Jets are close to taking over AFC East

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol. Last years Bills team was enamored with their 6'-5" TE playing QB & leaping over tall buildings with a single bound. This year they get tired of him overthrowing WRs by 5 yards now that the league has a bead on him. Just roll out those 2 Patriots tapes. Belichick does what Belichick does best, kept him the pocket, went man outside to make sure he had to make tight throws & made him look like Browning Nagle & not Superman. 

For me that's the thing that makes Beli and the Pats great , its the fact that each weeks game plan is targeted at creating mismatches on both sides of the ball. There's no Rex/Bowles approach where they proclaim this what we do - beat us. 

I trust that Gase/Williams will both be much more imaginative then our previous coaches at creating opponent specific gameplans.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol. Last years Bills team was enamored with their 6'-5" TE playing QB & leaping over tall buildings with a single bound. This year they get tired of him overthrowing WRs by 5 yards now that the league has a bead on him. Just roll out those 2 Patriots tapes. Belichick does what Belichick does best, kept him the pocket, went man outside to make sure he had to make tight throws & made him look like Browning Nagle & not Superman. 

Since the old AFL games I think we always go 1-1 against them every year. Christ Matt Barkley beat us AT HOME last year in a game we should have easily won going into it.

• Upvote 2

Optimism is one thing. Blind optimism is quite another. Since I can remember we always split with the Bills and Fish. Sometimes we sweep one but it's been a while that we swept both. I can't even remember when that happened. The guys talking playoffs are in for a ride awakening. 8-8 is going to be this teams ceiling this year and if they are better than that awesome. Just make sure you are as ready to take the heat when your prediction falls short as you are ready to accept the "accolades".

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

So then it’s not exactly the same situation 

Exactly the same.  New GM went to a team with a rep of dysfunction and some talent to work with.   Exactly what our next GM will walk into.

We don't have to be the worst situation ever to enjoy football

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well you are a well known Mac fan boy, who is now probably rooting for jets to lose so your bf mac is considered the missing link ?

Umm, no.  Ive never supported mac in any way.  My issue is the jets don’t, and haven’t in aling time, had any sort of short or long term plan.  Part of that problem is macs, he should have worked to have one.  But, I haven’t seen any sensible change either.  

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

Macc is gone. 

There isn't a capable GM out there that won't understand what this team needs to be complete. Jets still have 30 million dollars & all of their draft picks in 2020. OFFENSIVE LINE....#1 WR...CB. 

This is gonna be the easiest ressurection project in the NFL. Jets already have their QB & he's just turning 22 this August. They are very strong in the trenches on defense, at Dline & LB. You don't need pro bowlers at every position on the Oline they need more youth. 

Jet fans will get the last laugh over the next 5 years. They are already ahead of the Bills, our 21 year old rookie went into Buffalo in the cold weather & beat them last year and Miami is in total rebuild mode. Gregg Williams is going to aggressively go after the inaccurate Josh Allen & the lead footed Rosen. That's 4 wins. Sam with drop over 21 on each & our defense MIGHT give up 17. 

The sky isn't falling. 

This guy gets it.

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

Macc is gone. 

There isn't a capable GM out there that won't understand what this team needs to be complete. Jets still have 30 million dollars & all of their draft picks in 2020. OFFENSIVE LINE....#1 WR...CB. 

This is gonna be the easiest ressurection project in the NFL. Jets already have their QB & he's just turning 22 this August. They are very strong in the trenches on defense, at Dline & LB. You don't need pro bowlers at every position on the Oline they need more youth. 

Jet fans will get the last laugh over the next 5 years. They are already ahead of the Bills, our 21 year old rookie went into Buffalo in the cold weather & beat them last year and Miami is in total rebuild mode. Gregg Williams is going to aggressively go after the inaccurate Josh Allen & the lead footed Rosen. That's 4 wins. Sam with drop over 21 on each & our defense MIGHT give up 17. 

The sky isn't falling. 

If you want to point to one Buffalo game, you should probably mention the other one also. 

