Allbright: Jets job trending towards Matt Rhule

Patriot Killa

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's the only thing that makes sense. You think a guy like CJ with a losing franchise wouldn't jump at the chance to hire a guy with McCarthy's pedigree unless someone who has his ear and a claim to be an NFL guy is dissuading him? 

Seriously, how did we get here? Was it something like this?

CJ: Well those interviews were fun, get McCarthy's agent on the phone and offer him the job.

Mac: Are you sure? Adam Gase was verrrrryyyy impressive.

CJ: C'mon Mac, stop kidding around. No way we hire a Fins cast off. Call McCarthy. Just get it done.

Mac: What about that Monken guy? Heck he made Fitz look good in between those 5 interception halfs

CJ: He's never been an NFL HC. I told everyone we wanted someone with experience. 

Mac: I really liked that Rhule guy. Ya know he turned Temple and Baylor into big time winning programs and he had a season with Coughlin with the O line so he has NFL experience.

CJ: Seriously, call McCarthy's agent and stop kidding around.

Mac: ..... but.....but.... but...... did you see what Manish tweeted about McCarthy. No one wants him. We'll look foolish if we hire him.

CJ: He did? Really? No one?

Mac: Yup. You wouldn't want to look dumb. The smart move would be Rhule. You'll look like a genuis.

CJ: OK. Round up the guys, we're going to have to decide between Rhule, Monken and Gase. It's the smart thing to do. While your at it, I saw Jim Caldwell wondering around the break room. Show him where the exit is. I think he's been here since his interview.

Mac: Sure thing Boss. (under his breath) There is only room for one "Mac" at 1 Jet Drive.

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, he wrote a whole huge article about how ADAM GASE would be the guy to lead the Jets into the future....3 days after writing "KISS SEXBURY is the guy to lead the Jets into the future....

FML. Matt Rhule? LOL. 

Anyone Mehta likes we should be sprinting from that guy is a tool

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lots of people claiming Rhule to Jets. When there’s smoke, there’s fire?

Same thing with McCarthy yesterday, Gase for a couple of days before, and McCarthy again earlier in the process.

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is why it was more important to fire Mac than Bowles folks. The GM spot is capable of doing much longer term damage

I think you're forgetting that Macc is actually good, and it was all Todd Bowles' fault.

4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Is this true? Every report out there since his firing is that McCarthy never wanted personnel control at all in his tenure at Green Bay or going forward and just wanted to coach, so seems like a conflicting report  

I don't have a better explanation for why Mike McCarthy is not the Jets HC right now. 

The Browns hired their guy.  Once that happened, it was reported by numerous sources that he wanted us and ONLY us, and that if we didn't extend the offer, he'd sit out the year instead.

Reports have indicated that feeling was mutual on the Jets end.

So what changed?  Did Rhule impress that much that McCarthy became the # 2 choice?  If that's the case, why hasn't Rhule been hired either?  Shouldn't the decision have become easy at this point, one way or the other?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure what thread the tweet was in, there's been so many different threads.  But the tweet stated that McCarthy only wants the Jets job if he's given assurance he has some "control", presumably over personnel decisions.

Meanwhile, Johnson said this recently:

Connecting the dots, the fact that McCarthy has not yet been signed on as the HC, and now the news about Rhule being the likelier choice, suggest the Jets balked based on the Maccagnan factor.

Which is an utter travesty and disaster.

Ok thanks, I hadn't heard, so was just curious.  I think you know full well I would be happy to hand Macc's power over to literally anyone else, including any of us clowns here.  If Macc's completely useless, totally incompetent, bafflingly employed ass has even the slightest damn thing to do with who they opt to hire, everyone involved in the decision should be repeatedly punched in the face non-stop until the Jets' get their next ring, regardless of whether they (or any of us) are still even alive at that point.

fans defending some of these clowns are part of the  problem-same folks want to hire a nobody from garbage college programs are the same ones that loved the Hack pick

guy goes 1-11 and we are supposed to be excited-he won at a crappy college program in temple -great..... call me crazy but I will go with the proven guy that is one of the select few to win a superbowl.....

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't have a better explanation for why Mike McCarthy is not the Jets HC right now. 

The Browns hired their guy.  Once that happened, it was reported by numerous sources that he wanted us and ONLY us. 

So what changed?  Did Rhule impress that much that McCarthy became the # 2 choice?  If that's the case, why hasn't Rhule been hired either?  Shouldn't the decision have become easy at this point?

