Defensive Coordinator Down To 3

SR24

What?
He was 53-43 as a head coach.
Three playoff appearances. AFC Title Game appearance. One losing season in six years.
He's Vince Lombardi compared to Bowles.

1) One of the playoff appearances was Arians. Though he returned just in time to lead them to a playoff loss.

2) The AFC South was awful the next two years. In 2013, the Jaguars went 4-12 and the Texans 2-14. The next year, the Jags fell to 3-13 while the Titans went 2-14. Having Andrew Luck was literally all that was necessary to get in the playoffs. Once there, Luck and luck was needed to advance.

3) In said AFC title game, they got absolutely obliterated by Belichick and the Patriots 45-17 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated.

4) Once the division strengthened, he went .500 twice and then bottomed out to 4-12 without Luck.

5) A defensive minded head coach, the Colts ranked 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th in total defense in his five years. And if you insist on crediting him with the Arians year so you can squeeze an extra playoff appearance, the defense ranked 26th. Without him, the defense immediately shot up to 11th this year.

6) Remember that SNF game against the Patriots where he called the worst play of all time?

I absolutely believe Bowles could have stepped in his shoes and done the exact same thing.

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

on the subject of Vance Joseph (this has NOTHING to do with his coaching skills):

In my 50+ years of watching NFL football, the absolute single worst game day performance by a DB, bar none,  was what Joseph let the Raiders (mainly Tim Brown) burn him for the entire 4 quarters.  Long reception after long reception.  TD after TD.  All  Vance Joseph's way.  It was a Sunday night game.  It traumatized me.   

That's all on Kotite. Joseph was a backup QB in college. Who knows what the hell he was thinking?

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

on the subject of Vance Joseph (this has NOTHING to do with his coaching skills):

In my 50+ years of watching NFL football, the absolute single worst game day performance by a DB, bar none,  was what Joseph let the Raiders (mainly Tim Brown) burn him for the entire 4 quarters.  Long reception after long reception.  TD after TD.  All  Vance Joseph's way.  It was a Sunday night game.  It traumatized me.   

It probably traumatized Vance Joseph too.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not in love with Joseph, but his players loved him, and players were all about Williams and Pagano, too. This is big balls stuff by Gase to even consider hiring three former head coaches who could replace him at any time, as opposed to Tood, who hired undesirable skells who posed no threat to him.

Exactly.  Bowles was timid in just about all aspect of coaching, including his assistant coach choices. No alphas amongst his group.

Gase seems to be looking at top-drawer assistants to make his coaching staff better, no matter what the personal risk. That shows self-confidence and guts.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

That's all on Kotite. Joseph was a backup QB in college. Who knows what the hell he was thinking?

Yup.  Joseph had been playing CB for about 10 minutes, and Kotite decided to play him in single coverage on future Hall of Famer Tim Brown on Sunday night primetime.

Ahhh, memories.

16 minutes ago, The Troll said:

1) One of the playoff appearances was Arians. Though he returned just in time to lead them to a playoff loss.

2) The AFC South was awful the next two years. In 2013, the Jaguars went 4-12 and the Texans 2-14. The next year, the Jags fell to 3-13 while the Titans went 2-14. Having Andrew Luck was literally all that was necessary to get in the playoffs. Once there, Luck and luck was needed to advance.

3) In said AFC title game, they got absolutely obliterated by Belichick and the Patriots 45-17 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated.

4) Once the division strengthened, he went .500 twice and then bottomed out to 4-12 without Luck.

5) A defensive minded head coach, the Colts ranked 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th in total defense in his five years. And if you insist on crediting him with the Arians year so you can squeeze an extra playoff appearance, the defense ranked 26th. Without him, the defense immediately shot up to 11th this year.

6) Remember that SNF game against the Patriots where he called the worst play of all time?

I absolutely believe Bowles could have stepped in his shoes and done the exact same thing.

To each their own. You can make excuses for Bowles or tear down Pagano's accomplishments but the results speak for themselves, IMO. Pagano had a decent run. Bowles was an abject failure buy any measure.

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Exactly.  Bowles was timid in just about all aspect of coaching, including his assistant coach choices. No alphas amongst his group.

Gase seems to be looking at top-drawer assistants to make his coaching staff better, no matter what the personal risk. That shows self-confidence and guts.

Or he was told that he could not bring his lousy staff with him from Miami.  

As someone who watches the Colts closely...just say no to Pagano.

As for Vance Joseph....apparently he's in AZ right now interviewing with KK for their DC job.....I guess we first have to officially announce Gase, but let's lock up Williams.

24 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It’s alpha behavior which is why it resonates with me. 

cc: @Pac

31 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

he is loaded with self confidence

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

He has been continiously employeed in the NFL since 1990........

Wasn’t he suspended for a bit over that mess with the Saints? Definitely left a mark on his reputation. He’s obviously overcome it and adapted to being a less maniacal DC. 

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

I know he’s been a great DC in the past, but...Pagano was Bowles level awful as a head coach. I have a hard time getting excited about a guy like that.

He sucked as a HC but as a DC in Baltimore he fielded better defenses than both Rex and Mike Nolan.

Archived