13 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Since the old AFL games I think we always go 1-1 against them every year. Christ Matt Barkley beat us AT HOME last year in a game we should have easily won going into it.

Hey Thai, you forgot about TBE, the "Toilet Bowles Effect".  Works every time.  He's gone, thank G-d.  Think that this year's going to be different.

I think we go 3-1 against Miami/Buffalo.  At least. 

We probably won't win them all,  just because "we're the Jets".

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets win opener & last game will be for the playoffs @ Buffalo. Bills players will be packed up & ready to hit the Golf courses. 

Difference this time? Darnold instead of Fitzpatrick, Le'veon Bell instead of Stevan Ridley, Gase/Williams instead of Bowles/Rogers.

PLAYOFFS!

I love someone taking a positive stance and standing fast on it. But I have to be honest, it almost sounds Pollyanna-ish as I read the posts you're leaving here. I want to agree with you, I really do, but I just can't.

I remember looking at our schedule, and I was hard pressed to find a second win in our first 6 games. I wanted to be positive though, so I put us at 2-4, and a strong finish to go 8-8.

I look around the AFC, and I think we'll be hard pressed to have a better record then the Raiders and Bills. If we're going to do anything as far as playoff contention, we'll have to finish ahead of both of them and Pittsburgh. The Patriots, Chiefs, Chargers, Browns, and Ravens are clearly better teams then us.

Even if we assume Darnold plays better then he did last year (statistically it would be hard not to with Bell and Crowder) to be fair you have to assume the same with Allen in Buffalo. We would also have to be incredibly lucky with injuries and still steal a game or two from better teams like the Cowboys, Browns, and Eagles.

I'm hoping you're right, but I'd be very surprised. Happy, but surprised. ? to the positivity though!

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

This is where you lose me. In Buffalo, their homers consider Darnold a turnover machine. To be fair both Darnold and Allen had some good games and a lot more so so and bad ones. Both have a lot of work to do just to prove they'll be better then average. Don't make it seem like Darnold is guaranteed to be better then Allen. You wishing it won't make it happen. Darnold has to make it happen.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This is where you lose me. In Buffalo, their homers consider Darnold a turnover machine. To be fair both Darnold and Allen had some good games and a lot more so so and bad ones. Both have a lot of work to do just to prove they'll be better then average. Don't make it seem like Darnold is guaranteed to be better then Allen. You wishing it won't make it happen. Darnold has to make it happen.

I watched both under pressure, the difference between the 2 was Sam was much more accurate. Accuracy is EVERYTHING, it's why Brady is the GOAT and every WR or TE that leaves New England has their play fall off dramatically. 

And Sam got more accurate as he got comfortable after sitting a few games. We got killed in our last game in New England but Sam made a lot of on the money WOW throws to a UDFA in Burnett. Yes, I'm bullish on Sam because I believe Gase will help him be the type of QB that's difficult to prepare for because his off script play is not coachable. 

Josh Allens WOW plays were him running. Sams wow plays were him running to his left, throwing dimes to guys. When Sam starts playing where he doesn't have to do a lot of thinking (plays become rote), he's gonna be Favreesk. 

17 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Our defense couldn't stop Matt Barkley,(another beating for Bowles/Rogers by a backup QB). Josh McCown who had won 7 games in 4 years was our QB. 

People haven't been just malking stuff up about what kind of an offensive mind Gase is.  That comes from somewhere.  I love that he is a passionate, almost obsessed guy.  I love that he has players that he does not want on his team.  Reminds me of Parcells some. Or Belichick.  This is the kind of mindset I like.  He is not always looking for stars.  He loves tight ends (as do I).  I just do not think the Williams thing will work out. I have no evidence of it, but I am convinced tht Williams was shoved down his throat.  He can be a good DC, but he is not Gase's choice and i think that will wear on Gase.  Williams has been one and done with other teams, though.  He might even get an interview next year.  He has a lot to work with here.

On 5/19/2019 at 7:07 AM, Jetster said:

Macc is gone. 

