De'Angelo Henderson signs ERFA tender with Jets

joewilly12

De’Angelo Henderson signs ERFA tender with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on April 2, 2019, 2:47 PM EDT
gettyimages-1025618980-e1554230846283.jp
Getty Images

The Jets will kick off their offseason program next week and they continue to get their exclusive rights free agents under contract ahead of April 8.

Five players signed their tenders with the team last week and a sixth got it done on Tuesday. The agents for running back De'Angelo Henderson announced their client signed his tender.

Henderson was a Broncos sixth-round pick in 2017 and appeared in five games for Denver during his rookie season. He failed to make the team out of camp last year and landed on the Jets’ practice squad. He ran twice for 19 yards in three games after being promoted to the active roster.

Henderson joins Le'Veon Bell, Elijah McGuire and Trenton Cannon on the Jets’ running back depth chart.

Remember all of that arguing about how the Jets only had 32 players on the roster and they'd never be able to spend on big players bc they wouldn't be able to field a team? That was fun. They now currently have 70 players under contract with $26.5 million in cap space left. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Remember all of that arguing about how the Jets only had 32 players on the roster and they'd never be able to spend on big players bc they wouldn't be able to field a team? That was fun. They now currently have 70 players under contract with $26.5 million in cap space left. 

Nobody was complaining that they wouldn't have enough players for camp.  We were complaining that they did not have enough legit NFL players.  This does not change that.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I actually like Henderson. He's nothing special and wouldn't wow an audience in a bell cow role, but he's more talented than the rest of them. He's good depth. 

I like him too.  He's actually a fairly effective runner, but the fumbling problems are a huge concern.

12 hours ago, choon328 said:

Indeed. Big players like De'Angelo Henderson. Despite the straw man stuff you're spiking the ball against here, they fielded a team last year, too. What of it? People said they wouldn't field a good/contender team, not that they wouldn't field any team at all. 

Here are the starters and how they've changed personnel from 2018 to 2019:

OL: (no upgrade at 4/5 starting positions)

• LT = no upgrade
  • LG = upgrade from Carpenter: traded 5th round pick for Osemele @ $11MM/year
  • C = no upgrade (re-signed the guy who backed up not only Spencer Long, but also Wesley Johnson)
  • RG = no upgrade
  • RT = no change
Offensive skill positions: (upgraded 2 starters)
  • RB = upgrade from Crowell: Bell @$13MM/yr
  • QB1 = no upgrade (duh) on paper; though Darnold should of course be better in year 2 than as a rookie
  • WR1 = no upgrade
  • WR2 = no upgrade (re-signed Enunwa @ $9MM/year)
  • WR3/slot = upgrade from Kearse to Crowder @$9MM/year
  • TE = no upgrade
Front 7: (one upgrade, and what's funny is prior to the Mosely signing, anyone who suggested we should pay through the nose to upgrade from Darrron Lee was branded a hater; so I guess that nefarioius group now includes the GM)
  • DE/DT = no upgrade (re-signed last year's $1.9MM Anderson @ $7MM/year)
  • DE/DT = no upgrade (exercised 5th year option for Leo, getting a raise from last year's $3MM salary to $14MM)
  • NT = no upgrade (re-signed McLendon @ $2.5MM)
  • EDGE OLB/DE 1 = no upgrade 
  • OLB2 = no upgrade
  • ILB1 = upgrade from Lee to Mosely @ $17MM/year
Secondary: (no upgrades)
  • CB1 = no upgrade (couldn't, as we're locked in to last year's FA pickup)
  • CB2 = downgrade from Claiborne to Roberts 
  • CB3/slot = downgrade from Skrine to Poole
  • SS = no upgrade (duh)
  • FS = no upgrade (also duh); hopefully Maye plays more than 6 games this year

Special teams:

• K = downgraded (though Catanzaro is more than adequate if he repeats his 2017 Jets season)
  • P = no upgrade

Summary: after spending some $80MM in cap heading into the draft, here are all the new starter upgrades:

• offense = RB, slot/WR3, LG
  • defense = ILB

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Indeed. Big players like De'Angelo Henderson. Despite the straw man stuff you're spiking the ball against here, they fielded a team last year, too. What of it? People said they wouldn't field a good/contender team, not that they wouldn't field any team at all. 

