Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

His college HC record is 36-40.

BTW, the Wikipedia page was updated to delete the Jets information

He inherited two disastrous teams that went 1-11 and 3-10. By season 3 at temple they were 10-3 and this year at Baylor they improved by 7 games an beat Texas in just 1 year. Every team he's coached at has seen a drastic turnaround in little time.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SMC said:

It would be comical that the Jets hire a failed college HC to run their team.

You are the prototypical McCarthy supporter. 

First off, you want the old school guy that makes you feel good. 

Second,  you know nothing about the world outside the big name candidates. Ruhle was a failed college HC?

He turned temple into a back to back 10 win program. He left after those two 10 win years. That's failed?
He took over a disaster in Baylor. The program was in shambles. There was talk of the program shutting down. He didn't care. Stepped in and after a predictable mess in 2017 (1 win season) he took the team to a bowl game in 2018 where he beat an SEC team (a mediocre one, but still a solid SEC team). 

If you consider that a failure,  you know nothing about college football. 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure it is

I wouldn’t be totally sold on someone like John Harbaugh either if he wasn’t bringing a competent OC and DC with him.

And when your hot coordinators bolts in a year or two we are left with our sub par HC. No, thanks. Smart fans want good HCs in their own right that aren’t dependent on their coordinators to be good.

Jets fans are going to riot if a no name coach that they don't know anything about over an overrated head coach who is a "name".

Then you wonder why I saw Jets fans are clueless about anything that pertains to football not involving the Jets

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

He inherited two disastrous teams that went 1-11 and 3-10. By season 3 at temple they were 10-3 and this year at Baylor they improved by 7 games an beat Texas in just 1 year. Every team he's coached at has seen a drastic turnaround in little time.

But did he win a SB 10 years ago with Aaron Rodgers?????

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Second,  you know nothing about the world outside the big name candidates. Ruhle was a failed college HC?

He turned temple into a back to back 10 win program. He left after those two 10 win years. That's failed?
He took over a disaster in Baylor. The program was in shambles. There was talk of the program shutting down. He didn't care. Stepped in and after a predictable mess in 2017 (1 win season) he took the team to a bowl team in 2018 where he beat an SEC team (a mediocre one, but still a solid SEC team). 

The other thing about Temple when he was there is that they had a very innovative attacking defense. If i remeber correctly It was considered one of the best units in the nation. I get that everyone wants an offense and to see Sam develop but forgetting about the D is a mistake.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He took over a disaster in Baylor. The program was in shambles. There was talk of the program shutting down. He didn't care. Stepped in and after a predictable mess in 2017 (1 win season) he took the team to a bowl game in 2018 where he beat an SEC team (a mediocre one, but still a solid SEC team). 

and christian hackenberg ran a pro style offense as a true freshman under bill obrien.....I DONT CARE.....what does he bring into an NFL locker room in terms of credibility? NOTHING.

Just now, TeddEY said:

IMO, it means that they're down to McCarthy and Rhule, and Rhule will cost 40% of McCarthy and doesn't threaten Macc's position.

Exactly this.  Meaning the owners haven't learned a damn thing. 

McCarthy went from the "safe" choice to risky the moment he wanted control.  Now Rhule is the "safer" choice, so that's the one the Jets will go with. 

10 minutes ago, SMC said:

Cimini has an interesting breakdown on Rhule as a candidate:

1. Not an offensive coach.

2. No history of developing QBs

3. Question if he could put a staff together.

4. Losing record at Baylor.

5. Only NFL experience is as Giants OLine assistant coach

So let's hire him to help Darnold!

Don't discount Cimini here.  He was spot on with Bowles.

I'm not even against hiring Rhule really.  Its just laughable to think that McCarthy wanted personnel control, and Johnson balked because Macc is "his guy". 
F*** that.
Boomer did mention that this morning as I posted this morning. Not about drafting, rather the 53/46...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All this noise is getting tiresome. Make a hire already and let's start assembling a coaching staff before everyone is scooped up by the rest of the league.