The sky isn't falling. 

If we are going to do that how is "macc is gone" first on your list when he completely built this team?

I agree we look good going forward assuming all this drama doesn't do real damage but Buffalo is right there with us ready to battle one Brady is gone. 

57 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

If we are going to do that how is "macc is gone" first on your list when he completely built this team?

I agree we look good going forward assuming all this drama doesn't do real damage but Buffalo is right there with us ready to battle one Brady is gone. 

I just don't think Josh Allen is that good. I could be wrong but I watched games where DCs got quick pressure without letting him scramble & he was incredibly inaccurate. Like 5' over guys heads inaccurate. 

Hes a big armed guy that can burn you if he gets chances to lay one up down the field but his short and mid range throws are always off a bit. In the NFL, off a bit are many times interceptions. He's a poor mans Trubisky.

Most teams can't overcome injuries, so obviously everything I think CAN HAPPEN happens with a healthy team. 

Sam was very good the last quarter of the season. Like night & day, which tells me his trajectory based on his lack of experience might be off the charts.

Le'veon Bell is a great RB. Ok, he took a year off, ok he's 27, IF he comes into camp in terrific shape & ready to go he's the best RB the Jets have ever had. 

Swapping Kearse for Crowder is a huge upgrade! Kearse didn't even show up last year. That guy retired in his mind in the offseason. A f*cking mannequin could have replaced him. Anderson was pretty much working on his own after Quincy went down because Burnett was learning on the fly & Herndon was a rookie. 

So you don't just look at players individually in football, you look at the totality of having them ALL AVAILABLE. A healthy Quincy + Crowder (who will actually try, unlike Kearse), Anderson can not get over under coverage, because Crowder & Herndon can work the middle of the field, Quincy is a Swiss Army knife & you have the threat of a Le'veon Bell slipping out of the backfield. 

Its a symbiotic relationship with all 5 offensive players, each playing a role of spreading out the defense & forcing mismatches all over the field. They all have particular skills. Does anyone think teams can focus on Quincy like they did early last year? Not with Bell in the backfield or Herndon in his 2nd year playing & not thinking as much. Anderson will probably see a lot more single coverage which depending on the CB depth of the opposing defense could be like stealing now that Robbie has an inside out move & the back shoulder him & Sam used last year. I just don't think fans can grasp how far we've come from Geno, Salas, Nelson & Clowney. We have a legit QB, a pro bowl RB, a guy like Robbie that can easily become a 1000 yard WR, a very good slot WR, an up & coming 2nd year TE, some depth with Burnett to give Crowder a breather, and a very good RB out of the backfield like Ty to give Bell a breather. 

Its our best offensive group in a loooog time!

20 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Optimism is one thing. Blind optimism is quite another. Since I can remember we always split with the Bills and Fish. Sometimes we sweep one but it's been a while that we swept both. I can't even remember when that happened. The guys talking playoffs are in for a ride awakening. 8-8 is going to be this teams ceiling this year and if they are better than that awesome. Just make sure you are as ready to take the heat when your prediction falls short as you are ready to accept the "accolades".

I was curious about this myself.  Looked into it, and the last time the Jets managed to sweep both of those teams?  Back in 98.  They couldn't even pull it off in 2010.  So yeah, it's nowhere close to a sure thing by any measure.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That does seem at odds with the heightened enthusiasm.

He's out because he could'nt complete the roster quick enough because he made a few big mistakes. Mo was lazy & most everyone knew it so instead of reupping him he should have been traded. I guarantee you Belichick would have traded Mo like he traded Seymour & Collins. 

So that set us back. Drafting a shrimp LB instead of going Oline or WR, since we're always taking defense that pick should have been looked at like, what is a 215Lb LB gonna do in this league? Then the Hackenberg, his worst pick ever. To this day, I say to myself, how can a GM think he's smarter than the guy who coached this player & that coach passed on him? 

