Gase’s Offense; Tannehill Held Him Back; NY Jets Film Review

JetNation

It's easier to illustrate the problem Gase was faced with merely by the following:

1) Tannehill played in only HALF of the games Gase coached during his Dolphins tenure. So he's not exactly the picture of reliability.

2) When Tannehill was healthy, his play was sporadic at best. Sometimes pretty good, but mostly below average.

I submit you simply can't win with a QB that limited. This is to say nothing about below average talent on the rest of the team. Gase did his best with a bad situation.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Nice piece.  It was always funny when people would argue with me and tell me how good tannehill was.  He was always a better stat guy than actual QB (a poor man's Eli).  People just like to look at out of context numbers, I argued for days and weeks how he kept us in that game and how Gase didn't trust him late in the game but his numbers looked good.

I was always impressed with Gase from afar, I didn't watch Miami as close as I did the Jets so I didn't see all his warts but he looked good to me.  I knew the hiring wouldn't be popular but I liked it from the start.  Gase and Sam are going to form an excellent pair, he finally has a QB to work with.  He got the most out of the mediocre guys in Miami, now if he gets the most out if Sam watch out.

lol, npd

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase loved Tannehill though.  Never wanted to look for or draft another qb.

So is it concerning that if this article is true, why didnt gase realize this?

Do we know that or was he just defending him through the media showing he had his QBs back?

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maybe he already knew he wasn't being supported by Ross in Miami & had an eye on leaving anyway? He gets fired, Bowles gets fired, he goes instantly to a young franchise QB without having to find one. Gase wanted this gig bad. Outside of Cleveland with Mayfield the Jets were the best opportunity for an offensive HC. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Nice piece.  It was always funny when people would argue with me and tell me how good tannehill was.  He was always a better stat guy than actual QB (a poor man's Eli).  People just like to look at out of context numbers, I argued for days and weeks how he kept us in that game and how Gase didn't trust him late in the game but his numbers looked good.

I was always impressed with Gase from afar, I didn't watch Miami as close as I did the Jets so I didn't see all his warts but he looked good to me.  I knew the hiring wouldn't be popular but I liked it from the start.  Gase and Sam are going to form an excellent pair, he finally has a QB to work with.  He got the most out of the mediocre guys in Miami, now if he gets the most out if Sam watch out.

Only reason Tannehill had “good stats” was he was a check down artist

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That's not true.  Publically he praised him, as he should.  But there was talk that he was trying to trade up to draft A QB.  

Have to come with another concern.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In 3 years he never tried to address the position.  Either through free agency or the draft.  He believed tannehill was the guy.

It was almost like Tannehill or nothing for the Fins. Tanny paid him too much money and Gase was saddled with Tannehill.  I think what frustrated Gase was that he knew there was some talent in RT but he was so  inconsistent, had problems with the deep ball, and had a hard time reading the  defense.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Not true, he wanted to trade up for Mayfield if he were available around 5/6. Loved Darnold but knew he wouldn’t fall past 3, and assumed he was going to Cleveland at 1.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In 3 years he never tried to address the position.  Either through free agency or the draft.  He believed tannehill was the guy.

He did basically make the playoffs with him when he was healthy year 1 then he missed all of year 2 and they were in the playoff race into late year 3.  

• Upvote 2

Looks like an astute evaluation. We will see how it goes in TC.

Keep in mind that Sam will be learning a new offense, with new terminology. In the early part of next season I think Sam and the offense will struggle a bit as they get it down. That's why I am puzzled about all this talk of playoffs in 2019. The realistic goal is getting over .500 and staying there. They gotta walk before they can run. I think they start slow, win some they shouldn't, lose a heart breaker, finish strong and wind up 8-8. A stepping stone season on the way to greatness.

Or they totally suck, Gase and Macc are fired and we are starting all over again! Hopefully its the above.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Got to love excuses.

first of all great read.

but unfortunately this team has gotten me to the point where i am not interested in why. Gase put his name on those 3 seasons, Tennehill or not....and he needs to do much better for the next 3. For the record i think Tennehill stinks...and i hold it against Gase that he stuck with him.

btw if the jets do nothing in the off-season to address the lack of play-makers and offensive linemen i put that on Gase as well....you dont take the job and put your name on it without knowing some of the variables upfront.

• Upvote 2

Tannehill his a weird deal.  I think he started out as WR at A&M and didn't take over as starter until halfway through his junior year.  His college coach at A&M was Mike Sherman and it was a checkdown offense.  Sherman got canned and became OC in Miami for Philbin's first two years, before he got dumped and went on to a losing record coaching high school. Tannehill was Sherman's boy, and Gase was probably hired hoping to straighten him out. 

