Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1. Hes not an unknown, hes turned around 2 programs.

2. Hes been given accolades, wtf are you saying

3. You know what encapsulates fans like you?  You have no idea, no proof, no facts that support the idea that he cans succeed.  Or that someone else can.  But you're predicting fail because its the Jets.  

Turning around Temple and getting Baylor to .500 are not accolades, sorry. There are a million coaches that have done the same thing in college. I'm predicting fail because it has a much higher chance of failure than hiring a Super Bowl winner over money and GM interference. You encapsulate the reason why Woody keeps lining his pockets, because you eat up anything they serve you. Sorry, I'm not biting

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WayneChrebet80 said:

Eight job openings this year and by all accounts jets were the only team interested in this guy.

Unbelievable

Colts were very interested last year? Idk man. I’m going to have to talk myself into this hire if he winds up the HC. I didn’t wanna have to do that.

Just now, WayneChrebet80 said:

Eight job openings this year and by all accounts jets were the only team interested in this guy.

Unbelievable

To be fair nobody really knew if the Jets were actually interested in him. College coaches need to keep everything locked tight for recruiting purposes so who knows who else reached out and maybe brought him in.

4 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Unbelievable

Who else was interested in the guy that the Packers hired, or the guy that the Browns hired, or the guy that the Broncos hired?

We don't know who else was interested in Rhule, because we didn't even know for sure about the Jets interviewing Rhule.

But the Baylor AD mentioned in his interview yesterday that NFL teams, plural, were interested in Rhule.

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

Turning around Temple and getting Baylor to .500 are not accolades, sorry. There are a million coaches that have done the same thing in college. I'm predicting fail because it has a much higher chance of failure than hiring a Super Bowl winner over money and GM interference. You encapsulate the reason why Woody keeps lining his pockets, because you eat up anything they serve you. Sorry, I'm not biting

Al Golden turned around Temple. Matt Rhule was head coach on their two best teams. 

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

. Rhule has done that more than once with Temple and Baylor.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

1. Hes not an unknown, hes turned around 2 programs.

How is it turning around a program to get them to .500? (Baylor) I understand about the sexual assault thing, but .500 isn't "turned around", it's average and they were better a few years prior.

How does having a decent record at a small college (Temple) qualify you for one of the 32 available jobs at the very top of your profession? It's like saying I managed a mcDonalds so I'm now qualified to run a fortune 500 company.  Guy never even won a bowl game.

I don't get it. Why are we putting faith in Mac and CJ to find this diamond in the rough and out smart the entire league. The chances of that being a thing are almost nil

FIRE MACCAGNAN!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

Little bird just told me Matt Rhule is indeed at #Jets facility as I type this.

To be honest I have no clue who this guy is but it does look like he may be someone.  I have a feeling he's right though.  Thoughts on the potential Rhule signing?

Probably friends with a janitor i

2 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Little bird just told me Matt Rhule is indeed at #Jets facility as I type this.

To be honest I have no clue who this guy is but it does look like he may be someone.  I have a feeling he's right though.  Thoughts on the potential Rhule signing?

Who are these people. Schefter should be on this.

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He's coached on O for the past decade.

He's not a first time head coach.

Apart from having all the facts wrong, your post is accurate.

Thanks. Except he was a linebacker in college. Coached defense for most of his career and talked specifically in an article he looks at the game is a defensive perspective. Also obviously referring to first time HC in the NFL which is much different than college.

1 minute ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Unbelievable

It reeks of a sh*t move by a sh*t GM (Maccagnan) with a clueless weak owner (Christopher Johnson) being advised by a has-been GM (Casserly) GM who's still milking paychecks from the NFL Network.

29 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Agree. I just fail to see how this guy is a better hire than McCarthy. Rhule has bust written all over him.

It's certainly possible. I am logical enough to see that. 

It's also possible that McCarthy was a product of Aaron Rodgers and not vice versa. Unfortunately, many of the McCarthy lovers on this board refuse to accept this possibility. They don't even care. They just want an established vet that the media can't mock. They fail to see that many of the in game decisions that drove us crazy about Bowles is what got McCarthy fired in Green Bay. 

The McCarthy firing wasn't a mutual decision, it wasn't a product of the Packers trading the rights to McCarthy to another team. it was the the Packers being sick and tired of him. Sure Rodgers being a petulant child had something to do with it, but that doesn't explain the in-season firing. 

Honestly the McCarthy Rhule debate has been fun to read, but at this point I really just want a decision to be made. Both have pros and cons. I'm not here to debate them. 

The powers that be need to make a decision. there's a difference between due diligence and procrastinating. The longer they drag this out, the more inept they look, and the more it looks like there is a power struggle at the top. Which makes them look terrible, unprepared, and without a plan.

Imagine what the coaching search would be like without Darnold in there pocket. No bueno.

Honestly the McCarthy Rhule debate has been fun to read, but at this point I really just want a decision to be made. Both have pros and cons. I'm not here to debate them. 
The powers that be need to make a decision. there's a difference between due diligence and procrastinating. The longer they drag this out, the more inept they look, and the more it looks like there is a power struggle at the top. Which makes them look terrible, unprepared, and without a plan.
Imagine what the coaching search would be like without Darnold in there pocket. No bueno.