But, because we picked High we do have some players in Adams, Maye, Leo, Herndon, and obviously Darnold. We have some good lunchpail guys in Jenkins, Avery, Hewitt, Luvu, it's ignoring offense to help Sam that really sunk this guy after his intitial mistakes. The cupboard is far from bare.

One more good draft & free agency for Olineman, CB, WR, or even a keen GM grabbing some late cuts of veterans & young UDFAs that get released for whatever reason. It's always good to watch teams strong in certain areas not be able to retain a decent player on the practice squad. 75% of teams are made up of 4th rounders & later.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I just don't think Josh Allen is that good. I could be wrong but I watched games where DCs got quick pressure without letting him scramble & he was incredibly inaccurate. Like 5' over guys heads inaccurate. 

Hes a big armed guy that can burn you if he gets chances to lay one up down the field but his short and mid range throws are always off a bit. In the NFL, off a bit are many times interceptions. He's a poor mans Trubisky.

He showed flashes as a rookie and Buffalo, like us, had a good offseason bringing in talent around him.  I think the Jets and Buffalo are almost on equal footing.  If the QBs turn into something special both will be set up for a long time

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He showed flashes as a rookie and Buffalo, like us, had a good offseason bringing in talent around him.  I think the Jets and Buffalo are almost on equal footing.  If the QBs turn into something special both will be set up for a long time

Bills are definitely ahead of us on the Oline right now, but our DL is miles better with Henry Anderson, Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams. 

Bills line will have their hands full.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

He's out because he could'nt complete the roster quick enough because he made a few big mistakes. Mo was lazy & most everyone knew it so instead of reupping him he should have been traded. I guarantee you Belichick would have traded Mo like he traded Seymour & Collins. 

So that set us back. Drafting a shrimp LB instead of going Oline or WR, since we're always taking defense that pick should have been looked at like, what is a 215Lb LB gonna do in this league? Then the Hackenberg, his worst pick ever. To this day, I say to myself, how can a GM think he's smarter than the guy who coached this player & that coach passed on him? 

But, because we picked High we do have some players in Adams, Maye, Leo, Herndon, and obviously Darnold. We have some good lunchpail guys in Jenkins, Avery, Hewitt, Luvu, it's ignoring offense to help Sam that really sunk this guy after his intitial mistakes. The cupboard is far from bare.

One more good draft & free agency for Olineman, CB, WR, or even a keen GM grabbing some late cuts of veterans & young UDFAs that get released for whatever reason. It's always good to watch teams strong in certain areas not be able to retain a decent player on the practice squad. 75% of teams are made up of 4th rounders & later.

He made a lot more than a few big mistakes. Drafting Lee isn't in his top 3 biggest mistakes, and probably not even in his top 10.

75% of teams may be made up of 4th rounders & later (if that's even an accurate statistic counting roster bubble nobodies and kickers/punters), but certainly nowhere near 75% of starters are 4th-7th rounders and undrafted prospects. That number is probably closer to 25% than it is to 75%, and bet a third or half of those were added as veteran FAs not drafted+groomed+kept starters (i.e. they were bigger investments than 2nd/3rd round draftees).

Doubt you'd find more than maybe a max of a handful of self-drafted 4th-7th round (or UDFA) starters on most decent teams, or even on most bad ones. 

On 5/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, Jetster said:

Jets win opener & last game will be for the playoffs @ Buffalo. Bills players will be packed up & ready to hit the Golf courses. 

Difference this time? Darnold instead of Fitzpatrick, Le'veon Bell instead of Stevan Ridley, Gase/Williams instead of Bowles/Rogers.

PLAYOFFS!

You do realize the BILLS blew you out in the 1st game with their backup QB fresh off the street which in reality was the final staw for Bowles to get fired and in the second game the major factor in the Jets BARLEY winning was the 180 in return yards that the BILLS gave up with is solved by signning away your top returner. 

BILLS and JETS are on the same level in proven otherwise. Just remember for all the Sam Darnold is better than Josh Allen talk your team finshed the season 1-9 with Darnold with you lone win was against the BILLS.