Jets interested in RB Tevin Coleman

LAD_Brooklyn

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

You realize Bell catches 80+ passes a year along with carrying the ball 300 times at over 4 a carry. You don’t think Sam could use that? But jets fans wanna bring in Coleman who cant handle that workload or some rookie in the 3rd rd at least (no 2nd rd pick). Let’s just roll with Elijah McGuire again and his 3 YPC

For a team that has sucked for most of its fans’ entire lives, and has trouble giving its money away, the typical Jet fan fear of “overpaying” borders on a personality disorder.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Everyone likes to get dramatic on one side or another on issues.  LOL

This is a good post.  Do the Jets want to gamble 50M that Bell is going to be as good between 27-30, as he was between 22-26?  That's the kind of production they will be paying him for.

im of the mind of not wanting to take that gamble.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Connor had a good year, which just happens to be worse than Bell's worst year. They would've won 12 games if Bell had played all year instead of Connor.

You should at least research facts before you go slinging non factual “facts”.

Bell 2013, 244 rushing attempts 3.5 average, 45 receptions 399 yards

Connor last year; 215 rushing attempts 4.5 average, 55 receptions 499 yards

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

im of the mind of not wanting to take that gamble.

I’m not saying it has to be on Bell but Jets will have to gamble on some pricey FAs... it’s not a question of “whether” but “who?” Those are the consequences of drafting terribly. 

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, I'm not trying to be a d**k here. To be fair the Steelers offense was pretty damn good last year without Bell.

My point though is that even with that damn good offense, they would've been better with Bell, and our pitiful offense would be way better with a player like him.

Like I said earlier, the Jets are going to go after Bell hard. A lot of you won't be happy about that, but I will. If we get him, and he plays well everyone is happy. If he doesn't, its one more thing we can all bitch about.

I'm not trying to be one either - but you're not just making these decisions in a vaacum. Bell is a good, versatile football player and the Jets don't have a lot at running back. Sure, they'd be better with him. Honestly, I think they'd be better with Coleman too.

The Jets have to fill a ton of needs this offseason. Probably need 4 starters on defense and another 5 on offense. They have a lot of cap space but that money evaporates very quickly. Bell is going to be expensive. That's money you cannot spend elsewhere. And young players stepped into his role and gave the Steelers really good production - because the Steelers are a really good offense. Even if he elevates them, they elevate him.

I'd much rather money on Bell goes to edge rusher and offensive line. If they've got that all pulled together and still have money to splooge on Bell - fine. But if resources are limited Bell is not my first choice to spend money on. 

The way I'd look at it is that the Steelers got basically Bell's 2017 production less like 17 total yards a game from two minimum salary players - on less volume than they gave Bell the year before. To me, the difference of like $14M+ in salary does not justify those 17 total yards a game on more volume.

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why because we don’t have Antonio Brown spreading the field for him?

I don’t want brown but glad to see your going all in on brown just like you did last year for dez.and I hope we do the same to brown as we did for dez like not going after. 

25 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm not trying to be one either - but you're not just making these decisions in a vaacum. Bell is a good, versatile football player and the Jets don't have a lot at running back. Sure, they'd be better with him. Honestly, I think they'd be better with Coleman too.

The Jets have to fill a ton of needs this offseason. Probably need 4 starters on defense and another 5 on offense. They have a lot of cap space but that money evaporates very quickly. Bell is going to be expensive. That's money you cannot spend elsewhere. And young players stepped into his role and gave the Steelers really good production - because the Steelers are a really good offense. Even if he elevates them, they elevate him.

I'd much rather money on Bell goes to edge rusher and offensive line. If they've got that all pulled together and still have money to splooge on Bell - fine. But if resources are limited Bell is not my first choice to spend money on. 

The way I'd look at it is that the Steelers got basically Bell's 2017 production less like 17 total yards a game from two minimum salary players - on less volume than they gave Bell the year before. To me, the difference of like $14M+ in salary does not justify those 17 total yards a game on more volume.

I agree about us needing help at a lot of different positions. Where you and I disagree is the value of a single elite player who is a dual threat skill position player. In my opinion, even though it is certainly possible to match the production of any elite WR or RB with two players at the same position, that won't help you win.

