Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

and who eventually wins and gets the job. CJ must regret keeping Maccagnan

Even if McCarthy wins, we could be in for some turmoil while the power structure shifts away from Macc and towards McCarthy. Expect A LOT of stories coming out (spearheaded by Manish) about a major fracture and disconnect within the organization leading up to and surrounding the draft and FA, with the blunt of the narrative pointing towards McCarthy as the trouble one. Although, when all is said and done, I believe we'll come out the better for it, once McCarthy surfaces as the alpha and Macc is neutered and/or fired. But this following off-season/season might be mired in controversy until it's over.

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

motivational skills that worked with 17-21 year olds.  

Lets see how that works with highly paid, adult narcissistic divas.

If this is the end result, it is nauseating.

This is the big risk with any college coach. Sometimes they run into a wall when dealing withe change in culture. If this happens, though, they usually don't last long at all -- Lou Holtz, Nick Saban, Greg Schiano, Chip Kelly.

26 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

yeah, thats what I meant.

I'm ok with a Ruhle hire, and I liked your original post, so I'm not try to quibble. However if I remember correctly he was the ASSISTANT offensive line coach. that sounds like an intern-ish type position to me.

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

RHULE WENT 1-11 IN 2017

AND 7-6 LAST YEAR.

STOP THE MADNESSS!!!!

Rhule took over a program that lost many recruits and couldn't pay players to come to Baylor. 

It's impossible to win without good players in the NFL or college. 

You know nothing about college football. 

STOP THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

RHULE WENT 1-11 IN 2017

AND 7-6 LAST YEAR.

STOP THE MADNESSS!!!!

Baylor was in shambles after the rape scandal and program almost got shut down. Lost tons of recruits and players were free to leave without consequence. Not saying Rhule is the best guy just letting you know there is a story behind the 1-11 and getting them back above .500 and winning a bowl game in such short time is actually impressive. You obviously dont follow college football and thats ok, just informing you.

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

If the Jets don't pick him then kudos for them not caving in to pressure by MM and some of the media. 

No, they'll just be caving in to pressure by the other MM's: Manish Mehta and Mike Maccagnan.

FFS.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Rhule took over a program that lost many recruits and couldn't pay players to come to Baylor. 

It's impossible to win without good players in the NFL or college. 

You know nothing about college football. 

STOP THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

Its scary when opinions are formed off of 5 minutes of google searches. End of the day none of us know how it will shake out and we all have our opinions but at least do some research 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

1- I don't mind McCarthy I am just not blinded to other  options because I am scared of the unknown like some others here

2- Rhule completely turned Temple around and was in the process of turning Baylor around. 
3- Rhule did coach for 1 year in the NFL under Coughlin so it's not like he has never been affiliated with an NFL team

4- KK is definitely a more dynamic offensive mind, but Rhule is BY FAR the more accomplished Head Coach to people that know anything about College Football. But this is Jets board and I don't expect many of you to know much about college football. It's different. It's scary. It's the unknown. 

But the problem is that what Rhule has "accomplished" in college is meaningless in the NFL.  If he "turned around" Baylor as you say that means nothing on the pro level.  What it takes to turn around a college problem has nothing to do with being successful on a pro level.

There is nothing translatable that Rhule has done on the college level. If he was innovative you could argue that he could try to bring that innovation to the pro level.  He doesn't even have that.

Plus, as to his NFL experience, that one year was merely as an assistant Oline coach.  He didn't even run a unit, let alone coordinate a side of the football. Plus, that was over 10 years ago.

In the end, I'm all for considering other options, but McCarthy, for what he brings to the table as he relates to Darnold, remains the best option.  If there was another NFL pro-ready coach with a history of developing QBs then I'll be all-for considering him.  The bottom line is that Rhule doesn't fit that description by any stretch of the imagination.

2 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Baylor was in shambles after the rape scandal and program almost got shut down. Lost tons of recruits and players were free to leave without consequence. Not saying Rhule is the best guy just letting you know there is a story behind the 1-11 and getting them back above .500 and winning a bowl game in such short time is actually impressive. You obviously dont follow college football and thats ok, just informing you.

I didn’t know that, thanks for the info. 

Hard to contemplate that the one blue chip coach in this years head coach musical chairs might be the one guy to miss out.

Hard to believe anything out there right now. But no one is going to grill you for hiring McCarthy, he will in all likely hood lead the Jets to regular post season action at the least.

You hire Rhule and from day one you're measured against what McCarthy may have done. Any misstep, any 1-3 start to a season, any blowout and McCarthy will be bought up time and again.

You want to walk that path, ok, but be aware of what you're signing on to.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

But the problem is that what Rhule has "accomplished" in college is meaningless in the NFL.  If he "turned around" Baylor as you say that means nothing on the pro level.  What it takes to turn around a college problem has nothing to do with being successful on a pro level.

There is nothing translatable that Rhule has done on the college level. If he was innovative you could argue that he could try to bring that innovation to the pro level.  He doesn't even have that.

