Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

39 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

LankyLittleKookaburra-small.gif

Dunning-Kruger Effect: "The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence"

The Johnsons are Idiots. Literal idiots.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Its all speculation but with McCarthy coming outright saying its Jets or nothing for him and it still not being done definitely points towards Rhules favor right now

I agree. It feels like McCarthy put that out there to put pressure on the Jets into caving into his demands. He knows a large segment of the fans and media while be irate of they pass on McCarthy for a college coach, knowing the Super Bowl winner wanted the job.

I'll say this, there will be immense pressure on Rhule from Day 1 if they hire him after this.

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

While I understand your point, history says that a college HC who jumps to the NFL as a HC with little NFL experience does not succeed..... ever.  Unless your name is Jimmy Johnson. The college and pro game are very different. Traits that make you a successful college HC are not the same traits that make you a successful NFL HC.

If you want to take a crack it, you can name for me the college HC's that jumped to the NFL with little NFL experience who enjoyed success as an NFL HC?

In general I agree with you. I think the counter argument is that the NFL game is changing and is adopting more and more of the college game schematically.

In the past spread guys like Baker Mayfield and Pat Mahomes would bust in the NFL. Instead they're lighting up the league.

Now, recruiting and managing college kids is different than dealing with millionaires, but the feeling on Rhule seems to be that he has the type of personality and leadership traits that will translate. Literally nobody has any clue if that's true, of course...

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right?  I drove for 4 1/2 hours today. I listened to NFL radio the entire time.  I heard zero that pointed to this being real. Literally nothing. 

Duh, because you weren't listening to Twitter.

If people say something baseless enough on Twitter, then it's, by definition, "trending".

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This would be the worst choice the team could possibly make this point in the Franchise’s growth.

The fact that Rhule is seriously being considers tells me CJ and Mac still don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Or the same prediction that was made in regards to Bowles.

And the OL

And the lack of weapons

And Bates

And the Rbs.......................

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

If there’s truth to the Jets pairing Gase with Rhule as the OC, then that could be a homerun.

Bring in a vet, accomplished DC and we could be in business.

I think having Gase around Sam and focusing soley on the offense is an absolute slam dunk but will Gase go for an OC job? 

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm patiently awaiting the next Mike McCarthy statement. "Hello... Did you hear me? I'm STILL only pursuing and interested in the NYJ job!!! Can anyone hear me????"

Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

12 minutes ago, Vader said:

extremely disconcerting. you finally have a Super Bowl caliber HC say it’s Jets or no one, and we are still thinking about it. 

the entire league will laugh at us over this. 

and what happened to “big game hunting”, Johnson?

Self preservation for Mac daddy.  McCarthy = less control for Mac.

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Plenty of former NFL Head Coaches and Coordinators have failed.

I think many NFL teams make the mistake of going the safe route with old familiar names. 

Again, I am not going to be upset if go with McCarthy but I certainly don't mind the likes of Kingsbury or Rhule. I also don't mind Gase/Monken. 

I just laugh at everyone freaking out at the notion of bringing in one of the most highly regarded coaches in College football especially since he did coach, even if it's a low level capacity, in the NFL under Coughlin. 

The issue is that being "highly regarded" in college is meaningless on the pro level. Rhule's resume is flimsy by NFL standards so the risk for the Jets is monumental.

It's not about going the safe route vs. the risky route.  The risky route here doesn't fit any need for the Jets at the pro level. 

Perhaps the Jets can not be this stupid and unlucky for the past 50 years. Maybe, just maybe, they will make the incorrect decision and hire Rhule and he will be the next John Harbuagh. I can't think of any other HC's to liken him to. I keep hearing great leader, hard nosed, knows O and D, but is not some sort of "scheme" or playing calling genius. Sounds like John Harbaugh. I guess they'll have to hire him to find out. Even if it works out great, it doesn't change the fact that it is the wrong decision. And I still think the chances of Rhule having success are between slim and none.

This is a little more believable then that Wikipedia nonsense;

Matt Rhule’s name has been kept quiet for the majority of the Jets’ search for a new head coach, but he remains in the mix to land the job.

According to ESPN’s Dan Graziano, Rhule interviewed with New York on Sunday. The Baylor head coach had a desire to keep his interview on the down low for recruiting purposes, but it is no longer a secret that he sat down with Christopher Johnson and Mike Maccagnan.

In only two years at Baylor, Rhule has resurrected a program that was marred by scandal and looming NCAA violations. After a one-win 2017 season, Rhule led the Bears to a 7-6 record and a bowl game victory in 2018.

Rhule is a native New Yorker and spent a year as an offensive line coach for the New York Giants prior to becoming the head coach at Temple. He comes along with an impressive resume and is well-respected around football. Rhule was also in the mix for the Indianapolis Colts head coach opening last offseason.