Does jag A and jag B equal say, OBJ in the passing game, or Saquon Barkley in the run game? Do defenses scheme for RB A&B the same way they do for Barkley? Will A&B draw the same double teams OBJ will?

The fact that teams have to adjust for say a Gronk as opposed to a Leggett is what the Jets are missing and need so badly. Sure we can come pretty close to the totals OBJ and Barkley put up by using two players at their positions, but does that make us better? Does Leggett scare a defense the way a Gronk does? How about OBJ/2 jags? or Barkley/2 jags?

Elite talent wins, average talents compete.

From Walterfootball 

Tevin Coleman had the opportunity to have a dominant year as the sole ball-carrier in Atlanta when Devonta Freeman went down with an injury. Coleman disappointed, however, gaining only 800 rushing yards. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, but that is a misleading stat which came to light because of a couple of long runs versus Arizona's abysmal defense. 
Read more at 

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree about us needing help at a lot of different positions. Where you and I disagree is the value of a single elite player who is a dual threat skill position player. In my opinion, even though it is certainly possible to match the production of any elite WR or RB with two players at the same position, that won't help you win.

Does jag A and jag B equal say, OBJ in the passing game, or Saquon Barkley in the run game? Do defenses scheme for RB A&B the same way they do for Barkley? Will A&B draw the same double teams OBJ will?

The fact that teams have to adjust for say a Gronk as opposed to a Leggett is what the Jets are missing and need so badly. Sure we can come pretty close to the totals OBJ and Barkley put up by using two players at their positions, but does that make us better? Does Leggett scare a defense the way a Gronk does? How about OBJ/2 jags? or Barkley/2 jags?

Elite talent wins, average talents compete.

I was actually comparing Bell’s stats the prior year adjusted for one extra game to just whoever started for the Steelers. So there is no 2 for 1 comparison.

7 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

From Walterfootball 

Tevin Coleman had the opportunity to have a dominant year as the sole ball-carrier in Atlanta when Devonta Freeman went down with an injury. Coleman disappointed, however, gaining only 800 rushing yards. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, but that is a misleading stat which came to light because of a couple of long runs versus Arizona's abysmal defense. 
Read more at 

what they are not taking into account was the Falcons line was as bad as ours was with opening holes. If you want a young fast back without the off the field issues or miles then Coleman is it. towards midway thru the season they were playing ito smith who got may 100 attemps for a less then 4 yrds per carry

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I’m not saying it has to be on Bell but Jets will have to gamble on some pricey FAs... it’s not a question of “whether” but “who?” Those are the consequences of drafting terribly. 

its true, but not a lot of guys that are going to be asking for 50 mil guaranteed, theres calculated risks. and guys that will take deals that we can get out of in 2-3 years if structured right. 

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Tevin Coleman. Seriously?

We are screwed, I mean 5-6 wins at best screwed, if we don't sign Leveon Bell.

Sooner or later people here are going to realize how bad this team's offense is, and how rarely such a bad team has the opportunity to get a player like Bell for only money.

We have to stop the "running backs are easily replaced" stuff, @HawkeyeJet. Mediocre, jag type RBs are easily replaced. Not 27 year old RBs with Bell's receiving and running skills. Those are not easily replaceable. Or easy to find, as the Jets have proved quite well.

Its amazing how Jet fans love to play GM, criticize the lack of skill players we have, yet thumb their nose at the best skill player available to them.

If Bell signs with another team the Jets need another FA RB not named Bell, and then maybe draft one. Adding 2 more and we'll see which one becomes good.

Where's the thread made a month ago where everyone was all on board with the signing of tevin Coleman. People were pointing out his PFF rating,  he averaged almost 5 ypc and, is a good receiver. People were saying he's almost LeBron bell but 1/5 of the price. 

What has changed?  I haven't seen any football played In the last month. Is it because the first few people who posted in this thread don't like Coleman and everyone else here are sheep,  following the herd? 

I don't understand the derision for this player.  Tevin Coleman is young, explosive, and talented. He is fast and can catch the ball.  He does not fumble, nor does he have an injury history. His production has increased every year in the league. The only reason he is available is because the Falcons can't afford him, and have an acceptable replacement on a rookie contract.  They also have big money invested in Devonte Freeman.  It's a numbers game.  This is not someone else's castoff or a problem child. Viewed through an unprejudiced lens, Tevin Coleman would be a sensible, positive addition to the Jets backfield.

