Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

If he had a brain and pair of testicles he already would have done so

I agree, but if they are going back and forth on this decision - CJ just needs to say, " I am in charge... its McCarthy,, you don't like it I will find a new GM"

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

I would guess that Chris Johnson wants McCarthy and Macc wants Rhule

And to that I say.....who gives a flying f*** what Mike Maccagnan wants?  He's lucky to still have this job.  He should be an area scout for the Texans right now.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I am far too passionate about this team to get a HC like Rhule when McCarthy has said he would take the job.

I think I am developing high blood pressure waiting on this new HC announcement.

I really hope this is Mac trying to negotiate down McCarthy’s number

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If there were a normal, competent GM at the helm, then sure... I could see McCarthy being fine without last say personnel control.  But with the bumbling Maccagnan blindly stumbling through the grocery store, who could blame McCarthy for wanting said personnel control.  Would you want Mike Maccagnan to ruin your chances for success over the next 4-5 years.   It's called self-protection.  I think most of the league (outside of the Woody/Chris sh!tshow) knows just how incompetent Mac is.  They all saw Hackenburg.  Everyone knows that the jets, under Mac, have drafted more players that are now out of the league than any other team.  That is NOT an easy accomplishment people.  

Should have fired this idiot with Bowles.  Ownership has made a tragic mistake. Again.

I dislike Macc as much as anyone and have wanted him fired for years. He sucks, but still not buying its over personnel control. I think CJ wants McCarthy and Macc wants Rhule simple as that. McCarthy is a football coach and never shown he wanted full control. Cardinals offered it and he declined them outright 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You are completely missing the point.  

Yes, I am because I have no idea what your point is.

Rhule may be a good college coach, but even great college coaches have failed in NFL. The problem is that Rhule has nothing on his resume that would support him being successful in the NFL.  Turning around Baylor is meaningless.

He's not an innovative coach.  He's never developed a QB.  And he has no tangible NFL coaching experience beyond being an assistant OLine coach for a short period of time with the Giants over 10 yrs ago.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And to that I say.....who gives a flying f*** what Mike Maccagnan wants?  He's lucky to still have this job.  He should be an area scout for the Texans right now.

They should have fired him. Everyone knows Maccagnan is awful but that was our stupid owners decision to keep him so he can live with the conflict now

6 minutes ago, JetsTalk247 said:

I'm not against the hire, it would mean CJ gave the power to Mac. I think this could be a Jets leak to get McCarthy to agree on a price, we may be willing to hang tight and see if anything develops for Harbaugh in the mean time. We know McCarthy is still going to be an option since we are the only team he would be interested in. That's the optimist in me though. 

Giving Maccagnan the power to make the hire was always going to guarantee we wouldn't hire a veteran HC.  When both report to the owner, which one is going to eventually have more pull in the organization?  The guy who has been a HC for 13 years and has a Lombardi, or a 4-year GM who hasn't been able to win more than 5 games the last 3 years?

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Butting heads? My employees can give advice, but I call the shots. If CJ goes with Macs choice instead of his own, he is a weak and worthless owner.

The problem here is that CJ has absolutely no football experience and is completely unqualified to run a football organization. So he's decided to lean on Mac when his options were Mac or Bowles.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Giving Maccagnan the power was always going to guarantee we wouldn't hire a veteran HC.  When both report to the owner, which one is going to have more pull?  The guy who has been a HC for 13 years and has a Lombardi, or a 4-year GM who hasn't been able to win more than 5 games the last 3 years?

Well he’s an idiot because he’s also putting his job in the hands of a college coach

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he should be a scout for the Patriots right now, because I hate the Patriots.

6 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I would guess that Chris Johnson wants McCarthy and Macc wants Rhule

I think it’s ultimately coming down to money and personnel control.  McCarthy would be a monumental shift for a franchise that’s used to not having anyone in charge (which is intentional it seems) 

Whats hurting the Jets PR more than anything is McCarthy basically said he wanted the job. How they spin hiring a college coach will sure be interesting (if it actually happens).