The belief that Rhule’s coaching style would translate well to the NFL has him in the mix for the Jets job alongside names such as Mike McCarthy and Adam Gase. Although he has yet to hold a head coaching position in the professional ranks and has not coached in the NFL in seven years, Rhule is familiar with the league’s style of play. In all likelihood, it would not take him long to adjust to the new level of competition.

On Tuesday, the Jets concluded their first round of interviews, as Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken was the last candidate to have his name called. Now, New York is deciding whether to add more candidates into the mix or begin its second round of interviews.

Assuming Rhule is brought back for a second interview, he should be viewed as a serious contender to land the job. He may not have the experience that McCarthy and Gase have at the professional level, but he remains in the mix nonetheless.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/09/matt-rhule-still-in-the-mix-for-jets-head-coaching-job/

1 hour ago, CTM said:

It's the only thing that makes sense. You think a guy like CJ with a losing franchise wouldn't jump at the chance to hire a guy with McCarthy's pedigree unless someone who has his ear and a claim to be an NFL guy is dissuading him? 

I'm sure Maccagnan is trying to steer CJ in the direction of the newbies in order that he can maintain his standing in the pecking order and also buy a couple of years.  He is then leaking info to Manish so that he can advance that whole anybody but McCarthy agenda and maintain his insider access.  Just look at Manish's behavior over the past week, it's bizarre.  If McCarthy gets the job, Macc gets put in the corner and Manish will have to come up with his own stories sans leaks.

Just now, SR24 said:

I think having Gase around Sam and focusing soley on the offense is an absolute slam dunk but will Gase go for an OC job? 

What choice does he really have if he doesn’t get the Jets or Bengals HC job?

Try getting some interviews for a HC job in the college ranks?

Take a year off? It’s not like Gase is some established, super successful NFL HC who can afford to do something like that.

Guys like him and Monken will be pretty much forced to take an OC job somewhere for at least a year.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

It's the only thing that makes sense. You think a guy like CJ with a losing franchise wouldn't jump at the chance to hire a guy with McCarthy's pedigree unless someone who has his ear and a claim to be an NFL guy is dissuading him? 

Potentially. It's also possible CJ didn't like the McCarthy interview. That report out of Cleveland about them wanting to retain Kitchens is interesting.  It is entirely possible that CJ was turned off by some of the ideas MM had. 

I'm a McCarthy supporter, but we really don't know what went on. CJ seemed to be pretty confident about what he wanted in that press conference. Even seemed to limit Macc's power in the entire org. during that interview. 

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Perhaps the Jets can not be this stupid and unlucky for the past 50 years. Maybe, just maybe, they will make the incorrect decision and hire Rhule and he will be the next John Harbuagh. I can't think of any other HC's to liken him to. I keep hearing great leader, hard nosed, knows O and D, but is not some sort of "scheme" or playing calling genius. Sounds like John Harbaugh. I guess they'll have to hire him to find out. Even if it works out great, it doesn't change the fact that it is the wrong decision. And I still think the chances of Rhule having success are between slim and none.

IMO opinion Harbaugh wouldn’t be Harbaugh with out Ozzie Newsome.   I have zero idea what Matt Rhule will or can be, but his fate is going to be determined by how Maccagnan does his job.  Coming straight from college should give Rhule a better understanding of the talent coming out for the draft, hopefully Mac listens a little.  

I don't think we have hired an NFL experienced Head Coach since Bill Parcells.  (And I don't count Bowles interim HC for a week in Miami anything of substance .)  This means that Woody Johnson has ALWAYS saddled us with a 1st time NFL HC.  

Damn.  Talk about repeating the same behavior over and over and hopefully expecting a different result.  Yup.  Jets ownership is crazy.  And so are many Jets fans.  

Mac should have been fired.  If he and his little twerp henchman, Mehta, can change Chris Johnson's view of what is right for the team.. and continue the 20 years of always trying a 1st time NFL HC, then what can we do.  THe Johnsons are just pussies apparently.  I give up.  Rhule better do a damned good job.  Yikes this sucks.

8 minutes ago, Vader said:

extremely disconcerting. you finally have a Super Bowl caliber HC say it’s Jets or no one, and we are still thinking about it. 

the entire league will laugh at us over this. 

and what happened to “big game hunting”, Johnson?

And you can add that the team has a potential future Super Bowl QB with said coach.  I say that because Darnold can do things in totality, his game, that most NFL QBs CAN NOT.  

So why play games?  McCarthy already turned AZ down.  Means, outside the money, the ONLY reason he wants the Jet job is because of Darnold and if the Giants had taken Darnold at 2, with the Jets getting their first piece of luck in 50 years, all this would be moot.  

This is still such a rinky dink Mom & Pop operation...still, Darnold should just leave after his 1st contract.

NFL should have a Rule.  You're not allowed to own a team if you can't throw a ball, personally, more than 10 feet.

Jets are almost as bad as the Mets.  You see those shyster conmen who own the team parade their new GM out to the media saying that "everything" is changing?  No more "ifs" going into the season....Nothing is changing...Nothing haha.

Archived