Maybe Mcc dug that like our team Baylor has a predominantly green uniform.

There is nothing signed yet. I can only hope that this is just Twitter rumors. I mean hiring a head coach with so little NFL experience will only end in disaster. I will give him two years and we will be looking for new GM and coach.

The talk of interviewing other would be head coaches to take over as OC is a bad move. Forcing people to work under another rarely works. (Look at the Browns this year). Hire an NFL guy! They will have connections and at least a working relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's like the Jets are doing everything in their power to gimp Darnold and the new HC.

Seriously, what is our owner's obsession with Mike f***ing Maccagnan? 

Coming from a tech background and working in e-commerce I have seen many a CEO from a finance or marketing background person put their chips behind a clueless or weak CTO who ultimately brought them down.  I think when you don't understand an area and develop a good relationship and trust with a person that understands it much better than you (but less than their peers) it's sometimes hard to dislodge that trust.

Mac has his ear, convinced him Bowles was at fault for current mess and he just doesn't know any better.

6 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Is this true? Every report out there since his firing is that McCarthy never wanted personnel control at all in his tenure at Green Bay or going forward and just wanted to coach, so seems like a conflicting report 

If there were a normal, competent GM at the helm, then sure... I could see McCarthy being fine without last say personnel control.  But with the bumbling Maccagnan blindly stumbling through the grocery store, who could blame McCarthy for wanting said personnel control.  Would you want Mike Maccagnan to ruin your chances for success over the next 4-5 years.   It's called self-protection.  I think most of the league (outside of the Woody/Chris sh!tshow) knows just how incompetent Mac is.  They all saw Hackenburg.  Everyone knows that the jets, under Mac, have drafted more players that are now out of the league than any other team.  That is NOT an easy accomplishment people.  

Should have fired this idiot with Bowles.  Ownership has made a tragic mistake. Again.

The Browns hired their guy.  Once that happened, it was reported by numerous sources that he wanted us and ONLY us, and that if we didn't extend the offer, he'd sit out the year instead.

So what changed?  Did Rhule impress that much that McCarthy became the # 2 choice?  If that's the case, why hasn't Rhule been hired either?  Shouldn't the decision have become easy at this point, one way or the other?

CJ and Mac butting heads.  I bet CJ wishes he fired Maccagnan now.  

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Ok thanks, I hadn't heard, so was just curious.  I think you know full well I would be happy to hand Macc's power over to literally anyone else, including any of us clowns here.  If Macc's completely useless, totally incompetent, bafflingly employed ass has even the slightest damn thing to do with who they opt to hire, everyone involved in the decision should be repeatedly punched in the face non-stop until the Jets' get their next ring, regardless of whether they (or any of us) are still even alive at that point.

The mere fact that he has played even a small role in the hiring process and that CJ thinks he's a "great talent evaluator" (and he's not lying, otherwise why is Macc still here?) was enough of a sign that we'd screw this up.  So the bold should have happened already anyways. 

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This cannot be stressed enough.  If the latest info that's been coming out is indeed true, it means our owner is putting the feelings he has for Mike Maccagnan as GM above what's best for the Jets organization. 

Holy f*** I hate this team.

I'm not against the hire, it would mean CJ gave the power to Mac. I think this could be a Jets leak to get McCarthy to agree on a price, we may be willing to hang tight and see if anything develops for Harbaugh in the mean time. We know McCarthy is still going to be an option since we are the only team he would be interested in. That's the optimist in me though.

There was no report that Rhule was number 1 on the Jets list. It's just what you wanted to believe. 

As of now, we still don't know who Macc/Johnson have listed as their #1. 

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Albert-Einstein-Insanity.jpg.8ef96954d3c852a71fae235606ecaf3b.jpg

Why not hire the guy with the experience that gives the best chance to develop Sam? Because they’re stupid. If only Einstein owned this team.

I’ll give Rhule all the chances I’ve given Bowles, Rex, etc. to develop, But we all know he’ll be another mistake hire.

Please I hope this is just negotiations with McCarthy

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He doesn’t have to tell them. He has to show them. Just like any coach. Talk only goes so far. 

How does Rhule "show them" in training camp?  Why should any of the players listen to a word that Rhule says? 

Rhule is going to institute an OT program.  How would he know how to do that?  Rely on his lone stint as a Giants ASSISTANT OLine coaching days (not even the actual Oline coach)?

Rhule is going to run a training camp.  How are players going to believe that Rhule can make them better or win from what he tells them to do in training camp?

