Mehta: Jets need to sign Le'Veon Bell,even if they have to overpay

joewilly12

7 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

You have got to spend to win. Bringing in Bell would lead to a much different offense next season. We'd have that one star player that every team needs to account for.

It can only help Darnold and that needs to be the focus of this team.

Completely false unless you're counting signing your own players. The true only way to win in this league is to draft well.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Trumaine Johnson vs Solder is actually a tough question, but not for the reason you're thinking.

Johnson is a waste of $ and I was afraid of just this when we signed him, but his presence doesn't prevent the Jets from pursuing a LT upgrade.

On the other hand Solder has been meh and would prevent upgrading because he's got another year guaranteed (plus another half-year of cap acceleration). They're not touching a high pick LT if Solder is here, even if the value matches our slot.

Between the two I'd still lean towards Solder if you put a gun to my head. With so many holes the idea that we're going to pounce on a top LT prospect (or find an instant-starter better than Solder, with a later pick than #6 overall) is slim. 

Frankly we should be trading down from our top pick unless there's a rare/unique talent edge rusher, because a great one is like having an extra defender on the field (we won't have to blitz to generate pressure). So we should have a shot at a 1st round talent OLman (ideally a LT prospect) and another high pick to use elsewhere. That'd be the only rookie starter (if he's even good enough). Winters can stay, at least for now. They'll also probably bring back Shell. That means 2 OLmen in FA not 4. 

When you trade up for a QB like we did, we're living with the plan that we aren't going to be able to fill as many immediate starters in the draft (unless you are really good with later picks; another reason to dump Macc). 4 high picks on one player says no high pick RB this year. That's why I'm not so averse to the addition (without seeing the details or who the GM is or how the rest of this season goes). 

If they happen to be able to take Bosa, no brainer.Cannot pass on that kind of talent.

But  otherwise, they need to trade down and get more picks to dedicate to the OL especially and offensive skill slots. A top 5 pick should net maybe be 2 later 1st round picks or another 1st and some a 2nd and 3rd. 

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Tunnel vision post.

The primary goal is to get Darnold's arrow pointed up. 

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY... the Jets can bring in via draft or fraud agency will help make Darnold more comfortable in the pocket during his "formative" years than Le'Veon Bell. 

NOBODY.

It's ironic how your avatar says no to free agency and you call it fraud agency in your post, yet you want to sign a RB with a million miles on his tires to a giant contract after he just skipped an entire season. 

You know what would help Sam more than having Bell in the backfield.....finally spending resources on the Oline and drafting offense.. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

What sense does it make to sign Bell and have him run behind a mediocre line. Bell will take a big chunk of that FA money. We desperately need to upgrade the line. We need a center, a LT, a G and a RT. 3 premium picks with the #1 and two 3’s which we'd be lucky to get 1 starter on the line from. That FA money must be spent on the line first. Bell is a great back but this is the wrong roster at the wrong time for him and us. 

I agree and that was my mindset. Build the line first. However, free agency is a complete train wreck for O-line this year and we have to spend our money somehow in ways that can belong Sam at all costs. It’s not ideal but I’d rather help Sam in any way than not help Sam if that makes sense. It still sucks though. 

34 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's ironic how your avatar says no to free agency and you call it fraud agency in your post, yet you want to sign a RB with a million miles on his tires to a giant contract after he just skipped an entire season. 

You know what would help Sam more than having Bell in the backfield.....finally spending resources on the Oline and drafting offense.. 

The "million miles" and "old" running back stuff is just flat out wrong with him. 

He turns 27 in February.  People talk like he is 31.   I think skipping a season is a good thing.

As for the "miles?"  Does anybody watch him play?  I mean really watch him?  I have.   Owned him in a dynasty league since his rookie season...

Le'V doesn't run like Eddie George.  He isn't getting banged around on every carry.

He doesn't plow into the LOS, he darts or slashes into a crease.  If no space is available, he patiently waits for an opening and then slides through it. His style avoids heavy collisions. 