I’m guessing the Johnson’s aren’t comfortable with paying Maccarthy and giving up day to day control to a guy who could actually handle it.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well he’s an idiot because he’s also putting his job in the hands of a college coach

2 years from now it's plausible Rhule is getting scapegoated and that coffee guzzling heathen is still sitting pretty.

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I dislike Macc as much as anyone and have wanted him fired for years. He sucks, but still not buying its over personnel control. I think CJ wants McCarthy and Macc wants Rhule simple as that. McCarthy is a football coach and never shown he wanted full control. Cardinals offered it and he declined them outright 

The question is why, though?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Giving Maccagnan the power to make the hire was always going to guarantee we wouldn't hire a veteran HC.  When both report to the owner, which one is going to eventually have more pull in the organization?  The guy who has been a HC for 13 years and has a Lombardi, or a 4-year GM who hasn't been able to win more than 5 games the last 3 years?

The great irony that a lot of time in sports and perhaps life people's nature tend to screw up the best thing they've done.

Macc's single, greatest achievement is orchestrating the moves that led to drafting Darnold. He'll never surpass that.  But he will go ahead and **** that up in night hiring the veteran HC because he's insecure in his own power.

38 minutes ago, SMC said:

On average, college coaches have been unmitigated failures in the NFL and all of them were winning coaches on the amateur level.

Rhule would join KK as the only to make the jump after having losing records in college.

So, yes, Rhule was helping turn Baylor around, but so what? That in no way translates to knowing how to be a HC on the pro level.  He also has no experience in developing QBs.

As to being a prototypical McCarthy supporter, I know that a coach with a PROVEN history of developing QBs is the single best thing for Darnold, the Jets single most important asset.  Instead, the Jets would take a risk on an unproven college coach who has no clue how to develop a pro QB?

At least with KK, there was the belief that he had an innovative offensive mind.  Rhule doesn't have that.  He's known as a "salesman" and has "disciplined, tough" teams.  Jets don't need that from a college HC.  They can get that from any pro coach.  What they need is someone to develop Darnold. 

1- I don't mind McCarthy I am just not blinded to other  options because I am scared of the unknown like some others here

2- Rhule completely turned Temple around and was in the process of turning Baylor around. 
3- Rhule did coach for 1 year in the NFL under Coughlin so it's not like he has never been affiliated with an NFL team

4- KK is definitely a more dynamic offensive mind, but Rhule is BY FAR the more accomplished Head Coach to people that know anything about College Football. But this is Jets board and I don't expect many of you to know much about college football. It's different. It's scary. It's the unknown. 

I will say, I'm not in love with the idea of Rhule, but I'll admit he at least isn't my least favorite option of the bunch, so he's got that going for him.  I'd certainly take him over Gase, who I've come to despise as the hire with every fiber of my being.  Rhule would very likely be a failure, but at least there is that very small chance of complete fluke luck with him.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mac used a second round pick on Hackenberg hiring a guy who had one ok season at Baylor isn’t that far fetched 

With the exception of Arizona, there are no other teams besides the Jets or Cleveland that showed interest in McCarthy.  Did his people really put it out there that he was interested in only Cleveland or the Jets?  Why would they do that?  I don't think many teams had high interest in him which is telling.

If the Jets don't pick him then kudos for them not caving in to pressure by MM and some of the media.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I will say, I'm not in love with the idea of Rhule, but I'll admit he at least isn't my least favorite option of the bunch, so he's got that going for him.  I'd certainly take him over Gase, who I've come to despise as the hire with every fiber of my being.  Rhule would very likely be a failure, but at least there is that very small chance of complete fluke luck with him.

If Rhule is legitimately the Jets' top choice over McCarthy, I could easily live with that!  In fact, I'd celebrate it!

But that doesn't seem to be what's going on.  Rhule might just be our # 2 choice here, and is only getting the job because of our terrible owner and GM's collective incompetence. 

That would be unforgivable. 

Archived