• Upvote 3

Gase had to deal with RT's limited style of play, especially since he was a converted WR who only played QB for about a year. Since Tannehill's arrival in miami coaches were limited to his style of play especially with Sherman. Gase had to adapt to RT style of play and many times as seen in other posts RT would not execute properly.  I am not making excuses for Gase but what I do like is that he said he's going to taylor his offense to Sam's strengths and style of play. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for putting this together.  Very interesting stuff.  But....

Gase was not a good coach in Miami and his offenses were putrid - at the bottom of the league and got consistently worse each of this three years.

Maybe he can turn it around - I certainly hope he does.

But let's not try and sugar coat it.

• Upvote 3

Tannehill is a mutt and whether Gase wanted to move on from him or not is not the issue.  The issue was bringing out the best in the players you have to work with.  Did Gase do that with Tannehill? I don't know the answer but IMO Tannelhill is / was a stiff and you can't bleed water from a stone.  Definitely looking forward what he can do with Darnold.   

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Let me guess, the teddy bear man was one of the posters trying to argue with me? You'll never learn.

No. Tannehill sucks.

I fall into the camp of watching you use dishonest debate tactics to make yourself feel like you won on the Internet. Then laughing at you.

My reply had nothing to do with your lame arguments.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

No. Tannehill sucks.

I fall into the camp of watching you use dishonest debate tactics to make yourself feel like you won on the Internet. Then laughing at you.

My reply had nothing to do with your lame arguments.

Thanks for your input, as you know I truly value your opinion ?

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Tannehill is weird, because he has the talent.  If you are going on pure athletic ability, I think he's on par with Deshaun Watson.  He can do everything Watson does, but the problem is that he doesn't make the correct reads, and almost decides beforehand where the pass must go.  There were plenty of times where he had the options, and he just didn't see it or hesitated to the point the play didn't develop.  

This now becomes an egg or the chicken question.  Does Tannehill's lack of progression fall on Gase? Does Gase's lack of success fall on Tannehill?  I'm not bothered with 2017, because fat Cutler off the bench isn't going to win anywhere.  To me, without Tannehill progressing to read defenses at a good level, they couldn't overcome it.  There are guys that aren't good with reading defenses (Tribusky is one) that still do well because they match their personnel well.  In Chicago's case, they had Cohen, Robinson, Miller, and the ability to play with a lead.  The Fins got post Pats Amendola, Stills, Wilson (who promptly got hurt) Drake/Gore, and Parker.  It didn't quite match up.   

It'll be interesting to see how they develop, because Sam has some qualities that Tannehill lacked.  It's paramount they set him up with better weapons though.  

17 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

It's easier to illustrate the problem Gase was faced with merely by the following:

1) Tannehill played in only HALF of the games Gase coached during his Dolphins tenure. So he's not exactly the picture of reliability.

2) When Tannehill was healthy, his play was sporadic at best. Sometimes pretty good, but mostly below average.

I submit you simply can't win with a QB that limited. This is to say nothing about below average talent on the rest of the team. Gase did his best with a bad situation.

It also stems from the offensive philosophy being limited by injuries.  

Tannehill has his strengths/weaknesses.  The backup (Moore) has his as well.  However, the problem is that you can't really mesh one strength with another.  For example, Moore has no real arm strength, but he's better at reading defenses.  So your gameplan has to go with more intermediate routes, where Tannehill can deal with more routes that run deep.  So the injury and change to game plans hurt because you can't go for the strengths of each guy separately, since there isn't time.  

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Really, really great content @Maxman and crew. 

Thanks

21 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just Great Work!!!

The Post gives me hope!

Thanks.  

It should, although maybe in a bit, I have some concerns about the receivers.  Parker not developing really bothers me, because I was very high on him, and he's shown flashes.  Some of the route combinations puzzled me, because they seemed like 3/4 individual routes, than a combination of routes.  For example, there would be a go route to the outside, and out route on the same side.  On the other side, it'd be a curl and out route combination, when the middle of the field would be wide open in such a situation.  

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I don't think he had a choice in the matter.  The dead money hit if you dropped him would be massive once he was already extended.  

Heck, they can't really even cut him now without getting a $13 million hit in dead money, and they barely have cap space.  

16 hours ago, Jetster said:

Maybe he already knew he wasn't being supported by Ross in Miami & had an eye on leaving anyway? He gets fired, Bowles gets fired, he goes instantly to a young franchise QB without having to find one. Gase wanted this gig bad. Outside of Cleveland with Mayfield the Jets were the best opportunity for an offensive HC. 

The problem really is that team is heading for a rebuild and I don't think he wanted to stick around.  

That team might need a good RB, maybe 2 good receivers (assuming Parker and maybe Amendola are cut), and offensive line, resign/replace Wake, decide on Quinn, and possibly find a RT and they start out with $13 million in cap space.  