He rarely runs over guys fighting for an extra meaningless yard.  He often steps out of bounds.  If there is no more room, he will go down.  He doesn't expose himself to unnecessary hits.   I encourage you to watch some of his highlight reels... see for yourself.

He may have more touches than most per season, but the meter is higher than the wear and tear.  They are highway miles in a warm climate.

He has 3 excellent years of football in him.  

29 minutes ago, RobR said:

Completely false unless you're counting signing your own players. The true only way to win in this league is to draft well.

Bringing in all-pro offensive players to help your franchise QB out are not common. We will only be able to do this for a few more years - once Darnold is up for his big deal, we will let Bell walk and cap room will not be a huge topic of conversation every year. Drafting well is key obviously but if we want to try to accelerate the process, we have to make a move.

What are we going to do with all this money in the meantime, just sit on it every year? We have to try to get better. Bell makes the entire offense better.

Everybody is preaching offense, offense, offense - offensive drafts, offensive head coaches... the Jets can get a premier offensive player who's a running and receiving threat for nothing but some cap room that we have plenty of and now some people don't want any part of it?

Williams will get a nice contract, Enunwa probably will get a decent one too, Adams will most definitely get paid. We have our own players that we will need to resign but there is definitely a ton of room for this team to get better using free agency.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Not worth the money 

Of course he's not. That's not the point. We have a ridiculously bad talent deficit on the offense which (as the best available offensive FA) Bell helps with immediately. Plus, there is no way we spend 100 mil in cap space in one shot anyway. Need to spend it on high impact talent.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

If they happen to be able to take Bosa, no brainer.Cannot pass on that kind of talent.

But  otherwise, they need to trade down and get more picks to dedicate to the OL especially and offensive skill slots. A top 5 pick should net maybe be 2 later 1st round picks or another 1st and some a 2nd and 3rd. 

100%

47 minutes ago, King P said:

80% of this board hates the idea of giving Bell big money, but was ready to load up the brinks trunk for this mediocre guy

******* bizzaro world I tell ya

Not sure what to do here.  I despise fraud agency more than anybody.  Everybody is overpriced and flawed.  But I am adamant that signing Le'V is by far the best way to spend some of that cap space in the off-season.  I can't seem to convince many that the other players available will be a total waste. 

Especially since come April, lots of these posters will go all frenzy to "sign the bum" for every JAG on the market.   And the best player by a loooong shot is the one they don't want.  Weird, man.  Weird.

1 hour ago, lounap23 said:

RB's can be found anywhere.......

Kamara 4th Rd

Mixon 2nd Rd

Chubb 2nd Rd

Hunt 4th Rd

Connor 3rd Round

Breida and Lindsay UFFA's

Do not overspend for Bell

Normally I'd agree with you.  But Mac has to make a grand stand play.  The rabble are at his door. He's going to do a "Let them eat cake" moment. He's already seen the masses behead his co-conspirator . 

Think Bell is going to be receptive to an offer from the Jets.  Last I heard he was asking $17M a year, and $50M+ guaranteed.  Think during the tampering period Mac is going to offer it to him.  If he takes it, he's certainly going to make a splash.  This is not a good FA class.  Who else are they going to over pay?

Think it's going to happen. 

5 hours ago, BigO said:

What sense does it make to sign Bell and have him run behind a mediocre line. Bell will take a big chunk of that FA money. We desperately need to upgrade the line. We need a center, a LT, a G and a RT. 3 premium picks with the #1 and two 3’s which we'd be lucky to get 1 starter on the line from. That FA money must be spent on the line first. Bell is a great back but this is the wrong roster at the wrong time for him and us. 

How many times do I have to point out the same thing?   Take a good look at the 2018 fraud agency offensive linemen.   What do you expect to find this spring?!?!  Newsflash... there ain't gonna be no Kevin Mawae?

Le'Veon Bell is the best player available and IT. IS. NOT. CLOSE.  If the Jets must overpay for somebody, and they have to... it is him...