Plus, as to his NFL experience, that one year was merely as an assistant Oline coach.  He didn't even run a unit, let alone coordinate a side of the football. Plus, that was over 10 years ago.

In the end, I'm all for considering other options, but McCarthy, for what he brings to the table as he relates to Darnold, remains the best option.  If there was another NFL pro-ready coach with a history of developing QBs then I'll be all-for considering him.  The bottom line is that Rhule doesn't fit that description by any stretch of the imagination.

Plus Rhule has never had sustained success anywhere. Having a couple of decent years in a bad conference does not make you a program builder.

4 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Hard to contemplate that the one blue chip coach in this years head coach musical chairs might be the one guy to miss out.

Hard to believe anything out there right now. But no one is going to grill you for hiring McCarthy, he will in all likely hood lead the Jets to regular post season action at the least.

You hire Rhule and from day one you're measured against what McCarthy may have done. Any misstep, any 1-3 start to a season, any blowout and McCarthy will be bought up time and again.

You want to walk that path, ok, but be aware of what you're signing on to.

The only way you get fired for hiring IBM is if you work for the Jets I guess.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

Plenty of former NFL Head Coaches and Coordinators have failed.

I think many NFL teams make the mistake of going the safe route with old familiar names. 

Again, I am not going to be upset if go with McCarthy but I certainly don't mind the likes of Kingsbury or Rhule. I also don't mind Gase/Monken. 

I just laugh at everyone freaking out at the notion of bringing in one of the most highly regarded coaches in College football especially since he did coach, even if it's a low level capacity, in the NFL under Coughlin. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All this noise is getting tiresome. Make a hire already and let's start assembling a coaching staff before everyone is scooped up by the rest of the league.

+1 we need to get on with our complaining based in reality not speculation, although that does rob us of some extra complaining

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

“Trending toward” WTF does that mean even!!

Right?  I drove for 4 1/2 hours today. I listened to NFL radio the entire time.  I heard zero that pointed to this being real. Literally nothing. 

Not sure how some kind of gloss over the lack of NFL experience. College and the NFL are really two different animals. It’s great he turned two programs around. That has nothing to do with running a NFL locker room filled with multi-millionaires and large egos.

The Jets always seem to get first time head coaches. As a fan there is always a learning curve for them. Why in the world would you have to have a young FQB deal with that in addition to learning how to be a Pro!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right?  I drove for 4 1/2 hours today. I listened to NFL radio the entire time.  I heard zero that pointed to this being real. Literally nothing. 

Its all speculation but with McCarthy coming outright saying its Jets or nothing for him and it still not being done definitely points towards Rhules favor right now

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

1- I don't mind McCarthy I am just not blinded to other  options because I am scared of the unknown like some others here

2- Rhule completely turned Temple around and was in the process of turning Baylor around. 
3- Rhule did coach for 1 year in the NFL under Coughlin so it's not like he has never been affiliated with an NFL team

4- KK is definitely a more dynamic offensive mind, but Rhule is BY FAR the more accomplished Head Coach to people that know anything about College Football. But this is Jets board and I don't expect many of you to know much about college football. It's different. It's scary. It's the unknown. 

While I understand your point, history says that a college HC who jumps to the NFL as a HC with little NFL experience does not succeed..... ever.  Unless your name is Jimmy Johnson. The college and pro game are very different. Traits that make you a successful college HC are not the same traits that make you a successful NFL HC.

If you want to take a crack it, you can name for me the college HC's that jumped to the NFL with little NFL experience who enjoyed success as an NFL HC?

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Its all speculation but with McCarthy coming outright saying its Jets or nothing for him and it still not being done definitely points towards Rhules favor right now

Yup.  If clown-boys CJ and Mcc really wanted McCarthy they would have signed the guy up already.

Just now, Jet Life said:

extremely disconcerting. you finally have a Super Bowl caliber HC say it’s Jets or no one, and we are still thinking about it. 

the entire league will laugh at us over this. 

and what happened to “big game hunting”, Johnson?

4 minutes ago, kthisguy said:

Not sure how some kind of gloss over the lack of NFL experience. College and the NFL are really two different animals. It’s great he turned two programs around. That has nothing to do with running a NFL locker room filled with multi-millionaires and large egos.

The Jets always seem to get first time head coaches. As a fan there is always a learning curve for them. Why in the world would you have to have a young FQB deal with that in addition to learning how to be a Pro!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Rhule and Sam have the same amount of NFL experience.... 1 year. Let that sink in.

Just now, Icer said:

This encapsulates Jets life. You have the best candidate state they want the job and you go with an unknown because of fiscal reasons or GM ineptitude.

Proof?

Nah

Only thing youve managed to encapsulate it the woe is me Jet fans

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

While I understand your point, history says that a college HC who jumps to the NFL as a HC with little NFL experience does not succeed..... ever.  Unless your name is Jimmy Johnson. The college and pro game are very different. Traits that make you a successful college HC are not the same traits that make you a successful NFL HC.

If you want to take a crack it, you can name for me the college HC's that jumped to the NFL with little NFL experience who enjoyed success as an NFL HC?

Jimmy Johnson. There.

Archived