more cap dollars than there are players worth spending it on in this year's free agent class (and get used to that being a thing, BTW; as the cap goes up, few if any teams are so cap-strapped that they are forced to let good players walk anymore; check out last year's FA class), and Bell is a uniquely explosive threat who can make Darnold's life infinitely easier.  In three years, Darnold will have hopefully developed to the point that he is making weapons out of lesser players.  But Bell would be a major piece of helping him get there.

6) Sign Ziggy Ansah.  Shifting to a 4-3 allows the Jets to make Ansah their other big-ticket signing.  It'll hurt to have to pass up all the pass-rushing talent at the top of this year's draft, but ...

7) Double-Dip OL with 2 of our top 3 picks - Including Rd 1.  This OL is a dumpster fire, particularly on the left side and at C, and there really isn't much out there in free agency to help, unless you believe in Rodger Saffold or a bounce-back year from Mike Iupati.  Go LT in the first round - or, even better, trade down, pick up a second round pick, and take the top OG on the board if the LTs are gone - and then grab a center in the third.

8.) Realize this Isn't a 1-Year Fix.  The Jets have major holes at pass rush, OL, and WR.  They can't fill all those holes in FA and the draft, and they shouldn't try to.  Instead, hit a couple of those areas hard, make Darnold's life easier by giving him a true weapon on offense in Bell and the OL protection and coaching support he needs to develop, and worry about finding a No. 1 WR and strengthening the OL further next offseason.

Going to go point by point.  I love some, while others aren't quite agreeable. 

1.  I agree, I can be on board with firing everyone.  I'm not a Mac hater, but he's whiffed badly on offense, except for the obvious choice in Darnold.  Hackenberg, Stewart, Hansen, while ignoring the OL is a major black mark.  I don't want to see a single coach come back.  

2.  I agree, I'll take someone that can actually design plays on offense.  

I posted this question before the start of the 2017 season, and got mixed opinions.  I'd love Helfrich, and if he needs to be the coach, I'd be happy.  What he's done for Tribusky is amazing, and I don't even think he's that good of a QB.    I'd take anyone that can coach offense.  

3.  Also agree, the league is turning completely towards the offense with all the rule changes, and I don't think it's going to change.  NCAA is already there and the only reason a team like Alabama wins is because they recruit so much better.  With concern over safety, the lack of contact is going to be prioritized, and that will always favor the offense.  

4.  This one I'm not quite as sure because the personnel match up is a bit rough.  I don't like base 3-4/4-3 defenses because I think it has to be adaptable.  What I do want more is man to man defenses, and allow safeties to roam free over the top.  This could be part coaching, but the Jets do an absolutely horrible job of communicating on defense.  

5.  I'm on board, mainly because Darnold needs weapons, and there aren't many available next year.  It's not the ideal signing, but I like him more as a receiving threat than anything.  However, the team needs to find receivers.  I'm going to say Jamison Crowder as a WR signing with resigning Enunwa/Anderson.  The Redskins might not be able to resign him, and he can also fill in as a punt returner.  The Jets lack a prototypical slot guy, and he's probably the most reasonable signing at receiver next year.  

6.  I don't like Ansah at all, and it has everything to do with his injuries.  Obviously Lawrence would be ideal, but that injury history scares me and going to be on the wrong side of 30. 

7. I agree, this draft has good for the trenches, and I'm looking to trade down here.  The teams I'm looking at are the Jaguars/Bucs, both of whom I expect to be in the picks 5-10 range.  I don't really see us winning any remaining game besides the Buffalo one, but if we could move down similar to the Colts with us, then it's a major boon.  Both of them will want QBs, so it could end up benefiting.  

8.  Also agree, this isn't a first aid injury, this is a long term illness.  The OL needs to be fortified, and they need weapons.  I can survive with not adding talent on defense because there is a ton invested in them, but the offense needs a major infusion of talent.  Better OL, better RB, better receivers.  

mostly agree. i'm not sold on throwing it all on an "offensive minded" coach.  the head coach needs to be aware of all aspects of the game and throwing in with an offensive coach just sounds very one dimensional.  true they need to score points but more importantly, they need to play the full 60 minutes of smart football.

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Who’s doing the interviewing? Chris? Come on. 

The only way this works is if there’s a full on housecleaning and a President ofFootball ops is brought in or a Harbaugh, Urban Meyer etc.

Promoting a 30 year old scout to GM now would be crazy considering how poorly the team/hierarchy is currently constructed. The Jets need an established home run either at Pres or HC to restart the franchise. The last 6 years if you still count the Idzik debacle has set this franchise back about a decade. Stop with the first time coordinators and GM’s. 