OFFENSIVE TACKLES

Nate Solder (29) -- Signed 4-year, $62M deal with NYG

Justin Pugh (27) -- Signed 5-year, $45M deal with ARZ

Chris Hubbard (26) -- Signed 5-year, $36.5M deal with CLE

LaAdrian Waddle (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1.5M deal with NE

Andre Smith (31) -- Signed 2-year, $8M deal with ARZ

Cameron Fleming (25) -- Signed 1-year, $3.5M deal with DAL

Austin Howard (31)

Chris Clark (32)

Greg Robinson (25)

Seantrel Henderson (26) -- Signed 1-year, $4M deal with HOU

Garry Gilliam (27) -- Re-signed 2-year, $8M deal with SF

Marshall Newhouse (29) -- Signed 1-year, $1.5M deal with BUF

Donald Stephenson (29) -- Signed 1-year, $2.5M deal with CLE

Breno Giacomini (32) -- Signed 1-year deal with OAK

Austin Pasztor (27) -- Re-signed 1-year, $880K deal with ATL

Michael Schofield (27) -- Re-signed 2-year, $5M deal with LAC

Bobby Hart (23) -- Signed 1-year, $1.005M deal with CIN

Michael Ola (29)

Will Beatty (33)

Matt Tobin (27) -- Signed 1-year, $815K deal with NE

Sam Young (30) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with MIA

Bradley Sowell (28) -- Re-signed 2-year deal with CHI

Cornelius Lucas (26) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with LAR

Ben Ijalana (28) -- Re-signed 1-year, $2.5M deal with NYJ

GUARDS/CENTERS

Andrew Norwell (26) -- Signed 5-year, $66.5M deal with JAX

Weston Richburg (26) -- Signed 5-year, $47.5M deal with SF

Mike Pouncey (28) -- Signed 2-year, $15M deal with LAC

Josh Sitton (31) -- Signed 2-year, $18M deal with MIA

Josh Kline (28) -- Re-signed 4-year, $26M deal with TEN

Jack Mewhort (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1.5M deal with IND

Ryan Jensen (26) -- Signed 4-year, $42M deal with TB

James Hurst (26) -- Re-signed 4-year, $17.5M deal with BAL

Brandon Fusco (29) -- Signed 3-year, $12.75M deal with ATL

John Sullivan (32) -- Re-signed 2-year, $15M deal with LAR

Matt Slauson (32) -- Signed 1-year, $3M deal with IND

Spencer Long (27) -- Signed 4-year, $27.4M deal with NYJ

D.J. Fluker (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with SEA

Senio Kelemete (27) -- Signed 3-year, $12M deal with HOU

Luke Joeckel (26)

Travis Swanson (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with NYJ

Zach Fulton (26) -- Signed 4-year, $28M deal with HOU

Alex Boone (30)

Joe Berger (35) -- Announced retirement on 3/23

Jahri Evans (34)

Patrick Omameh (28) -- Signed 3-year, $15M deal with NYG

Jonathan Cooper (28) -- Signed 1-year, $4.95M deal with SF

Russell Bodine (25) -- Signed 2-year, $5M deal with BUF
Daniel Kilgore (30) -- Re-signed 3-year, $12M deal with SF (traded to MIA)

Shawn Lauvao (30)
Tom Compton (28) -- Signed 1-year, $900K deal with MIN
Kenny Wiggins (29) -- Signed 2-year, $5M deal with DET
Wesley Johnson (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with DET

Jeremiah Sirles (26) -- Signed 1-year deal with CAR
Oday Aboushi (26)
Mike Person (29)

Amini Silatolu (29) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with CAR

Xavier Su’a-Filo (27) -- Signed 1-year, $880K deal with TEN

Kevin Pamphile (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with TEN

John Greco (33) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1M deal with NYG

Dakota Dozier (26) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with NYJ
Brian Schwenke (27)

Joe Hawley (29) -- Announced retirement on 4/4
Joe Looney (27) -- Re-signed 2-year deal with DAL

