Jonah Williams or Josh Allen at #3?

Freemanm

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

At this point, there is a pretty good chance he had a clean second half against Ferrell, we pick him third and have to spend the whole summer reading people complaining here about picking the guy that got knocked on butt that one time...

Do you remember when they said Vernon Gholston beat Joe Thomas once so he was better  lol

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

I feel so old. I was like 'who is this loser doing a bad imitation of ODB'...of course it's on of the top selling rappers of his era...

Dude, knowing Lil Wayne what old people do... you’re beyond old... I’m sorry

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I really don't know.  I think we're just hoping and praying that Jonah Williams in a LT worthy of a #3 pick.  He's an excellent player, probably worthy of being taken in the Top 10....I'm just not sure if #3 is worth it.

Samesies.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:09 PM, Warfish said:

We tried the "draft Defense every 1st round, always draft Defense, defense, defense, defense!" concept for long enough.

It's time to try an Offensive Coach, and drafting Offensive players.

Everything for the next three+ years is about Darnold.  Every pick, every FA we chase, every coach we hire, needs to be first and foremost about building behind Darnold.

Yet another hyped up reach at "edge pass rusher" does nothing for Darnold. 

A stud O-lineman protects Darnold.

So I draft the O-Lineman, and hope our existing 1st round pick DE who was supposed to be our "elite edge rush" finally gets off his ass and does something on that score.

Absolutely.

An Edge Rusher supposed sack artist is virtually almost as big a roll of the dice as projecting a Franchise QB, these kids can pile up stat upon stat playing D but once they’re playing against men if they’re thrown just a millisecond off their rush, the rush that got home in college is now worthless in the pros.  Exhibit A Vernon Gholston. And not just him, many teams draft projected pass rushers who never come close to living up to their billing.

Olineman are not sure things either, but the probability is much greater you’ll get a kid with all the measurables and he WILL at the very least protect your Franchise QB.

So that’s what it’s all about right now, build more time in the pocket for Darnold, and hey can you imagine if the Jets get some Oline that can just average run block too? Keeping the opposition honest and they can’t sell out to the run or the pass like they did all year?  How much more will that up Darnold’s game?

If Darnold turns into the scoring machine he was in college, and you know he has the potential to do the same on the pro level, you’ve already seen all the throws he has made, the stats he put up are meaningless looking at the big picture, he’s already made throws many “Top 10 QB’s” can not, running for his life virtually every drop back and then fitting a ball in the tightest of windows because his receivers virtually never get separation....will it really matter if there is a guy on the Edge who can up the Jets sack total somewhat?  But it will matter if this current garbage Oline gets Darnold hurt, thats for sure.

Besides, you just had the worst coach in the NFL let go along with the worst DC in the NFL, who happens to be his close friend and for some reason was kept employed the entire 4 years, whilst virtually everyone else was thrown under the bus by Mr. Nice Guy and made to walk the plank.  If that’s not “addition by subtraction” then I don’t know what is.

Oline and more Oline please...and make it snappy.

What game were you guys watching? Williams got bullied all game by Ferrel, it wasn’t until he started getting help that Ferrel was neutralized. I understand now why there were concerns about him as an OT in the pros, he moves like a guard. No way I want him with the 3rd pick. I’m not sure there are any OTs that are worthy of a 3rd overall selection this year, may have to take a defensive player (Greedy Williams or a pass rusher), Wideout, or trade out for a team that wants Haskins. 

5 hours ago, Sully80 said:

What game were you guys watching? Williams got bullied all game by Ferrel, it wasn’t until he started getting help that Ferrel was neutralized. I understand now why there were concerns about him as an OT in the pros, he moves like a guard. No way I want him with the 3rd pick. I’m not sure there are any OTs that are worthy of a 3rd overall selection this year, may have to take a defensive player (Greedy Williams or a pass rusher), Wideout, or trade out for a team that wants Haskins. 