• LT = no upgrade
  • C = no upgrade (re-signed the guy who backed up not only Spencer Long, but also Wesley Johnson)
  • RG = no upgrade
  • RT = no change
  • QB1 = no upgrade (duh) on paper; though Darnold should of course be better in year 2 than as a rookie
  • WR1 = no upgrade
  • TE = no upgrade
Front 7: (one upgrade, and what's funny is anyone who suggested we should pay through the nose to upgrade from Darrron Lee was branded a hater; so I guess that nefarioius group now includes the GM)
  • DE/DT = no upgrade (exercised 5th year option for Leo, getting a raise from last year's $3MM salary to $14MM)
  • OLB2 = no upgrade
  • SS = no upgrade (duh)

Special teams:

• K = downgraded (though Catanzaro is more than adequate if he repeats his 2017 Jets season)
  • P = no upgrade

Summary: after spending some $80MM in cap heading into the draft, here are all the new starter upgrades:

• defense = ILB

PLAYOFFS!

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• LT = no upgrade
  • RG = no upgrade
  • RT = no change
  • WR1 = no upgrade
  • TE = no upgrade
Front 7: (one upgrade, and what's funny is anyone who suggested we should pay through the nose to upgrade from Darrron Lee was branded a hater; so I guess that nefarioius group now includes the GM)
  • OLB2 = no upgrade
  • SS = no upgrade (duh)

Special teams:

• P = no upgrade

• defense = ILB

Good job with the bulk of this Sperm.  Disagree about both Poole and Roberts.  Skrine needed to go, and Clairborne sucks, plain an simple. 

As for De'Angelo Henderson, I don't see the point with retaining him.  Does not bring any added dimension, and is just another body. Redundant retention to a group that needs a depth upgrade.

Jets had one of the worst running Olines in the league. Eli was tackled numerous times IN THE BACKFIELD! 

They added OK for this very reason, LG was huge hole. Plus, defenses challenged the rookie by loading the box & Bates ran on 1st & 2nd down CONTINUOUSLY resulting in Sam in numerous 3rd & long situations. 

Sam Darnolds growth alone will help the Oline. The QB plays a huge factor with cadence, recognition of defensive alignments, getting out of bad plays. Sam can get the ball out very quickly from any angle, can he speed up drop, plant & throw with confidence? 

A team like KC had so many weapons it was much tougher to load up on the running game. Tyreek Hill is one scary WR, Jets have no one that draw some that kind of attention. The Oline will be fine if Sam can take his game to the next level under Gase. It's a VERY GOOD GROUP he has with Anderson, Quincy, Crowder, Herndon, Bell. This group stays healthy, I expect a lot from them. Darnold flashed  star moments & he's a nose to the grindstone kid. 22 f*cking years old at the start of the 2019 season? Coaches WANTED to be here because of his potential. 

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

In what sport?

lol  

I agree with Nico. He's no world beater but he's a decent backup. As is Cannon. I'd prefer Powell to both of them, but that is what it is unfortunately. Bowlesmortonbates was not the best OC to see what these guys really look like.   I look forward to seeing what the entire stable of RB's do this year with Gase. 

8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Good job with the bulk of this Sperm.  Disagree about both Poole and Roberts.  Skrine needed to go, and Clairborne sucks, plain an simple. 

As for De'Angelo Henderson, I don't see the point with retaining him.  Does not bring any added dimension, and is just another body. Redundant retention to a group that needs a depth upgrade.

I agree with you 100% Skrine needed to go, and that he arguably shouldn't have been signed in the first place at his rate. 

Based on past performance, though, they're both downgrades. Thing with corners is when the play doesn't go to them you don't realize its often because the receiver is tightly covered. Claiborne was about an average corner; not particularly good but not particularly bad either. They all look a lot worse when there's no serious pass rush, or when they have to send a DB (typically Adams) in to rush the passer. Corners on teams who can generate good pressure just from a front 4 (let alone from a front 3) don't have this handicap.

Even if one disagreed with the assessment, it's tough to make an argument that either is clearly an upgrade who'll continue to be upgrades over the course of a full season starting. Lots of players look better than they are in short stints when they get a rare starting opportunity.