Yeah, imagine...they’d prob end up with a first time head coach from college, without an impressive resume to show for his college tenure.

2 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

We'd be hiring Matt Rhule?

1 minute ago, Jetsbb said:

Thanks. Except he was a linebacker in college. Coached defense for most of his career and talked specifically in an article he looks at the game is a defensive perspective. Also obviously referring to first time HC in the NFL which is much different than college.

Yes, he was a LB in college then coached D. But then he moved to O.

Rick Dennison played LB in college and the pros, but now he is our offensive line coach and running game coordinator. Does that make him a defensive coach?

Rhule is a well-rounded head coach, with an appreciation for and experience of both sides of the ball as a coach.

He's not just another defensive coordinator getting a promotion.

Direct Quote from Matt Rhule we are hiring are hiring our 6th straight defensive head coach!

"We're going to run inside zone, outside zone, power, counter and throw in some RPOs. As a defensive guy, I think that's an illegal thing, but if you can do it, I'm going to do it," Rhule said. "I could run the triple option and those numbers would all still be my things that I want to reach. That sort of formula, however we get to it, we get to it." 

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/243446868/matt-rhule-baylor-bears-changes-offense

6 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Al Golden turned around Temple. Matt Rhule was head coach on their two best teams. 

Golden definitely started the process. Al Golden was also there for 5 years and never won 10 games. 

Baylor was a disaster. Many coaches wanted no part of it. Rhule embraced the challenge and turned things around in a year despite losing a ton of recruits to the scandal. 

That doesn't guarantee that Rhule will be a great coach but there are no guarantees with any of these coaches. McCarthy on the other hand, makes many old timers all warm and fuzzy on the inside therefore that is the obviously the smart move. 

10 minutes ago, Icer said:

Turning around Temple and getting Baylor to .500 are not accolades, sorry.I'm predicting fail because it has a much higher chance of failure than hiring a Super Bowl winner over money and GM interference. You encapsulate the reason why Woody keeps lining his pockets, because you eat up anything they serve you. Sorry, I'm not biting

Good for you, youve got it all figured out.  Then you had to go over the edge with the " There are a million coaches that have done the same thing in college. " nonsense

No shlt, really, theres a bigger chance of failure than success with a HC hire?  Really?  Wow, do you also see dead people?  We all know this.

And the last line is the best.  One, Woody isnt a part of the hire.  Two, how does hiring Ruhl line his pockets?  LOL, this is the lamest line of thinking ever.  635 mil, on a team, almost 1 bil on his half of the stadium, just under 100 mil for a practice facility, theyre trying to save peanuts in relationship to these costs.

Sorry, you bit it alright

1 minute ago, Jetsbb said:

Direct Quote from Matt Rhule we are hiring are hiring our 6th straight defensive head coach!

"We're going to run inside zone, outside zone, power, counter and throw in some RPOs. As a defensive guy, I think that's an illegal thing, but if you can do it, I'm going to do it," Rhule said. "I could run the triple option and those numbers would all still be my things that I want to reach. That sort of formula, however we get to it, we get to it." 

That's your evidence? In the same quote, he talks about running the triple option. Do they do that on D?

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

How is it turning around a program to get them to .500? (Baylor) I understand about the sexual assault thing, but .500 isn't "turned around", it's average and the were better a few years prior.

How does having a decent record at a small college (Temple) qualify you for one of the 32 available jobs at the very top of your profession? It's like saying I managed a mcDonalds so I'm now qualified to run a fortune 100 company.  Guy never even won a bowl game.

FIRE MACCAGNAN!!!!!!!

When Rhule is hired, we should just put it under the “FIRE MACCAGNAN” thread since that is the action that needs to be taken afterwards.

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

How is it turning around a program to get them to .500? (Baylor) I understand about the sexual assault thing, but .500 isn't "turned around", it's average and they were better a few years prior.

You mean from 1-11 to 7-6?  You think its should have been more?

How about Temple?  From 2-10 to 10-3.  Hes can coach apparently.  Not saying hes the next great HC but theres no real reason to think he cant coach.  Then again most dont want Gase or McCarthy so whats the point

I am going to speculate here, which may be wasting my time:

• I think McCarthy was the easy choice and had alot of appeal.  My guess is that Mac would have neg'd it somewhat.  McCarthy likely also probably made things difficult, demanded lots of money and other things, and Manish did not help.  He is very old school, and to be honest his track record at hiring assistants and staff is not great.  The Green Bay organization made him look good, until they lost their draft touch.  I still think he is not completely committed to coaching next year.
  • Rhule has alot of "New York" qualities that Chris also found attractive.  More of an administrator/take no nonsense type of guy.   Rhule's viability really depends on the staff he can build.
  • The fact that Arizona would hire KK makes the Rhule hire less ridiculous.  KK is too immature for the Jets.  I was not seeing the Jets hiring KK, LaFleur, Arians (would not come here), Kitchens (already a Brown), Fangio (not bad choice, but no more defense), Vance Joseph, Bienemy, etc.  The Jets are logically down to their natural choices-Gase, McCarthy and Rhule.  

It could all be coming down to...ok, if we hire you, what does your staff look like?  Chris needs to put up the money to make that work.  

10 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/243446868/matt-rhule-baylor-bears-changes-offense

If we get lucky, Monken will hop on board as OC

Archived