Calling it right now, Murray will go in the top 3

nico002

He is far and away the most talented quarterback in this class.

He is an elite natural thrower with incredible athleticism. 

Played in same offense as Baker which is proven to translate to NFL.

Basically was better than Baker in every possible way.

He is extremely short- but he is literally a Russel Wilson clone from a play style/physical standpoint. I’d say he’s about 25% more talented than Russel.

The only semi knock I have is that he doesn’t appear to be a face of the franchise type personality.

If AZ doesn’t take him, the Jags/ Dolphins/ Broncos/ Bengals/  Redskins will trade up. 

My money right now is on the Jags.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to be excited about seeing Bosa or Quinnen fall to us, but really I'd rather see us pick up the best offensive tackle at our pick, or trade down to a pick where it makes sense to pick one.  

So while I get Murray going before our pick, or someone trading with us to get Murray, is only good for the Jets - my dream scenario is that one of these offensive tackles blows up the combine process and warrants 3rd overall selection.  

Az isn't taking him they took Rosen last year. Phins say they are tanking this season I would expect them to try and follow the browns blue print. Bengals, Broncos, jags are teams I think will move up. Raiders I think will stand pat where they are also I dont think they take a qb at pick 4. Redskins arent chasing this guy after what happened to them with rg3. Redskins I could see going after flacco or dare I say they could try to reaquire cousins (maybe too bold) I don't see the market and desire to move up for any of the qbs in the draft being very high this year.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, nico002 said:

He is extremely short- but he is literally a Russel Wilson clone from a play style/physical standpoint. I’d say he’s about 25% more talented than Russel.

The only semi knock I have is that he doesn’t appear to be a face of the franchise type personality.

If AZ doesn’t take him, the Jags/ Dolphins/ Broncos/ Bengals/  Redskins will trade up. 

He is not the best QB in this class

He was not better than Baker in any way

He is not more talented than Russel Wilson

He will not be drafted in the top 3

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

i am not the biggest PFF fan, but i generally think their grading system does produce good results. they ranked Murray as the only QB in this draft with top level franchise QB projection. someone also described him as Reggie Bush on the run, with elite QB ability.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

You almost had me with the thread title. I don't think he will be drafted that high, but there is the Klingsbury wild card. As usual though, once you begin to explain your reasoning, you lose me.

line 1. No he isn't.

line 2. Yes give you that one

line 3. Yes again.

line 4. Dumb, and not close to being true. You couldn't be more wrong. He sat behind Mayfield for a reason. I know you hate Baker as much as you love Sam, but statements like this are why I can't take you seriously.

line 5. No. The only similarities are the mobility and baseball.

line6. WTF does this even mean?

line 7. Wrong again, If ARI doesn't take him, he's not top 3. If the Jags move up, it'll be for Haskins. They won't have to move up for Murray. They can take him after the Giants take Haskins. Nice story though.

line 8. Meh, not going to knock you here, some team might move up(just not to top 3), but the Jags are not the team I'd bet on for Murray. Coughlin and Marrone strike me as liking the more classic QB type like a Haskins or Jones.

28 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I posted almost the same thing just now because I only read the OP. Its crazy how we both answered almost identically. LOL.

He was better than Baker statistically and also won the heisman. 

He sat behind Baker because of his age and because he was a two sport athlete.

He is the same height as Russell Wilson. Look at the mayfield Wilson interview- Baker TOWERS over Russell.

His play style is very similar to Wilson. Both are past first QBs with elite running ability (Murray is significantly better than Baker in this category)

Giants should be in the middle of any Josh Rosen availability

February 12, 2019 | 7:30pm

Modal Trigger
Josh Rosen
Josh RosenJoseph Weiser/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

At this point, it seems as if the Giants are interested in making Kyler Murray their next franchise quarterback only if they are allowed to quietly slide in a new rule that allows players to use a step stool while on the field.

At this point, the noise swirling around Josh Rosen and a possible trade by the Cardinals to unload their 22-year old quarterback — in order to replace him with Murray — is merely background chatter. The Giants were not smitten with Rosen last year but, with the arrival of Valentine’s Day on Thursday, perhaps this is the time to see if love might bloom — if Rosen can be pried out of Arizona.

The Giants, still smarting from a 5-11 season to kick off the Dave Gettleman/Pat Shurmur regime, are committed to 2019 with Eli Manning as their starting quarterback and hope to use this year’s draft — not free agency — to find the next in line.

It is likely the only youngster in this draft deemed worthy of a first-round pick by the Giants will be Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State. What do the Giants think of him? They are intrigued. Gettleman and Shurmur have yet to sit in a room and get to know Haskins, have yet to watch him up close at the NFL Scouting Combine or at his Pro Day. Anyone who indicates the Giants, right now, are sold or sour on Haskins is blowing smoke.

Murray, the Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma, has pushed his football chips to the center of the table, eschewing (for now) baseball and an outfield spot in the Oakland A’s farm system. This is a positive development for the Giants, as it could push a top prospect down to them at No. 6 and possibly cracks open the door on a trade for Rosen — who could be a golden ticket for the Giants.