Which passrusher? Bosa and Allen are probably going one and two after the combine. 

Williams didn’t play great but made a lot of great plays and Ferrell didn’t get a sack on him. He got one major pressure and a few pressures. Ferrell is also mocked going in the top 5. 

Williams also played better in the second half and was one on one against Ferrell and the other DL. 

5 hours ago, Sully80 said:

Totally agree & started a thread before seeing the additions to this thread here. I was underwhelmed watching Jonah move. I didn't see quick feet at all, I saw why some saw him as a RT & he does move like a guard.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Totally agree & started a thread before seeing the additions to this thread here. I was underwhelmed watching Jonah move. I didn't see quick feet at all, I saw why some saw him as a RT & he does move like a guard.

Move him to OG and let him play there and work into OT. He looks like a good OG so he fills a need and can move around the line. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

He’s not as good as Cam Robinson who was a second round pick

7 hours ago, Sully80 said:

Comparing Jonah to Brick is ridiculous.  Brick was bigger, quicker and had longer wingspan Brick was also considered one of the best OT prospects in a generation Jonah is being mocked as a middle to late first round pick

Draft Allen or Ferrell or trade Haskins to the Jags

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Comparing Jonah to Brick is ridiculous.  Brick was bigger, quicker and had longer wingspan Brick was also considered one of the best OT prospects in a generation Jonah is being mocked as a middle to late first round pick

Draft Allen or Ferrell or trade Haskins to the Jags

Definitely not comparable. Brick was a much better prospect. 

You want to draft Ferrell who couldn’t get a sack on the player you think sucks?

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Which passrusher? Bosa and Allen are probably going one and two after the combine. 

Williams didn’t play great but made a lot of great plays and Ferrell didn’t get a sack on him. He got one major pressure and a few pressures. Ferrell is also mocked going in the top 5. 

Williams also played better in the second half and was one on one against Ferrell and the other DL. 

I’d be lying to you if I told you I knew who to take at 3. It sure sounds like allen and bosa are the top 2 guys, ferrel impressed me and I wouldn’t mind him especially if we switch to a 4-3 under the new head coach. As for Williams, I know I don’t want him, I don’t understand how you watch that game and feel comfortable with him as the pick at 3. That was nfl talent he went up against and he got bullied most of the night. He looked better in the second half but he also got a lot more help with ferrel in the second half. He held ferrel in check on plays where Tua got rid of the ball very quickly but he rarely held his guy for a longer developing play. Tua was running for his life the whole game, give me a pass rusher if you think he’s a 10 sack+ guy, Greedy Williams, a WR if you think he’s a #1 or trade out and open up your options.

It’s clear that you need to find a way to trade back or you’re in some trouble as far as reaching goes.

luckily, Dwayne Haskins is going to continue to get a lot of hype being that he is the only good QB that could feasibly go in the top 5. He had an excellent season, excellent rose bowl and there are 3 QB needy teams picking one after the other at 5, 6 and 7.

Its ideal. We need it to actually happen though because I’m coming to realize that you simply can’t pick at 3 and get a value pick if you are the Jets.

If the stars align just a little, then either Haskins is going to command a trade up into the top-3 or we will land Allen, assuming he continues to impress through the process.  So the stars aligned last year.  Are we on a roll or did we use up all our 50-years of karmic credit in one shot?  I guess we'll have to see.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I was all aboard the Williams train prior to the national championship game, after watching him get bullied all game and get exposed as slow, I’m off. I can’t tell you who exactly id want at 3 but I know it’s not Williams. 

my interest with Jonah was whether he could be a rock solid G at the NFL level. it was almost universal that he was a stretch at T. i was at work and it was too busy for me to pay close attention from like 5 mins into the 2nd Q, so...      but, what I saw, I said #3?? No way. Same for #92. Leo redux. Cant attack the QB. 

in the semi, which i saw more of, I would also pass on #99   

Archived