Interesting insight from Chris Simms

1. Macc was about to be fired by the Texans until his buddy Casserly recommended him for the Jets job 

2. Rhule was the #1 candidate for Jets job and the idea was that Gase would be OC and Williams would be DC (thank god we dodged that bullet)

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

1. Macc was about to be fired by the Texans until his buddy Casserly recommended him for the Jets job 

2. Rhule was the #1 candidate for Jets job and the idea was that Gase would be OC and Williams would be DC (thank god we dodged that bullet)

Cannot believe Woody Johnson ****ed this plot up. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

How do you know we dodged that bullet?  Gase's resume is so so at best and we have just handed him the keys to the sports car.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Imaging being gospel-quotin’ Matt Rhule and you’re about to get your first NFL gig and Mike Maccagnan tells you your coordinators are going to be two extremely bitter, notoriously hostile, recently-deposed head coaches, each of whom would kill you in your sleep to take your job 

This is great.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I’ve been one of Maccagnan’s biggest critics for several years now. However, he wasn’t a bad hire just because he didn’t work out. We all wanted someone with a scouting background. He was qualified for the GM job, regardless of whether Houston intended to fire him. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imaging being gospel-quotin’ Matt Rhule and you’re about to get your first NFL gig and Mike Maccagnan tells you your coordinators are going to be two extremely bitter, notoriously hostile, recently-deposed head coaches, each of whom would kill you in your sleep to take your job 

For those who are new to JN, this is why the man wins the reputation battle.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This guys posts crack me up every single time lol they’re so true but worded so hilariously 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’ve been one of Maccagnan’s biggest critics for several years now. However, he wasn’t a bad hire just because he didn’t work out. We all wanted someone with a scouting background. He was qualified for the GM job, regardless of whether Houston intended to fire him. 

I wanted a scout but I remember not loving that he was a Houston scout.  Joe Douglas being an Eagles/Ravens guy (and IIRC "VP of player personnel" for the Eagles) is EXACTLY the kind of guy we should hire.  2 excellent franchises to model ourselves after.

From Breer:

Coaches were lukewarm on Bell, was an ownership decision. Coaches wanted Mosely. Ed Oliver was probably ranked higher by coaches, but Mac went safe. Overall, Maccagnan was soft and incapable of making a firm decision.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/16/new-york-jets-mike-maccagnan-adam-gase-joe-douglas?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

Conversely, there’s a lot that made it abundantly clear how badly the organization was misaligned—a result of too many people acting as foot soldiers and not enough stepping up as generals. There was no big blowup in the building, no public display of dissension. But there was plenty of passive aggression to make up for that.

• There was a widespread belief in the organization that the pursuit of Bell was spurred by ownership—or moreso that Maccagnan conducted it because he knew that’s what the Johnsons wanted. In the process, Gase informed others in the building that he didn’t want Bell, but said that, if Bell signed, he’d be fine coaching him. Fair or not, some saw that as Gase distancing himself from the decision, while lining himself up for credit if it worked, in large part because that matched up with his reputation in Miami.

Mosley was a different case. Gase had him No. 1 on his veteran wish list from the start, I’m told, which explains the wild price the Jets paid to get him: $17 million per, which is nearly $5 million per more than Luke Kuechly made as the NFL’s highest paid off-ball linebacker in 2018. The coach saw him as the type of cultural tone-setter he wanted for his program. Even if no one was crazy about the price tag, the Jets knew they’d have to overpay to beat out Baltimore, which badly wanted to keep him. They wound up a full $3 million per past the Ravens in the process.

• Some friction ahead of free agency was settled well before the draft, and with goals accomplished on the veteran market, many in the building were led to believe that the Maccagnan/Gase partnership was moving forward. Then before the draft, another small sign that aligned with how the Bell situation was perceived cropped up. The coaches ranked Quinnen Williams above Houston DT Ed Oliver, but gushed over Oliver in meetings. This was seen, again, as coaches covering themselves on both ends of a decision, this time openly lusting for one player while toeing the line on the league-wide consensus that the other was better.

• Through it all, Maccagnan held the trigger, and came under criticism internally over a lack of decisiveness that matched poorly with others playing both sides of decision; he’d collect opinions but rarely came down strongly on one side or another in meetings. But free agency and the draft were his shows—In fact, in the war room on draft weekend, Gase was relatively quiet. So it’s easy to ask why Johnson allowed his lame-duck GM to run the bulk of the offseason, if there was a plan to go in another direction (and rumors were circulating about Maccagnan and potential replacement Joe Douglas weeks before the draft). In a similar situation two years ago, the Bills wound up quietly giving command of the draft to coach Sean McDermott, knowing Doug Whaley was on the outs. That didn’t happen here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Ohhhh Jeez.  This idiot was about to be fired as a scout and then that piece of garbage Casserly got him upped to a GM position?????

The Johnson’s should really look into a lawsuit.  Total misrepresentation vouching for this pure moron.

I’m sure the 2 maniacs (although they are INTELLIGENT maniacs, Gase and Williams, which is important) would have thoroughly enjoyed working FOR a guy with very very limited NFL experience in Rhule...but, but, but “he turned around Temple and Baylor”...are you fu*^ing kidding me!!

Yeah, phew, what a massive bullet dodged.

Anyway I blame Casserly way more than the Johnsons...not cool what he did.

