Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Icer said:

You will have your proof when they announce in the hire in the next few days.

And it will prove what, that you dont like him?
As if that proves he cant coach, because you just know.  You've actually done this, know all the candidates, ect, etc........

12 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is a little more believable then that Wikipedia nonsense;

Matt Rhule’s name has been kept quiet for the majority of the Jets’ search for a new head coach, but he remains in the mix to land the job.

According to ESPN’s Dan Graziano, Rhule interviewed with New York on Sunday. The Baylor head coach had a desire to keep his interview on the down low for recruiting purposes, but it is no longer a secret that he sat down with Christopher Johnson and Mike Maccagnan.

In only two years at Baylor, Rhule has resurrected a program that was marred by scandal and looming NCAA violations. After a one-win 2017 season, Rhule led the Bears to a 7-6 record and a bowl game victory in 2018.

Rhule is a native New Yorker and spent a year as an offensive line coach for the New York Giants prior to becoming the head coach at Temple. He comes along with an impressive resume and is well-respected around football. Rhule was also in the mix for the Indianapolis Colts head coach opening last offseason.

The belief that Rhule’s coaching style would translate well to the NFL has him in the mix for the Jets job alongside names such as Mike McCarthy and Adam Gase. Although he has yet to hold a head coaching position in the professional ranks and has not coached in the NFL in seven years, Rhule is familiar with the league’s style of play. In all likelihood, it would not take him long to adjust to the new level of competition.

On Tuesday, the Jets concluded their first round of interviews, as Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken was the last candidate to have his name called. Now, New York is deciding whether to add more candidates into the mix or begin its second round of interviews.

Assuming Rhule is brought back for a second interview, he should be viewed as a serious contender to land the job. He may not have the experience that McCarthy and Gase have at the professional level, but he remains in the mix nonetheless.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/09/matt-rhule-still-in-the-mix-for-jets-head-coaching-job/

Bump for possible penetration.....

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Potentially. It's also possible CJ didn't like the McCarthy interview. That report out of Cleveland about them wanting to retain Kitchens is interesting.  It is entirely possible that CJ was turned off by some of the ideas MM had. 

I'm a McCarthy supporter, but we really don't know what went on. CJ seemed to be pretty confident about what he wanted in that press conference. Even seemed to limit Macc's power in the entire org. during that interview. 

He doesn't know enough about football to be "turned off".  Then again neither does Maccagnan.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

IMO opinion Harbaugh wouldn’t be Harbaugh with out Ozzie Newsome.   I have zero idea what Matt Rhule will or can be, but his fate is going to be determined by how Maccagnan does his job.  Coming straight from college should give Rhule a better understanding of the talent coming out for the draft, hopefully Mac listens a little.  

Id bet he would be.  Making sound coaching decisions and being a leader isnt dependent on having talent.  You can see hes a coach.  

3 minutes ago, MehlFreeman said:

Rather have Defilippo than Rhule. Who cares what Zimmer thinks.

Yeah, on what level would you find a reason to take a 1st time OC who was fired in the middle of that 1st season over someone who has helped turn around two programs as a HC?

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

A3E60BA9-B8F2-42DC-9F3B-E13E94B385E1.jpeg

You know, all you do is post pictures of your butt buddy but you have YET to state why you are infatuated with this guy. 

He basically has no NFL experience, a losing record, he’s not an offensive guy. What else am I missing? I actually think you like this guy only because everyone else is against this hire. 

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

IMO opinion Harbaugh wouldn’t be Harbaugh with out Ozzie Newsome.   I have zero idea what Matt Rhule will or can be, but his fate is going to be determined by how Maccagnan does his job.  Coming straight from college should give Rhule a better understanding of the talent coming out for the draft, hopefully Mac listens a little.  

No coach does well when the GM feeds the roster a pipeline of garbage year after year.

30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

While I understand your point, history says that a college HC who jumps to the NFL as a HC with little NFL experience does not succeed..... ever.  Unless your name is Jimmy Johnson. The college and pro game are very different. Traits that make you a successful college HC are not the same traits that make you a successful NFL HC.

If you want to take a crack it, you can name for me the college HC's that jumped to the NFL with little NFL experience who enjoyed success as an NFL HC?

I will see your Jimmy Johnson and raise you one Barry Switzer

I think if they do, it will be the end all be all. Almost every fan will hate it. This guy has done nothing and he’s not even this big offensive genius. The hire would remind me of Herm. U have the answer in front of you. Hire McCarthy. If not, then the Jets get what they deserve. Empty stadium and or filled with opposing fans and dragged thru the mud daily by fans and media.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

can someone tell me how many ranked teams Temple beat while he was there? in fact....can anyone tell me how many ranked teams has Matt Rhule beat in his entire college career? i havent looked...but going to guess 0....career wins vs ranked CFB teams.

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You know, all you do is post pictures of your butt buddy but you have YET to state why you are infatuated with this guy. 

He basically has no NFL experience, a losing record, he’s not an offensive guy. What else am I missing? I actually think you like this guy only because everyone else is against this hire. 

Math is a thing

And he is an O guy.

10 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Jets are almost as bad as the Mets.  You see those shyster conmen who own the team parade their new GM out to the media saying that "everything" is changing?  No more "ifs" going into the season....Nothing is changing...Nothing haha.

totally, but i wouldn’t even put the mets in the same class as the jets…. been to citified? puts new yankee stadium to shame. also, mets have been to multiple world series in my lifetime and won it. 

mets > jets all day everyday as an organization 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Definitely the prototype Jet hire.

Always trying to get cute and virtually always being wrong and this goes on Decade after Decade...things gifted on a silver platter, Marino, Sapp and on and on and on....."Lets get cute".

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can someone tell me how many ranked teams Temple beat while he was there? in fact....can anyone tell me how many ranked teams has Matt Rhule beat in his entire college career? i havent looked...but going to guess 0....career wins vs ranked CFB teams.

Ding Ding Ding. But he did have a signature win in 2018 winning a home game against an Oklahoma State team that finished 7-6 

Archived