Nah. Jets have to turn everything into an embarrassing sh*tshow to maintain their status of an ESPN punchline. The best part will be reliving this hiring process in January 2021, when Rhule and Mac BOTH get sh*tcanned and nobody legit will take the job....lol. 

Maybe they can get Kingsbury THEN, when he gets axed from Arizona. 

This Rhule stuff has bungling Jets faux leak written all over it. Woody probably arguing over McCathy’s 401k match percentage and ham-fistedly trying to put pressure on him while also preparing the fan base for whiffing on McCarthy over shekels.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This sounds like him just summarizing the vibe on Twitter rather than quoting anyone with real knowledge of the situation.

Yes I did that too last night lol. Lots of Rhule Smoke, it's all over Central Texas ESPN twatter account, for instance.

Doesn't mean it's wrong but I don't think this is anything new.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He took over a disaster in Baylor. The program was in shambles. There was talk of the program shutting down. He didn't care. Stepped in and after a predictable mess in 2017 (1 win season) he took the team to a bowl team in 2018 where he beat an SEC team (a mediocre one, but still a solid SEC team). 

On average, college coaches have been unmitigated failures in the NFL and all of them were winning coaches on the amateur level.

Rhule would join KK as the only to make the jump after having losing records in college.

So, yes, Rhule was helping turn Baylor around, but so what? That in no way translates to knowing how to be a HC on the pro level.  He also has no experience in developing QBs.

As to being a prototypical McCarthy supporter, I know that a coach with a PROVEN history of developing QBs is the single best thing for Darnold, the Jets single most important asset.  Instead, the Jets would take a risk on an unproven college coach who has no clue how to develop a pro QB?

At least with KK, there was the belief that he had an innovative offensive mind.  Rhule doesn't have that.  He's known as a "salesman" and has "disciplined, tough" teams.  Jets don't need that from a college HC.  They can get that from any pro coach.  What they need is someone to develop Darnold. 

5 minutes ago, King P said:

Jets fans are going to riot if a no name coach that they don't know anything about over an overrated head coach who is a "name".

Then you wonder why I saw Jets fans are clueless about anything that pertains to football not involving the Jets

I just don't see that happening.

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I agree. If it were McCarthy, it would have been done by now. Still doesn't explain the delay in making a decision, though. What are they waiting for, Woody to finish his tea time with the Queen?

I'll venture a guess. In his original interview, Ruhle presented his vision of his CS. The Jets like everything about Ruhle, but want to tweak his selections, ie DC, OC probably. They want Ruhle's reaction to this, which was probably amenable, and they now need to contact said coordinators.

7 minutes ago, SMC said:

Cimini has an interesting breakdown on Rhule as a candidate:

1. Not an offensive coach.

2. No history of developing QBs

3. Question if he could put a staff together.

4. Losing record at Baylor.

5. Only NFL experience is as Giants OLine assistant coach

So let's hire him to help Darnold!

I think 2, 3, and 5 are valid question marks, but everyone was going to lose at Baylor regardless of who coached there given the circumstances. It’s technically true but pretty inconclusive as to saying how good of a coach he is on the field. 

He also has some coaching experience on both offense and defense, so that’s pretty rare for a resume. 

It’s a risk for sure. I’m not going to slam it because i don’t know enough about him to say whether he could handle the job. Just have to hope he’s the guy. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If true, this means Chris Johnson is NOT willing to take away power away from Maccagnan.  What a f***ing coward.

Enjoy your year off from coaching, McCarthy.  Wish our owner had balls.

It means that Mac has CJ's ear. I have to imagine a guy like CJ would pounce at a guy like McCarthy with a SB resume. This is Mac pushing for Rhule based on his foosball expertise and probably using that little chode Mehta to manage up.

This will be another Mac disaster. eff that incompetent coffee slurping swine

Archived