I can just see it, I’m sure Maccagnan was a Major a-kisser and flunky of Casserly...for years.  Finger around his belt loop walking down the hall.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Me too... LOVED his resume. God we’re we fukking wrong. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wanted a scout but I remember not loving that he was a Houston scout.  Joe Douglas being an Eagles/Ravens guy (and IIRC "VP of player personnel" for the Eagles) is EXACTLY the kind of guy we should hire.  2 excellent franchises to model ourselves after.

I remember wanting to know who exactly Maccagnan’s biggest “hits” were during his quite long Houston tenure.

The one glaring thing I did know was that Houston never found anything close to a QB while Maccagnan worked for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Cannot believe Woody Johnson ****ed this plot up. 

Huh?  Woody actually made the right move firing the idiot Macagnan 

Was it by accident? Yes.  Was the timing ideal? No.  But it was the right move Macagnan is a bottom 3 GM in the nfl

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

From Breer:

Coaches were lukewarm on Bell, was an ownership decision. Coaches wanted Mosely. Ed Oliver was probably ranked higher by coaches, but Mac went safe. Overall, Maccagnan was soft and incapable of making a firm decision.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/16/new-york-jets-mike-maccagnan-adam-gase-joe-douglas?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

Bell is an extremely overrated signing.  But he’s here now hopefully he smartens up and acts like a professional from now on this isn’t the Herm bbq era or Bowles drooling on himself we have an actual coaching staff

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

How do you know we dodged that bullet?  Gase's resume is so so at best and we have just handed him the keys to the sports car.

Didn't he go 13-11 with Tannehill who was just traded for peanuts to be a backup in Tennessee?  

His record with Cutler (out of the league), Matt Moore (out of the league) and Osweiller (should be out of the league) was bad, but not quite sure you can pin their failures on a head coach. 

Eh, I think at this point it's just revisionist history.  

Clippy the Paperclip would have been a good hire in terms of scouting after Idzik, but the issue was they went completely the opposite of Idzik because he failed.  They went after someone who was purely a scout, rather than someone who actually had a plan to build a team.  

Idzik for all the crap he gets, actually had a GREAT plan.  Don't overpay in FA, gather as many draft picks.  His biggest issue was that he didn't have good scouting ability or scouts working for him, so he whiffed on those picks.  The fans went nuts.  The media went nuts.  The owners went the complete opposite to a guy that had a scouting background, but he didn't know how to set up a team to succeed.  It wasn't a bad hire, but it wasn't a great hire.  It was a reactionary hire.  

The sad thing is, a combination of Idzik/Mccagnan would have been much better, but ownership swung too much to both sides in these decisions.  

I didn't understand what the coaching search this year was, because it didn't make sense.  I watched Temple offense (trying to scout Robby after he was drafted) and Baylor this year (scouting Hurd) and I don't see anything special with him.  It reminded me more of Bowles type hire, where he's a defensive guy that brings intensity and runs a program, but there wasn't anything innovative about him.  Running a program works with 19 year old college kids stuck with you, so you can mend them to the program, just ask Saban.  It doesn't work in the NFL when the most important guys make more money than the coach, and know they have pull over you.  I just didn't see the allure of Rhule.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nico002 said:

i read/heard that and was a little shocked.  casserly really f***ed woody with the mac recommendation.  and then mac was going to compound it by hiring another first time head coach.

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

Eh, I think at this point it's just revisionist history.  

Clippy the Paperclip would have been a good hire in terms of scouting after Idzik, but the issue was they went completely the opposite of Idzik because he failed.  They went after someone who was purely a scout, rather than someone who actually had a plan to build a team.  

Idzik for all the crap he gets, actually had a GREAT plan.  Don't overpay in FA, gather as many draft picks.  His biggest issue was that he didn't have good scouting ability or scouts working for him, so he whiffed on those picks.  The fans went nuts.  The media went nuts.  The owners went the complete opposite to a guy that had a scouting background, but he didn't know how to set up a team to succeed.  It wasn't a bad hire, but it wasn't a great hire.  It was a reactionary hire.  

The sad thing is, a combination of Idzik/Mccagnan would have been much better, but ownership swung too much to both sides in these decisions.  

I didn't understand what the coaching search this year was, because it didn't make sense.  I watched Temple offense (trying to scout Robby after he was drafted) and Baylor this year (scouting Hurd) and I don't see anything special with him.  It reminded me more of Bowles type hire, where he's a defensive guy that brings intensity and runs a program, but there wasn't anything innovative about him.  Running a program works with 19 year old college kids stuck with you, so you can mend them to the program, just ask Saban.  It doesn't work in the NFL when the most important guys make more money than the coach, and know they have pull over you.  I just didn't see the allure of Rhule.  

good points, even about idzik.  i suspect rex had a lot to do with getting idzik launched along with himself.  one of idzik's weakness was his lack of scouting and talent evaluation ability.  mac was supposed to be some sort of college scouting guru.  i don't think i ever heard he was going to be launched by the texans before he was hired.  that was a stupid hire on so many levels.

and i don't see why the jets were going to consider a college guy to be their head coach.  they needed someone with instant credibility to turn things around.  at the time i was wanting mccarthy but that, in hindsight, may not have been the best guy.  imo gase is going to be better than people think at the moment.

• Sympathy 1