John Harbaugh to the Jets?

DetroitRed

I don't understand posters who want an offensive-minded coach who understands the direction in which the NFL is headed but who also think hiring Harbaugh is the greatest thing since ice cream. The game is passing coaches like Harbaugh by - and Baltimore is smart enough to see this.

Who he brings in as OC doesn't matter, he is what he is.

1 minute ago, tuffhand said:

I don't understand posters who want an offensive-minded coach who understands the direction in which the NFL is headed but who also think hiring Harbaugh is the greatest thing since ice cream. The game is passing coaches like Harbaugh by - and Baltimore is smart enough to see this.

well said

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And he’s really sucked against the patriots in the playoffs. 2-1 record and the only loss was because the pats got to switch eligible receivers before the snap without telling anyone

And don't forget the missed chip shot FG

1 hour ago, tuffhand said:

I hear ya and I think it’s a matter of weighing out the pros and cons is all.

Harbaugh

Pros: experienced, super bowl winning coach who can give the team an identity and handle the job. 

Cons:struggles with offense and would have to assemble a great offensive staff which he failed to do in Baltimore.

Offensive minded college coach or offensive coordinator/positions coach

Pros: offensive minded and hopefully innovative. Can possibly groom a young QB. 

Cons: completely unproven with no NFL head coaching experience. Would have to find at least a decent defensive coordinator (which should be easy so not really a con).

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Wow! We actually have Jet fans poo pooing the idea of John Harbaugh coaching the NY Jets, lmao! There are no words! It's probably highly unlikely he would come here but if he would, the Johnsons should have the Limo in front of his house as soon as he's let go by the Ravens. 

You give the Johnsons too much credit,,they are never in front of anything with this team!!!!

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His fault Lee Evans can't hold onto the football. If he was a better HC Evans would have held it longer. Also it was a TD anyway.

That game was SO FILLED WITH BS calls to get Brady & the Pats past the nasty Ravens. That game must have drove Suggs insane.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That game was SO FILLED WITH BS calls to get Brady & the Pats past the nasty Ravens. That game must have drove Suggs insane.

Yes and the next chance the Ravens got vs the Pats they kept the foot on the pedal, Harbaugh understood you never have enough points with Brady on the other side.

Harbaugh, Kubiak, and Pagano in 19!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, varjet said:

Harbaugh would add an adult presence and upgrade the credibility of the Jets organization.

Don't know if giving him personnel helps-he had Ozzie and others doing a good job for him at the Ravens.  Like Parcells, he may not be up for that.  

The Ravens want to win a championship and could conclude that they want a change and someone more offensively oriented.  A DeFellipo could agree to join that organization.  He would be nuts to join the Jets.  

The Jets organization needs rehab.  Marty M is Harbaugh's OC.  Harbaugh and the Johnsons have to find a way to upgrade the OC and QB coaching, and to find a real DC.  Although Harbaugh is an improvement, his type is heading the wrong way in the NFL.  

They would need to figure out the relationship between Harbaugh and the GM/President.  

I don't know whether Harbaugh can take the Jets to the Super Bowl, but he is worth a shot and at worst case be a good next step to improving the organization.  It would say alot for the Johnsons to hire someone of his presence, which means it is likely not to happen.  

Really good post. 

I am lukewarm to the idea of Harbaugh.

Due to many of the same positive reasons you mention, plus one more...  Harbaugh's Ravens teams are one of the very few in the league that were never intimidated playing New England.

My concern is also that his OC choices have sucked, and I completely agree that "his types are headed in the wrong direction."

I am really hoping for a coach that thinks outside the box.  Bucks the current, boring trends.  Ultra aggressive.  Brings some entertainment factor for the fans.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

You're signing up for his statistics, not his SB, not his playoff appearances, none of that.  Flacco and Harbaugh are both lucky the Ravens are perpetually in the top 5 on defense or else their careers would be much different.  And I lump Harbaugh into that b/c he has nothing to do with the defense that's been there since Billick.  All of that credit goes to Mike Nolan for bringing the 3-4 to the Ravens and then the FO for bringing in players that to this day excel in that system.

So I only get the statistics but we leave out the important wins, including a Super Bowl. I'm not following. He also gets no credit for a defense that has new players at every position since Billick and Nolan. What holdover am I missing.....Suggs.

If we get Harbaugh and Sam goes 20td's to 15ints, wins a superbowl and completely busts out of the league the next year I'd be happy. All I want is one.....I'm not greedy. I'm also one year younger than Jolot so I understand.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

And don't forget the missed chip shot FG

Still pissed about that game.  Ravens still could have won in spite all that but Flacco threw that dumb pick at the end

Point is no active head coach has owned Belichick and Brady more in the playoffs than John Harbaugh 

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't think harbaugh is a given at this moment.  he's still hc of the ravens and the jets can't approach him until after the season ends.  on the other hand we've seen how many deals are made during the season that don't come into effect until the new league year begins . they're all hush-hush so the shield doesn't get embarrassed by all the tampering.  it just stands to reason that if the rumors does become hot and from multiple sources then there's a good chance it could be true.

at the very least it will give the jets fans something good to think about at the end of the season.

Jim Harbaugh might actually be more of a possibility.  Michigan will miss the college fb playoffs again and trying to compete with the Alabama’s and Ohio States for blue chip recruits has to be wearing on him

• Upvote 1

No head coach has ever won the super bowl with two franchises.
Harbaugh is going to bring in his dinosaur coordinators that won’t be able fix Darnold.

Dont him and his dinosaur coordinators have a winning record and one of the best defenses in the league? How are the jets doing currently?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Really good post. 

I am lukewarm to the idea of Harbaugh.

Due to many of the same positive reasons you mention, plus one more...  Harbaugh's Ravens teams are one of the very few in the league that were never intimidated playing New England.

My concern is also that his OC choices have sucked, and I completely agree that "his types are headed in the wrong direction."

I am really hoping for a coach that thinks outside the box.  Bucks the current, boring trends.  Ultra aggressive.  Brings some entertainment factor for the fans.

Was Andy Reid heading in the wrong direction after being fired from Philadelphia?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Jim Harbaugh might actually be more of a possibility.  Michigan will miss the college fb playoffs again and trying to compete with the Alabama’s and Ohio States for blue chip recruits has to be wearing on him

either guy would be a huge step up.  interesting stat in today's ny post. 5 of the ny jets worst defensive outings (by yardage) under bowles/rogers have come this season.  some defensive guru the jets have as head coach.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

either guy would be a huge step up.  interesting stat in today's ny post. 5 of the ny jets worst defensive outings (by yardage) under bowles/rogers have come this season.  some defensive guru the jets have as head coach.

Bowles and Rodgers are trash.  Should have been fired 2 years ago

• Upvote 1

I'm in favor of a young offensive minded guy to save Sam Darnold...
But if we're going with a "retread" I don't think you can do much better than Harbaugh.
- Super Bowl Champion
- 100-69 regular season record
- 10-5 playoff record
- 6 playoff appearances in his first 7 seasons
- Only one losing season in 10 years.
- Well respected coach whose teams are always disciplined and prepared. CEO type who is connected and will bring in good coordinators.

And did all of that with a mediocre Joe Flacco.
Hiring someone with a past history of running a winning franchise for a decade would be amazing.

He can adapt just needs to hire the right OC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4