In essence, Rhule has zero "street cred" walking into that Jets locker room and you're willing to trust Darnold with him?  That's insane.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There was no report that Rhule was number 1 on the Jets list. It's just what you wanted to believe. 

As of now, we still don't know who Macc/Johnson have listed as their #1. 

It doesn't matter which one they have as their # 1.  Whether its Rhule or McCarthy, one should have been hired by now.  Neither had any competition for their services from any other NFL team. 

This isn't impatience talking.  I don't care how long it takes to hire the right guy.  But both are just sitting there and only want the Jets.  What gives?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't even thing it's directly about personal control. It's about Mac being dislodged from CJ's buttocks by someone whose credibility will be hard for him to impugn. I said it somewhere else but if the Jets fail with McCarthy Mac will get the blame, whereas if they succeed McCarthy gets the credit. And vice versa if they hire Rhule. Rhule keeps Mac in power, McCarthy removes him from power.

Just now, SMC said:

How does Rhule "show them" in training camp?  Why should any of the players listen to a word that Rhule says? 

Rhule is going to institute an OT program.  How would he know how to do that?  Rely on his lone stint as a Giants ASSISTANT OLine coaching days (not even the actual Oline coach)?

Rhule is going to run a training camp.  How are players going to believe that Rhule can make them better or win from what he tells them to do in training camp?

In essence, Rhule has zero "street cred" walking into that Jets locker room and you're willing to trust Darnold with him?  That's insane.

Another question where is Rhule going to get his staff from?  The Temple tree?

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously, how did we get here? Was it something like this?

CJ: Well those interviews were fun, get McCarthy's agent on the phone and offer him the job.

Mac: Are you sure? Adam Gase was verrrrryyyy impressive.

CJ: C'mon Mac, stop kidding around. No way we hire a Fins cast off. Call McCarthy. Just get it done.

Mac: What about that Monken guy? Heck he made Fitz look good in between those 5 interception halfs

CJ: He's never been an NFL HC. I told everyone we wanted someone with experience. 

Mac: I really liked that Rhule guy. Ya know he turned Temple and Baylor into big time winning programs and he had a season with Coughlin with the O line so he has NFL experience.

CJ: Seriously, call McCarthy's agent and stop kidding around.

Mac: ..... but.....but.... but...... did you see what Manish tweeted about McCarthy. No one wants him. We'll look foolish if we hire him.

CJ: He did? Really? No one?

Mac: Yup. You wouldn't want to look dumb. The smart move would be Rhule. You'll look like a genuis.

CJ: OK. Round up the guys, we're going to have to decide between Rhule, Monken and Gase. It's the smart thing to do. While your at it, I saw Jim Caldwell wondering around the break room. Show him where the exit is. I think he's been here since his interview.

Mac: Sure thing Boss. (under his breath) There is only room for one "Mac" at 1 Jet Drive.

I am far too passionate about this team to get a HC like Rhule when McCarthy has said he would take the job.

I think I am developing high blood pressure waiting on this new HC announcement.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would guess that Chris Johnson wants McCarthy and Macc wants Rhule

4 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Albert-Einstein-Insanity.jpg.8ef96954d3c852a71fae235606ecaf3b.jpg

Why not hire the guy with the experience that gives the best chance to develop Sam? Because they’re stupid. If only Einstein owned this team.

I’ll give Rhule all the chances I’ve given Bowles, Rex, etc. to develop, But we all know he’ll be another mistake hire.

Quote for emphasis.

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is why it was more important to fire Mac than Bowles folks. The GM spot is capable of doing much longer term damage

Soooo much this.  I was 100% adamant that Mac needed to be the higher priority to fire, be fired first, and if they were stupid enough to give Macc another year, might as well give Bowles another while they were at it to avoid the mess that is sure to come from all of this.  His role, and his unmatched incompetence at it, is so much more crippling than anything else.

Just now, CTM said:

I don't even thing it's directly about personal control. It's about Mac being dislodged from CJ's buttocks by someone whose credibility will be hard for him to impugn. I said it somewhere else but if the Jets fail with McCarthy Mac will get the blame, whereas if they succeed McCarthy gets the credit. And vice versa if they hire Rhule. Rhule keeps Mac in power, McCarthy removes him from power.

Ultimately I think you hit it on the head

Macagnan is scared of a coach with credibility and a reputation coming in.  Bowles was a quiet empty suit who never criticized Mac’s horrible moves.  

Archived