Re Henderson, at worst he provides 2 things: (1) further reduces the pigeonholing of one of the draft picks for the position; and (2) it's another body to further split carries all summer long. ERFA tags I believe are similar to RFA tags in that they're not guaranteed. So long as he isn't injured at least, he can be a casualty on final cut day. 

48 minutes ago, jack48 said:

No one is a downgrade from Skrine.  He got beaten like a rented mule every play.  I will give him this:  best secondary blitzer we had

With all of this hub bub about PI being reviewable, Skrine might be good for a couple more of those this year than usual. Good time to move on from him. 

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody was complaining that they wouldn't have enough players for camp.  We were complaining that they did not have enough legit NFL players.  This does not change that.

Exactly. Jets still have a lot of garbage in their top 51 players and are still 22 short of 90 for training camp. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

They added OK for this very reason, LG was huge hole. Plus, defenses challenged the rookie by loading the box & Bates ran on 1st & 2nd down CONTINUOUSLY resulting in Sam in numerous 3rd & long situations. 

The conservatism was maddening at times, but I think the lack of success when running made it seem like that's all they do. No one complains when it's working. Like there was close to a 2:1 ratio run:pass vs Denver, but we smoked them so who cares what the ratio was, or how many 3rd & longs he had that day.

The reality is (outside of downs inside/around the opponents' 5 yard line, where most teams run the ball on 1st & goal), the team was otherwise split 50/50 on 1st downs: 197 run vs 195 pass.

2nd down it was more slanted 144 rush/101 pass, but a lot of that ratio was due to being lopsided on 2nd & 1 to 2nd & 3. In other words, even when stuffed it didn't lead to 3rd & long (all year the only time 2nd & short led to 3rd & long was when Darnold was sacked).  

There were 92 3rd & long attempts on the year. That's 1/6 of our plays on offense, which is unhealthy, but that wasn't all just due to playcalling. A lot (and probably most) of the difference, from where we'd rather it was, was attributable to the generally poor performance of the offense as a whole. Most of those occasions were when the team passed on 1 or both of the prior 2 downs; far more often than 3rd & long resulting from 1st and then 2nd down runs. Probably more common was an unsuccessful run for 1-2 yards and an incompletion (in whatever order) and there you have it we're in 3rd & 9 or 10. Yeah well no one notices that if the pass attempt is completed vs the "stacked box" in those situations. 

I think this falls under the "The Jets should only call the good plays!" complaint more than "all they do is run-run-pass-punt" which wasn't accurate even with the (at times gutless) playcalling from Bates. 

@Jetster

Just saying he was a rookie, rookies do rookie things, and even a subpar OC is probably aware of that. It wouldn't have been so smart to have him pass-happy every game right from the start, and the criticism would justifiably be even greater if Darnold took a beating all year because we dropped him back far more often.

Truth is for much of the early parts of the season, while you could see the talent is there, in terms of results Darnold often didn't look very good. You try to take pressure off him by running it, but when that doesn't work honestly the QB has to pick up the slack not have people cry victimhood over it; that's why we drafted him instead of sticking with the garbage we've had for years. 

There were a good number of passes where he was way off, when Anderson for instance had his man beat and it should have been an easy long gain (if not an easy TD), with the receiver taking all the fan blame for the lower catch rate. That doesn't include other times he forced it in somewhere because he didn't see a far more open target. Again, BFD; he was a rookie. That improvement will come with not just experience, but experience with that receiver specifically, in terms of accuracy, since RA is kinda fast and he runs deeper routes.

Also don't discount a bunch of Long's crappy snaps that probably also messed with his timing while the game is still moving fast for him. He got noticeably more comfortable later in the season and the idea/hope/belief is that will continue to improve. 

I'd have preferred even more improvement on the OL than just Osemele, as much as I like that pickup, because the line wasn't 4/5 solid last year. 

13 hours ago, New York Mick said:

After Bell the RBs are garbage 

I dunno about that. I like McGuire as a change of pace back and he has good hands and YAC. I think he will be even better with whatever O-line upgrade we end up making on top of the Osemele trade.  