Agree. The team seems to be wandering the same desert it was 20 years ago when they hired Parcells. It's time to stop again with the first-timers and bring in someone who's already demonstrated that they can get it done. I'd lean more towards putting that guy in charge of football operations and getting one of these newfangled young coaches who aren't afraid to do things in a new way. 

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

mostly agree. i'm not sold on throwing it all on an "offensive minded" coach.  the head coach needs to be aware of all aspects of the game and throwing in with an offensive coach just sounds very one dimensional.  true they need to score points but more importantly, they need to play the full 60 minutes of smart football.

They need an aggressive coach who understands how the rules favor the offense and is willing to take advantage of them. A guy who gets that going for it on 4th & 4 from your own 45 is the higher percentage play than a punt. Chances are that guy would come from the offensive side of the ball, but I'll take a coach from anywhere as long as he's creative and coaches to win rather than not to lose (which we've seen way too much of around here). 

17 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

1) Fire Everyone.  

8.) Realize this Isn't a 1-Year Fix.   

or in Jets fans terms, the less than virtuous cycle 

this team is a flaming crap pile with zero stars and half the starters an actual NFL team requires, they haven't hit on a draft pick for like a decade. 

not saying Bowles and Mac have done a good job but why would the next crew be any better than the last 4 regimes? 

the problem is ownership, and they don't have any financial commitment to winning. 

The proof? Woody hired Bowles in the first place, who is still employed and so is Mac.  

Jets fans get to watch the 28th paid HC to coach the 26th spend roster (franchise QB rookie and the staff has no a QB coach), and wonder why they suck

whoever the next HC is, whenever that is, he's going to be no one we've ever heard of, without any other HC job offers, and he's going to be cheap. He's going to coach an underfunded roster, with free agent Mercenaries like Trumaine Johnson the only professional athletes willing to live in New Jersey.

But we have until 2019 to worry about that problem. 

16 hours ago, Jetster said:

Who are the best Olineman picked over the last 3 years? Unless the guy is a slam dunk you can't miss with your 1st round pick. If Nick Bosa is sitting there it's really tough not to take him. 

I know..defense, it kills me too, but your asking a rookie LT to protect your franchise QB. The Giants signed Solder, how's that working out? Carpenter & the Center are killing this team along with the terrible system Bates is using & the shotgun sets with no Blockers. 

Sign the best OG that comes free to replace Carpenter & draft a Center in the 3rd & a older cheaper vet better than Long until you can transition him to a starter. 

So, sign Bell, Tyrell Williams, OG, Cheaper Vet Center, draft Bosa which fixes your problems up front & frees up Leo in a 4/3. Id have a hard time passing up Bosa, but if another team wanted to trade up for him or a QB then you'd have to listen. Parcells moved back & it backfired, Jets should have drafted Orlando Pace. 

If he would have told Peyton he would have taken him with the 1st pick he would have left school..

18 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

good post. I'm not sold on Bienemy yet. It's his first year as the OC and it sure as hell looks like Andy Reid has yet to let Bienemy take on any of the real important duties of the OC. 

Exactly

In 20 years, when the hell have you ever seen Andy Reid on the sideline without a play call sheet in his hand?

I’ve never been more sold on going the “retread” route at HC as I am now. Go get Mike Shanahan. Go get John Harbaugh. Go get Jim Harbaugh if he’s ready to move on from Michigan and plant his flag elsewhere for 5 years.

A guy like DeFilippo has less than two total years of experience as an OC.

Matt LaFleur I would be cool with if we brought in a guy like Shanahan as the VP and he wanted one of his protégés to be the coach. 

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I'd lean that way too. But in reality, Carpenter (who's a FA) and Long are much more important to replace than Beachum (who is middling and serviceable at LT).  Shell has actually been pretty decent at RT.  And we also need a potential No. 1 WR, and this year's class isn't deep enough to hope for one in the third. So if you can pick up a high-mid 2, fix the LG spot, and feel comfortable that you've got a shot at a dynamic WR/OL/DPR in the 2d, I'm comfortable rolling Beachum out there for another season (and of course, if an LT drops, take him and do the happy dance)

I’d forget all other positions at this point and focus on the OL. Get the best available LT or RT with the first pick and the best available FA Linemen and revamp it. Stop this bandaid approach with bums like Long. We only have 2 picks on the first 3 rounds. All these guys currently on the line are average to below average. Shell is a good back up, nothing more. Keeping Beech is a good idea for a rook to learn behind.

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

If he would have told Peyton he would have taken him with the 1st pick he would have left school..

I remember that. Archie told Parcells, Payton will come out if you promise to pick him & Parcells Balked, ouchy.

Archived