The unearthing of Rosen is a connect-the-dots undertaking triggered months ago, when Kliff Kingsbury was the head coach at Texas Tech and said, “Kyler is a freak. I would take him with the first pick of the draft if I could.’’

Lo and behold, Kingsbury is the new head coach of the Cardinals and owns the No. 1 pick in the draft. That Murray hired Erik Burkhardt as his agent adds fuel to the fire, as Burkhardt also represents Kingsbury.

Rosen, the 10th-overall pick in 2018, had a rough rookie year. He completed 55.2 percent of his passes with 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions for a quarterback rating of 66.7 — behind a terrible offensive line.

Trying to quell the innuendo, Kingsbury on Tuesday backed off his past Murray raves as a precursor to dumping Rosen.

“Our feeling toward Josh haven’t waned or changed,’’ Kingsbury said. “I get it. We have the first pick, so there are going to be a million scenarios over the next three months. Kyler is a tremendous player. I said that being very complimentary before we played against an opponent.’’

This dampens the fire but does not douse it completely.

It is no great surprise that “Hog Mollie’’ Gettleman and “I fancy guys that are tall’’ Shurmur at this stage of the game are not viewing Murray as a viable option. Gettleman is a firm believer when the dust settles, a quarterback must — must — win games from the pocket. Murray is barely 5-foot-9 and for all his dervish moves and rocket arm, he is not experiencing a growth spurt any time soon.

image.gif.8c56393550b03dddf58db8b09caccb33.gif

Lack of height is not the only concern. Browns savior Baker Mayfield, who finished second to Saquon Barkley for the Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year award, is listed, generously, at 6-1. Russell Wilson of the Seahawks fell to the third round in 2012 largely because he is 5-11. Mayfield and Wilson are exceptions and, at 215 pounds apiece, much bulkier athletes than Murray, listed as 195 pounds. The suspicion is he is closer to 185. There will be plenty of interested onlookers at the combine when Murray gets up on the scale.

A year ago, there were those in the Giants’ organization taken with Rosen’s arm talent, which is considerable, but bothered by Rosen’s history of concussions and his somewhat edgy personality. In Gettleman’s view, all the quarterbacks in the 2018 draft ran a distant second to Barkley’s generational gifts.

There is also a thought that Rosen was not ready to play as a rookie, but the Cardinals played him anyway, with predictably nightmarish results. Kingsbury now proclaiming his allegiance to Rosen is either the real truth or the public truth. The Giants should explore this to determine if Rosen is gettable and what it would cost to swing a deal — if they could acquire him and not give up the No. 6-overall pick, it would be a no-brainer.

Bringing in the closest young version of Manning — a tall, pocket passer — is not the worst idea out there. Rosen would benefit from what he was not afforded in Arizona, a chance to sit and wait and learn behind Manning, a consummate professional.

Rosen should not be branded as a lost cause because of the inadequacies of the operation around him. Patrick Mahomes, with Kingsbury as his head coach, went 7-6 and 5-7 his final two years at Texas Tech. Sometimes the situation is simply not conducive to winning.

Imagine if the Giants eventually came out of the 2018 draft with Barkley and Rosen?

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

He is the same height as Russell Wilson. Look at the mayfield Wilson interview- Baker TOWERS over Russell.

His play style is very similar to Wilson. Both are past first QBs with elite running ability (Murray is significantly better than Baker in this category)

What is this thread even about? The title says Murray, but instead you're playing the fool by knocking Mayfield in it. Murray's job was to carry Mayfield's dirty socks and jock to the laundry bin when they were on the same team.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Nico, you are being way too kind.  His lack of charisma and self assuredness, hallmarks of any franchise quarterback is astounding.  I can't imagine any franchise leadership being impressed enough with this kid's demeanor to take a chance on making him a top overall pick, especially considering his physical stature.  In spite of this, I am rooting for him HARD.  For no other reason than it will be a fantastic situation for our Jets. If he blows away the combine we win.  If the Cardinals are crazy enough to take him at #1 we win.  It'll feel good to win for a change.

26 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Are you ******* with everyone?

5 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Other than Arizona and Kingsbury I just don’t see another HC or OC willing to go all in on this kid and the offensive style to allow the kid to thrive. Could be wrong just don’t see it.

He will be drafted in the first round no matter what too many teams need a qb

2 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Late first early second is best case top three can’t see it.Could see someone tradeing back into the first for him.

Do not underestimate the hype there are a half dozen sports networks with nothing compelling to report on between now and MLB season besides March Madness which is only 2 weeks long

Murray and Haskins are qbs and they sell copy and get viewers.  They will be hyping these guys and someone will bite early

He came off as EXTREMELY dumb the one time I heard him speak. How can this guy survive the combine interview process? Baker made his dumb mistakes but the guy is smart. I hope someone trades a king’s ransom to us to get him, I just don’t see it happening.

Archived