Earl Watford (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with CHI
Luke Bowanko (26) -- Signed undisclosed deal with NE
Tim Barnes (29)

Marcus Martin (24) -- Signed 1-year deal with DAL

Jonotthan Harrison (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $880K deal with NYJ

Josh LeRibeus (28)

Evan Smith (31) -- Re-signed 2-year deal with TB

Jermon Bushrod (33) -- Signed 1-year, $1.1M deal with NO
Allen Barbre (33)
Don Barclay (28)

Billy Turner (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $2M deal with DEN

Tony Bergstrom (31) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with WAS

Jordan Devey (30) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with KC

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

How many times do I have to point out the same thing?   Take a good look at the 2018 fraud agency offensive linemen.   What do you expect to find this spring?!?!  Newsflash... there ain't gonna be no Kevin Mawae?

Le'Veon Bell is the best player available and IT. IS. NOT. CLOSE.  If the Jets must overpay for somebody, and they have to... it is him...

OFFENSIVE TACKLES

Nate Solder (29) -- Signed 4-year, $62M deal with NYG

Justin Pugh (27) -- Signed 5-year, $45M deal with ARZ

Chris Hubbard (26) -- Signed 5-year, $36.5M deal with CLE

LaAdrian Waddle (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1.5M deal with NE

Andre Smith (31) -- Signed 2-year, $8M deal with ARZ

Cameron Fleming (25) -- Signed 1-year, $3.5M deal with DAL

Austin Howard (31)

Chris Clark (32)

Greg Robinson (25)

Seantrel Henderson (26) -- Signed 1-year, $4M deal with HOU

Garry Gilliam (27) -- Re-signed 2-year, $8M deal with SF

Marshall Newhouse (29) -- Signed 1-year, $1.5M deal with BUF

Donald Stephenson (29) -- Signed 1-year, $2.5M deal with CLE

Breno Giacomini (32) -- Signed 1-year deal with OAK

Austin Pasztor (27) -- Re-signed 1-year, $880K deal with ATL

Michael Schofield (27) -- Re-signed 2-year, $5M deal with LAC

Bobby Hart (23) -- Signed 1-year, $1.005M deal with CIN

Michael Ola (29)

Will Beatty (33)

Matt Tobin (27) -- Signed 1-year, $815K deal with NE

Sam Young (30) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with MIA

Bradley Sowell (28) -- Re-signed 2-year deal with CHI

Cornelius Lucas (26) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with LAR

Ben Ijalana (28) -- Re-signed 1-year, $2.5M deal with NYJ

GUARDS/CENTERS

Andrew Norwell (26) -- Signed 5-year, $66.5M deal with JAX

Weston Richburg (26) -- Signed 5-year, $47.5M deal with SF

Mike Pouncey (28) -- Signed 2-year, $15M deal with LAC

Josh Sitton (31) -- Signed 2-year, $18M deal with MIA

Josh Kline (28) -- Re-signed 4-year, $26M deal with TEN

Jack Mewhort (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1.5M deal with IND

Ryan Jensen (26) -- Signed 4-year, $42M deal with TB

James Hurst (26) -- Re-signed 4-year, $17.5M deal with BAL

Brandon Fusco (29) -- Signed 3-year, $12.75M deal with ATL

John Sullivan (32) -- Re-signed 2-year, $15M deal with LAR

Matt Slauson (32) -- Signed 1-year, $3M deal with IND

Spencer Long (27) -- Signed 4-year, $27.4M deal with NYJ

D.J. Fluker (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with SEA

Senio Kelemete (27) -- Signed 3-year, $12M deal with HOU

Luke Joeckel (26)

Travis Swanson (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with NYJ

Zach Fulton (26) -- Signed 4-year, $28M deal with HOU

Alex Boone (30)

Joe Berger (35) -- Announced retirement on 3/23

Jahri Evans (34)

Patrick Omameh (28) -- Signed 3-year, $15M deal with NYG

Jonathan Cooper (28) -- Signed 1-year, $4.95M deal with SF

Russell Bodine (25) -- Signed 2-year, $5M deal with BUF
Daniel Kilgore (30) -- Re-signed 3-year, $12M deal with SF (traded to MIA)