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I dunno about that. I like McGuire as a change of pace back and he has good hands and YAC. I think he will be even better with whatever O-line upgrade we end up making on top of the Osemele trade.  

Why?  In two seasons he has averaged 3.6 and 3.0 ypc.  He's had several starts and never broke 100 yards. In fact, he's only broken 60 yards once.  He's been measurably worse than Powell, Crowell and no better than a washed up Forte. His receiving numbers are not good either.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@Jetster

Just saying he was a rookie, rookies do rookie things, and even a subpar OC is probably aware of that. It wouldn't have been so smart to have him pass-happy every game right from the start, and the criticism would justifiably be even greater if Darnold took a beating all year because we dropped him back far more often.

Truth is for much of the early parts of the season, while you could see the talent is there, in terms of results Darnold often didn't look very good. You try to take pressure off him by running it, but when that doesn't work honestly the QB has to pick up the slack not have people cry victimhood over it; that's why we drafted him instead of sticking with the garbage we've had for years. 

There were a good number of passes where he was way off, when Anderson for instance had his man beat and it should have been an easy long gain (if not an easy TD), with the receiver taking all the fan blame for the lower catch rate. That doesn't include other times he forced it in somewhere because he didn't see a far more open target. Again, BFD; he was a rookie. That improvement will come with not just experience, but experience with that receiver specifically, in terms of accuracy, since RA is kinda fast and he runs deeper routes.

Also don't discount a bunch of Long's crappy snaps that probably also messed with his timing while the game is still moving fast for him. He got noticeably more comfortable later in the season and the idea/hope/belief is that will continue to improve. 

I'd have preferred even more improvement on the OL than just Osemele, as much as I like that pickup, because the line wasn't 4/5 solid last year. 

Jets had a LOT OF NEGATIVE plays last year on offense. Negative plays, holding, false starts, RBs dropped BEHIND the LOS & dropped easy short passes. 

You add in the ridiculously bad snaps from Long, how weak we were at LG, Quincy going down (It was obvious Sam was comfortable throwing to Q), Kearse basically retiring DURING the season (he played like he'd already decided he was done with football). Teams rolled coverage towards Anderson, and all Sam had was Herndon, who played well. 2nd year for Sam, I see a huge jump adding Bell, Crowder, OK. When guys started going down it coincided with Sam slumping, he started pressing, had no GO TO guys. He was like a different player when he came back & I think getting all of the 1st team reps WITH the starters, Gase will let him let it rip more on 1st & 2nd down. DICTATE, don't let defenses dictate to you. 

18 hours ago, choon328 said:

yep, that's because everyone thinks every other team has 22 pro bowl players.  it just can't happen.  most teams maybe have 5 or 6 exceptional players and the rest are complementary.  after all it a team game.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets had a LOT OF NEGATIVE plays last year on offense. Negative plays, holding, false starts, RBs dropped BEHIND the LOS & dropped easy short passes. 

You add in the ridiculously bad snaps from Long, how weak we were at LG, Quincy going down (It was obvious Sam was comfortable throwing to Q), Kearse basically retiring DURING the season (he played like he'd already decided he was done with football). Teams rolled coverage towards Anderson, and all Sam had was Herndon, who played well. 2nd year for Sam, I see a huge jump adding Bell, Crowder, OK. When guys started going down it coincided with Sam slumping, he started pressing, had no GO TO guys. He was like a different player when he came back & I think getting all of the 1st team reps WITH the starters, Gase will let him let it rip more on 1st & 2nd down. DICTATE, don't let defenses dictate to you. 

yep.  i think with darnold it's important to see how well he finished the season.  if he only had one good game at the end it wuldn't mean much but he put a good string after coming back from his injury and it showed how much he progressed during the season.  it's right to expect good things from him going into this season and beyond.  here's to hoping the jets can continue to put some good talent on the oline and skill positions.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep.  i think with darnold it's important to see how well he finished the season.  if he only had one good game at the end it wuldn't mean much but he put a good string after coming back from his injury and it showed how much he progressed during the season.  it's right to expect good things from him going into this season and beyond.  here's to hoping the jets can continue to put some good talent on the oline and skill positions.

Highest QB QBR in the league the last quarter of the season. That's saying a lot considering he was playing backups. 

Archived