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

its true, but not a lot of guys that are going to be asking for 50 mil guaranteed, theres calculated risks. and guys that will take deals that we can get out of in 2-3 years if structured right. 

Insisting on a team-friendly deal is the same thing as not competing for elite players.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Everyone will disagree on whether they have or haven't. The media consensus is no to Bell unless on short term. 

I would easily concur with that. I want no part of Bell period. Rumor has the Ravens as the fav for him. Good for them.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I would be great if we would commit to one back, the trio doesn't work. Its horrible. Powell is enough and everytime theybgave him over 15 touches he was a chain eater.

But we have to five ivory, Crowell whoever touches.

Every time they gave Powell more than 15 carries, he got hurt.  Ivory was considerably better than Powell every year he was here. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I don't understand the derision for this player.  Tevin Coleman is young, explosive, and talented. He is fast and can catch the ball.  He does not fumble, nor does he have an injury history. His production has increased every year in the league. The only reason he is available is because the Falcons can't afford him, and have an acceptable replacement on a rookie contract.  They also have big money invested in Devonte Freeman.  It's a numbers game.  This is not someone else's castoff or a problem child. Viewed through an unprejudiced lens, Tevin Coleman would be a sensible, positive addition to the Jets backfield.

I don’t see it as people knocking Coleman. If we can’t get Bell, I’d be okay with him. But try hard for the best guy, and that’s Bell.. If he goes elsewhere, then you look at the Coleman type guy. 

I happen to want Bell. A lot. I don’t want to see this FA period morph into one where we go “second tier” level. I’d prefer quality not quantity. I want the priority to be top guys like Bell, Morse/Paradis, Saffold, Tate, etc. 

Decide the positions of need, get the most top guys you can at those spots. I don’t care who or what position, which ever they decide are most important as long as they are quality. This team is in desperate need of talent, and unfortunately we’re going to have to over pay in order to get it.

Then with whatever money you have left, go after the next, or depth level and this time look for the best player, not so much the position because damn, we need depth.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don’t see it as people knocking Coleman. If we can’t get Bell, I’d be okay with him. But try hard for the best guy. If he goes elsewhere, then you look at the Coleman type guy. 

I happen to want Bell. A lot. I don’t want to see this FA period morph into one where we go “second tier” level. I’d prefer quality not quantity. I want the priority to be top guys like Bell, Morse/Paradis, Saffold, Tate, etc. 

Decide the positions of need, get the most top guys you can at those spots. I don’t care who or what position, which ever they decide are most important as long as they are quality. This team is in desperate need of talent, and unfortunately we’re going to have to over pay in order to get it.

Then go after the next, or depth level and this time look for the best player, not so much the position because damn, we need depth.

Don't think Bell is coming here.  Coleman is at worst a second tier guy.  Like all of the other top guys you mentioned.  None of them seem to be using the Jets as leverage.  I think Bell will. So far the Jets seem to be addressing free agency exactly as you envision.  Their reported interest in Saffold speaks to that.  I think the reported interest in Coleman is another example of pragmatic targeting.

I don't see the Jets having to overpay any more than any other team.  The market is the market, and they should pay that price not some ridiculous amount.  Like you said, we need depth.  Can't get it if you don't have any money.

6 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Where's the thread made a month ago where everyone was all on board with the signing of tevin Coleman. People were pointing out his PFF rating,  he averaged almost 5 ypc and, is a good receiver. People were saying he's almost LeBron bell but 1/5 of the price. 

What has changed?  I haven't seen any football played In the last month. Is it because the first few people who posted in this thread don't like Coleman and everyone else here are sheep,  following the herd? 

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

You realize Bell catches 80+ passes a year along with carrying the ball 300 times at over 4 a carry. You don’t think Sam could use that? But jets fans wanna bring in Coleman who cant handle that workload or some rookie in the 3rd rd at least (no 2nd rd pick). Let’s just roll with Elijah McGuire again and his 3 YPC

he has a fair amount of tread on his tire, and rumors are he has not stayed in shape, to boot. What comes back may not resemble what left.

Archived