Shawn Lauvao (30)
Tom Compton (28) -- Signed 1-year, $900K deal with MIN
Kenny Wiggins (29) -- Signed 2-year, $5M deal with DET
Wesley Johnson (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with DET

Jeremiah Sirles (26) -- Signed 1-year deal with CAR
Oday Aboushi (26)
Mike Person (29)

Amini Silatolu (29) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with CAR

Xavier Su’a-Filo (27) -- Signed 1-year, $880K deal with TEN

Kevin Pamphile (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with TEN

John Greco (33) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1M deal with NYG

Dakota Dozier (26) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with NYJ
Brian Schwenke (27)

Joe Hawley (29) -- Announced retirement on 4/4
Joe Looney (27) -- Re-signed 2-year deal with DAL

Earl Watford (27) -- Signed 1-year deal with CHI
Luke Bowanko (26) -- Signed undisclosed deal with NE
Tim Barnes (29)

Marcus Martin (24) -- Signed 1-year deal with DAL

Jonotthan Harrison (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $880K deal with NYJ

Josh LeRibeus (28)

Evan Smith (31) -- Re-signed 2-year deal with TB

Jermon Bushrod (33) -- Signed 1-year, $1.1M deal with NO
Allen Barbre (33)
Don Barclay (28)

Billy Turner (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $2M deal with DEN

Tony Bergstrom (31) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with WAS

Jordan Devey (30) -- Re-signed 1-year deal with KC

Can you write this out just one more time. 

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Seriously, who is Bell supposed to run behind? A QB needs a solid line to have time to throw. A rb needs a solid line to run behind. Bell would go from being a thoroughbred to a Shetland pony behind this putrid OL.  3 holding penalties on 1 play by the OL. THREE! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that  before. ?

I would much rather spend money this offseason on a pass rusher, O-line, and a WR.  Keep Crowell around and roll the dice on a RB in rnd 2 or 3.  Darnold has 3-4 more cheap years, get a good RB cheap, which means a LOT of money to spend elsewhere. 

Bell needs to go to the AFC South, either Indy or Texans.  Bell/Luck/Hilton would be tremendous, as would Bell/Watson/Hopkins/Fuller.

3 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

I would much rather spend money this offseason on a pass rusher, O-line, and a WR.  Keep Crowell around and roll the dice on a RB in rnd 2 or 3.  Darnold has 3-4 more cheap years, get a good RB cheap, which means a LOT of money to spend elsewhere. 

Bell needs to go to the AFC South, either Indy or Texans.  Bell/Luck/Hilton would be tremendous, as would Bell/Watson/Hopkins/Fuller.

My wishlist:

Golden Tate

Jadeveon Clowney

Dante Fowler

resign Enunwa

Matt Paradis

Mike Iupati or Andy Levitre

Sheldon Richardson 

Resign McClendon

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

My wishlist:

Golden Tate

Jadeveon Clowney

Dante Fowler

resign Enunwa

Matt Paradis

Mike Iupati or Andy Levitre

Sheldon Richardson 

Resign McClendon

Sheldon not coming back and I don't think Tate is that much of an improvement for what he will cost.  I don't view him as a legit #1 WR.  Yer moving from C/C+ WRs to B/B-, and he will probably warrant a ton of money.  Look at what Sammy Watkins got, and he doesn't have Tate's track record.

Totally down w/ Clowney, Fowler and Enunwa.

the 2019 OL Free Agent class has plenty of options.  Spend money on one of these OL rather than on a RB who relies on the OL to make them stars.

TACKLE

Daryl Williams, Carolina Panthers

Williams is another player that is sidelined for the remainder of the 2018 season due to injury. It’s a tough break for the fourth-year tackle, as he was coming off a breakout 2017 season in which his 78.0 overall grade ranked behind only Ryan Ramczyk and Lane Johnson at the right tackle position. He showed effectiveness as a run blocker and as a pass blocker with top-10 marks in both among right tackles. Coming off of his rookie contract, Williams makes an intriguing tackle option in the 2019 free agency class. If his improvement in 2017 is anything to go by, whichever team ends up signing him could end up with one of the top tackles in the league.