That's getting awfully close to tear down, especially if Tannehill is not the guy, and they need to find a QB.  I just don't think he wanted to stay for a rebuild because this was going to be another losing season, at which point he would have been fired anyway.  It probably (and this is my guess) went down as if he asked for an extension to outlast the rebuild, and got rejected.  

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He couldn't, not with that contract.  

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That's not true.  Publically he praised him, as he should.  But there was talk that he was trying to trade up to draft A QB.  

Have to come with another concern.

I heard some rumblings they were hard after Rosen last year, but didn't trade up.  I think it's hard because that contract can't be swallowed when they are up against the cap like that.  

16 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It was almost like Tannehill or nothing for the Fins. Tanny paid him too much money and Gase was saddled with Tannehill.  I think what frustrated Gase was that he knew there was some talent in RT but he was so  inconsistent, had problems with the deep ball, and had a hard time reading the  defense.

Tannehill had all the physical tools, he just couldn't put it together on the mental aspect.  The injury history doesn't help for sure, but mostly it's the late conversion.  Someone like Darnold/Mayfield can sense guys being open, while Tannehill waits that extra second.  

15 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not true, he wanted to trade up for Mayfield if he were available around 5/6. Loved Darnold but knew he wouldn’t fall past 3, and assumed he was going to Cleveland at 1.

I never heard about Mayfield, I heard about Rosen though, albeit they never did anything to trade up.  

15 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Love posts like this that give us something to look forward to in the off season. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks.  

15 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He did basically make the playoffs with him when he was healthy year 1 then he missed all of year 2 and they were in the playoff race into late year 3.  

And their best receiver, Wilson, missed the second half of the season as well.  

15 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Looks like an astute evaluation. We will see how it goes in TC.

Keep in mind that Sam will be learning a new offense, with new terminology. In the early part of next season I think Sam and the offense will struggle a bit as they get it down. That's why I am puzzled about all this talk of playoffs in 2019. The realistic goal is getting over .500 and staying there. They gotta walk before they can run. I think they start slow, win some they shouldn't, lose a heart breaker, finish strong and wind up 8-8. A stepping stone season on the way to greatness.

Or they totally suck, Gase and Macc are fired and we are starting all over again! Hopefully its the above.

While I think playoffs is way too premature now, next season really depends on the talent around Darnold.  If they can get another weapon at receiver and a good running back, while drafting OL, I think the offense can really take off. 

15 hours ago, k-met57 said:

first of all great read.

but unfortunately this team has gotten me to the point where i am not interested in why. Gase put his name on those 3 seasons, Tennehill or not....and he needs to do much better for the next 3. For the record i think Tennehill stinks...and i hold it against Gase that he stuck with him.

btw if the jets do nothing in the off-season to address the lack of play-makers and offensive linemen i put that on Gase as well....you dont take the job and put your name on it without knowing some of the variables upfront.

The team definitely needs to upgrade some positions, especially WR1, RB, and pretty much everywhere on the OL.  

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tannehill his a weird deal.  I think he started out as WR at A&M and didn't take over as starter until halfway through his junior year.  His college coach at A&M was Mike Sherman and it was a checkdown offense.  Sherman got canned and became OC in Miami for Philbin's first two years, before he got dumped and went on to a losing record coaching high school. Tannehill was Sherman's boy, and Gase was probably hired hoping to straighten him out. 

Tannehill suffers from an inability to read complex defenses.  If there is an open guy, he can hit him, and it'll look pretty.  But when he has to anticipate based on what the defense adjusts to post-snap, he holds onto the ball too long to see what develops and that limits him.  I actually have to say, it's a testament to his physical abilities that he's been decent in the NFL because I think he has the ability.  He just can't make that mental jump. 

14 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Gase had to deal with RT's limited style of play, especially since he was a converted WR who only played QB for about a year. Since Tannehill's arrival in miami coaches were limited to his style of play especially with Sherman. Gase had to adapt to RT style of play and many times as seen in other posts RT would not execute properly.  I am not making excuses for Gase but what I do like is that he said he's going to taylor his offense to Sam's strengths and style of play. Time will tell.

They also had to deal with a terrible OL too, albeit he faces the same issue here.

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Thanks for putting this together.  Very interesting stuff.  But....

Gase was not a good coach in Miami and his offenses were putrid - at the bottom of the league and got consistently worse each of this three years.

Maybe he can turn it around - I certainly hope he does.

But let's not try and sugar coat it.

Thanks.

The rankings are bad for sure, but I think a good amount of the blame can also be attributed to Tannehill.  

13 hours ago, tfine said:

Tannehill has a monster contract. The front office was not going to let Gase find another QB after they just paid him a ton of money. That would look bad

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah the contract really killed any shot at a change, too much invested.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2