Honorable Mentions: Trent Brown, Bobby Massie, Ja’Waun James

GUARD

Rodger Saffold, Los Angeles Rams

The upcoming group of free agent guards is deep with multiple quality starters such as Levitre, Foster and Spain, but perhaps the best of the group is Saffold. He has graded above 64.0 in every season of his career besides a 2015 season in which he only played five games, and Saffold has been very good recently with the second-highest grade among left guards both this season and last season. He’s part of a Rams offensive line that is the best run-blocking unit in the NFL, as well as the fourth-best pass-blocking group in the league based on PFF team grades. Whether Saffold returns to Los Angeles in 2019 or takes his talents elsewhere, he will bring a proven, veteran force at the guard position.

Meanwhile, it is very telling that every one of Bell's "back ups" has equalled or bettered his performance when they played when he was suspended, injured, or staying home. D'Angelo Williams and Connor have been just as good if not better than Bell, indicating that it is the Steelers OL and system that matter, not the player.

Moreover, take a look at Todd Gurley's 2016 season stats to see what happens to a "stud" RB who is playing behind a weak OL with no other weapons and a young QB.  The best RB in football ran for 3.2 ypc in 2016.  Expect the same from Bell on the Jets, who do not have any Antonio Browns or Smith Schusters or Roethlesberger at QB or one of the top OLs in the NFL to boost a RBs production. A 27 year old Bell on the Jets, with a mediocre OL, no WRs, no TE and an unproven QB will be bottled up by 8-9 man fronts.

Add in his decision to stay home this year and it's a no-brainer to let him go elsewhere next season.  If he was unwilling to risk injury this year and was so ready to abandon his team and teammates for selfish and stupid reasons, how will he react when he gets his payday and is not playing for his contract and how will he react to not producing at the level he is used to because teams will key on him and bottle him up? Pass.

21 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

the 2019 OL Free Agent class has plenty of options.  Spend money on one of these OL rather than on a RB who relies on the OL to make them stars.

TACKLE

Daryl Williams, Carolina Panthers

Williams is another player that is sidelined for the remainder of the 2018 season due to injury. It’s a tough break for the fourth-year tackle, as he was coming off a breakout 2017 season in which his 78.0 overall grade ranked behind only Ryan Ramczyk and Lane Johnson at the right tackle position. He showed effectiveness as a run blocker and as a pass blocker with top-10 marks in both among right tackles. Coming off of his rookie contract, Williams makes an intriguing tackle option in the 2019 free agency class. If his improvement in 2017 is anything to go by, whichever team ends up signing him could end up with one of the top tackles in the league.

Honorable Mentions: Trent Brown, Bobby Massie, Ja’Waun James

GUARD

Rodger Saffold, Los Angeles Rams

The upcoming group of free agent guards is deep with multiple quality starters such as Levitre, Foster and Spain, but perhaps the best of the group is Saffold. He has graded above 64.0 in every season of his career besides a 2015 season in which he only played five games, and Saffold has been very good recently with the second-highest grade among left guards both this season and last season. He’s part of a Rams offensive line that is the best run-blocking unit in the NFL, as well as the fourth-best pass-blocking group in the league based on PFF team grades. Whether Saffold returns to Los Angeles in 2019 or takes his talents elsewhere, he will bring a proven, veteran force at the guard position.

Point being there will be lots of options. at OL. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:17 AM, BigO said:

Seriously, who is Bell supposed to run behind? A QB needs a solid line to have time to throw. A rb needs a solid line to run behind. Bell would go from being a thoroughbred to a Shetland pony behind this putrid OL.  3 holding penalties on 1 play by the OL. THREE! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that  before. ?

to be fair two were on the same player :)

Archived